Forums

Topic: Nintendo NX

Posts 161 to 180 of 360

MegaMari0

Originally yes. Nintendo saw amazingly well the DS was doing and decided to retire the gameboy.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

skywake

The DS as the "third pillar" in a nutshell:

Nintendo: "So we're announcing this new console, but don't worry we'll still be making games for the GBA"
Public: "ok, sounds cool. I'll just keep playing GBA games then"
Nintendo: "Ok, so here's a Dog simulator, a return to 2D Mario, Mario Kart and Brain Training"
Public: "omg, omg, omg, omg, omg....."
Nintendo: "Ok so at this point the Next Pokemon will be on the DS, the GBA is basically dead, sorry"
Public: "What's this 'GBA' thing you speak of?"

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

CrazyOtto

cookiex wrote:

Was the DS really meant as a "third pillar"? It practically made the GBA obsolete.

They initially said that as a marketing ploy just in case the DS ended up failing so they could release a new Game Boy as a "Plan B", I think the DS was always meant to replace the GBA.

CrazyOtto

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

WebHead

Yeah I think DS wasn't supposed to come out until 2006 but the poor GameCube sales combined with the threat of the PSP(at the time) forced it out early.

Anyway, I'm now on board with the NL staff thinking NX should be a unified platform. Dividing studios and making games for 2 different systems with different OS, architecture, APIs, etc doesn't seem to be a sound plan anymore.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

iKhan

Can we stop saying "third pillar"? With QoL, this would be a "fourth pillar"

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

WebHead

iKhan wrote:

I agree QoL will be the " third pillar." NX is their next big thing for gaming.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

cookiex

iKhan wrote:

Wouldn't the smartphone games make this a "fifth pillar"?

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Dreamsleep

I can't wait to see it, as based on the Iwata quotes I have read, we can expect the following:

No backward compatibility: Fresh OS start (unified with the eventual console)
Multiple form factors: They want a business model like Apple. Unified OS, meaning that new hardware doesn't mean you can't play new games. Apps can be run on many different models, over time, which means more money made on hardware, since it can have new iterations yearly.
Nintendo Quality: It isn't going anywhere, as the smartphone games are really just licensed IP usage. Unified OS means more games are available, as well, since they aren't limited by the OS tied to each specific hardware anymore.

I think it will have a tablet form factor, as well as a clamshell form factor. Regular, and XL for both.

Atari 2600, Commodore 64/128, Sega Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, PC, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Wii, PSP, DSi, PS3, 3DSXL, WiiU

Bolt_Strike

Operative wrote:

The third pillar theory is very unrealistic. They can barely support 2 consoles at once let alone 3. Plus, remember the last 2 times they tried a ""3rd pillar" as to not upset fans of the older consoles? The GBA and DS happened. The GBA was supposed to be "complementary" to the Game Boy Color. Just like the DS was complementary to the GBA.

Realistically, whatever it is, it will replace either the 3DS or Wii U

Exactly. Making NX a third pillar would likely not end well because it's most likely going cannibalize one or the other (unless they've come up with something truly revolutionary that is different enough from handheld and console environments to justify its existence, but I doubt they do). And in general leaving the 3DS and Wii U on the market for longer than 2017 is a bad idea. They wouldn't benefit as much from the unified OS because there's too much of a performance gap between them, so it would make development even harder than it already is, defeating the purpose of having the OS in the first place. And they would face a lot of criticism from the rest of the market if they kept outdated hardware on the market when Microsoft and Sony are releasing even more powerful hardware. So introducing a third pillar in 2017 and sticking with 3DS and Wii U for longer wouldn't really benefit them, it's more likely than NX is some kind of replacement.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

IceClimbers

I imagine that if the NX is a hybrid, it would be introduced as a third pillar, but obviously it will replace both Wii U and 3DS. Releasing it as a third pillar will cannibalize Wii U and 3DS sales, yes, but that's the point. It's supposed to do that. The DS did that to the GBA, and that was a thriving platform. 3DS is a waning platform and Wii U is a failed platform.

If NX is not a hybrid, then no, it will not be introduced as a third pillar.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Bolt_Strike

IceClimbers wrote:

I imagine that if the NX is a hybrid, it would be introduced as a third pillar, but obviously it will replace both Wii U and 3DS. Releasing it as a third pillar will cannibalize Wii U and 3DS sales, yes, but that's the point. It's supposed to do that. The DS did that to the GBA, and that was a thriving platform. 3DS is a waning platform and Wii U is a failed platform.

That defeats the purpose though, and there's not much reason to market something as a third pillar if it's intended to be a replacement. That would imply that there's no hurry to upgrade, which would hurt sales of the new product. If they want it to be a replacement they should just come out and say it, there's no reason to lie in the marketing.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

IceClimbers

Bolt_Strike wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

That defeats the purpose though, and there's not much reason to market something as a third pillar if it's intended to be a replacement. That would imply that there's no hurry to upgrade, which would hurt sales of the new product. If they want it to be a replacement they should just come out and say it, there's no reason to lie in the marketing.

The point of it is to soften the blow and make the transition smoother. It allows them to cut the Wii U's lifespan short, as even though it will have the average lifespan, people feel as though the first year pretty much did not count as nothing major released until Fall 2013. To them, the Wii U might as well have released in Fall 2013.

Announcing it as a 3rd pillar has worked before, and it can work again.

