Forums

Topic: Nintendo NX

Posts 221 to 240 of 360

LazerPan

skywake wrote:

LazerPan wrote:

Today we take for granted good online multiplay, web store, DVD play, hardware that isn't outdated, games tied to your network account etc. Nintendo can be as innovative they want, but if they can't meet the bare minimum that is expected from a modern gaming system they are going to have a hard time winning support anywere...

So basically..... they should do literally what they've announced but also limit themselves to ticking off a checklist on the back of the box. Because what was really missing in Super Mario Galaxy was an online mode that everyone will just skip over anyway. Then they'll charge us more for their hardware even if there's literally no game concept that really needs the extra horsepower. Because lets face it, even a Wii U that was as powerful as the PS4 would still not attract third party devs but who cares if you can feel more secure about which team you backed! And for the final improvement lets add the ability to play movies on disks, because Netflix isn't a thing apparently.

Congratulations! Nintendo is now bankrupt.

Yes, ignore what I say and imply that I want online on a game I didn't even mention.
Congratulations! You completely missed the point.

There are no third party titles for Wii U because the cost of making a version for Wii U isn't worth it.
Making different versions for PS4 and XOne isn't difficult because they are so similar. Wii U is standing out so much they have to completely remake the game for it to be able to run on Wii U.

How is better online a bad thing for you? There are tons of great games with good online multiplayer to come around.
The console would of course be more expensive if the hardware is better. But people still get the best hardware for their computers and apparently they think it's worth it.
Why not be able to play Blu-Ray? Even Microsoft use it now because it's a better alternative. It's not like it would increase the cost dramatically in any way.
Btw my list was in no way exhaustive, but I figured anyone with basic understanding in the English language would understand the meaning of «etc.»
So no, they would not «limit» themselves by delivering what the usual consumer expect from a home console in 2015, or actually even later because it won*t be out for at least a year.

LazerPan

renaryuugufan92

LazerPan wrote:

skywake wrote:

LazerPan wrote:

Today we take for granted good online multiplay, web store, DVD play, hardware that isn't outdated, games tied to your network account etc. Nintendo can be as innovative they want, but if they can't meet the bare minimum that is expected from a modern gaming system they are going to have a hard time winning support anywere...

So basically..... they should do literally what they've announced but also limit themselves to ticking off a checklist on the back of the box. Because what was really missing in Super Mario Galaxy was an online mode that everyone will just skip over anyway. Then they'll charge us more for their hardware even if there's literally no game concept that really needs the extra horsepower. Because lets face it, even a Wii U that was as powerful as the PS4 would still not attract third party devs but who cares if you can feel more secure about which team you backed! And for the final improvement lets add the ability to play movies on disks, because Netflix isn't a thing apparently.

Congratulations! Nintendo is now bankrupt.

Yes, ignore what I say and imply that I want online on a game I didn't even mention.

There are no third party titles for Wii U because the cost of making a version for Wii U isn't worth it.
Making different versions for PS4 and XOne isn't difficult because they are so similar. Wii U is standing out so much they have to completely remake the game for it to be able to run on Wii U.

How is better online a bad thing for you? There are tons of great games with good online multiplayer to come around.
The console would of course be more expensive if the hardware is better. But people still get the best hardware for their computers and apparently they think it's worth it.
Why not be able to play Blu-Ray? Even Microsoft use it now because it's a better alternative. It's not like it would increase the cost dramatically in any way.
Btw my list was in no way exhaustive, but I figured anyone with basic understanding in the English language would understand the meaning of «etc.»
So no, they would not «limit» themselves by delivering what the usual consumer expect from a home console in 2015, or actually even later because it won*t be out for at least a year.

Its actually quite pointless of us to ask for modernization on this site, I did that yesterday and got the same response as you. Until Nintendo does it themselves its like we're talking to brick walls who think that every things all fine and dandy and should be repeated with NX. I also like when they say 4 years (if NX releases next year) for a new console is too soon, makes me wonder if they know the transition of every Nintendo console from the SNES up till the Wii was a 4-5 year period...

