Forums

Topic: NX aparantly not as powerful as PS4 rumour. Discussion on good/bad things this could mean.

Posts 221 to 240 of 384

TuVictus

iKhan wrote:

Operative wrote:

Why can't we get tools that CAN be fun while also having the fun out of the box? I mean, just put it in for those who enjoy it, especially since streaming is so extremely popular. But don't tell us it's not fun. If anything I'd argue it definitely is not good business practice to just ignore huge changes in gaming and how people consume games. It's not all that important in the end on a gameplay basis. But to just ignore the extremely huge influence that things like Twitch and game streaming have done to gaming and to list it off as "not fun" is just blinding yourself to the truth (Nintendo, not you of course).

Because then those features won't be perceived as fun. The fun experience will only come with a certain implementation. That said, it's a failure on Nintendo's part to not recognize that a whole lot of people find watching long segments of gameplay fun.

But at the same time, I think the impact of Twitch streaming is overblown. Maybe that's just my bias because I personally couldn't care less, but I don't think it has much of a meaningful impact on the medium. I think of it as almost a separate culture. On top of that, I see the culture as one with mostly content consumers, and some creators. Streaming is really only valuable to the creator.

I'm inclined to agree because I don't care for streaming at all. In fact, I find the major personalities that people love to be pretty annoying. But I wouldn't say it doesn't have a big effect. It's been observed that having a popular streamer play your game dramatically increases sales. It's like the best marketing a company could hope for, which is why I find it strange that Nintendo hasn't capitalized on it.

As for game DVR, I personally like it because it's always fun to have moments that you can save and look back on. I did that all the time with Destiny on my Ex's PS4. It was awesome to be able to rewatch something awesome that had just happened and upload it to social media so easily.

TuVictus

Blast

Aromaiden wrote:

Blast wrote:

I also hope the Nintendo fans who keep insisting that the NX doesn't really compete knows what that truly means. That means not only will the NX lose nearly 3rd party game but also that literally every 1st party game would need to be near flawless. That's a lot of pressure. No more Mario Party 10 or Animal Crossing Amiibo Party like games. If the NX is going for a secondary console role then there is no room for 1st party games that are bad and that nobody asked for!!!

If the Wii U did anything right, it was its exclusives, and even those weren't enough. The Wii U failed for many different reasons, and it's obvious that Nintendo has to learn from those mistakes and improve on those errors if they want to continue making home consoles. So since Nintendo continues to insist that they do not what to compete, then as far as I'm aware the only way they can do that is by appealing to a different demographic than Sony or MS, which will be interesting to see, to say the least.

The only demographic they should be going for is hardcore Nintendo fans. If they need to talk to actual diehard Nintendo fans to know what the audience wants then they should. And guess what? The second they try to appeal to gamers like us.... even the casuals will get interested and tag along!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

iKhan

Blast wrote:

Aromaiden wrote:

Blast wrote:

I also hope the Nintendo fans who keep insisting that the NX doesn't really compete knows what that truly means. That means not only will the NX lose nearly 3rd party game but also that literally every 1st party game would need to be near flawless. That's a lot of pressure. No more Mario Party 10 or Animal Crossing Amiibo Party like games. If the NX is going for a secondary console role then there is no room for 1st party games that are bad and that nobody asked for!!!

If the Wii U did anything right, it was its exclusives, and even those weren't enough. The Wii U failed for many different reasons, and it's obvious that Nintendo has to learn from those mistakes and improve on those errors if they want to continue making home consoles. So since Nintendo continues to insist that they do not what to compete, then as far as I'm aware the only way they can do that is by appealing to a different demographic than Sony or MS, which will be interesting to see, to say the least.

The only demographic they should be going for is hardcore Nintendo fans. If they need to talk to actual diehard Nintendo fans to know what the audience wants then they should. And guess what? The second they try to appeal to gamers like us.... even the casuals will get interested and tag along!

Yeah no. You know what platforms were bought by mostly hardcore Nintendo fans? The Gamecube and the Wii U. Those platforms pretty much only sold to Nintendo fans and children.

Nintendo should work on either appealing to the mass market (the folks who mostly play Madden, CoD, Minecraft, Mario etc., I like to call them semi-casuals), the casual mutliplayer market (Just Dance and Wii Party), or completely new markets.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Faruko

I dont get all these "power" discussions about consoles, especiall when both "next-gen" consoles cant even support what has been the norm in PC for years, 1080p and 60fps, they hardly support 1080p with variable 30fps, let alone stable.

