News Forum

Topic: Miyamoto Admits Some People Hate The Legend Of Zelda Toon Link Design

Showing 81 to 100 of 134

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SilverBaretta

81. Posted:

@Faron: While I do mostly agree with what you said, having too much variety would make it a lot easier for a truly ugly Link design to see the light to day. So, have variety, but don't change it every game....

I'm pretty sure I think I'm funnier than I really am.
10 Years of Kingdom Hearts
3DS Friend Code: 0301-9785-9580
Watch me and my friends play games! Now with better visual quality! (Still a little choppy though)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

82. Posted:

they just need to make sure the next time Toon Link is in a game it doesn't look like the DS games.

That was truly awful looking.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TeeJay

83. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

they just need to make sure the next time Toon Link is in a game it doesn't look like the DS games.

That was truly awful looking.

You won't have to worry about that. The 3DS is capable of producing Toon Link as he appeared in Wind Waker. :)

Spiritloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Meta-Rift

84. Posted:

I always thought it was odd how people hated Wind Waker's colorful, cartoon art direction, then they hated Twilight Princesses gritty realism, and now there are plenty that hate the look of Skyward Sword.

@Faron: A long time ago, I got this crazy idea. What if there were a Zelda game with two different worlds (like the Light and Dark Worlds, or maybe just two different time periods like OoT) that each had their own art style. Imagine Toon Link pulling out the Master Sword and becoming Twilight Princess Link. Going from a Wind Waker-esque Hyrule to a Twilight Princess landscape like that would be really cool.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

85. Posted:

Rift wrote:

I always thought it was odd how people hated Wind Waker's colorful, cartoon art direction, then they hated Twilight Princesses gritty realism, and now there are plenty that hate the look of Skyward Sword.

Different strokes for different folks. You can't please everyone (I wish someone would tell Nintendo that...). Personally, I prefer the gritty and realistic look of Link, and I hate the cartoony Link. And combining the two styles just looks so weird. I don't outright hate the Skyward Sword Link, but it was off-putting at first.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LeasTwanteD

86. Posted:

Rift wrote:

@Faron: A long time ago, I got this crazy idea. What if there were a Zelda game with two different worlds (like the Light and Dark Worlds, or maybe just two different time periods like OoT) that each had their own art style. Imagine Toon Link pulling out the Master Sword and becoming Twilight Princess Link. Going from a Wind Waker-esque Hyrule to a Twilight Princess landscape like that would be really cool.

Before i finished writing my earlier comment i had this idea too. Then i thought it would just destroy the graphical flow of the game. I mean you can reach these goals by just using darker tones and effects. But it's an interesting idea for sure. It just has to be done very, very well. :)

Edited on by LeasTwanteD

NSFW

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bonesy91

87. Posted:

TeeJay wrote:

bonesy91 wrote:

"walks in"
well being a HUGE zelda fan I thought I'd get my 2 cents in.

Yes of course it comes to no shock that not everybody likes "Toon Link" as stated. (Even at first I was thrown off by the little guy) But I've learned one thing about gaming that I will stick to: Never judge a game by how it looks! (ok except the Zelda CDI games haha)

The reason? For years I listened to my brother about how if it doesn't look "dark and cool and stuff" then the game is going to be dreadful. Not true, the game will have it's other reasons for being terrible (bad gameplay mechanics, broken controls, scary voice acting, ect.) and I must say, I've missed out on my fair share of great titles thanks to that advice... Never again.

Cheers.

Broken controls? What? Where?

lol i just meant that if any game should be labeled as terrible it usually has to do with broken controls. Not Zelda of course :) (although the CDI games controls are broken :p )

Wiiu: "the next generation of gaming is here"
All My info! 3DS friend code, PSN ID and WiiU ID on my backlog!
Wiiu ID: bonesy. Add me if you play monster hunter 3 ultimate.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RudysaurusRex

88. Posted:

I HATE TOON-LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!My exclamations show my hatred.