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874

skywake

LazerPan wrote:

What games that are currently on the Wii U that don't have online desperately need online? Most of their games are built around a single player experience and the ones that aren't are party games. And as someone who has a fairly decent library of games on Steam? When people say "I want more online" I do immediately think "yeah, nah, I nine times out of ten I skip that option anyways". Not every game needs online.

... Pikmin 3, that's the only Wii U title that really needed it and didn't get it IMO

LazerPan wrote:

There are no third party titles for Wii U because the cost of making a version for Wii U isn't worth it. Making different versions for PS4 and XOne isn't difficult because they are so similar. Wii U is standing out so much they have to completely remake the game for it to be able to run on Wii U.

There were at the start and they dried up because it didn't sell. The thing can be as easy to port to as you want but devs aren't going to care if it's not moving units. What about replacing the Wii U this soon would get people to flood to it that doesn't involve third parties miraculously jumping ship. All I'm saying is that they should wait it out until they can really blow our socks off. More importantly I'm saying that the 3DS needs a successor already. Like this year if they could.

LazerPan wrote:

Yes, and some of them are on the Wii U. If you want to lecture me on reading comprehension please read my posts first. I didn't say that online is bad, I said that it's not everything for all games. Some of if not most of the best games I've ever played on PC and on Consoles have been single player only experiences. I also was pointing to the fact that improving online infrastructure was literally half of the deal they did with DeNA this week

LazerPan wrote:

Reading comprehension. You're lecturing me about it and yet don't seem to have read my post. Let me quote what I actually said.....

Me Just Earlier wrote:

"I agree, if Nintendo was to do the whole thing over they might have made changed the architecture instead of keeping the Wii U not backwards compatible. They might have pushed the hardware a bit further at the cost of the price point and small form factor. In hindsight sure, that might have caught the eyes of third parties more. But it's too late to bin the whole thing now and if anything it would make things worse."

.... and I do have a pretty decent PC, I'm not adverse to spending more. They probably should have bumped up the specs and gone with the same architecture as everyone else. But they didn't, they can't change what they did. All I'm saying is that pretending the Wii U didn't happen won't solve anything. It makes much more sense to upgrade the 3DS in the next couple of years. The Wii U they can replace after that, when it's not going to be lost between the PS4/XBOne peak and not destroy consumer confidence in Nintendo platforms

LazerPan wrote:

The disks the Wii U uses are litterally Blu-Ray disks. They just don't pay the licence that allows Blu-Ray movies to be played back. That's not a huge deal because Netflix. If you think it's a big deal you're wrong.

LazerPan wrote:

Btw my list was in no way exhaustive, but I figured anyone with basic understanding in the English language would understand the meaning of «etc.» So no, they would not «limit» themselves by delivering what the usual consumer expect from a home console in 2015, or actually even later because it won*t be out for at least a year.

If you actually had a point you wouldn't need to be so defensive of it

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LazerPan

skywake wrote:

What games that are currently on the Wii U that don't have online desperately need online? Most of their games are built around a single player experience and the ones that aren't are party games. And as someone who has a fairly decent library of games on Steam? When people say "I want more online" I do immediately think "yeah, nah, I nine times out of ten I skip that option anyways". Not every game needs online.

... Pikmin 3, that's the only Wii U title that really needed it and didn't get it IMO

I never said "every game needs online" or mention a single game on the Wii U that in my opinion needs online.
So I ask you again: Did you even read my post?

skywake wrote:

There were at the start and they dried up because it didn't sell. The thing can be as easy to port to as you want but devs aren't going to care if it's not moving units. What about replacing the Wii U this soon would get people to flood to it that doesn't involve third parties miraculously jumping ship. All I'm saying is that they should wait it out until they can really blow our socks off. More importantly I'm saying that the 3DS needs a successor already. Like this year if they could.

