Forums

Topic: 2016 Nintendo Directs Discussion - September 1st 3DS Direct Confirmed!

Posts 281 to 300 of 1,779

Blast

midnafanboy wrote:

Blast wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

I'm pleased with the Direct. It announced a lot of new 3DS content and informed us of the system's lineup for the first half of 2015. Plenty of Wii U stuff too, as that system already had a lineup for the entire year minus release dates.

Blast The best part is that all of the 3DS games shown in the Direct minus Fire Emblem will be out before E3, meaning Nintendo will have to do this all over again for the 2nd half of the year! Time to piss off even more Wii U only owners

I have a 3DS....

Then why are you whining about the direct not having enough Wiiu titles?

I'm bothered because this might mean Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is truly dead. Jeez, I'm not upset at all.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

IceClimbers

Blast wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

I'm pleased with the Direct. It announced a lot of new 3DS content and informed us of the system's lineup for the first half of 2015. Plenty of Wii U stuff too, as that system already had a lineup for the entire year minus release dates.

@Blast The best part is that all of the 3DS games shown in the Direct minus Fire Emblem will be out before E3, meaning Nintendo will have to do this all over again for the 2nd half of the year! Time to piss off even more Wii U only owners

I have a 3DS....

I know that, but you've taken plenty of playful jabs towards 3DS-only owners on this thread. Come on, I can't do the same to Wii U-only owners?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Blast

IceClimbers wrote:

Blast wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

@Blast The best part is that all of the 3DS games shown in the Direct minus Fire Emblem will be out before E3, meaning Nintendo will have to do this all over again for the 2nd half of the year! Time to piss off even more Wii U only owners

I have a 3DS....

I know that, but you've taken plenty of playful jabs towards 3DS-only owners on this thread. Come on, I can't do the same to Wii U-only owners?

We're all Nintendo fans so I feel dumb for even throwing playful jabs at 3DS only users. Haha

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

MsJubilee

Blast wrote:

midnafanboy wrote:

Blast wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

Blast The best part is that all of the 3DS games shown in the Direct minus Fire Emblem will be out before E3, meaning Nintendo will have to do this all over again for the 2nd half of the year! Time to piss off even more Wii U only owners

I have a 3DS....

Then why are you whining about the direct not having enough Wiiu titles?

I'm bothered because this might mean Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is truly dead. Jeez, I'm not upset at all.

Who knows?That's what everyone said about Pokken Fighters,and now it's being made.All i'm saying we don't know it can be announced this year or at E3?Who knows?

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

LzWinky

It does seem more like an e3 title. Keep in mind it was announced fairly early in development, so it may be ready for this e3

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

IceClimbers

@TingLz Whoa, didn't recognize you at first. Will have to get used to the new avatar and username.

FlaygletheBagel

Posted this in the article itself, but I thought I'd express my opinion here too.

Color me unimpressed. Splatoon was nice to see, and even though I don't like the art style of Project Steam, it does look fairly interesting (I'm glad to see there's still some new IP coming out the doors of Nintendo from time to time, albeit much less often lately), but everything else was stuff we've already seen. Even the new Fire Emblem, which I'm sure will be an excellent game and on par with its predecessor, looks strikingly similar to Awakening. The New 3DS XL is far from "new", seeing as we've known about it for months, and it's disappointing that NoA didn't even bring over the regular size model. The swappable faceplates wouldve been a huge selling point for me.

