Forums

Topic: Nintendo NX Arrives March 2017!

Posts 161 to 175 of 175

jump

Octane wrote:

@jump: It just means that the NX release, mobile and DLC will cover the relative loss from the Wii U compared to last year. Could be DLC for 3DS games, or more DLC for Wii U games, but it probably means just DLC in general. Aren't the Fire Emblem games getting DLC? Anyway, everything that is not the Wii U should make up for the low Wii U forecast this year, that's the message he's trying to get across.

Probably but with the wording being Wii U in decline and what's to cover the decline and DLC included in past forecast for it to cover the decline it would have to be increasing. Unless he means as a whole DLC for Ninty has been increasing rather than specific new DLC.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

TuVictus

It would be quite interesting if Nintendo released DLC for all their major Wii U games since launch, since clearly alll their major teams are working on the NX. Imagine more worlds for 3D world, followed by some more missions for Pikmin, another cup for Mario Kart and maybe a final level for Splatoon and Smash.

It's not gonna happen but it would be a nice way to fill in the sad gaping hole that is the 2016 Wii U release schedule.

TuVictus

Monkey_Balls

I'm not convinced the NX will launch March 2017, but was given that date to satisfy the investors (by keeping the NX within the current fiscal year).

Kimishima's presentation to the investors is interesting, but considering the NX is supposed to be Nintendo's next big thing, it was barely mentioned. I've got a feeling it was a case of: "Just tell 'em it's due in March; we can always delay it."

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

DefHalan

@Monkey_Balls: I think a delay later on will cause more problems for investors than telling them straight it needed more time.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Grumblevolcano

@Octane: The known DLC this year so far is:
. FE Fates (Map Packs 1 and 2, 1 is all released while 2 starts next week)
. Smash (The February DLC with Bayonetta and Corrin)
. Hyrule Warriors and Hyrule Warriors Legends (Season pass with new content in May, July, September and November)

Think that's it given the Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Japanese DLC is rumoured to be skipping the west (Swimsuit DLC).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Monkey_Balls

@DefHalan: Have you read the report I linked to? The NX is mentioned very briefly in the middle of good sales figures - almost to hide it, it seems. The investors are only interested in money-speak (profits, etc) during a fiscal year (April to March). If Nintendo had told them the NX wouldn't be launching this fiscal year, I doubt "It needs more time" would satisfy them so much considering NX was mentioned ages ago and Nintendo's sales are flagging. Plus, with the Zelda delay? Investors want to know if their investments are solid or not.

Why March 2017, right at the end of the fiscal year? Will launching a mere 3 months after the holiday period make much of a difference regarding development time? Not really, but it makes a huge difference regarding keeping investors happy. It seems Nintendo mentioned the latest date possible in the fiscal year to give themselves more time. Had they said "December 2016", the investors would likely be wanting a solid sales forecast; had they said "later in 2017", it wouldn't fall into this fiscal year and therefore wouldn't be worth mentioning.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but a March 2017 date is very safe regarding investors. It fits into the current fiscal year, stops them asking too many questions regarding sales forecasts, and any delay mentioned later could be covered over by more sales figures, just as the current presentation seems to do. It certainly buys Nintendo more time.

I wouldn't be so cynical if we had any sort of information other than "launching March 2017". We still haven't got a name for the thing or have any clue as to what it is.

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

DefHalan

@Monkey_Balls: Actualy 3 months of development time can mean the world for a lot of game projects, and with a system launch, you want to make sure all your ducks are in a row. They don't want another Wii U Situation.

Also, it is more like 4 to 5 months, since they wouldn't want to launch it in December or end of December. they would most likely want to launch it near the beginning of Novemeber, that way it will be on store shelves for Black Friday.

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano: I don't think the Smash DLC can be counted since that was technically from the last fiscal year, though I suppose there could be leftover sales. The Fates and HW(L) DLC still work though.

Perhaps there will be Pokken DLC? Only game I can think of where DLC can really apply to now.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

VanillaLake

NX won't be sold at a loss.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-02-the-nx-wont-be-s...

This is Nintendo's typical strategy, but then the console/hybrid won't be cheap if it's powerful, or won't be powerful. In either case it's a very challenging situation for Nintendo after Wii U.

Edited on by VanillaLake

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

TuVictus

It just tells me that the gimmick they're going for is going to be on the cheap side, unlike the Wii U. Since they're committed to being on the low end of pricing. I doubt it'll be more than $350

TuVictus

iKhan

VanillaLake wrote:

This is Nintendo's typical strategy, but then the console/hybrid won't be cheap if it's powerful, or won't be powerful. In either case it's a very challenging situation for Nintendo after Wii U.

One of my biggest fears is that Nintendo thinks their main problem with the Wii U was the software at launch, and that by putting a deluge of great software on the NX at launch, they will be fine.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Therad

VanillaLake wrote:

I don't think Ms or Sony sold at a loss this time. Someone did a breakdown of components and they probably break even on the consoles.

Therad

erv

Nintendo could very well be exciting the traditional console business. Imagine a device that is usable throughout the home, like a more free game pad. The fact is Myamoto wanted to break free from the tv ages ago.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

iKhan

erv wrote:

Nintendo could very well be exciting the traditional console business. Imagine a device that is usable throughout the home, like a more free game pad. The fact is Myamoto wanted to break free from the tv ages ago.

That's how we got the Wii U, and look how well that turned out.

The reality is that, outside of Japan, the TV is the preferred center of entertainment.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

erv wrote:

Imagine a device that is usable throughout the home, like a more free game pad.

Yeah, I don't care how bad the Wii U has done. I still want this. I want one for my PC and I want one for my box that plays Nintendo games. I don't like the idea of a hybrid system but at home? I want the TV and portable systems to be one and the same.

You can get a NAS for your house that stores all of your music and movies. Gives you your entire library of media at home on whatever device you have. Then when you're not at home you have the lower quality streaming services. It should be the same for games. If I'm at home and wand to play a game on a portable system? I should be able to stream from a higher powered box on my network rather than being limited by what a portable can do.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.