Forums

Topic: Big New Final Fantasy Titles Coming In 2018

Posts 41 to 60 of 112

MarcelRguez

Truth be told, at this point I just don't want to hear about FFVII ever again.

Since Square is teasing older games, I'm expecting stuff like FF I-VI sooner than later on the Switch, but not much else. Chrono Trigger, maybe.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

darkfenrir

I hope they'll do some sort of remakes with FF9... Love that one so much

(remake or sequel, really, or just a game along those lines)

Edited on by darkfenrir

darkfenrir

Pungu

@MarcelRguez Yeah, I don't expect them to go out of their way to do something spectacular, like bringing their amazing PS1 collection to modern consoles. Heck, in PAL regions, we still don't have an official release of Chrono Cross, Xenogears and the original PS1 version of Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS Store.
@kkslider5552000 hahahaha. I do love me a classic turn-based game, but in an open world which I can freely explore, having to select options from a menu feels a tad underwhelming.

I am Pingu's cousin, Pungu - Noot Noot!

ilikeike

@NotAceAttorney I see where you're coming from about turn-based battles, but I think there's still a place for them in open-world RPG's, as long as they're done right. Look at DQXI, for instance. It's open world and turn-based, but there are no random encounters so everything is relatively seamless and just flows well.

I personally prefer turn-based combat to action-based, as everything seems cleaner and well-defined when it's menu-based. On the other hand, action-oriented RPG's like Xenoblade can get pretty messy pretty quickly.
Of course, there's a place for both systems and I'm not saying either is right or wrong, just stating an opinion!

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

Dezzy

darkfenrir wrote:

I hope they'll do some sort of remakes with FF9... Love that one so much

(remake or sequel, really, or just a game along those lines)

FF9 is one of the only ones that doesn't need it imo. That style works so well with the prerendered backgrounds and feels like a fairytale set in a series of paintings.
FF8 on the other hand would benefit massively from a remake. That's one of the most realistic styles they've done.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Anti-Matter

@darkfenrir
The Remaster of FF IX has been released on IOs, Android and PS4.

Anti-Matter

Inertiacreep

Ok, the thing is.. why are they even making this remake? Because the fans loved the original and everything about it. They just wanted to play it without blockheads.
So there was the demand. Now they are catering the game towards players who never even asked for the [removed]

Edited on by Octane

Inertiacreep

darkfenrir

Dezzy wrote:

FF9 is one of the only ones that doesn't need it imo. That style works so well with the prerendered backgrounds and feels like a fairytale set in a series of paintings.
FF8 on the other hand would benefit massively from a remake. That's one of the most realistic styles they've done.

Mmmh, I mean I have played and finished the FFIX HD thing on Steam... they upgraded the characters etc but. But they didn't do anything for the background (the scenes are nice as usual), but the characters are HD, and then you see the background is just a painful mess and I'm usually don't really care much for graphics in the first place. Just the contrast of the clean/very pixelated looks are what makes it kind of hard. (I finished it again, of course)

I just want them to upgrade the game though... the story's good, but I kind of want for some fixing along the ways or something? In the end I'm not even sure what I want :v Just want something along FF9's flavor, I guess.

Anti-Matter wrote:

@darkfenrir
The Remaster of FF IX has been released on IOs, Android and PS4.

And yes, I know this. Also, you forgot to add PC for the Remaster.

darkfenrir

Pungu

@ilikeike You're absolutely right in that there is a place for turn-based games. Especially since action games aren't always fun to play, like FFXV. I'm really looking forward to trying out DQ11 since I've been wondering what a big budget turn-based RPG would be like in the current gen.

@Inertiacreep Simple, money. FF7 Remake was always a trump card for Square Enix, along with Kingdom Hearts 3. As long as those two games were in the works, they could win back their fan base with ease, no matter how unpopular their decisions are.

Plus, don't you think it's great that they actually want to improve the combat system? The main flaw of the the combat is the lack of movement options during combat, which is a major issue in 3D games. Plus, the teaser showed multiple playable characters, so you can still use Tifa or Barret if you want.

Inertiacreep

@NotAceAttorney um wtf FF7 has one of the best combat systems they ever made and you're talking about they improved it? Right, cuz we all know how great this new team is at that. FF13 best combat system ever right? This has no chance of being an improvement.

Inertiacreep

Pungu

@Inertiacreep Square Enix has multiple teams you know. The combat system planners (Nomura is part of this) worked on Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia, so why the heck do you think it's going to be like FF13? So we know it's going to be a pretty solid action game, since KH2 is one of the best action RPGs from Japan.

They're keeping all the mechanics, like Materia and Limit Breaks, so it isn't as if they are spitting on the face of fans. And come on, FF7's combat system is great, but Square has done better, and can do better. Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross have really good combat systems, and were a result of them experimenting. I know the hardcore fans want the old ATB system, but a lot of new Final Fantasy fans would like to play something different. And the new fanbase is where the money is at.

Inertiacreep

@NotAceAttorney screw the new fan base.. if they kept the same battle system and essentially the same game with upgraded graphics people would hail it as one of the best FF ever... with the current design everyone is going to say it sucks compared to the original.... they don't have to re-invent the wheel to sell FF... it's going to sell off the name and new fans will buy it based off the hype.

Inertiacreep

Pungu

@Inertiacreep Well, there is the challenge for Square Enix. That's the issue with remakes. The spark of passion and inspiration that was FF7, may not exist. New director, new composer, new development team, new fans. It's a big risk. And the new fans are the ones keeping FF alive. So what if they weren't there since the 90s. They're still fans.

kkslider5552000

Ok, being completely honest, and as someone who grew up with VII more than any other game in the franchise (barring maybe FFTA), I absolutely DO want the battle system changed for the remake. Because this will never be made again, so I want these iconic battles and the like done from a different gameplay perspective. Because we will never play it in an action-y way, EVER, if they don't. Similarly, I've always wanted a traditional Mario platformer that goes through the areas/story etc of the original Paper Mario games.

Now whether that action-y gameplay will be GOOD, I don't know.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MarcelRguez

Having played it recently, the combat is easily the worst part of VII. You can't put out a non-retro game today with that kind of combat. Hell, even Square's retro RPGs like Bravely Default and Octopath stack more mechanics on top of that ATB combat. They know it's not good enough.

MarcelRguez

Inertiacreep

@NotAceAttorney ok, so you think if FF13 and 15 had turn based like 7-10 there wouldn't be a new fan base? I'm so sick of this notion that nobody wants to play turn based RPGs anymore.. it's not like Persona 5 was almost GOTY or anything.

Inertiacreep

MarcelRguez

@Inertiacreep There's a freaking abyss between Persona's combat and FFVII's, and I don't consider combat Persona's forte either.

MarcelRguez

Inertiacreep

@MarcelRguez i didn't say they were the same nor have i played Persona 5... but 2 questions. Is P5 turn based? Was P5 in the running for GOTY?

Inertiacreep

Anti-Matter

@MarcelRguez
Remember, ATB System was introduced from FF IV.
They were Classic yet Standard for Classic FF RPG.

Anti-Matter

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.