News Forum

Topic: Patcher: Reggie should replace Iwata as President of Nintendo

Showing 41 to 60 of 64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sub12

41. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

sub12 wrote:

Doma wrote:

Guitardude7 wrote:

@DanMan82 Wait, people are saying Reggie should be fired? Why?! What did Reggie do wrong?

You need look no further than this interview to realise how out of touch and clueless Reggie is.

kotaku.com/5920572/the-trouble-with-the-never-satisfied-gamer

More recent examples include: “Fan petitioning doesn't affect what we do” and that Cranky Kong announcement.

Not that it truly matters, but you can tell Reggie isn't the biggest gamer in the world if he can't understand the differences in the critical and or fan reaction to something like Super Mario Galaxy in comparison to the New Super Mario Bros. Series

New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold more than both Galaxies combined and in fact Galaxy 2 sold a lot less than the first one while NSMBW sold about as much if not more than the DS iteration. I think they can be at least somewhat excused for thinking like a business and listening to the numbers.

Except core gamers buy a system at launch, not the casual demographic, when Bros. U was shown at E3 2012, it was given a collective "meh". Plus it did little to anything to showcase the system like the vast majority of first party launch titles, it was just a 2D platformer, nothing fancy, albeit a solid and enjoyable one.

sub12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

42. Posted:

sub12 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

sub12 wrote:

Doma wrote:

Guitardude7 wrote:

@DanMan82 Wait, people are saying Reggie should be fired? Why?! What did Reggie do wrong?

You need look no further than this interview to realise how out of touch and clueless Reggie is.

kotaku.com/5920572/the-trouble-with-the-never-satisfied-gamer

More recent examples include: “Fan petitioning doesn't affect what we do” and that Cranky Kong announcement.

Not that it truly matters, but you can tell Reggie isn't the biggest gamer in the world if he can't understand the differences in the critical and or fan reaction to something like Super Mario Galaxy in comparison to the New Super Mario Bros. Series

New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold more than both Galaxies combined and in fact Galaxy 2 sold a lot less than the first one while NSMBW sold about as much if not more than the DS iteration. I think they can be at least somewhat excused for thinking like a business and listening to the numbers.

Except core gamers buy a system at launch, not the casual demographic, when Bros. U was shown at E3 2012, it was given a collective "meh". Plus it did little to anything to showcase the system like the vast majority of first party launch titles, it was just a 2D platformer, nothing fancy, albeit a solid and enjoyable one.

But it would be a lot easier to get ready for launch, and since Nintendo never lowers prices, it'll probably keep selling. I doubt a game like 3D world was even near ready at launch, or would have been possible to be close even.

I'm gonna try again.
Currently playing: Rune Factory 4, inFamous: Second Son, and Uncharted 2..

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Doma

43. Posted:

@CanisWolfred Reggie showing a complete disregard to any complaint/desire from their own fanbase, makes him good?...

I'd say if you agree with him and think stating/doing any of that was smart business, then you are partly to blame for the situation Nintendo are in currently. WiiU is an absolute disaster, so where has this “thinking like a business and listening to the numbers” gotten them, exactly? Hardware can't be the entire issue.

Edited on by Doma

Doma

3DS Friend Code: 1676-4095-0912

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sub12

44. Posted:

Jaz007 wrote:

sub12 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

sub12 wrote:

Doma wrote:

Guitardude7 wrote:

@DanMan82 Wait, people are saying Reggie should be fired? Why?! What did Reggie do wrong?

You need look no further than this interview to realise how out of touch and clueless Reggie is.

kotaku.com/5920572/the-trouble-with-the-never-satisfied-gamer

More recent examples include: “Fan petitioning doesn't affect what we do” and that Cranky Kong announcement.

Not that it truly matters, but you can tell Reggie isn't the biggest gamer in the world if he can't understand the differences in the critical and or fan reaction to something like Super Mario Galaxy in comparison to the New Super Mario Bros. Series

New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold more than both Galaxies combined and in fact Galaxy 2 sold a lot less than the first one while NSMBW sold about as much if not more than the DS iteration. I think they can be at least somewhat excused for thinking like a business and listening to the numbers.

Except core gamers buy a system at launch, not the casual demographic, when Bros. U was shown at E3 2012, it was given a collective "meh". Plus it did little to anything to showcase the system like the vast majority of first party launch titles, it was just a 2D platformer, nothing fancy, albeit a solid and enjoyable one.

But it would be a lot easier to get ready for launch, and since Nintendo never lowers prices, it'll probably keep selling. I doubt a game like 3D world was even near ready at launch, or would have been possible to be close even.