Wibbely-wobbely timey-wimey.
Pokemon W2 FC: 5415 8785 0283
My Awesomloggery
The best troll thread ever

Twitter: rudydog13

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Meta-Rift

89. Posted:

@bonsey91: I disagree. I've played way too many games that control well, but have some other crucial flaw. (level design, gameplay, lack of direction, etc.)

@Mickeymac: Yeah, but I still think it's silly for people to expect it to be their way every time. Personally, I don't have a preference, and I like it when Nintendo experiments with new looks for the series. I do wish they had used sprites for the DS games, because the 3DS is really their first handheld that's capable of doing Toon Link justice.

Skyward Sword looks a little strange to me, but I think it's only because I'm used to Toon Link being the only cel-shaded Link. If I think of him as Toon Link without the cartoon proportions, it doesn't seen weird anymore. It could be worse. They could have use the Wind Waker character model with Twilight Princess shading. :P

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Punny

90. Posted:

Ah, Toon Link. Either you like him or you don't. Personally, I enjoy him. He's enthusiastic, expressive, colorful, and surprisingly aggressive when need be (just look what he did to Ganondorf in The WInd Waker!). Actually, I like every Link except for the CD-i Link and Cartoon Link (from The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!). They made a valuable lesson to the series - DON'T MAKE LINK TALK.

I'm back (for the moment)!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Henmii

91. Posted:

I actually love Toon Link, and the games he appeared in. In fact I would love it if one day, the "Windwaker" style comes back to Nintendo home consoles!!

And why can't we have a young Link on the homeconsoles again? After all, it STARTED with a young Link! What's wrong with a young Link on the Nintendo homeconsoles? Have you guys all grown up THAT much!!

Henmii

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TeeJay

92. Posted:

Henmii wrote:

I actually love Toon Link, and the games he appeared in. In fact I would love it if one day, the "Windwaker" style comes back to Nintendo home consoles!!

Um, there already is.

Edited on by TeeJay

Spiritloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lotice-Paladin

93. Posted:

LTD wrote:

warioswoods wrote:

1. Wind Waker was a breath of fresh air... or, fresh water... or salt water, you get the point.
3. Toon Link was made for cell-shading, and just looks weird in that non-cell-shaded pic above.

At first that's what i thought about that picture too. But i really can't decide now because his clothes and hair do look a bit bland in comparison.
Untitled
Untitled
But maybe i should just play to game again to see the model back in action. :)

The Wii did him justice...although I still love the way the graphics are in the Gamecube version.

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

94. Posted:

why do people hate TL for his cel shadedness? after one of the "best games eveah" GTA has it to

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

95. Posted:

TeeJay wrote:

Henmii wrote:

I actually love Toon Link, and the games he appeared in. In fact I would love it if one day, the "Windwaker" style comes back to Nintendo home consoles!!

Um, there already is.

what?

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TeeJay

96. Posted:

GuardianAcorn wrote:

TeeJay wrote:

Henmii wrote:

I actually love Toon Link, and the games he appeared in. In fact I would love it if one day, the "Windwaker" style comes back to Nintendo home consoles!!

Um, there already is.

what?

LOL! Link fail! I'll change it.

Spiritloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

97. Posted:

I didn't think Game Shark had anything to do with Wind Waker's style returning. Do you have to cheat to get it? :O

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TeeJay

98. Posted:

lzbirdboy wrote:

I didn't think Game Shark had anything to do with Wind Waker's style returning. Do you have to cheat to get it? :O

Changed it.

Spiritloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

99. Posted:

TeeJay wrote:

lzbirdboy wrote:

I didn't think Game Shark had anything to do with Wind Waker's style returning. Do you have to cheat to get it? :O

Changed it.

Did you now? You know I kid. Anyway, it's a good thing they're bringing it back!

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RogueBologna

100. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

Well I love Toon Link and hate Link's Ocarina of Time design. So there!

This.

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7445-0519