Forums

Topic: Nintendo NX

Posts 301 to 320 of 360

IceClimbers

Bolt_Strike wrote:

skywake wrote:

So I'm speculating for next gen things will be a bit different. I don't think people will jump onto 4K as quickly as the TV companies seem to want, it's a big deal but it's not as big as the jump to HD was. And as much as I love the idea of 4K I'm not sure the average consumer cares that much about 4K content. But no doubt Sony and Microsoft will try to go for it anyways because it's a great marketing bullet point. Nintendo can take a decent gamble by going for solid 1080p at a cheaper price. Also by the time next-gen starts the average gamer would have had a Sony and Microsoft machine, we know gamers aren't that loyal. Odds are people will want new games and new content.

So I guess Nintendo's still going to be behind again? Not surprising at all, but I don't think a lot of gamers are going to be happy to hear that. It would be funny to see the push for 4K blow up in Microsoft and Sony's face though.

So what happens then? All three of them fail?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

IceClimbers

@TingLz With the NX section opened up, is this thread being moved to that section?

DefHalan

[quote=DefHalan]

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

Time and time again it is proven that great hardware doesn't sell systems, this is why I think throwing more hardware and copying what the other two companies are doing isn't the answer.

Back in the Ps1, Ps2 and Wii era sure you may have been correct but now the market has changed and the Ps4 sure seems to have proven that people will buy a system over pure hardware hype than the games funny i own the 2 least selling consoles this gen, U and Xbone but i still acknowlege their issues. Making under-powered hardware a third time ina row for controller gimmicks won't be the answer, neither will staying in the past as most people who argue against me seem to want.... Time to modernize while providing the fun experiences they are known for, or just go all mobile.

The two biggest things that I think Nintendo needs to do is continue to support their hardware throughout its lifespan (something they failed to do with the Wii) and make their hardware easier to develop for. (which doesn't just mean power) If the Wii U used the same architecture as the PS4/XB1 then it would be easier to port even without the power. This is part of the reason the Wii still got support. The PS3 had the most powerful hardware but tricky architecture which meant a lot of early ports weren't great. It took time to learn the hardware but the PS3 had enough sales where it was still worth supporting. (unlike the Wii U currently) Power won't make a difference without sales, so something easier to do and still improve the system would be an architecture change. Doing something that drastic could also allow Nintendo to ditch Wii Motes/GamePad for different controllers but that is a different conversation.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

IceClimbers

Power and architecture aren't the only things. The dev tools and kits that Nintendo gives AAA 3rd parties aren't the standard seen on other platforms. Also doesn't help that Nintendo's support system for western 3rd parties is inefficient (if you have a question about the hardware, it has be sent to the Kyoto hardware development team... which means your question or request has to be sent to be translated, then sent to Kyoto, then their reply has to be sent to be to be translated BACK into English or whatever language and then sent to the developer... that can take more than a week, which is a lot of wasted time).

nitrolink

Why does everyone think the NX will replace the Wii U? I understand that the Wii U is selling poorly, but replacing it for something with less games doesn't make sense to me. I think the 3DS will be replaced. Nintendo's future lies in handheld consoles anyway.

Edited on by nitrolink

nitrolink

Socar

I don't get why people just like to stick to just having controllers only and not something new. Seriously, what is the problem with the DS and 3DS having two screens? What is the problem with the Wii's motion controls? What is it with just getting controller only style of gaming? Doesn't the Wii U have a pro controller to support for those who prefer just controllers?

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

So I guess Nintendo's still going to be behind again? Not surprising at all, but I don't think a lot of gamers are going to be happy to hear that. It would be funny to see the push for 4K blow up in Microsoft and Sony's face though.

I could definitely, whether it does or not is another story. I do think that the massive amounts of ports and remasters the PS4/XBOne are getting might come back to bite them in the same way it did pre-Wii. And I also think that Nintendo is going to keep going for the cheaper priced platform, Iwata has definitely been sending out that message. Whether or not things align for Nintendo again is another story though.

rferrari24 wrote:

Why does everyone think the NX will replace the Wii U? I understand that the Wii U is selling poorly, but replacing it for something with less games doesn't make sense to me. I think the 3DS will be replaced. Nintendo's future lies in handheld consoles anyway.

