Forums

Topic: I think the NX is _______

Posts 121 to 130 of 130

DefHalan

AlternateButtons wrote:

Part of me wonders if the NX is going to experiment more with the Standard controller. Motion remotes and Gamepads are cool but wouldn't it be beneficial if they went back and tried new things with a basic controller? It would definitely make it a bit easier to develop for. Though knowing Nintendo, I have a feeling they're going to come out with something from left field.

I just wonder what can you do with a standard controller that you can't do with the GamePad? The GamePad doesn't make the Wii U difficult to develop for, the system specs/architecture do that. Plenty of games just have the GamePad screen mirror the TV screen, Donkey Kong even disabled the GamePad screen. So I don't think a standard controller is needed when you have the GamePad, but making motion controllers more comparable to standard controllers could benefit them.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

iKhan

Bowser908 wrote:

@iKhan: Think, for a moment, about a Wii Remote with an analog stick. You aren't smarter than anybody at Nintendo, this obviously would have come up and be carefully considered if the Wii Remote should include an analog stick. It isn't like how analog sticks weren't necessary for the games or even in existence on home console when the SNES came out. It would have been brought up, and Nintendo, after extensive testing with a Wii Remote with an analog stick, decided it wasn't a good idea. Adding an analog stick would make it look clunkier, make it more unwieldy and ugly, and wouldn't be neccissary because of the Nunchuck. Nintendo saw all of this. You wouldn't want to put down a Wii Remote face-down anymore in fear of breaking the analog stick, and the Wii Remote is trying to be more like a TV Remote and less like a regular controller anyways.
You aren't all that, and Nintendo isn't careless in their hardware development.

You are contradicting yourself. You say new hardware brings new changes in software, but then you assert that they shouldn't put features in if current games don't demand them. Many systems tried the analog stick before the N64, it just took that long to figure out a way to make it work. Just because they couldn't figure out how to put a second analog stick on the Wii Remote doesn't mean they never will. The technology could change, the market interests could change, or the staff designing it could change.

And the small upgrades bring with them new possibilities with software, however small.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

AtomiCartridge

@DefHalan: Okay, you do have a good point that my proposed Hybrid system(s) may alienate more conservative consumers. But still, everything seems lined up for some common Nintendo OS, even if it doesn't mean a unified library. The biggest clue is that a large majority of Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games are a copy-and-paste sequel to each. Why would they have spent so much time on such similar games if they were not, at one point, intended to be a connected experience? That, and the development merging. The biggest problem about this unified OS is that there is a very fine line between what is perceived as good value to the consumer, and what is seen as cheap and superficial. Even if Nintendo got this right, there would still be a lot of hate against Nintendo, because Nintendo is unfortunately just one of those brands that gets more hate then it deserves.

Still, the current situation is not working well for Nintendo, where with the primary exception of Smash, one version of similar games vastly outsells the other. I just don't see the point in developing what appear to most consumers as two nearly identical games. If I have MK 7 I don't want MK 8. If I have Hyrule warriors U I don't need HW legends. With Nintendo's current software marketing, not only does this create an immense probability that 50% games are likely to be rather unsuccessful compared to the other 50%, but also that half of the company's resources are spent on what are "clones" to the consumer. Meanwhile, because the lack of heavily profitable games, and with so much development being spent on two nearly identical games, libraries for both individual consoles feel quite small. One thing is for sure, this system of creating two very similar games is not doing well for Nintendo OR the consumer. Hopefully a unified OS means that development is spent on one game at a time instead of two separate projects, which would mean that not only would they have to make half of the games they do now, but each game would, theoretically, sell twice as much, making one individual games 4 times more profitable to Nintendo than it is now.

Twilight Symphony. Enough Said.

My cat Ivory approves of your posts. Please continue to make more of them so that she does not consume my soul.