Well I too think they should wait so they can blow our socks off. But I disagree they will make a handeld. That is with the just arived new 3DS in mind.

skywake wrote:

Yes, and some of them are on the Wii U. If you want to lecture me on reading comprehension please read my posts first. I didn't say that online is bad, I said that it's not everything for all games. Some of if not most of the best games I've ever played on PC and on Consoles have been single player only experiences. I also was pointing to the fact that improving online infrastructure was literally half of the deal they did with DeNA this week

How is giving away IPs going to affect online multiplayer for the Wii U or NX? They haven't come with any concrete information about it yet.
I might be misinterpreting what you are saying, but to me it seems you are projecting I don't enjoy single player games. Trust me. You don't have to tell me all the great experiences you had with single player games. Believe it or not I've played a fair amount of games myself.

skywake wrote:

Reading comprehension. You're lecturing me about it and yet don't seem to have read my post. Let me quote what I actually said.....

.... and I do have a pretty decent PC, I'm not adverse to spending more. They probably should have bumped up the specs and gone with the same architecture as everyone else. But they didn't, they can't change what they did. All I'm saying is that pretending the Wii U didn't happen won't solve anything. It makes much more sense to upgrade the 3DS in the next couple of years. The Wii U they can replace after that, when it's not going to be lost between the PS4/XBOne peak and not destroy consumer confidence in Nintendo platforms

I'll be honest with you here. I wasn't adressing this post, I didn't even read it. So no need to quote yourself.

skywake wrote:

The disks the Wii U uses are litterally Blu-Ray disks. They just don't pay the licence that allows Blu-Ray movies to be played back. That's not a huge deal because Netflix. If you think it's a big deal you're wrong.

Well I do in fact know what Netflix is.
It still isn't an excuse they could make a DVD player happen for almost no costs.

I belive this topic is about Nintendo NX so I don't understand why you dismiss what I personaly expect from it.

Edited on by LazerPan

LazerPan

LzWinky

Well keep in mind that even Sony's account system is limited in how many systems you can tie to each account (2 each). I think Nintendo could meet in the middle and allow 1 extra handheld and console per account and have some limit on how often you can link each system.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LazerPan

TingLz wrote:

Well keep in mind that even Sony's account system is limited in how many systems you can tie to each account (2 each). I think Nintendo could meet in the middle and allow 1 extra handheld and console per account and have some limit on how often you can link each system.

Why meet half way when they could set a whole new standard? This would turn heads and show everyone who is the leading company in the industry.
They should also remove the region lock. This is just another point where they are behind the competition.

LazerPan

skywake

@LazerPan
You complained about how the Wii U lacked online multiplayer, I assumed you were talking about games. Because that's kinda the point isn't it? If you can't think of a single game they've made that would have been better with an online mode then there's nothing to complain about. Also the Blu-Ray playback thing is ridiculous, it has always been a stupid whine but it's getting more and more so by the day. At this point if you want a Blu-Ray player you'd already have one. They're cheap. This hasn't been a valid point for at least a good five years.

With the complaint is about the accounts system, they don't need to replace the Wii U to resolve that. As I said, that's one of the major things that they announced was going to come out of the deal with DeNA. You couldn't have missed that point could you? Isn't this one of the main slides from that announcement that's been thrown around?
Untitled

The bit about hardware prices I will concede though. I didn't intend to say it in my first post on this page at all, in my head I was thinking "buy a whole other console" and I wrote it as "charge us more for their hardware" which is a bit more vague. I get how you could have interpreted it the other way. What I was saying was that the "average gamer" has only just dipped their toes into this gen. It's not a trivial investment and another new platform when the old one is just gaining momentum? It's a hard sell. Especially if the company selling it isn't offering a huge upgrade.

As I've said repeatedly, replacing the Wii U doesn't solve anything. Unless they find a time machine that ship has sailed and at this point they just have to wait it out. Build confidence, build a reputation for quality software. But the 3DS is also losing momentum and they can solve it's issues completely just with a true successor. Which is why I think the NX is more likely to be a portable, because Nintendo despite their crazyness aren't stupid.

Edited on by skywake

iKhan

IceClimbers wrote:

iKhan wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

@iKhan I'd imagine motion controls will be present in the form of a gyroscope and accelerometer like the 3DS and Wii U GamePad.

