Forums

Topic: NX aparantly not as powerful as PS4 rumour. Discussion on good/bad things this could mean.

Posts 241 to 260 of 384

iKhan

DefHalan wrote:

the power difference between PS3/360 and Wii was way more than PS4/XB1 and Wii U. Power isn't the problem as much as the way it was used.

I always hear this "fact" thrown around, but I haven't seen anyone back it up. I have a feeling people are making judgements with their eyes, and that's not a fair assessment. Diminishing returns will make Wii U games look closer to PS4/XB1 than Wii games were to PS360, even if the power difference was identical.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

DefHalan

iKhan wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

the power difference between PS3/360 and Wii was way more than PS4/XB1 and Wii U. Power isn't the problem as much as the way it was used.

I always hear this "fact" thrown around, but I haven't seen anyone back it up. I have a feeling people are making judgements with their eyes, and that's not a fair assessment. Diminishing returns will make Wii U games look closer to PS4/XB1 than Wii games were to PS360, even if the power difference was identical.

Well how can either side of the argument prove it? From my experience with the systems as a consumer and QA Tester the power difference between the Wii and 360/PS3 seems bigger than the power difference between Wii U and XB1/PS4, but some of that is how the software uses the power. It might not be fact but from experience it is my opinion. Sorry if I made it sound like a fact.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Bolt_Strike

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

@Blast: Sorry the quotes were getting really long. Some people enjoy Mario Party games. I hope the next system has those games honestly, they just shouldn't be considered "heavy hitters" and I think they were this generation.

I meant as in... If the NX is going for a secondary console then every 1st party game has to be amazing. The next Mario Party can't be horrible like Mario Party 10. Silly games like Animal Crossing Amiibo Party can't come before a console AC game. This is the kind of pressure the NX will face by being a secondary console. It has to have a 1st party lineup a Nintendo hardcore fan would cry for. But the second Nintendo starts doing 1st party games that nobody asked for then that will trigger the downfall of the NX. It has to all be heavy hitters because there no 3rd party support.

This. If Nintendo wants to do well in the console market, they need bigger and bolder experiences than what they crapped out this gen. Both the 3DS and Wii U's lineup was pretty mediocre compared to past gens. I think if Nintendo had come up with a Sunshine or Galaxy type of experience instead of Generic Mario Platformer U: 2D and 3D Edition, they could've demonstrated the Wii U's usefulness a bit better. Instead many of their IPs either stagnated, scaled down, or were abused with random gimmicky spinoffs. I can't name many IPs that have really benefited from what they did this gen. The NX needs these standout titles that can capture people's attention and deliver deeper experiences worthy of a console release.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

TylerTheCreator wrote:

You're right that there was a big power gap between the Wii and 360 & PS3. But I think the reason why the Wii still sold very well was because everyone's minds were blown because of the Wii's motion gaming. The Wii U's gamepad isn't as groundbreaking, so that's a reason why it isn't selling well, on top of it being not as powerful as the PS4 and XB1.

It's easy to say this with hindsight. Look at it this way, this NX thing? They already know what it is. They've likely been working on what it is for a good year or so and it likely won't come out for at least another year. Maybe more. That's how long before release they have to set everything in stone. So the same would have been true for the Wii U.

And think about that, the Wii U launched in late 2012 which means they would have likely been deciding what it was as early as 2010. Easily. They had a full working prototype including a bunch of tech demos at E3 2011. So yeah, 2010. And what was not groundbreaking about the Wii U when it launched and into it's life? Well I'd argue the fact that the idea of gaming on a tablet wasn't really..... oh, I see. 2010.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Syntech

I found the game pad to be really useful when used correctly but it was no system selling feature. I remember discussions long ago about keyboard/controler hybrids and the game pad was kind of en evolution of that idea. Unfortunately aside from off screen play, all I would want from the touch screen is quick menu buttions, keyboard, and game info (like gamers keyboard). Taking a pro controler and putting a phone sized screen in the middle of it and putting the rest if the money back into the system probably would have been better then focussing completely on the game pad.

