Forums

Topic: I think the NX is _______

Posts 101 to 120 of 130

Bowser908

@AtomiCartridge: They merged it because the consoles and portables are likely in the future to use common languages, runtime environments, tools, and architecture. But they're not going to be unified into a "hybrid". It's just that they're planning on sharing some tools. By "unified platform", they're talking about how the games will be developed on the inside. You can't see the code, and you aren't a Nintendo developer, so you won't notice it.

Bowser908

Bowser908

@iKhan: Think, for a moment, about a Wii Remote with an analog stick. You aren't smarter than anybody at Nintendo, this obviously would have come up and be carefully considered if the Wii Remote should include an analog stick. It isn't like how analog sticks weren't necessary for the games or even in existence on home console when the SNES came out. It would have been brought up, and Nintendo, after extensive testing with a Wii Remote with an analog stick, decided it wasn't a good idea. Adding an analog stick would make it look clunkier, make it more unwieldy and ugly, and wouldn't be neccissary because of the Nunchuck. Nintendo saw all of this. You wouldn't want to put down a Wii Remote face-down anymore in fear of breaking the analog stick, and the Wii Remote is trying to be more like a TV Remote and less like a regular controller anyways.
You aren't all that, and Nintendo isn't careless in their hardware development.

Bowser908

Bowser908

AtomiCartridge wrote:

@DefHalan: Not if the content on each version of the game is worth the purchase. After all, people bought tons of copies of Smash 3D, even though we all knew it was an inferior version of the console game, and even more people bought the console version, even though it didn't have smash run or the portability factor. And so what happened is we spent $100 dollars on two games that are so dang similar, yet, they both have content locked away that we can't possibly access on one individual copy, and development for smash took absolutely forever on what ended up as two half-baked attempt on what could have easily been one massive-multiplatform game. And Smash is one of Nintendo's most successful games this generation, yet we got cheaped out on which game we owned and had minimal compatibility between the two. And look at the mobile market, too. Say an apple users likes Clash of clans. So what they'll do is collect gold and stuff on there Iphone during a coffee break. Then, when they get home they'll raid other players on their bigger, faster Ipad. I know about 5 different people IRL that did this exact thing all of the time, and look at clash of clans. For weeks on end it was the single most profitable game on the App store, beating out titans like Minecraft PE and Candy crush, and it's still doing incredibly well. So Nintendo couldn't possibly get away with some genius strategy like COC is doing?

It's because Smash on the 3DS uses different controls on a completely different system with a completely different architecture and operating system and amount of power and is constrained by the side of 3DS game carts. Smash couldn't be one "massive multiplatform game". The iPhone and iPad are very similar under the hood, and they both run the same OS and control the same. They can, and are, for most purposes be considered one platform, iOS. Not so for Wii U and 3DS, as they are completely. Different. Systems.

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

Bowser908

AtomiCartridge

@Bowser908: I never said they were a Hybrid, I said they were two consoles with similar infrastructure, like how an Iphone and an Ipad both have very similar operating systems and can, for the most part, run the same software. But they both have their own specific uses. Like, why would you make phone calls on an Ipad, or play Minecraft PE on an Iphone? You COULD get away with using an Ipad to accept calls and an Iphone for Minecraft, but you would get a fundamentally better experience on separate systems.

I think that Nintendo could make something like this work while being reasonable to the consumer. I'm sure moms would appreciate that for christmas, their kids wouldn't pester them for nearly as many different systems and games. If the portable had weaker specs, like lower resolution and ram, but the console was basically a more powerful version of the same core OS like using Nvidia 710 instead of Nvidia 460 for graphics (I'm not going to pretend I know how all of this stuff works, this is just a figure) then it could work.

Twilight Symphony. Enough Said.

My cat Ivory approves of your posts. Please continue to make more of them so that she does not consume my soul.

Sleepingmudkip

Bowser908 wrote:

Nintendo systems are seen as "kiddie consoles". Nintendo has already tried advertising the Wii U as a "super-cool gamer console", but the image will be impossible to shake as long as Nintendo is Nintendo. Because of that, Nintendo's audience is Nintendo fans and casuals, both groups unlikely to want CoD or FIFA or other third-party Western games.

Can I say that most of the casuals from the Wii era now moved on to smart phones. I think the whole "kiddie console thing" is not as prevalent now as during the Wii era. I have seen many gamers that are not Nintendo fans across the internet say that they would pick up the Wii u but lack of games on the system hinders them from going all the way.

