Forums

Topic: NX aparantly not as powerful as PS4 rumour. Discussion on good/bad things this could mean.

Posts 101 to 120 of 384

iKhan

IceClimbers wrote:

Most people don't even like Evolve because of the enormous amount of DLC. I'd have honestly cared more about Dragon Age or Dying Light.

I was trying to go with some sort of quantitative scale. Evolve fell above Metacritic's threshold for "positive reviews", so I included it.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Blast

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

I have to agree with @Blast it maybe nice to see nintendo get creative but lately the core nintendo face base have been wanting for a gamecube 2.0(In terms of power and how simple yet powerful it was compared to the other systems at the time)

I wouldnt mind a gamecube 2......

Hahaha thanks. Someone who actually agrees with me.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Blast

iKhan wrote:

Blast wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

@Blast: The PS4 isn't that powerful at all. It's a low end to mid-range PC. The online? PSN has been really unstable this generation. PS4 has mostly been a PS3 with somewhat better specs. Like @iKhan said, PS4 has mostly been selling on hype and empty promises - smokes and mirrors.

PSN is still a million times better than Wii U's online. We don't have themes or a good account system. And the PS4 and Xbox One selling off smoke and mirrors isn't fair. They are both great consoles in their own way. They are selling well for good reasons.

There are literally 5 well received major releases on PS4 that weren't available on PS3 or Xbox 360. 4 of those games, Evolve, Bloodborne, Witcher 3, and Arkham Knight released in the last 6 months. Only one of those games, Infamous: Second Son, was available in the first year.

Don't believe me? Look through this, it's kind of embarassing really. http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps... Those are the only 5 major titles with green scores. You have a few indie titles like Broken Age, but even they aren't really taking advantage of PS4 hardware.

I don't see much of a good reason to buy a PS4 in there. The PS4 sold off of graphics hype and the promise of great games to come. There weren't many games that really sold the idea that you were getting a brand new experience for your $400 purchase.

Yeah, well... I'm sure Animal Crossing: Amiibo Party will be well received amazingly just like Mario Party 10. Oh wait...

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

IceClimbers

iKhan wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

Most people don't even like Evolve because of the enormous amount of DLC. I'd have honestly cared more about Dragon Age or Dying Light.

I was trying to go with some sort of quantitative scale. Evolve fell above Metacritic's threshold for "positive reviews", so I included it.

Fair enough. Big difference in the user ratings compared to the critic reviews for that game haha.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

MsJubilee

@IceClimbers: High score from reviewers praising some parts of the game and not saying a damn thing about the day one DLC, modes and repetitive gameplay. And low scores from consumers talking about both the pros and cons of the game. Odd huh?

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

iKhan

Blast wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Blast wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

@Blast: The PS4 isn't that powerful at all. It's a low end to mid-range PC. The online? PSN has been really unstable this generation. PS4 has mostly been a PS3 with somewhat better specs. Like @iKhan said, PS4 has mostly been selling on hype and empty promises - smokes and mirrors.

PSN is still a million times better than Wii U's online. We don't have themes or a good account system. And the PS4 and Xbox One selling off smoke and mirrors isn't fair. They are both great consoles in their own way. They are selling well for good reasons.

There are literally 5 well received major releases on PS4 that weren't available on PS3 or Xbox 360. 4 of those games, Evolve, Bloodborne, Witcher 3, and Arkham Knight released in the last 6 months. Only one of those games, Infamous: Second Son, was available in the first year.

Don't believe me? Look through this, it's kind of embarassing really. http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps... Those are the only 5 major titles with green scores. You have a few indie titles like Broken Age, but even they aren't really taking advantage of PS4 hardware.

I don't see much of a good reason to buy a PS4 in there. The PS4 sold off of graphics hype and the promise of great games to come. There weren't many games that really sold the idea that you were getting a brand new experience for your $400 purchase.

