Forums

Topic: NX aparantly not as powerful as PS4 rumour. Discussion on good/bad things this could mean.

Posts 161 to 180 of 384

DjLewe78

Sorry im not THAT tech savvy but if its true Nintendo wants everything to be connected wouldn't it need 16gb to link smartphones, online play, consoles etc?

1 up !

skywake

DjLewe78 wrote:

Sorry im not THAT tech savvy but if its true Nintendo wants everything to be connected wouldn't it need 16gb to link smartphones, online play, consoles etc?

Nothing more than what happens already. The Wii U already communicates with the eShop, Miiverse and so on. And even if you think the Wii U doesn't really do it much then the PS4 does it and the XBOne does quite a lot of stuff ontop of just gaming. The bigger reason for more RAM in a console is that it allows bigger worlds and higher resolution textures. The problem is though that you don't get that for free, you need a powerful enough GPU first and then the extra RAM is to "feed" it. Basically for gaming extra RAM is only worth it if they have the horespower to drive it.

When you read specs on some recent PC games? The minimum specs are usually around 4-6GB of system memory and 1-2GB of VRAM. The recommended specs are usually 6-8GB of system memory and 2-4GB of VRAM. Which means that even on PC where things aren't as efficient the devs are talking about 12GB of memory total and are often ok with 8GB. Which is why I think 16GB seems a bit excessive for a system that wouldn't even be close to competing with the highest end PCs. If anything if it's between the XBOne and PS4 it'd be more in line with the minimum specs.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

kyuubikid213

BlackSpy wrote:

If third parties really did get a glance of the NX and the reception was positive, why are we buying into the rumors that the NX is inefficient and underpowered?

To be the Devil's Advocate for this post, I'll say that the NX could still be "underpowered" compared to the PS4 and One, but have some feature(s) that third parties fancied. Either that or it could just be easier to port to. There's many ways the NX could have gotten positive reactions from third parties and still be "underpowered.

It could even be...(fingers crossed)...a handheld that's around (or above) PS Vita level specs, but with Nintendo charm.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

rallydefault

BlackSpy wrote:

If third parties really did get a glance of the NX and the reception was positive, why are we buying into the rumors that the NX is inefficient and underpowered?

Very good point. There are plenty of third parties out there that are willing to work with anything if it has a large install base, but I would think more than a few would be vocally hesitant to work with yet another underpowered Nintendo console. But I'm sure said third parties are under all sorts of "don't say anything" clauses lol

@skywake
Yea, don't trust metacritic. I try to speak from personal experience rather than "what I hear," you know? Also, I used stuck with the Pikmin - 3D World time range because it best demonstrates the game drought the Wii U experienced after launch. And YES, it did experience a game draught. I was there. You can't get around that one.

I never argued that the Wii U's launch was bad, did I? I didn't. I argued that most of the games released were very iterative and felt very samey to what was already out there, while the Xbox One and PS4 had completely new IPs launching OR brand-new third party games. The Wii U didn't really have that. I would say just about the only completely "new" game the Wii U had at launch was ZombiU. Everything else was either iterative or already released on other platforms months prior.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

kyuubikid213

rallydefault wrote:

I never argued that the Wii U's launch was bad, did I? I didn't. I argued that most of the games released were very iterative and felt very samey to what was already out there, while the Xbox One and PS4 had completely new IPs launching OR brand-new third party games. The Wii U didn't really have that. I would say just about the only completely "new" game the Wii U had at launch was ZombiU. Everything else was either iterative or already released on other platforms months prior.

Edit: I italicized all of the "new" games for each launch. I didn't count sequels. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

PS4 Launch Titles http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Launch_T...

• Knack
  • Killzone Shadow Fall
  • Skylanders Swap Force
  • Contrast
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Resogun
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • Need for Speed: Rivals
  • Battlefield 4
  • LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
  • Madden 25
  • FIFA 14

Xbox One Launch Titles http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xbox_One_Launch_Titles

• Need for Speed: Rivals
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Battlefield 4
  • Forza 5
  • Fighter Within
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • Skylanders Swap Force
  • LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
  • Zoo Tycoon
  • Killer Instinct
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Madden 25
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • FIFA 14

Wii U Launch Titles http://www.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Launch_Games_(US)