I am sure a lot of Nintendo fans would love to see western games on Nintendo platforms. mirrors edge is a game that Me and im sure many others would enjoy and instantly but if it came to Nintendo. also if you say only Nintendo fans and casuals are going to buy Nintendo now....wouldn't that mean you are saying the NX will sell very similar(or even less) then the wii u did. Especially now that a lot of Nintendo fans have moved on to PC/PS4/Xbox1 and PS4 from what I've seen. Honestly the NX needs to sell....and I can only see that be true if Nintendo almost completely stops advertising to casuals and make a console similar to PC....whether we like it or not I don't see how it can sell any other way, We will just have to wait and see.

Edited on by Sleepingmudkip

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

DefHalan

@AtomiCartridge: People are willing to spend money on two different copies of a game if they serve two different functions. (Smash 3D being protable and Smash Wii U being easy to play in a Party Format) I don't think you will see as many people willing to buy 1 game with locked content based on which console you are playing on, it comes off as superficial. The differences between the 3DS and Wii U Smash are based on Power Limitations and System Features. If Nintendo is having to create enough content for two different versions of the game, then it will be better for everyone to charge separately for each version. Forcing people to buy a game at $80 when they only want to play it on the Home Console would turn consumers away. At that point your main audience are people that own both systems and trying to sell both systems to people will be difficult, especially if there aren't any big games that are exclusive.

If you are willing to spend more to get the game on two different systems, then your idea works out great, But if you only want to own the game for one system, why are you going to buy it for that higher price?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Bowser908

@Sleepingmudkip: Sure, most "casuals" are gaming on their phones, but the reason for that is that Nintendo tried to advertise the Wii U to "gamers". But they couldn't have gone for the casuals unless the Wii U had more games, but AAA third-party Western games aren't a big deal to "casuals". If the Wii U had more Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and other games in the "Nintendo style", it would have sold well.
The 3DS is widely successful because it has a lot of stuff kids and "casuals" want on it, like Pokemon.
I suspect the Wii U was a stopgap, they had to release something because the NX wasn't ready and the Wii had burned out earlier than Nintendo expected.
You're an idiot if you think Nintendo could actually bring a significant number of "gamers" who play Xbox or PlayStation. They need to find a market that's untapped, or use one they've lost, mainly casuals, if they want to succeed. They did it with the 3DS.
Also, what exactly is a "casual" and a "gamer"? I've always considered myself a casual.

Bowser908

DefHalan

Guitardude7 wrote:

I still fully believe the NX will be a hybrid. One of the Wii U's worst enemies is the 3DS. Each system eats a bit of the others sales. Combining the home console and hardware sector would not only allow games be easier to develop for, but it would cost consumers less money in the longrun.

I don't think that is true, and making two systems that share the exact same library would give people even less of a reason to own both of them.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Bowser908

@Guitardude7: Yes, because every household can either have one 3DS or one Wii U.
But there are many people who have a 3DS and a non-Nintendo console, but the 3DS, in itself, does not by-and-large "eat into" the Wii U's sales, the U's competitors do. Like the Wii and DS, you could have it so if you have one you're very likely to have the other.

Bowser908

Bowser908

DefHalan wrote:

@AtomiCartridge: People are willing to spend money on two different copies of a game if they serve two different functions. (Smash 3D being protable and Smash Wii U being easy to play in a Party Format) I don't think you will see as many people willing to buy 1 game with locked content based on which console you are playing on, it comes off as superficial. The differences between the 3DS and Wii U Smash are based on Power Limitations and System Features. If Nintendo is having to create enough content for two different versions of the game, then it will be better for everyone to charge separately for each version. Forcing people to buy a game at $80 when they only want to play it on the Home Console would turn consumers away. At that point your main audience are people that own both systems and trying to sell both systems to people will be difficult, especially if there aren't any big games that are exclusive.

If you are willing to spend more to get the game on two different systems, then your idea works out great, But if you only want to own the game for one system, why are you going to buy it for that higher price?

This.

Bowser908

Bowser908

Guitardude7 wrote:

@Bowser908 Dude you can have your opinion and all that but dont be so mean about it. You dont know any better than us either. Chill out.

@Guitardude7: I actually do. That's why I'm arguing with you, because I think you're wrong. I do believe I know better than you, otherwise I wouldn't bother arguing.