I pretty much 100% agree.... well except for the implication that their future isn't in home-consoles. It makes sense for the NX to be a portable and it would be a mistake to put out a new home-console before the current gen starts to tail a bit. But I do think that Nintendo is still going to make home consoles.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Bolt_Strike

rferrari24 wrote:

It's not just that it's not profiting, but by the time NX comes out, the Wii U will have run its course. It'll have reached a full lifespan and exhausted pretty much every game they could make for it. They're not going to be able to sustain the Wii U any longer than that.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

RR529

Bolt_Strike wrote:

rferrari24 wrote:

It's not just that it's not profiting, but by the time NX comes out, the Wii U will have run its course. It'll have reached a full lifespan and exhausted pretty much every game they could make for it. They're not going to be able to sustain the Wii U any longer than that.

The 3DS will have run a full life cycle by that time as well, though (even a year longer than Wii U).

Also, the GBC was replaced before the N64 (though only by a few months), the GBA was replaced before the GCN (though it still continued to get support after the new system came out), and the DS was replaced before the Wii.

There's clearly a trend that new handhelds get released before new consoles, and there's no reason to assume that would suddenly change.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

And except for the "profiting" bit, which is always true for Nintendo's portables, all of those things are also true for the 3DS. I can think of quite a few games I still want to see on the Wii U including some that haven't been announced yet. At the end of next year? Maybe it'll have all those things but it doesn't yet. With the 3DS though, not so much.

Frankly, excluding downloads, I have only brought two games for my 3DS in the last 12 months. Even worse outside of the port of Xenoblade there isn't much on the horizon that interests me. But with the Wii U I got about five games over that same period of time (six if Bayonetta 1&2 count as 2) and see about the same amount scheduled for this year that I'm interested in. What's more I can think of a good five games off the top of my head that I'd like to see on the Wii U. For the 3DS the only thing I still want to see from it is a 2D Metroid.

Ontop of that the portable market is well and truly at the end of its cycle AND Nintendo is able to dictate when the next-gen starts. In the home-console market? Less so. If they go too early they could hit the PS4/XBOne when it's at its peak. It wouldn't be seen as an upgrade, it'd be seen as a second platform still.

Edited on by skywake

DefHalan

rferrari24 wrote:

Because it is more fun to think about a new home console than a new portable console. Nintendo owns the portable market (not counting smart phones) so if they come out with a new portable system it is basically a new piece of hardware I need to buy to play portable games on anything other than my phone. A new console is more exciting as they have more competition there (at least for my money) and so it is more fun to speculate on.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Bolt_Strike

RR529 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

rferrari24 wrote:

The 3DS will have run a full life cycle by that time as well, though (even a year longer than Wii U).

Also, the GBC was replaced before the N64 (though only by a few months), the GBA was replaced before the GCN (though it still continued to get support after the new system came out), and the DS was replaced before the Wii.

There's clearly a trend that new handhelds get released before new consoles, and there's no reason to assume that would suddenly change.

I never said the Wii U would get replaced before the 3DS.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

erv

I would still bet on a new machine in the handheld space, but extendable to the console world. Yes, it would probably just about match the wiiU in terms of technical capabilities, but that would be the entire idea.

Nintendo could also be working on a simple home console that really works wonders by just not going into 4K. Hardware is probably just not ready, and having competition waste valuable resources against a leap that is a lot less significant than HD was could be a great tactical move.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Socar

I observed that youtubers like Richard from reviewtechusa and Jacob from Nintendo Project want Nintendo to just stick to having just controllers and nothing else for the NX. You know, I really doubt the DS and Wii would have sold as well as they have right now if it weren't for their sense of innovation. People tend to confuse themselves that if anything Nintendo brings out is new, its going to go gimmicky. I haven't gotten the Wii U yet but doesn't that system have controller support like the Pro Controller?

The gamepad is what sells the Wii U. The Dual Screen is what sells the DS and 3DS. The cheap quality of the game boy is what sold it. Just how exactly is doing what Sony and Microsoft do is gonna make Nintendo the king of console wars? Yeah we get hardcore controllers and yeah we'd be happy with that but then most of us wouldn't see much of innovation Nintendo has to offer when making these games. Most Nintendo games today aren't innovative as they are suppose to be let alone stick to the controllers. Why make a system powerful when the odds of Nintendo winning the market are so low when their games with just sticking to the controllers could still be just as great as Sony or Microsoft. I mean look at us, guys like me can't really see much of difference between the PS4 or ONE's graphics for crying out loud. What is the reason for games to push the graphical power if its gonna cost a lot of time and money to even get there? If the Genesis could nearly outsell the SNES with its underwhelming power, I'm pretty sure that either Sony or Microsoft could do the same to Nintendo for the next gen even if Nintendo does what gamers want. Its not the problem of being the same. Its just the problem of trying to do the same thing but in the end, its a matter of chance and that's probably the route Nintendo wants to avoid.