• Assassin's Creed III
  • Batman Arkham City Armored Edition
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  • Chasing Aurora
  • Darksiders II
  • Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
  • "EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13"
  • ESPN Sports Connection
  • Game Party Champions
  • Just Dance 4
  • Little Inferno
  • Madden NFL 13
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition
  • Nano Assault Neo
  • NBA 2K13
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
  • Nintendo Land
  • Rabbids Land
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Sing Party
  • Skylanders Giants
  • Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Tank! Tank! Tank!
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
  • Transformers Prime
  • Trine 2: Director's Cut
  • Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
  • Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
  • Wipeout: The Game 3
  • ZombiU

I don't know about you, but the Wii U's launch lineup doesn't seem any more or less iterative, samey, or already released.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

skywake

@rallydefault: The point that people were trying to make was that the Wii U was a stop-gap. A console that Nintendo never intended to support and that the NX was the "real" Wii successor. Citing the early drought of releases. All I'm saying is that they did support it and they did push out games. It got as much support in that first year as other consoles have had in their first year in recent times. Also that if you're going to include Ryse then you have to include Zombi U and that if the wait for Pikmin 3 is damning then so is the wait for the Halo Collection.

I'm not saying the XBOne is a horrible system. All I'm saying is that Nintendo pushed the Wii U as hard as the other guys pushed their system. It was third parties who pulled back and they pulled back because it wasn't the system that most consumers wanted. It's easy to say Nintendo just sat on their hands because of the end result but they most definitely did not.

Edited on by skywake

N1ntendodo

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/wii-u-is-the-most-energy-efficie... Bringing in this to the discussion table as to why it's good. Something MANY have overlooked and is indeed a strength. Aside from the hybrid console option, there can be good options to trade away power for. Other than Nintendo, who are known to be first in the power EFFICIENCY race, the rest of today's gaming industry really need to learn to do more with less. If this continues, something crazy will happen like perhaps the EPA making legitimate motions to attack the gaming industry for using so much energy. Wouldn't you like to see instead how minimum the power is needed in a console to produce PS4 like performance than what the actual PS4 is churning?

N1ntendodo

N1ntendodo

To the uninitiated, non hardcore gamers at least, this can be a serious question.

N1ntendodo

rallydefault

@skywake: I never accused you of saying "XBOne is a horrible system" - it's ok, relax lol
And of course they supported the console - they had to! It's their console, after all. I really don't know whether the Wii U was a "stop gap," and neither do you. I'm just saying, I really wouldn't be surprised if, decades from now, somebody does some kind of retrospective on Nintendo and some development guy in an interview says something like, "Yea, the Wii U... <laughs>...we weren't ready for that one. The Wii fell off for us pretty quickly and we had to do something."

@kyuubikid213
Ah, see, that list LOOKS nice, but what you don't mention is that MOST (if not all, actually...) of the third-party games released for the Wii U's launch were released up to MONTHS before on already-existing platforms, whereas the third-party stuff on PS4/Xbox One were brand-new, for the most part. So, yea, that kind of makes all of those games "samey" in my eyes. Unless you were 100% a Nintendo-only gamer, chances were you already played or watched those games.

So, yea, that kills the comparison entirely. So, I'm sorry - you obviously put way more effort into that rebuttal than I would have, but your entire argument is flawed and actually serves to prove my point. The Wii U had, at launch, VERY LITTLE that was entirely new. That point is now shown stronger than ever.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

skywake

N1ntendodo wrote:

Other than Nintendo, who are known to be first in the power EFFICIENCY race, the rest of today's gaming industry really need to learn to do more with less.

Even in that sense it depends on what you mean by "efficient". Of course a less powerful machine will use less power, it only makes sense. But the least powerful machine isn't necessarily the most power efficient given it's also doing less.

Using the newest generation of AMD cards as an example.... purely because that's likely what a console coming out in a couple of years will be based on. Here's a list of GFLOP/W, basically the rated performance divided by the rated heat output. So higher is better. You'll notice that the reverse is true, the higher powered cards tend to be the most efficient:

R7 350 - 11 GFLOP/W
R7 360 - 16 GFLOP/W (PS4/XBOne spec)
R7 370 - 18 GFLOP/W
R9 380 - 18 GFLOP/W
R9 390 - 19 GFLOP/W (uses almost 4x as much power as the R7 350, is over 6x as powerful)

Edited on by skywake

veeflames

@skywake:

Even in that sense it depends on what you mean by "efficient". Of course a less powerful machine will use less power, it only makes sense. But the least powerful machine isn't necessarily the most power efficient given it's also doing less.