Yeah, well... I'm sure Animal Crossing: Amiibo Party will be well received amazingly just like Mario Party 10. Oh wait...

What does that have to do with anything? I'm talking about overall numbers of games with a score of 75 or higher on metacritic. Not particular instances months into the future.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CaptainToad777

All these rumours and discussions about another nintendo console that is underpowered I have to another theory.

Could it be that the wii u was never meant to be succesful? Could it be that it was never really planned to be released?
I mean, the wii was doing great and nintendo might have thought its success would last much longer than it did. They might have already worked on the nx but realized that it simply wasnt ready. They had to move, bring out a new console. An hd updated wii u or something. That would explain the poor launch titles and the game droughts that followed and follow to this day.

What do you think about this?

CaptainToad777

erv

@CaptainToad777: that has crossed my mind on multiple occasions. The wii U was a calculated hit to take after being disrupted by the increasing availability of the smartphone and tablet devices all over, appealing to the same market segment to boot.

The wii U has the cheddar cheese vibe, where it's fun and all but not a homerun concept in execution. They made up for it with absolutely awesome games if you ask me, but in terms of business - yeah, the wii was outclassed sooner and nintendo rushed the wii U out.

NX is going to be a much more thorough concept by the very nature of things. I wouldn't be surprised to see them adapt the same model of incremental releases as ipads do, because those were their disruptors, with each device slowly becoming inadequate but still similar because of architecture and OS. Whatever NX is could be the first of the type NX, with more to come every other year and in different form factors - to each their own.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

CaptainToad777

erv wrote:

@CaptainToad777: that has crossed my mind on multiple occasions. The wii U was a calculated hit to take after being disrupted by the increasing availability of the smartphone and tablet devices all over, appealing to the same market segment to boot.

The wii U has the cheddar cheese vibe, where it's fun and all but not a homerun concept in execution. They made up for it with absolutely awesome games if you ask me, but in terms of business - yeah, the wii was outclassed sooner and nintendo rushed the wii U out.

NX is going to be a much more thorough concept by the very nature of things. I wouldn't be surprised to see them adapt the same model of incremental releases as ipads do, because those were their disruptors, with each device slowly becoming inadequate but still similar because of architecture and OS. Whatever NX is could be the first of the type NX, with more to come every other year and in different form factors - to each their own.

Exactly they might have realized their new technology is not ready yet, or maybe they were out totally out of concepts or were just experimenting with a tablet controller.
I dont regret having bought the wii u at all, like you said, there are some amazing games out there on the wii u and hopefully a couple more will be coming out.

CaptainToad777

skywake

@CaptainToad777: The main problem with this theory is that the Wii U isn't "just" a Wii HD. It was a pretty big leap in performance. The only reason it doesn't seem like a massive jump was because everyone compared it to the PS3 and PS4. Which were consoles that pushed the limits of the hardware and sold at a loss. It would be like if someone else came out today with a "console" that has a GTX980 in it and sold it for $500US. That's what the 360 was. So the fact that the Wii U doesn't look like that much of a jump from the 360? Well of course it doesn't. The truth is they could have skimped on the spec far more if the intent was just to have a stop-gap before their "real" system.

In terms or relative power within the console generation? The Wii U is the PS2 and the PS4 is the XBox. They're only about that far behind. I mean if they really wanted to cheap out they could have sold us a glorified Nintendo-branded version of the Playstaion TV. But they didn't. The Wii U itself isn't a bad machine.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

CaptainToad777

skywake wrote:

@CaptainToad777: The main problem with this theory is that the Wii U isn't "just" a Wii HD. It was a pretty big leap in performance. The only reason it doesn't seem like a massive jump was because everyone compared it to the PS3 and PS4. Which were consoles that pushed the limits of the hardware and sold at a loss. It would be like if someone else came out today with a "console" that has a GTX980 in it and sold it for $500US. That's what the 360 was. So the fact that the Wii U doesn't look like that much of a jump from the 360? Well of course it doesn't. The truth is they could have skimped on the spec far more if the intent was just to have a stop-gap before their "real" system.