That would be disappointing if that was their only application. They work far better in "wand" form.

"Wand" form motion controls are usually seen to be more "gimmicky" and aren't as well received. Say a game has gyro/tilt controls and people will usually say "Cool"; use the word "motion" instead of gyro/tilt even though it's still the same gyro controls and people will complain about the dev trying to "shove motion controls down people's throats".

I'd say that's more of a vocal minority. Also, if you ask me, it's the complete opposite. When you are using a wand style controller, you are more closely emulating the actual motion in the game. Like a sword swing or a punch. Tilt controls tend to have far less correlation to actual movement. Think about how gimmicky the controls feel in something like Super Paper Mario or NSMB. Compare that to Twilight Princess or Metroid Prime 3. Even with aiming, it's a lot less clunky with a single stick then with a giant tablet or controller.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

erv

One of the things I think is possible, and everybody is missing out on, is NX to be a controller for your external game playing device.

It's dedicated hardware, yes, but it also allows for great gameplay on your iphone for instance. "Nintendo branded controller needed for this game", I can see it happening. Eventually, the google boxes, the amazon boxes, even the apple tv boxes are bound to feature an app ecosystem. Watch it accept multiple controllers and voila, dedicated gaming hardware. Though, of course, not the computing power bit, but technically, Iwata wouldn't be lying

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

LazerPan

skywake wrote:

@LazerPan
You complained about how the Wii U lacked online multiplayer, I assumed you were talking about games. Because that's kinda the point isn't it? If you can't think of a single game they've made that would have been better with an online mode then there's nothing to complain about. Also the Blu-Ray playback thing is ridiculous, it has always been a stupid whine but it's getting more and more so by the day. At this point if you want a Blu-Ray player you'd already have one. They're cheap. This hasn't been a valid point for at least a good five years.

With the complaint is about the accounts system, they don't need to replace the Wii U to resolve that. As I said, that's one of the major things that they announced was going to come out of the deal with DeNA. You couldn't have missed that point could you? Isn't this one of the main slides from that announcement that's been thrown around?

The bit about hardware prices I will concede though. I didn't intend to say it in my first post on this page at all, in my head I was thinking "buy a whole other console" and I wrote it as "charge us more for their hardware" which is a bit more vague. I get how you could have interpreted it the other way. What I was saying was that the "average gamer" has only just dipped their toes into this gen. It's not a trivial investment and another new platform when the old one is just gaining momentum? It's a hard sell. Especially if the company selling it isn't offering a huge upgrade.

The thing is that Sony and Microsoft has a much better online features then Nintendo do. It's not just about having online. It's about doing it well.

Let's take an example: You need to have a working Wii U with the content, and a working Wii U that will receive the content if you want to transfer between systems. I know they probably will make it right with NX, but it still isn't an excuse for the Wii U.

In Mario Kart players are limited to talking to one another in the lobby area while waiting for a race to start. I've read people use Xbox Live party chat while playing Mario Kart 8 so they can talk during the race.

So I will say it again. Nintendo needs to deliver better online services.

Edited on by LazerPan

LazerPan

skywake

@erv
Well technically I guess. Though I think they defined what it was a little bit more specifically than that. All we know is that it's hardware, that it's a platform and that it's not mobile, PC, 3DS or Wii U. Which technically still means it could be a home console, portable, VR device, hybrid or something insane.

But my money's on portable because by the end of this year the 3DS will almost be a five year old platform. It makes sense to replace it soon. They've acknowledged that mobile is eating into their portable business and they're trying to show that they're still into making hardware. I don't think this announcement at all says "so let's retire the Wii U early".

@LazerPan
Has nothing to do with what the NX is or isn't. All the things you're talking about are in software/firmware/servers. They can do all those things with the Wii U and the deal with DeNA was largely about precisely that. I'm not saying their services are perfect, I'm just saying you're barking up the wrong tree. Also I like how you started with a mix of hardware and software whine relating to the Wii U and now you're just left with software whine. At this point you don't even have a reason left as to why the Wii U should be retired.

