Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2015

Posts 61 to 80 of 219

RR529

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@RR529: Last year Dark Souls 2 which was nominated for GotY, Best RPG and Best Online Experience lost the Best Online Experience to Destiny which wasn't on the GotY list.

Yes, but that's more of a highly specific category (I meant to go over the more technical categories last time, but forgot). Out of all the categories you could possibly compare between the two, they may have thought Destiny was better in that one regard, but DSII better in all the others. However, since that one specific category was the only one being considered for that specific award, the others wouldn't factor.

On the other hand, Best Family game, just like Best Fighter, Sports, Shooter, is a much more broad category, where they compare everything that can be compared between the nominees, and since SMM got the nod over Splatoon for a GotY nomination, that already means they thought it was better in a wide array of areas, which is what they'll be looking at to determine best Family game (I mean, if the ONLY thing they were looking at was the amount of kid friendly content, some educational game we've never heard of would probably make the list).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

VelvetElvis

Geoff Keighley put out this video talking about some of the changes in store this year:

Honestly, I think most of what he says is pretty smart — less "World Premieres" (in other words, "less hype culture"), more focus on the awards themselves, and a running time that's closer to two hours than three. Geoff also seems to be getting more comfortable in front of the camera, which is a good thing.

Edited on by VelvetElvis

VelvetElvis

Nicolai

@VelvetElvis: It's too bad it's not going to be as long as last year. I don't mind watching long things broken up over time.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

shingi_70

Man Taken King shouldn't be able to be nominated as its DLC to a pre existing game.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

veeflames

So, 10 world premieres and 10 on-stage awards at the VGA.
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/11/25/the-game-awards-2015-wil...
How many of those will be Nintendo? I'm guessing only a few, but I have the feeling that we'll be blown away by one of them. Can't wait.
And what's with the on-stage awards? Are some awards going to be presented by some other means? Like online?

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Octane

@IceClimbers: I wonder if Nintendo has anything in store for us...

Octane

veeflames

@Tsurii: Ooooooh yeah, I remember that. So that means not all the rewards will be presented that night? Sucks.
@IceClimbers Why is he tweeting that out loud? Hope he's not going to do all that to the other world premieres.
Pikmin 4 reveal, anyone? Oh, how about Pokemon Z? Or... F-Zero? A new Metroid?
Possibilities are endless. Or not even existent. XD

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

DefHalan

I am betting Nintendo will not have a "World Premiere" at The Game Awards

They will most likely just show us something new with Star Fox.

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Octane

@DefHalan: World premiere doesn't necessarily mean new game. Far Cry Primal already had a trailer a while back, but I believe that gameplay will be shown first at TGA. Not sure how many other games will be shown that aren't world premieres or if those are the only games we'll see.

Nevertheless, there's still a small part in me hoping for a Pikmin 4 reveal, that's my crazy unrealistic prediction for TGA.

Octane

DefHalan

@Octane: I know, I just don't think they will have a World Premiere, unless people count a new trailer with no new information as a "World Premiere"

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Octane

@DefHalan: As soon as I posted that I realised that we've already seen gameplay of most if not all of the upcoming Nintendo titles, but yeah, it depends on what they count as a ''world premiere''.

Octane

kkslider5552000

I actually disagree with the changes talked about for the Game Awards. Last year, for a 3 hour show, I thought it was actually a pretty reason things to sit through. To me the real problem is that I HATE having not having worthwhile awards (in that I would think the Game Awards would want to consider their own awards important) actually shown on stage. I don't even like it when like the Grammys or whatever do this, but I at least understand they are limited by TV. People will watch all those Twitch Plays streams for stupid amounts of time no problem, so I feel like a 3 hour Award show is not that bad.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

RR529

1. GotY
2. DotY
3. Indie GotY
4. Handheld/Mobile GotY
5. Industry Icon Award
6. Shooter GotY
7. Action/Adventure GotY
8. RPG GotY
9. Fighting GotY
10. Sports/Racing GotY
11. Family GotY
12. Best Narrative
13. Best Performance
14. Best Soundtrack/Score
15. Best Online Experience
16. Games For Change

Okay, so we have 16 "main" awards (unless they cut the industry icon award), as well as the fan voted ones (which shouldn't get priority over any of the "main" awards, IMO), so which 10 do you think they'll show on stage?

My guesses are:

• GotY
  • DotY
  • Indie GotY
  • Handheld/Mobile GotY
  • Industry Icon Award
  • Shooter GotY
  • Action/Adventure GotY
  • RPG GotY
  • Family GotY
  • Sports/Racing GotY or Fighting GotY

Those top five awards are by far the most important, so I don't see any of those not making the cut (unless the IIA is dropped this year).

The six "best of their genre" awards are the second most important tier, and depending on whether or not they drop the IIA, one of the six will have to be cut to keep the number of stage presentations to 10 (I think the one with the best chance of not getting a stage presentation is either Fighting GotY or Sports/Racing GotY)

The more technical awards (narrative, online, performance, etc.) I see as the next lowest tier, so I don't think they should be chosen over any of the more overall awards.

The fan voted awards shouldn't even be in consideration for a stage presentation, IMO.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

IceClimbers

GOTY and Games for Change are guaranteed to be given on stage. DOTY was not awarded on stage last year, and I doubt it will this year. I personally think it should though. I'd be willing to bet Best Shooter and Best RPG will be awarded on stage as well.

As for the World Premieres, that just means it's a premiere of the trailer. Does not mean 10 brand new game announcements. So yes, a new trailer for Star Fox Zero would be considered a World Premiere.

I'm sure Nintendo will be at least one of the nine remaining World Premieres, but I seriously doubt they'll announce any new games.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

RR529

BTW, what is "Games For Change", exactly? Are they games that they thought tackled current social issues or something?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Grumblevolcano

I'm thinking the Smash Direct will happen earlier in the day to get people hyped for the Game Awards and then do something like properly reveal Zelda U details or Mother 3 localization. The downside of this strategy is that Xenoblade X would be completely overlooked the following day (maybe Nintendo does want it to sell very badly?).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

How great would it be if one of the world premieres was the official announcement for Zelda. Proper trailer, title and release date. That would surely count as a premiere of some sort.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

shingi_70

@RR529:

pretty much, but last year it was left pretty vauge.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

IceClimbers

So Quantum Break will be one of the World Premieres.

That's 2 down, 8 to go. Glad to see that Microsoft is showing up this year.

Also, Geoff Keighley has revealed via Periscope that Nintendo will be showing new content, likely meaning that they will have at least one of the 10 World Premieres. He also teased a tribute to Satoru Iwata.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.