In terms or relative power within the console generation? The Wii U is the PS2 and the PS4 is the XBox. They're only about that far behind. I mean if they really wanted to cheap out they could have sold us a glorified Nintendo-branded version of the Playstaion TV. But they didn't. The Wii U itself isn't a bad machine.

Of course its just a theory, but this theory isnt just about the specs, its also about the launch games and the release calendar. It seems as if they werent prepared, I mean of course you might have a weak launch line up due to titles being delayed and stuff but when you have a look at all the game droughts that followed and the general release policy you may wonder if nintendo had a serious approach to the wii u - besides I was even at the impression that the 3ds was much better supported.
Morever it never seemed to me as if nintendo really cared about the wii u - lack of proper marketing! Or even when they realized that the wii u wasnt selling like bread they didnt really intervene IMHO. Until now they have sold 10 million units, thats a big number when you think that these people bought the console primarily for the nintendo games (I doubt that the gamepad was the biggest selling point or the lack of third party support). So nintendo should be aware that there are 10 million fans out there who like their product, thats a lot - I doubt people would buy an xbox just for forza or halo if it were heavily neglected by third parties. Yet millions of people bought the wii u. Nintendo should understand that this is a great fanbase to start with. But without continuous releases of proper titles, especially those that the community demands people might fall off. I mean people want a new metroid game - nintendo knows that - so why not start workin on another metroid trilogy? Release at least on title on the wii U, make an impact and people will move on to the nx to play the sequels? I would call that strategy! But no... I mean there are so many possibilieties for nintendo to bring out tiles like wave race/1080, mario sports games, all kinds of spin offs, and maybe some completly new IP - it all seems like a wasted opportunity.

CaptainToad777

DjLewe78

Imagine the amount of work Nintendo would have to do to get back the third parties.
Now if this console is weaker (the same reason they stopped developing for wii u) surely third parties would say "no thanks, i have huge teams pushing games on ps4 to the limits and we dont have any interest in asking these expert developer's to make an old fashioned game on a console that my or may not sell.
THIS IS WHAT CONFUSES ME!
Now i can understand Nintendo making this android box thing to stream 1st party games and if its sells millions, third parties may take an interest. But no way at the start.
Maybe Nintendos best bet to get into peoples homes IS to be a second choice console.
If us Nintendo fans want withcher 3 then we should buy a PS4. Thats it.
Whilst gaming last night at a friends, one guy was playing GTAV almost all night, the rest of us were playing 8 ball pool on our phones!
Has anyone else seen this sort of thing happen ? Cos i see it quite a lot now, which is what Nintendo see?

1 up !

skywake

@CaptainToad777: Well the 3DS launch wasn't much better, we just forget how bad it was because the sales picked up. Picked up after the release of three big titles, a price drop AND a deal where existing owners were compensated for the price cut. The 3DS launched in March and the first big release was OoT 3D in June. Before then the best 3DS games were Nintendogs and Street Fighter. The big launch title was Steeldiver. I'd take New SMB, Zombi U, Nintendo Land and the bucket load of 360/PS3 ports over the 3DS launch just in terms of the volume of content.

So yeah, I don't think the Wii U was a quick thing just to tide them over. It was decent hardware and they definitely put a lot of development time into it early. The reason why the releases were slow is precisely because it wasn't a quick fix. It was them hitting the wall with HD game development while simultaneously working on games for a portable that were 'Wii era' graphics. I doubt that it's any more complicated then that.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

kyuubikid213

@Blast
Well, that's the thing. I had spent time with a PS4 and a One. Multiple times. I have friends who got them when we were living on campus at college...and I've hung out with another friend that got a PS4. The PS4 is just a prettier PS3 and we're only just now seeing games that are being made specifically for the 8th generation consoles...which still could have arguably been done on the 7th gen consoles with a little less visual polish.