You can always tell when someone has lost an argument, when they're saying "everyone's opinion is equal, duuude, just chill ooouut". I'm not worked up, I'm just trying to get my point across and making sure you actually understand what I'm saying.

Bowser908

Sleepingmudkip

@Bowser908:
Yes I do agree if nintendo had more nintendo style games the system might of sold more and that was one reason why the wii u sold so poorly was lack of games and diversity of games.

I consider a casual as someone who isnt dedicated to gaming and doesn't follow the industry while a gamer games very often and is aware of the gaming industry. Next for the 3DS the situation is very different. Pokemon fan base are not all nintendo fans....here what I mean. I myself am a pokemon veteran and I know ALOT of pokemon fans didnt even get a 3ds until pokemon X & Y.(also pokemon is not a casual game....there has been a study showing the majority of X & Y players in japan were college aged people.)

http://playeressence.com/japanese-study-shows-majority-pokemo...

The 3Ds is also different as it was lunched early 2011......before The real smartphone gaming boom happened in 2012 with the launch of the iphone 5. Again the next thing is casuals like our parents want something quick and easy and a wii U honestly isnt quick and easy when you can have a fast and addicting game like candy crush or heartstone...doodlejump. Casuals like children mostly got a handheld to keep them busy but now we see 10 year olds have iphones and such so why would parents need to go buy a console when all the games they want are easily on their phone/tablet.(Also most kids now just play minecraft all day or 5NAF...)

casuals only wanted a Wii and Ds for games like wii fit and brain age because those were the cheapest places to get those experiences and at the time it seemed very revolutionary but now you can get brain age knock offs on the app stores....you can get exercise type stuff on you iphone especially with the new health app. Most casuals anyway still have and use their original wii and see no reason to upgrade.

Edited on by Sleepingmudkip

Bowser908

@Sleepingmudkip: But the difference is, there are still experiences on Nintendo systems, marketed correctly, that could reel in casuals. Phones are not ideal for games, but a 3DS is. Nintendo has to show them that. The phone and tablet gaming craze is bound to die eventually, and when it does, the App Store will dry up and most mobile developers will die. And Nintendo will be there selling to the casuals they lost before to the iPhone.
The DS or Wii would have never sold well had they not correctly marketed it, and it mostly comes down to marketing. The rest you said is more or less right. I wonder if the study is biased if it was done shortly after X&Y were released, because kids are not likely to buy games on launch day. Kids are still the main audience for Pokemon, because, however much strategy you need in the high levels, the basic campaign can be beaten easily by an 8 year old.

Edited on by Bowser908

Bowser908

Bowser908

I suggest we keep the discussion constructive -Lz

Edited on by LzWinky

Bowser908

Sleepingmudkip

@Bowser908: I am trying to say that casuals do not want a dedicated console anymore. They don't care about the 3DS, they don't care about a new console. They want a simple easy device that they can multitask with is what I am saying and a smartphone gives them that. Mobile gaming will never go away, each iphone sells more then the last, more and more people are getting smartphones to text and to check social media....if they are bored they are not going to have a bulky 3ds in their pockets, they are going to have the newest iphone. Convenience will in most cases always out beat quality.

also you need to play more dedicated mobile game because for ever 500 garbage apps there are a few really good mobile games and dont forget nintendo making mobile games too

TylerTheCreator

I've tried to figure out what the NX is, but I don't think I have the slightest idea. To me, the details given by Nintendo are too vague. I'm pretty sure that it's at least a console in some way though, since the Wii U hasn't sold well. Nintendo probably wants a console that will sell well out on the market. I just hope there is a cool concept to it. That's my two cents.

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

TylerTheCreator

AlternateButtons wrote:

Part of me wonders if the NX is going to experiment more with the Standard controller. Motion remotes and Gamepads are cool but wouldn't it be beneficial if they went back and tried new things with a basic controller? It would definitely make it a bit easier to develop for. Though knowing Nintendo, I have a feeling they're going to come out with something from left field.

If Nintendo made the NX with a standard controller, what would you want to see from the NX that would give you the "wow" factor? I'm going to ponder over this as well.

Edited on by TylerTheCreator

TylerTheCreator

Sleepingmudkip

@TylerTheCreator: seeing a metroid game would be the Wow factor to me....I am tired of a wow factor on hardware but no wow factor on the software side....games is what the NX needs the most

TylerTheCreator

@Sleepingmudkip: I think a Metroid game with today's graphics and physics would impress a lot of people. That's a good idea.

TylerTheCreator

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.