Edited on by skywake

renaryuugufan92

skywake wrote:

@erv
Well technically I guess. Though I think they defined what it was a little bit more specifically than that. All we know is that it's hardware, that it's a platform and that it's not mobile, PC, 3DS or Wii U. Which technically still means it could be a home console, portable, VR device, hybrid or something insane.

But my money's on portable because by the end of this year the 3DS will almost be a five year old platform. It makes sense to replace it soon. They've acknowledged that mobile is eating into their portable business and they're trying to show that they're still into making hardware. I don't think this announcement at all says "so let's retire the Wii U early".

I still don't get how its early, all Nintendo consoles except the original Famicom/NES and Wii were replaced in the 4-5 year mark, and 2 of their handhelds were replaced within 3 years (GBC via the GBA, and GBA via the DS respectively). while the DS enjoyed a long and arguably overdrawn life due to its hardware in contrast with the rise of mobile and the 3DS's initial fight on the market.

If the Wii U is replaced next year or in 2017 by the NX going by the lifespans of the SNES,64 and GCN its rather average and fine really, why hold onto something that hasn't and doesn't seem to be catching on and its a bit too late to start marketing it, its like a child, you raise them early, not in their teens. May be a bad analogy but for me it works so thats my opinion lol.

I think the NX will be a hybrid, the time seems right for that type of experimentation and giving the rocky start of the 3DS and the ongoing rocky road of the Wii U... I think thats what they will choose to do, cover both markets at once and satisfy both types of Nintendo gamers at once. However as I tried to express on here before I want them to modernize and improve their infrastructure, they can do what they want to provide new fun ways to play but they should also be on par and actually have a competitive attitude. The reasons why I want them to modernize is because we've gone through 2 generations since the GCN and they just seem to be falling behind rather than staying ahead, sure they provide new ways to control our games but to me that hasn't equated to a wow factor since the first time I swung the wii remote, the 3d on the 3DS was neat, and the game-pad is unique and great for some games but I want something traditional yet still unique while Nintendo finally catches up. I've been with them since my youth so its only natural to have constructive criticism towards what they do and provide us with. I want them to do what they do best provide fun innovative and creative experiences while modernizing to fit the standards gamers like today is that at all wrong? I don't think so personally, I love my 3DS and Wii U I really do, but I also acknowledge the flaws both systems have which is why if the fans don't speak up about what they want, Nintendo might not provide, voices from the fans speak louder than assumptions based on our buying habits. Thats all I got for this so I'll end the post here hopefully I've spoke or rather typed clear enough.

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874

LzWinky

Well then they need to update their main site. It still says two portable

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

DefHalan

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

Its actually quite pointless of us to ask for modernization on this site, I did that yesterday and got the same response as you. Until Nintendo does it themselves its like we're talking to brick walls who think that every things all fine and dandy and should be repeated with NX. I also like when they say 4 years (if NX releases next year) for a new console is too soon, makes me wonder if they know the transition of every Nintendo console from the SNES up till the Wii was a 4-5 year period...

Sorry for trying to have a rational discussion with each of us on different sides of the topic. Also I don't think people say it is to soon because of how long the system is out but how much use they have gotten out of the system. I have gotten my money's worth out of the console (maybe not out of each game) so I wouldn't mind a replacement next year (even though it is more likely to be 2017 as they would announce it next year) I think Nintendo just needs to prove to consumers investing in their product will be fruitful throughout its lifespan, unlike the Wii. That is what people mean by to soon.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

LazerPan

skywake wrote:

@LazerPan
Has nothing to do with what the NX is or isn't.

Let me see if I get this right. I make a post about how I feel Nintendo should move forward with the supposedly new gaming console "NX". You quote me and say: "Your ideas are stupid and Nintendo would go bankrupt if they did this."
I make a reply with valid arguments about my claims. Then you say it has nothing to do with NX?

skywake wrote:

All the things you're talking about are in software/firmware/servers. They can do all those things with the Wii U and the deal with DeNA was largely about precisely that. I'm not saying their services are perfect, I'm just saying you're barking up the wrong tree. Also I like how you started with a mix of hardware and software whine relating to the Wii U and now you're just left with software whine. At this point you don't even have a reason left as to why the Wii U should be retired.