Whenever I talk to people who own a PS4 or One, they only talk about how much better their games look. No one talks to me about the gameplay experience. No one talks to me about how the Dual Shock 4 affects their gameplay (I prefer it to the Dual Shock 3 any day...). No one says anything about the system or games except "These graphics are amazing."

I had a friend tell me to get a PS4 to get GTAV. I said GTAV looked cool, but I'd get it on the 360 because I wasn't going to spend $460 to play the game. They told me the 360 version didn't look as good as the PS4 version and that it'd be worth it. No mention of the first person perspective (which is cool, but still not enough incentive for me to get a new machine), just the graphics.

All that being said, the PS4 looks worth it to me NOW. Even if the experiences of these upcoming games could still be done on a PS3, they're not being cross-released anymore and I've finally seen games I'm interested in that I can't get on my 360.

Sorry about the wall of text.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

CaptainToad777

kyuubikid213 wrote:

@Blast
Well, that's the thing. I had spent time with a PS4 and a One. Multiple times. I have friends who got them when we were living on campus at college...and I've hung out with another friend that got a PS4. The PS4 is just a prettier PS3 and we're only just now seeing games that are being made specifically for the 8th generation consoles...which still could have arguably been done on the 7th gen consoles with a little less visual polish.

Whenever I talk to people who own a PS4 or One, they only talk about how much better their games look. No one talks to me about the gameplay experience. No one talks to me about how the Dual Shock 4 affects their gameplay (I prefer it to the Dual Shock 3 any day...). No one says anything about the system or games except "These graphics are amazing."

I had a friend tell me to get a PS4 to get GTAV. I said GTAV looked cool, but I'd get it on the 360 because I wasn't going to spend $460 to play the game. They told me the 360 version didn't look as good as the PS4 version and that it'd be worth it. No mention of the first person perspective (which is cool, but still not enough incentive for me to get a new machine), just the graphics.

All that being said, the PS4 looks worth it to me NOW. Even if the experiences of these upcoming games could still be done on a PS3, they're not being cross-released anymore and I've finally seen games I'm interested in that I can't get on my 360.

Sorry about the wall of text.

You are definitely right! The new gen of consoles didnt bring many new things to the table. Its mostly graphics and its resolution that we can see an improvement. Gameplaywise its the same old story. But then again, we are talking about video games here. I like to compare it with cars - all cars are similar in a way, and so are videogames! You cannot re-invent the wheel in a meaningful way, but you can make it look nicer. Same goes for nintendo as well, I mean Mario Kart 8 is basically a mario kart game. New super mario bros is not so much different from the original. Improving specs will not necessarily grant new game experiences, sure the graphics are nicer to look at and open worlds might become bigger, the question is, however, is there anything to do in that huge open world?

CaptainToad777

rallydefault

@CaptainToad777: Your theory is very interesting, actually, and of course we can all find reasons to agree and disagree with it. We'll never know the truth, though, unless someone at Nintendo decides to break the silence at some point down the line and tell the world how it really went down. If that ever happens, though, I wouldn't be surprised to hear something along the lines of "the Wii U was just a place holder." Honestly.

The releases HAVE felt very scattered and rushed and not ready. I mean, I LOVE NSMBU. I still play it today. But that was not a proper launch game at all. Not exactly an "epic" experience, you know? Xbox One had Ryse (hey, I thought it was great, and it really showed off the hardware, had multiplayer, etc.) and PS4 had Killzone (BIG franchise for PS fans), and Wii U had... a 2D Mario in the same exact vein as 2D Marios recently put out on 3DS/DS. Felt a bit weird. And then...nothing...for a LONG time. What was it, really? Pikmin 3? Was that the next actual "big" Nintendo release? And that wasn't until the early summer or something, about half a year from launch. Those were dark days lol