Syntech

StarDust4Ever

Holy cow, brainstorm folks! NX = NeXus!

Remember this decade old fake prototype screenshot?
Untitled

Edited on by StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever

Nintendo Network ID: StarDust4Ever

Chaoz

That pic is completely overdesign, something Nintendo tend to not to do.

Daddy do you want some Sausage?
Wii U ID: dotmae
3DS FC: 3007-8540-3431

Nintendo Network ID: dotmae

Faruko

@Blast:

im not talking about that, my friend.
Like i wrote, you need desirability and third party support, but the first one its WAY more important, the 3DS had that covered with the glasses free stuff, it was something really amazing, the WiiU never did that, it was a novelty that stayed like that, a novelty.

It doesnt need more power than the PS4 it doesnt need to match those, developers will fix their games to be put on weaker hardware if the player base is there, the Wii had a ton of exclusive games AND even some PS3/360 games worked out to work on the Wii (CoD games) BUT more important than that, it needs to have its own identity, and no, a simple gamepad wont be enough.

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

TuVictus

That concept picture is definitely made with what people in the early 2000's picture a cutting edge piece of technology to look like. More buttons, more ports, more everything. But nowadays most people and companies take a less is more approach. Simpler, sleeker hardware designs.

TuVictus

-Green-

@Operative: I agree, Nintendo usually changes their mind, if their current mind set is costing them money.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

StarDust4Ever

Chaoz wrote:

That pic is completely overdesign, something Nintendo tend to not to do.

No, the NeoGeo was an over design.

StarDust4Ever

Nintendo Network ID: StarDust4Ever

WebHead

I'd probably still get NX. Again I think anyone expecting a $400 ps4 clone is going to be unhappy. That's just not the way Nintendo does thing.

Looking forward to an affordable, innovative box.(hopefully arm based)

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Sleepingmudkip

I learned my lesson and with the NX I will wait a few months to a year before buying this console just to see how the future for it looks.

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Blast

WebHead wrote:

I'd probably still get NX. Again I think anyone expecting a $400 ps4 clone is going to be unhappy. That's just not the way Nintendo does thing.

Looking forward to an affordable, innovative box.(hopefully arm based)

You guys keep saying "innovative" but what realistically is there left for Nintendo to attempt?

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Sleepingmudkip

@Blast: Virtual reality? I kid but exactly, for nintendo to test, patent....new innovations That costs money that I don't think nintendo can afford to spend.

RedDevilAde

TylerTheCreator wrote:

You're right that there was a big power gap between the Wii and 360 & PS3. But I think the reason why the Wii still sold very well was because everyone's minds were blown because of the Wii's motion gaming. The Wii U's gamepad isn't as groundbreaking, so that's a reason why it isn't selling well, on top of it being not as powerful as the PS4 and XB1.

I think that's only part of the story, I think that the Wii succeeded because of three factors in combination, one of which was catching everyone's imagination with the motion controls.

The other two were a really good price point at launch (which the Wii U completely failed at) and a great launch line up - there was a great casual market game (Wii Sports) and a game for core Nintendo fans (Zelda TP), the Wii U failed here too, it was decent but not great. The Wii U failed on all three of these factors. Nintendo I should really be focusing on making sure they succeed on the two which are easy for them to control (price and launch lineup). If they manage to capture everyone's imagination again then that's great but that is going to be down to luck IMO.

Rimmer: "Look, I think we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but I think that from now on the thing you should bring is silence."

Homer: "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that."

Nintendo Network ID: RedDevilAde

WebHead

@Blast: good point. The only realistic areas would be VR or wearable tech. Who knows.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Sleepingmudkip

@WebHead: Nintendo has done wearable tech before with the pedometer in wii fit U and the pokemon gen 2 remakes

Edited on by Sleepingmudkip

DefHalan

Speaking of wear-able tech http://www.playmation.com/avengers
Might be interesting as an extra for the NX or something

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

faint

heck of alot of posts for something we know nothing about.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.