Console its all about being "desirable" and getting third party support, both things werent done by Nintendo and the WiiU was quickly out of the scene.

Edited on by Faruko

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

DefHalan

What do people that own a PS4 or XB1 gain from Nintendo making a new system that basically copies the XB1 or PS4? How can Nintendo gain interest in their product that is basically the same as the other two products? Nintendo needs to target those that don't own a XB1 or PS4 already. How do they do that? Should Nintendo compete directly with the twins or should they carve out their own area? These are the questions we should be asking. Power doesn't matter, what they do with their power is what matters. Having a system less/same/more powerful than XB1 or PS4 will be decided by their business strategy, not the other way around.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Blast

DefHalan wrote:

What do people that own a PS4 or XB1 gain from Nintendo making a new system that basically copies the XB1 or PS4? How can Nintendo gain interest in their product that is basically the same as the other two products? Nintendo needs to target those that don't own a XB1 or PS4 already. How do they do that? Should Nintendo compete directly with the twins or should they carve out their own area? These are the questions we should be asking. Power doesn't matter, what they do with their power is what matters. Having a system less/same/more powerful than XB1 or PS4 will be decided by their business strategy, not the other way around.

You do know that one of the biggest reasons the Wii U isn't selling like crazy is because of power, right? Wii U will never get a power demanding 3rd party game and it hurts the system. And they should still target core gamers. Nintendo should be tired of missing out 3rd party support. A secondary console that relies just on 1st party games cannot survive, my friend.

Master of the Hype Train

Blast

Faruko wrote:

I dont get all these "power" discussions about consoles, especiall when both "next-gen" consoles cant even support what has been the norm in PC for years, 1080p and 60fps, they hardly support 1080p with variable 30fps, let alone stable.

Console its all about being "desirable" and getting third party support, both things werent done by Nintendo and the WiiU was quickly out of the scene.

Ummm... Power matters. If a 3rd party game comes out and it demands great specs, Wii U can't even get it. The exact same situation can happen to NX. I want a console where I can enjoy my Final Fantasy and Zelda on the same platform. Is that sooo hard to ask for?

Master of the Hype Train

DefHalan

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

You do know that one of the biggest reasons the Wii U isn't selling like crazy is because of power, right? Wii U will never get a power demanding 3rd party game and it hurts the system. And they should still target core gamers. Nintendo should be tired of missing out 3rd party support. A secondary console that relies just on 1st party games cannot survive, my friend.

The Wii sold like crazy and had tons of 3rd Party support but the power difference between PS3/360 and Wii was way more than PS4/XB1 and Wii U. Power isn't the problem as much as the way it was used. Having a poorly selling system with lots of power would have driven away 3rd Parties also. Trying to blame the Wii U's power for its current state is missing the big picture.

Power is a factor, not the answer. We need to figure out Nintendo's business strategy and then we will have an idea at how much power they will need.

Edited on by DefHalan

Blast

DefHalan wrote:

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

The Wii sold like crazy and had tons of 3rd Party support but the power difference between PS3/360 and Wii was way more than PS4/XB1 and Wii U. Power isn't the problem as much as the way it was used. Having a poorly selling system with lots of power would have driven away 3rd Parties also. Trying to blame the Wii U's power for its current state is missing the big picture.

Power is a factor, not the answer. We need to figure out Nintendo's business strategy and then we will have an idea at how much power they will need.

Then what's the other option? Chase after another gimmick? What innovation is there left?

Master of the Hype Train

DefHalan

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Then what's the other option? Chase after another gimmick? What innovation is there left?

What good is chasing the PS4/XB1 crowd? They already own a system and are unlikely to get a Nintendo system that is basically the same.

Blast

DefHalan wrote:

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

What good is chasing the PS4/XB1 crowd? They already own a system and are unlikely to get a Nintendo system that is basically the same.

A Nintendo system that had 3rd party support and amazing 1st party games would easily destroy the competition. Theres still a huge amount of Wii U owners like me who havent bought a Xbox One or PS4 yet. It all depends on when this NX is supposed to release and timing.

Master of the Hype Train

DefHalan

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

A Nintendo system that had 3rd party support and amazing 1st party games would easily destroy the competition. Theres still a huge amount of Wii U owners like me who havent bought a Xbox One or PS4 yet. It all depends on when this NX is supposed to release and timing.