It might just be a software issue, but that could easily been avoided if they added a good communication system to begin with.
Here's a list of features PS4/XOne has compared to Wii U:
Game DVR
Cloud Storage
Play As You Download
Remote Download
Account Access from Multiple Consoles
Cross Game Chat
Live Streaming
Reputation Preservation

So how is it just software related?

LazerPan

DefHalan

LazerPan wrote:

skywake wrote:

All the things you're talking about are in software/firmware/servers. They can do all those things with the Wii U and the deal with DeNA was largely about precisely that. I'm not saying their services are perfect, I'm just saying you're barking up the wrong tree. Also I like how you started with a mix of hardware and software whine relating to the Wii U and now you're just left with software whine. At this point you don't even have a reason left as to why the Wii U should be retired.

It might just be a software issue, but that could easily been avoided if they added a good communication system to begin with.
Game DVR
Cloud Storage
Play As You Download
Remote Download
Cross Game Chat
Live Streaming
Reputation Preservation

I think outside of the ones I bolded Nintendo would have to start charging for their Online Services. I feel like it won't require new Hardware for the things I bolded either. As of right now I am not affected by these but I think the ones I bolded should be the priority for Nintendo.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

TOUGHDUDE94

here is what the wii u has and ps4/xbox one
local multiplayer
no mandatory downloads on physical games
no mandatory internet connection for some 1st party and 3rd party games
free online
free online multiplayer

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

Haiassai

If this is a console... I'm still holding onto my hopes that they call it the UNES: Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System. However, with this "Cross platform" hype, it probably won't :/

Haiassai

3DS Friend Code: 5300-9678-4406 | Nintendo Network ID: Haiassai | Twitter:

iKhan

LazerPan wrote:

People need to realise Nintendo isn't alone in making gimmick gamecontrollers. You can get the same type of motion controller for the PS4 as Nintendo is offering. It's nice to have the ability to make games for a special type of controller and it has been around since the zapper for NES. Nintendo can't keep forcing this on their customers. If they want to make games that is completly different and needs a special controller, fine. But making it the standard is not the way to go. If they could go back to the roots it would make it easier for other publishers to make games for the console, and they would also have the choice to make use of other controllers if they want. Nintendo needs to meet the modern standards if they are going to surive. Today we take for granted good online multiplay, web store, DVD play, hardware that isn't outdated, games tied to your network account etc. Nintendo can be as innovative they want, but if they can't meet the bare minimum that is expected from a modern gaming system they are going to have a hard time winning support anywere...

Here's the thing. If you aren't going to make a unique controller the system's standard, you might as well not include it at all. This is the mistake Sony and Microsoft made with the Kinect and Move. The Move isn't even supported for a shooter like Uncharted. Why? Because the developer knows only a fraction of the user base has or will use those unique controllers, so it's not worth the extra cost of development. Nintendo actually made the same mistake with Wii Motion +. Not making the controllers standard also leads to the myth that anything that isn't a direct derivative of the SNES controller is only worth using for games built around it. If you ask me, the Wii's best games were the ones that used the motion controls as an immersive tool like Twilight Princess or Super Mario Galaxy, rather than something absolutely necessary (like Skyward Sword)

The Wii Remote also allowed the Wii to differentiate itself from the PS360. Buying a Wii didn't just mean you unlocked Nintendo games. It meant that you had the hardware combination to play motion controlled games. When you conform to a "standard" you are just making duplicates of the competition, and that's bad for us as consumers, as we have less choices. We are forced to buy a platform solely because games were kept exclusive for no reason other than money.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

I still don't get how its early, all Nintendo consoles except the original Famicom/NES and Wii were replaced in the 4-5 year mark, and 2 of their handhelds were replaced within 3 years (GBC via the GBA, and GBA via the DS respectively). while the DS enjoyed a long and arguably overdrawn life due to its hardware in contrast with the rise of mobile and the 3DS's initial fight on the market.