True, but they collectively ignored the Wii during 2011 and 2012, they had the time..........with that said, I still don't think New Super Mario Bros. U (or Nintendoland) were the best choices for launch titles, although Pikmin 3 would have been a nice addition / gap filler if it had been released in November of 2012 with the other titles.

Mario Bros. U was a poor choice unless they still believed the Wii crowd from 2007 were going to hastily put down there IPods and IPhones to snatch up a new console (which Kyoto foolishly probably thought they would).

sub12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

45. Posted:

Doma wrote:

@CanisWolfred Reggie showing a complete disregard to any complaint/desire from their own fanbase, makes him good?...

I'd say if you agree with him and think stating/doing any of that was smart business, then you are partly to blame for the situation Nintendo are in currently. WiiU is an absolute disaster, so where has this “thinking like a business and listening to the numbers” gotten them, exactly? Hardware can't be the entire issue.

Because the fans don't know what they want. Not to mention they are a collective of individuals, and trying to listen to everyone would take forever while sample only a few could be disasterous, and many will demand the impossible. You're supposed to look for demand by observing the market, seeing both it's trends and what it lacks. The Wii was a product of this basic idea, while the Wii U was a product of Nintendo trying to please everyone:

...which I will explain in a bit because I just forgot where I was going with this. This is why I hate writing something for more than 30 minutes at a time...

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

46. Posted:

sub12 wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

sub12 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

sub12 wrote:

Doma wrote:

Guitardude7 wrote:

@DanMan82 Wait, people are saying Reggie should be fired? Why?! What did Reggie do wrong?

You need look no further than this interview to realise how out of touch and clueless Reggie is.

kotaku.com/5920572/the-trouble-with-the-never-satisfied-gamer

More recent examples include: “Fan petitioning doesn't affect what we do” and that Cranky Kong announcement.

Not that it truly matters, but you can tell Reggie isn't the biggest gamer in the world if he can't understand the differences in the critical and or fan reaction to something like Super Mario Galaxy in comparison to the New Super Mario Bros. Series

New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold more than both Galaxies combined and in fact Galaxy 2 sold a lot less than the first one while NSMBW sold about as much if not more than the DS iteration. I think they can be at least somewhat excused for thinking like a business and listening to the numbers.

Except core gamers buy a system at launch, not the casual demographic, when Bros. U was shown at E3 2012, it was given a collective "meh". Plus it did little to anything to showcase the system like the vast majority of first party launch titles, it was just a 2D platformer, nothing fancy, albeit a solid and enjoyable one.

But it would be a lot easier to get ready for launch, and since Nintendo never lowers prices, it'll probably keep selling. I doubt a game like 3D world was even near ready at launch, or would have been possible to be close even.

True, but they collectively ignored the Wii during 2011 and 2012, they had the time..........with that said, I still don't think New Super Mario Bros. U (or Nintendoland) were the best choices for launch titles, although Pikmin 3 would have been a nice addition / gap filler if it had been released in November of 2012 with the other titles.

Mario Bros. U was a poor choice unless they still believed the Wii crowd from 2007 were going to hastily put down there IPods and IPhones to snatch up a new console (which Kyoto foolishly probably thought they would).

Except the Wii U was meant to attract the hardcore crowd and the casual. And believe me, practically everyone wanted a Wii U mario game at launch. Yes, a "New" game was probably not the best choice, but what other choice did they have? What people wanted was a game changer like Super Mario Galaxy but for got that Galaxy took a full year to get Super Mario Galaxy out post launch pre-HD. It simply wouldn't be Feasble, especially when Nintendo was so new to HD. 2 years simply wouldn't be enough time.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

47. Posted:

The Wii U can't be turned around. It doesn't matter who's in charge.

However, I think we'll have another issue at hand if Iwata stays as CEO for the next cycle. He has a great understanding of the Japanese market. He doesn't have a great understanding of all the other markets. A lot of the weird policies they have aren't helping at all, either (weird online, no cross-purchases, account system that lacks much of the point of an account system, etc.)

One that would be interesting (but would never happen for several reasons) would be if Iwata was in complete charge of Nintendo's handheld division (because that's the most important market in Japan) and Reggie handled the console division (because that's what matters most in the West).

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SomeBitTripFan

48. Posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of Iwata, but Reggie would not solve anything. Reggie is just a salesman. He knows how to market and appeal to the market, but his track record indicates that that is his only major talent.

Just Someloggery
Current Projects: Beloved Titan
On the Back Burner: The Machine, Ascending Entity, Antumbra, Between Two Causes, Heaven's Point, Binary, A Pixel and a Dot, Base O-70, A Wakeful Purgatory
A Vacation is a Click Away!
My Avatar: Where Doge Coin is Going
Where's the Poetry? I'm lazy.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DanMan82

49. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Doma wrote:

@CanisWolfred Reggie showing a complete disregard to any complaint/desire from their own fanbase, makes him good?...