I honestly just don't think Nintendo has many more tricks up their sleeves when it comes to these two pieces of hardware. The 3DS has just about exhausted Nintendo's franchises (it's seen the likes of Animal Crossing, 2D and 3D Mario, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Smash, Mario Kart, 2D and 3D Zelda, Pokémon, Starfox, Mario and Luigi, Donkey Kong, Paper Mario, Kirby, Yoshi, Xenoblade, pretty much everything but a new Metroid), and the Wii U has put out its big hitters too (Smash and Mario Kart). And while both of those are arguably the best and most polished entries in their respective franchises, neither of them sold the Wii U consoles Nintendo hoped they would. It doesn't help that most of Nintendo's remaining Wii U library is sequels to pre-existing franchises or entries in pre-established formulas:

Pikmin 3
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U
Mario Kart 8
Wind Waker HD
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Yoshi's Woolly World
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

I defy anyone to tell me they went out and bought these games (or plan to in the future) without knowing full well what they would be getting and how these games would play. That's because we've already seen them before. And yes, they may be the best entries in their franchises and definitely show unbelievably high polish, and I won't deny that some of the most fun experiences I've had in gaming this year involved playing Smash or Kart with friends. But that doesn't change how strikingly similar Nintendo's most recent entries are to their predecessors. I like what I'm seeing with Xenoblade X, Zelda, and Splatoon, but it's too early to make any judgment calls yet.

To clarify, I absolutely, undeniably LOVE Nintendo. They are by far my favorite brand. More than anything, I just want them to be a serious presence in the gaming industry again. While their games are all top notch, most of them are not anything new, and the Wii U's hardware, online infrastructure, marketing, and third party support are all severely lacking and tremendously disappointing. 2 years into the Wii U's life and we're just now getting our first cross-buy game. 2 years since the announcement of N64 games on their Virtual Console, and still no sign of those. Look, I don't care how many times Nintendo says they aren't competing with the likes of Microsoft and Sony. By virtue of making a dedicated home gaming console, they absolutely ARE competing in that field. They need to start getting games on their platform that aren't ports of old Wii and VC games, or just a handful of indie games (and yes, it is definitely a mere HANDFUL when compared to Sony's and MS's library), or the aforementioned pre-existing formulas.

I love you Nintendo, but I'm tired of coming to Nintendo Directs hoping to see you blow away the competition, and coming away with an overwhelming "meh."

Games I'm playing: Hotline Miami 2, Smash Wii U, GTA V, Dying Light, Resogun

Recently completed games: Hotline Miami, P.T., Shovel Knight

Games I want soon: Zelda U, The Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture

3DS Friend Code: 5429-7042-7857 | Nintendo Network ID: AmateurSalad8

MsJubilee

FlaygletheBagel wrote:

Posted this in the article itself, but I thought I'd express my opinion here too.
I love you Nintendo, but I'm tired of coming to Nintendo Directs hoping to see you blow away the competition, and coming away with an overwhelming "meh."

Just like many people you guys over hype these directs.Cause you make these expectations and when they don't become a reality you guys get disappointed and hate on the Big N.But the rest of your post i fully agree,except not this part.

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

kkslider5552000

I agree with some of your points but it's apparent you haven't the slightest clue on even obvious suggestions that could potentially help with those issues.

I honestly feel like a lot of my big complaints with Nintendo the past few years are gone. I mean Zelda-aside, their biggest game this year is a new IP that innovates a genre they've not really done much with but is super popular and the direct ended with another new IP, a 3rd party game and Majora's Mask. And they're letting a Japanese mobile developer make a Mario game and including a second game just to make it more popular in America. The times they are a changing.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I honestly feel like a lot of my big complaints with Nintendo the past few years are gone. I mean Zelda-aside, their biggest game this year is a new IP that innovates a genre they've not really done much with but is super popular and the direct ended with another new IP, a 3rd party game and Majora's Mask. And they're letting a Japanese mobile developer make a Mario game and including a second game just to make it more popular in America. The times they are a changing.

This year is pretty good about that yeah, but in general he's pretty right. Most of the big IPs aren't doing anything interesting, it's just same old, same old.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

FlaygletheBagel

midnafanboy wrote:

Just like many people you guys over hype these directs.Cause you make these expectations and when they don't become a reality you guys get disappointed and hate on the Big N.