Now I know that Nintendo will stick to Gunpei Yokoi's philosophy so I can safely bet that their Next system is 1080p again only it will be slightly expensive than the Wii U and then later gets a price cut.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

renaryuugufan92

skywake wrote:

@renaryuugufan92
I think there's a bit of a difference this gen compared to previous ones. But I don't think it's fair to assume that what we have now is the new normal. Going back, in the PS2 era console gaming was still firmly in the standard def era and the PS2 got a jump on everyone else by offering a DVD player. They offered a DVD player at a point when that was a huge deal, the jump from VHS to DVD was massive. So people naturally didn't care about horsepower. They got the one with the DVD player.

Last gen the PS3 and 360 did a half-jump, they tried to aim for HD gaming before they had hardware that was really ready for it. I personally remember in 2005 walking into a gaming store, seeing the 360 running on a HD set and thinking it looked like garbage. Because I was used to standard def monitors smoothing all that stuff out. You've gotta remember that when the Wii launched in 2006 a minority of people had HD sets. A quick google search reveals that in 2008 23% of households had a HD set, in 2013 it was 75%. Hell, my parents brought a new set in 2005 because the old one broke and they got a CRT. So in context the Wii was a good standard def machine, it launched when HD wasn't really mainstream yet AND it captured the attention of people who weren't gamers. Naturally the Wii won.

Now with this gen thing are different. Most people jumped on the HD bandwagon around 2010-ish, so late in that last generation people were getting PS3s and 360s for cheap just to have something HD to run on their sets. And, frankly, those machines weren't quite capable of HD and I think everyone knew this. Which is why when the Wii U launches with nothing to capture a wider audience and a gaming community who think it's only as powerful as a 360? People wait because they've been waiting for a PROPER HD machine for years, the Wii U clearly wasn't it. Then Microsoft makes a horrible first impression with the XBOne and the PS4 does a Steven Bradbury.

So I'm speculating for next gen things will be a bit different. I don't think people will jump onto 4K as quickly as the TV companies seem to want, it's a big deal but it's not as big as the jump to HD was. And as much as I love the idea of 4K I'm not sure the average consumer cares that much about 4K content. But no doubt Sony and Microsoft will try to go for it anyways because it's a great marketing bullet point. Nintendo can take a decent gamble by going for solid 1080p at a cheaper price. Also by the time next-gen starts the average gamer would have had a Sony and Microsoft machine, we know gamers aren't that loyal. Odds are people will want new games and new content.

I mean, lets not pretend that Sony and Microsoft are playing the long-term game perfectly here......
Untitled

Oh i know their not, the remaster mill will run its course, but you can't deny that due to good hardware they have third parties. Xbox has third party up the ying and its only a few million consoles above the U in sales, 9.3 to 11.something the last time i checked..

The argument I'd like to make tho regarding hardware and sales is that.....well i could ramble into this but lets keep it short and sweet! so.

Long story short, if Sony can sell a console from pure hype and hardware, Nintendo can too with the NX the DIFFERENCE being and this is a big one, they can actually release games for it in a timely manner i'd hope on top of third party support, after all didn't Miyamoto say a few months ago he wants Mario to usher in the next generation of Nintendo? raises arms seems funny to me he'd say that. I just hope they don't gamble on yet another gimmicky controller scheme.. traditional controllers are fine, if it works and is comfortable it no longer needs fixing.

Also this guy made a good point, [yt]_0rHJLZz7kXw[/yt] ughh bit code just click this. https://youtu.be/0rHJLZz7kXw

Edited on by renaryuugufan92

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874

HollywoodHogan

Artwark wrote:

I observed that youtubers like Richard from reviewtechusa and Jacob from Nintendo Project want Nintendo to just stick to having just controllers and nothing else for the NX. You know, I really doubt the DS and Wii would have sold as well as they have right now if it weren't for their sense of innovation. People tend to confuse themselves that if anything Nintendo brings out is new, its going to go gimmicky. I haven't gotten the Wii U yet but doesn't that system have controller support like the Pro Controller?

The gamepad is what sells the Wii U. The Dual Screen is what sells the DS and 3DS. The cheap quality of the game boy is what sold it. Just how exactly is doing what Sony and Microsoft do is gonna make Nintendo the king of console wars? Yeah we get hardcore controllers and yeah we'd be happy with that but then most of us wouldn't see much of innovation Nintendo has to offer when making these games. Most Nintendo games today aren't innovative as they are suppose to be let alone stick to the controllers. Why make a system powerful when the odds of Nintendo winning the market are so low when their games with just sticking to the controllers could still be just as great as Sony or Microsoft. I mean look at us, guys like me can't really see much of difference between the PS4 or ONE's graphics for crying out loud. What is the reason for games to push the graphical power if its gonna cost a lot of time and money to even get there? If the Genesis could nearly outsell the SNES with its underwhelming power, I'm pretty sure that either Sony or Microsoft could do the same to Nintendo for the next gen even if Nintendo does what gamers want. Its not the problem of being the same. Its just the problem of trying to do the same thing but in the end, its a matter of chance and that's probably the route Nintendo wants to avoid.