I'd say if you agree with him and think stating/doing any of that was smart business, then you are partly to blame for the situation Nintendo are in currently. WiiU is an absolute disaster, so where has this “thinking like a business and listening to the numbers” gotten them, exactly? Hardware can't be the entire issue.

Because the fans don't know what they want. Not to mention they are a collective of individuals, and trying to listen to everyone would take forever while sample only a few could be disasterous, and many will demand the impossible. You're supposed to look for demand by observing the market, seeing both it's trends and what it lacks. The Wii was a product of this basic idea, while the Wii U was a product of Nintendo trying to please everyone:

...which I will explain in a bit because I just forgot where I was going with this. This is why I hate writing something for more than 30 minutes at a time...

In all honesty, I think you are both right to an extent. You need to learn how to listen to your fans, but you can't necessarily just gooble up everything people say.

And you're right @Doma, hardware is not the entire issue...in fact, I don't believe hardware is the issue at all. Poor execution and marketing is why we are having this discussion today.

"If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome."- Michael Jordan
“I am thankful for all of those who said NO to me. Its because of them I’m doing it myself.” – ?????

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Franklin

50. Posted:

BassLostie wrote:

I would like to know somoething, though.... Does Michael Patcher actually own a Wii U? Because, everytime I hear people complaining about the Wii U (and specially about the Gamepad) is usually people who don't own a Wii U.

That would be the problem...

Regarding listening to fans, it is quite simple. You do it, then move on. So for instance, reintroducing the raccoon suit in 3D Land. It's something the fans wanted, and being in a 3D world, it was implemented in a new way. Brilliant. We don't need the raccoon suit in every subsequent Mario game for ever more.

Franklin

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

51. Posted:

I do wonder if NoA and NoE are anything more than marketing divisions, I think they make a handful of games too but aren't those just sports spin-offs for the most part? on the other hand sega back in the day was making some of its main sonic games in America, also even some of their hardware was influenced by sega of America, can't imagine nintendo doing the same; too Japan centric so maybe a Western leader would be a good thing, not the best timing though for who ever the replacement would be.

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jmaster

52. Posted:

How do we even know the Cranky Kong announcement and the stuff about petitions was even Reggie's call? perhaps it was Iwata who told him to do those things.

Jmaster

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

53. Posted:

Untitled
Untitled

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

jariw

54. Posted:

Reala wrote:

I do wonder if NoA and NoE are anything more than marketing divisions, I think they make a handful of games too but aren't those just sports spin-offs for the most part?

I believe buying out Jeff Spangenberg from Retro was an initiative from NoA (although it needed final approval from Nintendo), so they are a bit more than just marketing division.

Current Top 10: DK:TF, Pikmin 3, MK8, Scram Kitty, SM3DW, LEGO City: Undercover, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Stick it to the Man, Wind Waker HD
Looking forward to:
Project CARS, SSB U, Affordable Space Adventures, Bayonetta 2, X, Hex Heroes, Yarn Yoshi, and more

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CaviarMeths

55. Posted:

I think there's a reason that Iwata is the CEO of both Nintendo and Nintendo of America. Reggie is a sales and marketing guy. Doesn't necessarily mean he knows how to run the whole company.

Courage is the magic that turns durrr into reherrdurr.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kereke12

56. Posted:

We need someone new, someone who's younger that has a fresh take on things that isn't afraid to take things to a whole new level. That actually knows how to market.

LONG LIVE NINTENDO

Nintendo Network ID: Kereke12

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

57. Posted:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I think there's a reason that Iwata is the CEO of both Nintendo and Nintendo of America. Reggie is a sales and marketing guy. Doesn't necessarily mean he knows how to run the whole company.

I think the "CEO" of NoA is nothing more than a supervisor and a connection to Nintendo of Japan. Do you even remember the last guy?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

58. Posted:

They don't need marketing only loads of games across a diverse set of genres targeted at different groups of people.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Doma

59. Posted:

DanMan82 wrote:

And you're right @Doma, hardware is not the entire issue...in fact, I don't believe hardware is the issue at all. Poor execution and marketing is why we are having this discussion today.

Hardware is definitely an issue. No amount of marketing would suddenly give people a desire to care about the Gamepad, they needed actual software to justify its existence (at launch, now it's too late). Overall, their choice in software has been terrible, it's mostly just games you can already buy on the Wii/3DS.

Poor marketing is an insignificant issue when you consider all the other stuff they screwed up with this console (almost everything, literally).

Edited on by Doma

Doma

3DS Friend Code: 1676-4095-0912

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

60. Posted:

I wouldn't exactly use that as a major point considering most PS4/Xbox One games are continuations of games from last gen...

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky