Forums

Topic: Big New Final Fantasy Titles Coming In 2018

Posts 81 to 100 of 112

Pungu

Yeah, I really don't understand the 3 games thing. Each game is supposed to be as long as FF13, which I guess that's a decent length, but I'm worried about transferring save files and such. Do we have to start from scratch with each new game? That would destroy the best part of RPGs, building up your party. I hope they don't say it's a homage to the fact the original had 3 discs...

Also, there's no need to worry about turn-based games disappearing. Atlus RPGs are mostly turn-based, we have DQ11 coming up, and there's a wealth of fantastic lower budget/indie games coming up like Lost Sphear. This is on top of all the classics you can still play in their original form. Now is the best time to be a fan of turn-based RPGs. Yeah, none of them are probably going to be as revolutionary as FF7, but that's not a fair judgement for a video game.

I am Pingu's cousin, Pungu - Noot Noot!

darkfenrir

Well maybe they can be like how .hack did things? Disc 1/2/3 (and Disc 4 if you get the remaster), with each is continuation of the Disc before and you can import saves, but you can also just jump in to the 2nd / 3rd if you want to kind of thing?

darkfenrir

Inertiacreep

@NotAceAttorney right, i know there are quite a few good turn based games coming up... it's just depressing when the franchise that made me love the genre doesn't even know what they're doing anymore.

Inertiacreep

Pungu

@Inertiacreep Look, I totally feel you on that. I do miss when turn-based games were some of the best the entire industry had to offer, which doesn't happen as often. Square tried to appeal to older fans with World of FF, but that game is so simplified that it's not even that fun. But it's a shame that a lot of people who worked for SquareSoft, aren't there anymore. They took their ideas with them.

MarcelRguez

@Inertiacreep

Inertiacreep wrote:

they have to make this an action game because the new fan base is who's going to buy it because SE can't make an RPG good enough to sell like the original FF7 because nobody wants to play turn based anymore

My dude, you should re-read his post again, because you're exaggerating what he actually said. You can argue with people without putting words in their mouths.

Edit: and just for the sake for it:

Inertiacreep wrote:

screw the new fan base.. if they kept the same battle system and essentially the same game with upgraded graphics people would hail it as one of the best FF ever

This is your main point. You claim Persona 5 being nominated for GotY proves that there's a demand for triple-A turn-based RPGs, so FFVII should be fine. Two things about that:

1) The combat system on FFVII is ancient as far as turn-based goes. Atlus RPGs are more elaborate, since they usually feature turn-management mechanics. Turn-based in general is moving into that, including Square's own efforts. Even Pokémon toys with the idea, with the whole "switching a Pokémon for free"-based metagame.

2) Reality check: Persona 5 sold 2 million units. NieR: Automata, a niche ARPG without the recognition and prestige of the Persona name, reached that mark faster than Persona. Make of that what you will.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Dezzy

NotAceAttorney wrote:

Yeah, I really don't understand the 3 games thing. Each game is supposed to be as long as FF13, which I guess that's a decent length, but I'm worried about transferring save files and such. Do we have to start from scratch with each new game? That would destroy the best part of RPGs, building up your party. I hope they don't say it's a homage to the fact the original had 3 discs...

They're clearly doing it just because of the length and size of it. They have said that at some point.
The original FF7, if recreated to-scale in modern 3D would basically be the biggest video game world ever created. They couldn't avoid that without changing the sense that it's the same game. Midgar needs to be absolutely huge for it to work in the lore and story of the game. It also has to be fairly small compared to the rest of the world. It can't take up half of the eastern continent without massively changing the sense that the world hangs together in the same way (e.g Junon is pretty huge too. But they have to be quite a long way away from each other or the same story doesn't work. Therefore the continent has to still be much larger than both of them)

When you then combine that with the length: the original story was about 40 hours long. Translate that into modern gaming where conversations needs things like expressions, acting, body language, camera movement between characters etc, as well as the fact that it'll take a lot longer to travel between separate places on the world map, and you've got a significantly longer game than the original.

So I think they're splitting it into 3 because they want the final thing to feel just as epic as the original. Squashing it all into 1 game would require cutting so much stuff down to a more manageable size.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Pungu

@Dezzy Yeah the scale would be a problem. I still would have liked one, single and complete experience, but I get why they want to do it like this. But my concern is that they're really over-extending themselves. They are essentially making 3 games. And we still don't even have KH3 yet. I hope this doesn't prevent them from doing other big budget games cause let's be real here. No way in heck is FF7R being completed this generation. I am 99% sure this game is going into PS5 or whatever is next.

Dezzy

@NotAceAttorney

I would prefer that too. But I also want it to feel as epic as the original did, so I want huge and fully explorable towns and cities and also a huge explorable world map (preferably seamless with the towns although that might be too much to ask).
There's just no way that would all fit into a single game. Midgar, Junon and the Gold Saucer are all absolutely huge and the world map that fits them in will obviously have to be huge too.

Inertiacreep

@MarcelRguez like for real.. I'm just done with you. You can't read. We are talking about a subject regarding a whole subset of gamers that was the idea in a summary like I'm just tired of re explaining this whole thread to you.

FF7 combat is better than FF13 how bout that sh**

Inertiacreep

MarcelRguez

@Inertiacreep You are arguing that. Or trying anyway. With nobody, I might add. But yeah, if you don't want to address the actual conversation then I'm done as well.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Pungu

@Dezzy I think it should be seamless. There's no excuse not to make it seamless now. If they're going to make 3 games, then they should go all out for each one. And they aren't using the un-optimised engine from FFXV. Unreal Engine is much more reliable, so they don't have to worry about the game not working.

@Inertiacreep I don't think anyone is going to disagree that FF7's combat is better than FF13's. I actively avoided every fight I could in FF13 because it felt like the biggest waste of time.

Pungu

@Snaplocket The world of FF7 will be much bigger if all three parts are combined. They can make almost an entire game just with Midgard.

Anti-Matter

@NotAceAttorney
About FF VII Remake...
It's also.... Cloud has to.... dressed up.... like a Drag Queen.... with Wig and Woman outfits.... to get inside Don Corneo place.... to save Tifa.
And imagine those scene in HD Remake !

Anti-Matter

Pungu

@Anti-Matter Yeah, just that town in general would be interesting to see. It was very...unique, so to speak. Some good dialogue there too. They all threatened to rip off "IT" off. xP

@Snaplocket I'd love to see this too. I think the Advent Children outfit for Cloud is shoe-in. For Tifa, I would imagine they'd have the cowgirl outfit. Hopefully they make some totally brand new ones.

Dezzy

NotAceAttorney wrote:

@Dezzy I think it should be seamless. There's no excuse not to make it seamless now.

I have no idea what the constraints on making a seamless open world are. That's why I'm not sure. How many games have we seen that have current gen AAA production values and have a huge seamless open world that contains several large and different cities.
Skyrim had loading going into buidings and dungeons. Witcher 3 had loading between different maps. Xenoblade X had only 1 city. FF15 had loading between different maps.
Can't think of any examples of something equivalent to the FF7 map being done.

Pungu

@Dezzy That's a good point actually. But I wonder how big each FF7 game is going to be anyway. If each individual game world isn't that big, they could probably make it quite seamless. But there might be a loading screen when you leave, say, Midgard, and enter the bigger map. Maybe like in FF15, how Altissia is a separate area. Except Midgard would be a lot more dense and packed with stuff to do.

What would really surprise me, is if they did a world map. That doesn't seem likely though.

Inertiacreep

@NotAceAttorney i don't see why you guys are saying this would be the biggest 3d world ever... i guess it's been a long time since i played it, but to me it doesn't seem like it would have to be so massive...
But you guys think each game is going to be its own game, like xenosaga? Except this is a remake of 1 game.. if they start changing it each release this thing is just going to be a huge mess.

Inertiacreep

Pungu

@Inertiacreep That's why I'm a little concerned. From reading interviews and the like, I'm getting the feeling that this is going to be more of a three-part thing, rather than one game divided into 3 discs. I don't expect radical changes with each release, but yeah. I don't think I'm phrasing this right.

Dezzy

Inertiacreep wrote:

@NotAceAttorney i don't see why you guys are saying this would be the biggest 3d world ever... i guess it's been a long time since i played it, but to me it doesn't seem like it would have to be so massive...

Alright, you called for it. Nerd attack time.
Lets take a look at just Midgar for a general guide.

Untitled

So we know Shinra HQ had about 70 floors of typical height. It's also massively raised on a central platform. So lets say it's overall about equivalent to the Empire State building at 100 floors or about 400m high. Based on the above image, that looks about the same as the radius of the main city. Meaning the whole city would be about 800m across. Nearly 1km.

By comparison, the entire map of skyrim averages to something close to 5.5km across. So Midgar is about 1/7th of the total Skyrim map width.
Whereas in the FF7 world, it's not even 1/7th the size of the eastern continent by itself. And the eastern continent is slightly smaller than the western continent (which has a lot more towns on it), and is about the same size as the northern continent.

So to some up, it's approximately WHOAAAA times bigger than Skyrim.

Edited on by Dezzy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.