I guess that's true, but I'm very sure I read somewhere that the Wii U even uses less power than the Wii... And we all know the Wii can't even come close to the Wii U in terms of visuals and what not.
I'll see whether I can find a link to confirm what I just said...
EDIT: I even found this link here on this very forum page; http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/wii-u-is-the-most-energy-efficie...

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

kyuubikid213

@rallydefault: If you want, I can add the list of remakes and remasters the PS4 and One got from games that also came out on a previous system months prior. Last of Us, Tomb Raider, GTA, Sleeping Dogs, and the list goes on.

It's funny that you changed the argument to suit your needs. Yes, the Wii U had ports, but neither launch lineup was full of "entirely new" games. Between the PS4 and One alone there were only 6 new titles with the rest being sequels.

Also, I said that "the Wii U's launch was no more or less samey and iterative than the PS4 or One's". This list was not to try and skew some results to make the Wii U look better. If you want me to do that, we can point out that the Wii U got 8 "entirely new" titles out of it's whole launch lineup. Even if we take out the ports and sequels, those 8 titles remain...on top of that, there aren't even that many ports. A lot of those games came out shortly after or right around the respective PS3/360 launch.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

N1ntendodo

@skywake: Ok, but I was talking from a average gamer standpoint. Not everybody is a techie. It doesn't take much with just one look at the link provided to tell the average consumer that that's impressive. Being green with making your consoles is an interesting concept and one that is not much touched upon in talks in the gaming world. The Wii U does seem to produce PS3 like performance, give or take. If the pattern were to continue, ignoring the hybrid option, we can see PS4 like performance from the NX in the latter half of its life cycle at most. Why? It's going to be a new console and they are going to take the time to unlock hidden potential within its life cycle.

N1ntendodo

skywake

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

I guess that's true, but I'm very sure I read somewhere that the Wii U even uses less power than the Wii... And we all know the Wii can't even come close to the Wii U in terms of visuals and what not.

Well that's a separate thing. You're talking about how the same spec requires less power as the tech progresses. For example the best performing single-core GPU in AMDs lineup over the last six years or so:

2009 - 7 GFLOP/W
2010 - 11 GFLOP/W
2011 - 10 GFLOP/W
2012 - 16 GFLOP/W
2013 - 16 GFLOP/W
2014 - 19 GFLOP/W
2015 - 31 GFLOP/W

N1ntendodo wrote:

The Wii U does seem to produce PS3 like performance, give or take. If the pattern were to continue, ignoring the hybrid option, we can see PS4 like performance from the NX in the latter half of its life cycle at most.

Well as I said it's two fold. On the one hand lower powered components tend to consume less power in general. Then on the other side of that newer tech tends to be more efficient in general. And not just when there's a new console either, with the higher end consoles they tend to get more efficient as time goes on. With something that's at the other end? There's not much more they can squeeze out of it.

Edited on by skywake

N1ntendodo

I mean the Wii U had yet to make its best performances until later.

N1ntendodo

N1ntendodo

But we can hope for sooner than later.

N1ntendodo

N1ntendodo

From what you said, it should be easy for Nintendo to get the AMD cards with at least 16 GFLOP/W. However, assuming the rumor is true, they might be eyeing something for less power, BECAUSE they are aiming for the mobile market. They are trying to take on what overtook console gaming in popularity and utilize (or rather sap) mobile gaming' greatest strengths for the core console component of their business. In short, they would try to go for the masses than partake in the power race.

N1ntendodo

N1ntendodo

Of course, even if the rumor turns out to be false, having more power while pursuing the mobile market could be an interesting show to watch.

N1ntendodo

TheMisterManGuy

TwilightAngel wrote:

Ryno wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

This is why it is so difficult to understand what direction Nintendo should take.

Why is so difficult for Nintendo but not for Sony or Microsoft?

Because Nintendo is still living in the past. Well not Nintendo but the big man himself Iwata.

Actually, not everything that happens at the company is directly his fault. It more has to do with the Investors and the Kyoto based structure of the company. You might want to read this article

https://dromble.wordpress.com/2015/01/21/former-nintendo-exec...

TheMisterManGuy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.