EDIT: Ok, I just re-read my comment, and I have no idea where I was going with that.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

TOUGHDUDE94

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

andrew20 wrote:

They could call it xtreme by using the X in the code name and it will be cool too
handheld
1.if it a handheld I want changeable faceplates
2.want colorful buttons
3.want more options for themes
4.make it have hd out to plug it to a TV using HDMI port
5.have backwards compatibility
6.make it powerful to last and to compete with home consoles
7.must use sd cards and have at least a usb cable even if you use the dsi/3ds charge port
HOME CONSOLE
1.make it very great
2. more powerful to complete with other consoles
3.no gimmicks
4.keep motion control and balance board comp. that could be used with any fitness or Wii compatabity via. digital or physical
5.make game that hard core and everyone will like
BOTH
1.get 3rd parties to love it and want to make games for it
2.sell it to people do not do the wii u anymore make it a new console with a new name Wii and ds has run it course
also make the online free

No gimmicks, I'm sorry as interesting as the idea of a hybrid console is, a hybrid console in itself is a gimmick. My reasoning for this, recently Nintendo's hardware business has been much brighter on the handheld side of things and them merging them sounds like a good idea, in principle,but will it succeed? time will tell.

Heres my wishlist for Nintendo's next generation
1. MARKET YOUR PRODUCTS PLEASE
2. ACTUALLY GIVE US THAT ROBUST ONLINE EXPERIENCE REGGIE insert that one youtube interview with him pre-Wii U launch here
3. do what you do best, quality games.

also a handheld is more likely or it can be like the 2ds and a tablet combo idea is go to

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

skywake

Here's a thought for the people so stuck on this "hybrid device" idea. Lets say you're right and they try to do both. Lets say for arguments sake this hybrid costs, for example, $250US with the amount of power such a device would deliver in late 2016. Basically it would end up being a very efficient and portable version of the 360 plugged into a something between a 480p and 720p display. And just for arguments sake lets say they sell separately a $50US device that lets you "cast" your games to your big screen TV.

But while they're doing this it would make sense they continue to sell the Wii U and 3DS including some new games and by then decent price cuts. For arguments sake lets say at this point the Wii U is selling for $200US and the New 3DS XL is going for $150US. The Wii U and 3DS at this stage have massive libraries and this NX, although it comes out with bang, only has one or two titles worth playing.

So given all of that info, you're a customer in late 2016/early 2017 and you walk into the shops. You don't have any console at all, maybe you're getting one for your kid or something. Who knows. What do you get?

• Spend $300US and get the NX and the casting device because "Wii U and 3DS are both dead"
  • Spend $200US and grab a Wii U because the Wii U is still the best way to play Nintendo games on your TV
  • Spend $300US on a PS4, because that thing is actually quite a bit more powerful
  • Spend $250US on this NX and nothing else because for a portable device it's pretty fantastic
  • Spend $150US on the 3DS because it's cheap and it has the new Pokemon

edit:
Personally with such a device even if it could do both I wouldn't "upgrading" from my Wii U. I certainly wouldn't look at it as a device that competes with the PS4 or XBOne. And if they marketed it in that way people would think they were going mad. However when you compare it to the Vita, the 3DS or even people who want a portable gaming device in general? It looks very, very competitive.

Edited on by skywake

Azooooz

My new assumption: Maybe this NX won't replace the existing Nintendo console. Instead, it may be a new category product that would co-exist with Wii U and 3DS. Look at the slide with the membership service diagram again, and see what I mean.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

skywake

@Azooooz
I'm sure similar slides where shown when they first announced the 3DS, Wii U, DS, Wii etc. Or when Sony announced the Vita, PS4, PS3. You don't go and outright say that you're going to replace a platform that's still on store shelves. Also I'm sure they've been working on what they'll be doing for a while.... and these two slides are only a year old....

Untitled
Untitled

I don't think it's at all a coincidence that last year they were talking about how migration between Wii and Wii U, DS and 3DS was brutal. And how they were going to fix that by putting the Wii U, 3DS, a Future Handheld and a Future Console under the same ecosystem along with "smart devices". Very, very much what they were talking about yesterday. They haven't said anything yet to assume that something's changed.

Edited on by skywake

erv

I think nx could be the return of the mighty wii speak. When I got that, it was great - you could send someone you regularly spoke in real life and who was bothered enough to share you a 16 digit code a message going "pfft pfft pfffft pfft pfft" and it even pffted while gaming in monster hunter tri. You could say all kinds of pfft pfft to another person.

Perhaps nx is as revolutionary to actually improve on the concept allowing us to send "prrrt prrt" with the occasional recognisable word (shudder) in between. Using smart devices to send the far more friendly nnid’s to connect first.

I’ve got this nx thing all figured out! Nintendo is going modern now!

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

renaryuugufan92

erv wrote:

For the sake of their image, brand name, fanbase, and lasting appeal, I sure hope so...

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874

DefHalan

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

erv wrote:

For the sake of their image, brand name, fanbase, and lasting appeal, I sure hope so...

Haven't they always been modern?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

DefHalan

Yellowtails wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

erv wrote:

Haven't they always been modern?

In a way, no, since they don't have a lot of online games on the Wii U and the ones that do, it doesn't match Xbox Live or Playstation Network standards, barely any voice chat, barely any cross buy with games, account purchases still being tied to hardware, and the Wii U is way underpowered compared to the Xbox One and the PS4.

I wouldn't count those as "modern"

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.