Believe me, I tempered my expectations for the Direct. I've been tempering them for a long time now. For years, even. I didn't come into this one expecting anything different. The reason I wrote that post was because I don't think it should be that way. Why are we supposed to go into every Nintendo event expecting "meh?" That's why we all thought E3 last year was so surprising. It was the first time in a long time Nintendo showed drive and really kicked some ass. I just want to cheer alongside Nintendo, not feel like I have to constantly defend their bizarre decisions. They don't have to be driving themselves forward full-force all the time, but I'd like to see them push forward more than they are now.

Games I'm playing: Hotline Miami 2, Smash Wii U, GTA V, Dying Light, Resogun

Recently completed games: Hotline Miami, P.T., Shovel Knight

Games I want soon: Zelda U, The Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture

3DS Friend Code: 5429-7042-7857 | Nintendo Network ID: AmateurSalad8

kkslider5552000

Bolt_Strike wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

This year is pretty good about that yeah, but in general he's pretty right. Most of the big IPs aren't doing anything interesting, it's just same old, same old.

Then stop buying sequels. Which you won't.

Like I've complained as much as anyone about recent Mario titles, but Smash Bros, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda etc. change things much about as much as literally any other game company's sequels (honestly the difference between recent Zelda games has been like day and night at points). I would actually like to know what video game company is innovating lately by your standards.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

KryptoniteKrunch

Awesome Direct overall. Codename STEAM and Splatoon are two new IPs that I hope take off because both games look incredibly fun. n3DS special editions look really slick. Hopefully I can snag the MM one.

Oh and lol @ people complaining about this Direct focusing more on 3DS software than Wii U. Most of this forum was saying that the 3DS needs more games this year and now you're whining that this was a more 3DS focused Direct?!? >__>

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

LzWinky

Okay. Let's ask Sega how to make games right. Oh right, that's why Sonic failed in comparison to the "same old"

Anywho, new ideas are not automatically good, and I am not sure why so many seem to be under this impression. Yes, I understand that ideas can become stale, but not after 1-2 games.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Then stop buying sequels. Which you won't.

I have actually.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Like I've complained as much as anyone about recent Mario titles, but Smash Bros, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda etc. change things much about as much as literally any other game company's sequels (honestly the difference between recent Zelda games has been like day and night at points). I would actually like to know what video game company is innovating lately by your standards.

None of them, and that's the problem. If you're looking for good examples though, many of Nintendo's 5th, 6th, and early 7th gen games (before 2010ish) did do new things with existing IPs.

TingLz wrote:

Okay. Let's ask Sega how to make games right. Oh right, that's why Sonic failed in comparison to the "same old"

Anywho, new ideas are not automatically good, and I am not sure why so many seem to be under this impression.

Nintendo isn't as idiotic as Sega is, so they're much better at adding new ideas without ruining the gameplay.

TingLz wrote:

Yes, I understand that ideas can become stale, but not after 1-2 games.

They kinda do. If they just add in new levels it begins to feel like a chore. Adding in a new concept or gameplay mechanic mixes things up and keeps things fun.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

WebHead

Kind of hoping there's gonna be a big 3DS direct in April to cover the second half of 2015 for 3DS so E3 can primarily focus on Wii U. Sorta like in 2013.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

cookiex

I wonder what the results meeting being delayed to February 17th means for a Direct happening this month or not. It would be the first time since ND was introduced that they've skipped February.

(And yes I mean a proper traditional Direct unlike the Xenoblade presentation this week)

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Spoony_Tech

I still say the Health of Iwata had a lot to do with the lack of directs last year. I think at the very least we may get one every 2 months or hoping for closer to every 6 weeks.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

VanillaLake

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I still say the Health of Iwata had a lot to do with the lack of directs last year. I think at the very least we may get one every 2 months or hoping for closer to every 6 weeks.

Why can't Bill Trinen or ANYONE dub Mr Iwata, please?!

Edited on by VanillaLake

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

IceClimbers

Bumping thread.

Edit: Updated the thread title for March Direct predictions

Edited on by IceClimbers

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.