Woof. Yea. Felt a bit janky and not-planned-out. Almost like they were caught a bit flat-footed in having a new console to develop for? I really do think Nintendo was taken a little off guard with exactly how quickly the Wii fell off and how fast the competition was catching up in terms of market share, so something had to be done to advance the brand.

rallydefault

ricklongo

rallydefault wrote:

The releases HAVE felt very scattered and rushed and not ready. I mean, I LOVE NSMBU. I still play it today. But that was not a proper launch game at all. Not exactly an "epic" experience, you know? Xbox One had Ryse (hey, I thought it was great, and it really showed off the hardware, had multiplayer, etc.) and PS4 had Killzone (BIG franchise for PS fans), and Wii U had... a 2D Mario in the same exact vein as 2D Marios recently put out on 3DS/DS. Felt a bit weird.

I do understand what you're saying in regards to what's "hype-able" in our current market, but... I'd much, much, MUCH rather have a new 2D Mario than Ryse or Killzone.

Like, it's not even close. I guess that says something about my gaming tastes in regards to the average gamer, but even from a game design standpoint, I'd stand by my opinion that Mario U is the better game by a mile.

What can I say, people buy more records by Jason Derulo than by Bob Dylan, and Avatar made ten times as much money as The Godfather. More popular certainly doesn't necessarily mean better from a technical standpoint.

Edited on by ricklongo

Visit my gaming blog: http://www.gamingsweetgaming.blogspot.com

Listen to my music: https://themoonexpresso.bandcamp.com/

Switch Friend Code: SW-3317-3992-7696 | 3DS Friend Code: 1418-8121-5054 | My Nintendo: ricklongo | Nintendo Network ID: ricardolongo | Twitter:

jump

^Even if you argue that New Super Mario Bros U is miles better than Ryse or Killzone you can't say it's miles better than New Super Mario Bros Wii or New Super Mario Bros 2 since they are so similar which is what I think the complaint is about.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

rallydefault

ricklongo wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

The releases HAVE felt very scattered and rushed and not ready. I mean, I LOVE NSMBU. I still play it today. But that was not a proper launch game at all. Not exactly an "epic" experience, you know? Xbox One had Ryse (hey, I thought it was great, and it really showed off the hardware, had multiplayer, etc.) and PS4 had Killzone (BIG franchise for PS fans), and Wii U had... a 2D Mario in the same exact vein as 2D Marios recently put out on 3DS/DS. Felt a bit weird.

I do understand what you're saying in regards to what's "hype-able" in our current market, but... I'd much, much, MUCH rather have a new 2D Mario than Ryse or Killzone.

Like, it's not even close. I guess that says something about my gaming tastes in regards to the average gamer, but even from a game design standpoint, I'd stand by my opinion that Mario U is the better game by a mile.

What can I say, people buy more records by Jason Derulo than by Bob Dylan, and Avatar made ten times as much money as The Godfather. More popular certainly doesn't necessarily mean better from a technical standpoint.

It's not that NSMBU was a bad game (it wasn't at all - like I said, I love it), but that it was just so iterative of NSMB already out on other consoles, you know? Ryse was a brand-new game in a brand-new franchise. Killzone WAS iterative, though, so I'll give you that. Sony did also have Knack, but that was a pretty poor game.

So yea, it's not that NSMBU was bad, just that it felt almost like an HD reskin of a game that already existed.

rallydefault

CaptainToad777

ricklongo wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

On this one I can agree. I take a pikmin, captain toad and actually most nintendo games overy anything that the competition offers because they are fun to play IMHO. As a matter of fact I like the positive vibe that is sprawling in nintendo games, the music, the art styles, the characters - thats what I call gaming. Thats why I will never buy a ps4 or an xbox, dont need bloodborne or the witcher - but thats a matter of personal taste I guess and from what I can tell the majority of gamers are not like me. The only thing that I am complaining about is that more could have been possible for nintendo - like a lot more - at least twice the amount of games should have been released - and in this regard my having fun would have doubled

CaptainToad777

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.