AtomiCartridge

@DefHalan: Honestly, the biggest problem I see with the Gamepad is that in a 299 dollar Wii U bundle we have a gamepad that easily costs 80 dollars to manufacture. Probably more, when consider that in one controller, you get -
A Massive Touchscreen ($20-40)
A Potentiometer ($1-$5)
A Microphone ($.25-$1)
Two large rumble motors ($.50-$2)
A Universal Remote ($2-$10)
An auxillary jack ($,10-$2, depending on audio fidelity)
A Wii motion bar (My guess is as good as yours. $2?)
An NFC scanner ($2-$5)
A gigantic rechargeable battery ($10, the battery design is pretty uncoventional for such a small device)
A system ram board powerful enough that there is only a single 60th of a second of delay on the LCD screen (Geez. as much as $40 considering how much the controller has to run)
Standard controller fare such as analog sticks and buttons ($1-$5)
Speakers ($2)
And what, like 3 cameras ($10-$20)
If a "Normal" controller cost about Fifteen dollars to make and the Gamepad costs somewhere from 80-100 dollars, that means, in the standard system bundle, Nintendo could have either -
Added a LOT more hard disk memory. 25 gigs of usable memory on anything other than an Ipod touch is complete garbage.
They could have added a SECOND free game right from launch. How cool would it be to not pay 60 dollars to play lousy NSMBU?
A Second standard controller, because why not
Have the system retail for fifty dollars less, making it more enticing compared to the $399 PS4 and the $499 Xbox one
Or best of all, just make the system 60-80 dollars better so it wouldn't have been obsolete from the beginning and we wouldn't even be having this thread yet.

Twilight Symphony. Enough Said.

My cat Ivory approves of your posts. Please continue to make more of them so that she does not consume my soul.

bonesawisready5

People think NX can somehow be on par with PS4, no way. Maybe half an XB1 at best. Iwata said the days of $300 consoles and $200 handhelds are over. I'm expecting $199 NX Console and $129-$149 handheld in 2016 or early 2017.

Since it seems AMD won the contract and not PowerVR (which could have provided a mobile 1.6TFlop GPU) I'm going to say Quad-core ARM 1Ghz, 1GB RAM and 5.5 inch freeform screen with buttons in it @480p in the handheld. 8-core ARM @2Ghz or more in console, 4GB RAM of DDR3 if Nintendo is cheap and maybe 1-2GB DDR5 for video, 25GB Wii U discs, 120GB SSD.

If Nintendo wants to spend a little bit more, putting HBM RAM in both would work wonders. Just 4GB of HBM in the console would put it above PS4, 2GB would suffice. 512MB or 1GB in the handheld would also do good too. 1GB of HBM has 128GB/s, more than Xbox One and below PS4 BTW. They could use the HBM pool for both system and video RAM.

The ARM CPU will assure cross platform development is easy and future-proof. I hope they choose HBM memory but they'll likely go with a DDR3/DDR5 combo.

I am hoping for a full 1080p remake of Mario 64 to go along with Sep 2016's 20th anniversary

bonesawisready5

bonesawisready5

@AlternateButtons: The hybrid you and others may be imagining won't be it. I would imagine Nintendo will ship an Apple TV like console with the handheld's guts, except maybe 2 more cores and a bit more RAM to run 1080p, and they will have standard game cards that insert into both. Develop one version of the game for two platforms

bonesawisready5

bonesawisready5

One scenario I've wondered about, what about letting other companies make NX?

Nintendo could make their own but a la MS with Windows (not that MS makes their own computers that is) license their OS and game card slot out for a small fee. So Asus, Dell, Samsung could add Nintendo game playback to their tablets, phones, set top boxes for a small fee. Users would need to buy a controller,etc. Or Nintendo could simply make profit off getting these companies to pay $10-$20 per controller to bundle with their versions of the hardware, either way Nintendo would get more software sales.

bonesawisready5

TricksterTyler

Plot twist: the NX is just Nintendo's take on VR and will be a peripheral for the Wii U much like Sony's Morpheus and Microsoft's Hololens. But seriously, I just hope it's a new and unique console. I already own a PS4 so if it's just going to be a powerful console catered to third parties I have no interest in buying it other than the first party games which just makes me the stereotypical Nintendo fan who "only buys Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games and doesn't ever support third party's but complains about the lack of them."

TricksterTyler

Oragami

I hope it's a return to form in the aspect of control, like consoles such as the GameCube and N64 in that the controller is just a normal controller

New PS4 owner
Yeah, guitars are cool.

My musical project Comet Tail made a couple of recordings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zUoWWO1v4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evBddvrm2U

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.