Forums

Topic: Deal-breaking Things That Would Prevent Switch Purchase?

Posts 141 to 153 of 153

-SD-

If Nintendo don't hurry up and show the damn thing then people (myself included) are just going to loose interest and get a PlayStation Pro instead. There's only so much money to go round and at least you know what you're getting with a PS4 and when it's out. The NX is still just a code name and speculation.

That's not to say I won't end up with one eventually, but at launch I'm not so sure now. However, if there's no improvement to the eShop or some sort of monthly subscription service for VC it'll delay purchase even further.

SNK - The Future is Now

Octane

@-SD- I think that waiting a while before getting it is not a bad idea at all. That's what I'm going to do at least. I'll get Zelda for Wii U, if that even is a launch game at all. And I'm just going to play the waiting game. If sales aren't great, then that's something to take into account (less support and the likes). Or in case of the 3DS, it'll get a huge price cut.

Octane

iKhan

-SD- wrote:

If Nintendo don't hurry up and show the damn thing then people (myself included) are just going to loose interest and get a PlayStation Pro instead. There's only so much money to go round and at least you know what you're getting with a PS4 and when it's out. The NX is still just a code name and speculation.

That's not to say I won't end up with one eventually, but at launch I'm not so sure now. However, if there's no improvement to the eShop or some sort of monthly subscription service for VC it'll delay purchase even further.

The PlayStation Pro is targeted at a limited demographic, and even then, that demographic will be more swayed by a brand new console than a console that can play existing games at higher resolution.

They won't have to worry much about the PSPro until games start being designed around those specs and downgraded backwards.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

I think people are a little bit too obsessed about the specs. It's fun to speculate and I'm always one of the first to jump into that sort of speculation. It's fun to talk about where it'll sit against other products with a particular set of specs. What one decision or another means. But ultimately I don't think it matters much.

From what has been said it appears it won't be a PS4 clone. Rumours have converged on the idea that this will be a device that's at least somewhat portable. And if that is the case? The specs don't really matter much at all. The NX won't live or die on how many GFLOPs or GBs it has. How could it? There's nothing else on the market in its category. Instead it'll live or die on content and price.

And we already have a bit of a picture of part of that equation.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

dtjive

^^^ Agreed. Seems to me that the NX would have pretty respectable specs, without being ground breaking, for what it is. It'll be the software and to an extent how the controllers work (given the slightly concerning rumours about them) that determines its fate, not specs.

dtjive

Therad

skywake wrote:

I think people are a little bit too obsessed about the specs. It's fun to speculate and I'm always one of the first to jump into that sort of speculation. It's fun to talk about where it'll sit against other products with a particular set of specs. What one decision or another means. But ultimately I don't think it matters much.

From what has been said it appears it won't be a PS4 clone. Rumours have converged on the idea that this will be a device that's at least somewhat portable. And if that is the case? The specs don't really matter much at all. The NX won't live or die on how many GFLOPs or GBs it has. How could it? There's nothing else on the market in its category. Instead it'll live or die on content and price.

And we already have a bit of a picture of part of that equation.

While there are no other handhelds on the market, they do have stiff competition from smartphones. So specs might not be that important, but they do need a compelling story to have people buy it. A killer app of some sort.

Therad

FragRed

@Therad I always felt Splatoon would be a killer app for handholds, especially in Japan where they went crazy over the game. And with 3 minute rounds it's actually perfect for short journeys. The only problem in the west is finding Internet connection out and about.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Ryu_Niiyama

Digital only is my only dealbreaker. However Region lock will require me to have a solid launch library for a day one purchase otherwise I'm buying japan first this time around.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

CrazedCavalier

As a student and handheld gamer, a price over $200 would be a no-go for me right now.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

ThomGee

To make me not buy the NX would probably take a lot of bad choices, but I guess if it's an underpowered, overpriced system with little to no games and no backwards compatibility, then yeah, no sell for me.

Edited on by ThomGee

ThomGee

My Nintendo: ThomGee | Nintendo Network ID: WakerOfWindsHD

Bass_X0

@CrazedCavalier You won't always be a student. And I hope the NX is a home console and portable handheld in one. No need for seperate consoles and handhelds in future. Just use the NX Game Pad as portable handheld.

Edited on by Bass_X0

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

CrazedCavalier

@Bass_X0 I'm a high-school student- by the time I'm no longer a student the NX will be getting replaced. I've been primarily a handheld gamer all my life; I don't care about flashy graphics as long as it runs decently. I'd gladly take a handheld version of the NX any day.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

ErrantEmbers

At this point? Nothing can prevent me from buying it. Not if it cost $1000. Not if the system had zero internal storage. Niot if the system had zero online capabilities. I am buying this no matter what. And I truly cannot be happier with what I see.

ErrantEmbers

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.