Because in order to make this next platform not "too early" for it to be replacing the Wii U people are pushing it's date all the way to the back end of 2017. Just to have it not be crazy. The poll on the front page asks what we think of the NX and gives us two ways to answer it that show concern about what it does to the Wii U and Nintendo's image if they dump it. Even talking about a Wii U successor in 2016 would really slow momentum, I suspect the fact that the media has assumed it's the Wii U is probably doing some damage to the Wii U already. Replacing the Wii U next year causes problems, it's in the back of everyone's minds.

And the thing is it doesn't have to be the Wii U. You talked about how the DS' life was drawn out, I assume you think it should have been replaced sooner? Well the 3DS would have been around for just as long if they don't give it a successor next year and I don't think it's in as good a spot as the DS was. With the Wii U if they replaced it at the last possible minute in 2017 then it would have had basically normal cycle. However if they replace the 3DS after that date, by six months or so? It will be the longest life of a Nintendo console since the GameBoy......

There's two sides to this thing. I'm not saying that the Wii U shouldn't be replaced some point in late 2017. What I'm saying is that the 3DS should be replaced before then. Not only because the 3DS is starting to fall behind but because I can see a lot more new games ideas they could come up if they had a "4DS" on sale right now. A lot more than I think they'll come up with if they created a "Wii U2" even if we give it two years.

LazerPan wrote:

I make a reply with valid arguments about my claims. Then you say it has nothing to do with NX?

Well given you only quoted the first sentence of my post I can only assume that's all you read. I explained why none of those things had anything to do with what the NX would or wouldn't be. Whether it would be a portable or not. As I said then and I'll say again it's purely because those things are services and have nothing to do with hardware.

LazerPan wrote:

Game DVR
Cloud Storage
Play As You Download
Remote Download
Cross Game Chat
Live Streaming
Reputation Preservation

You're asking how is that software related? Well because other than "reputation preservation" (WTF does that even) literally everything you listed is in software. That's why it's just software related. Technically they could all be done on the Wii U and I suspect a lot of them may come out when DeNA's new services launch. You know, that other part of the conference, the bit where they talk about cross platform communication and a replacement to Club Nintendo all in one thing. That's coming this year BTW, well before this new hardware. And if they don't bother with some of those things? It'll be because they don't think it's necessary.

In particular things like cloud saves, remote downloads, better account flexibility and the ability to play as you download. Remote downloads especially, they've already done all the hard work with that one, the thing has already had a firmware update that allows new software to be pushed to your console. The Cloud Saves thing also kinda has to happen if they expect a lot of the more interesting cross-play things to be possible. Even the stuff like Live Streaming and Game DVR, we are talking about a console that is already broadcasting video to your GamePad. It might not be able to do it at full HD and maybe if they were to really push it they might even need to only allow you to broadcast what's on the GamePad. But it should be possible. If Nintendo thinks it's worth the effort, it is a fairly niche feature and it's not like broadcasting Wii U games isn't possible already with additional hardware.

As I pointed out, this isn't a list of reasons why the Wii U should be replaced. This is a list of stuff DeNA needs to look at when they upgrade Nintendo's cross-platform infrastructure. I'll also add that while I think the Wii U is technically capable of a lot of this stuff, I'm not sure if the 3DS is. So again it's the 3DS that's more in need of "modernising". I mean they had to Frankenstein a marginally faster CPU and more RAM on the thing just to allow it to open MiiVerse in Smash. The 3DS is being held together with duct-tape.

edit: and on that "reputation preservation" thing. People forget how much good-will amongst fans of gaming Nintendo built up during the Gamecube years. I remember specifically in 2005/2006 quite a few of my friends were getting cheap GameCubes and raving about how great games like Metroid Prime were. Enough that it convinced me, someone who'd jumped from the SNES to PC and stayed there, that Nintendo were still great game makers. Which is partly why I got a DSLite and why when I watched E3 2006 it hit me doubly hard. I don't think the Wii U being the Gamecube or even Dreamcast of this generation hurts their image at all in the long run.

edit2: sorry for the wall of text

Edited on by skywake

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.