Now I know that Nintendo will stick to Gunpei Yokoi's philosophy so I can safely bet that their Next system is 1080p again only it will be slightly expensive than the Wii U and then later gets a price cut.

How this post was created

Untitled

Friend to all SJW's

crimsoncavalier

Artwark wrote:

I was following until you said that. That is an absolute falsehood. Not only is the Gamepad not innovative, but it does not sell the Wii U. If anything, it's a stumbling block.

Oh, I'm not saying it's not a good concept, but in practice, it's an absolute failure. No one uses it when developing games. I mean, you can count on one hand the amount of games that use the Gamepad as people imagined it would be used.

Second, the people who do implement some sort of Gamepad integration to their games ... well, it's either absolutely stupid, unnecessary, or makes the game worse.

Third, the battery sucks. That they had to release a "new and improved" battery speaks for itself.

Fourth, you can only have ONE per console. By limiting the amount of Gamepads that can be connected to the Wii U, you're limiting the gameplay experience. If you can't handle more than one, then you should have left it out completely.

There's nothing wrong with traditional controllers. The Wii Remote is far superior to the Gamepad in every aspect. And even then, it didn't work right all the time. There's a reason why Nintendo sells Pro Controllers.

The concept of the Gamepad may have been cool, but the implementation is an absolute failure.

Edited on by crimsoncavalier

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

Nin10dad

As long as I can take all my digital content from my Wii U and New 3DS to the next Nintendo console, I will be happy with whatever they put out next.

nintendad.co.uk

Twitter @nintendad

Switch - SW-5274-3655-0708

skywake

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

Oh i know their not, the remaster mill will run its course, but you can't deny that due to good hardware they have third parties

I don't quite know what you're trying to say here. Anyway, the fact that we had been stuck with not-quite-HD on HD sets for years and the Wii U wasn't that proper-HD box? That killed them more than anything. Third parties gravitate to where the sales are, they don't care about image or loyalties. They can even overlook the hardware if it gives them a market. The PS4 is selling well because they gave gamers the hardware they wanted and didn't make any false steps. And so it's attracting third parties because it's selling well. It's as simple as that. We can almost guarantee that next-gen will be won for a different reason, because it hasn't ever really been the same two generations in a row.

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

Long story short, if Sony can sell a console from pure hype and hardware, Nintendo can too with the NX the DIFFERENCE being and this is a big one, they can actually release games for it in a timely manner i'd hope on top of third party support, after all didn't Miyamoto say a few months ago he wants Mario to usher in the next generation of Nintendo? raises arms seems funny to me he'd say that. I just hope they don't gamble on yet another gimmicky controller scheme.. traditional controllers are fine, if it works and is comfortable it no longer needs fixing.

A quick google to find the exact quote.....
"For the time being, our focus is on the Wii U hardware, but Nintendo as a whole has groups working on ideas for new hardware systems. While we're busy working on software for the Wii U, we have production lines that are working on ideas for what the next system might be. [...] From early on, I wanted Mario to be that character in the digital world, so that with each digital evolution, he was there to usher in the next era. I think that maybe when we release the next hardware system, you can look forward to seeing Mario take on a new role or in a new game"
Nothing about that says Wii U successor. I don't think you can read into that anymore than to assume that the 3DS and Wii U probably won't get a Mario game before the NX launches. Which for the Wii U means that either 3D World was it... or this things a portable. I'd wager the latter.

Edited on by skywake

nitrolink

DefHalan wrote:

rferrari24 wrote:

Because it is more fun to think about a new home console than a new portable console. Nintendo owns the portable market (not counting smart phones) so if they come out with a new portable system it is basically a new piece of hardware I need to buy to play portable games on anything other than my phone. A new console is more exciting as they have more competition there (at least for my money) and so it is more fun to speculate on.

That's pretty selfish reasoning lol. I think that Nintendo's home console business is pretty unsustainable at this point. Nintendo has sold fewer and fewer consoles each generation (Wii is obviously the exception). Nintendo has shown that it does not want to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft. Chasing after better specs isn't going to solve anything.

nitrolink

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.