So who is the next system supposed to sell to? Wii U owners? XB1/PS4 owners? Another group of people? If it is supposed to sell to Wii U owners, then they don't need another system, those people already own the Wii U. If it is supposed to sell to XB1/PS4 owners, how will providing them a similar machine and similar games to what they already have going to sell them on the machine? What does this other group of people want in a gaming machine? Is it even worth Nintendo's time trying to find this group of people or are they already satisfied with the Mobile Market?

Edited on by DefHalan

Blast

DefHalan wrote:

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Blast wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

So who is the next system supposed to sell to? Wii U owners? XB1/PS4 owners? Another group of people? If it is supposed to sell to Wii U owners, then they don't need another system, those people already own the Wii U. If it is supposed to sell to XB1/PS4 owners, how will providing them a similar machine and similar games to what they already have going to sell them on the machine? What does this other group of people want in a gaming machine? Is it even worth Nintendo's time trying to find this group of people or are they already satisfied with the Mobile Market?

Great questions, man. I honestly don't fully know but I do know that I don't want a Nintendo console that is doomed. If they go for the secondary console role then they need to excel in every possible way. No room for mistakes. No more 1st party games like Mario Party 10, Animal Crossing Amiibo Party, etc. It means more games like Splatoon, Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox Zero, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, etc.

Master of the Hype Train

TylerTheCreator

DefHalan wrote:

You're right that there was a big power gap between the Wii and 360 & PS3. But I think the reason why the Wii still sold very well was because everyone's minds were blown because of the Wii's motion gaming. The Wii U's gamepad isn't as groundbreaking, so that's a reason why it isn't selling well, on top of it being not as powerful as the PS4 and XB1.

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

DefHalan

TylerTheCreator wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

You're right that there was a big power gap between the Wii and 360 & PS3. But I think the reason why the Wii still sold very well was because everyone's minds were blown because of the Wii's motion gaming. The Wii U's gamepad isn't as groundbreaking, so that's a reason why it isn't selling well, on top of it being not as powerful as the PS4 and XB1.

I think the GamePad is a great controller and delivered exactly the experience they wanted, the problem with the GamePad was the games didn't justify its experience. Nintendo failed to show the GamePad's usefulness and that is the biggest reason why it failed, it has nothing to do with the actual hardware, in my opinion.

rallydefault

@DefHalan: Yea, this is a good point. I am a gamer who already owns an Xbox One and PS4...so...yea, I don't want another one of those. I want a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games.

BUT, I do realize that I am in a minority. Only about 40 million people currently own a console of THIS generation, and that's a generous estimate. Going off of numbers from last generation, there is potentially WELL OVER 100+ million people that are still likely to buy a current-generation console. Lots of fish still out there.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

DefHalan

@Blast: Sorry the quotes were getting really long. Some people enjoy Mario Party games. I hope the next system has those games honestly, they just shouldn't be considered "heavy hitters" and I think they were this generation.

TylerTheCreator

DefHalan wrote:

I think the GamePad is a great controller and delivered exactly the experience they wanted, the problem with the GamePad was the games didn't justify its experience. Nintendo failed to show the GamePad's usefulness and that is the biggest reason why it failed, it has nothing to do with the actual hardware, in my opinion.

I agree. The GamePad isn't useful.

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

DefHalan

@rallydefault: I wonder how many of those 100 Million systems were purchasing a new system to replace an old one or buying a second or 3rd console for your house? Last generation went on for a long time and people re-bought systems or bought multiples which hasn't occurred in this generation yet. I wonder how much bigger the audience really is. Now might be the time people start buying a second system for those experiences they are missing out on or for another TV in the house. Lots of factors to think about.

Blast

DefHalan wrote:

@Blast: Sorry the quotes were getting really long. Some people enjoy Mario Party games. I hope the next system has those games honestly, they just shouldn't be considered "heavy hitters" and I think they were this generation.

I meant as in... If the NX is going for a secondary console then every 1st party game has to be amazing. The next Mario Party can't be horrible like Mario Party 10. Silly games like Animal Crossing Amiibo Party can't come before a console AC game. This is the kind of pressure the NX will face by being a secondary console. It has to have a 1st party lineup a Nintendo hardcore fan would cry for. But the second Nintendo starts doing 1st party games that nobody asked for then that will trigger the downfall of the NX. It has to all be heavy hitters because there no 3rd party support.

Master of the Hype Train

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.