Forums

Topic: Nintendolife's over reliance on JavaScript.

Posts 1 to 9 of 9

JustAnotherUser

I have noticed that Nintendolife has an over reliance on JavaScript (at least that's how I feel).
Is it really necessary to have JavaScript to display comment avatars or is it just a bug?

JustAnotherUser

antdickens

TwilightPoint,

Generally 99% of users have JavaScript enabled so we would like to make use of it. We introduced "lazyload" on avatars recently that only display avatars when they appear on screen, this saves your browser from downloading potentially 100s of avatars until you actually look at them. We have many articles that have 100, 200, even 500+ comments and therefore that's alot of avatars to load that you might not even look at.

We're still trialling it at the moment, so further changes might still be made

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

theblackdragon

@Ant: to be honest, it was never a problem for me before, not even on this tiny netbook of mine, and now between the Live Comment system and the avatar thing, it's absolute hell for me to attempt to scroll through a lengthy comment thread now. If it's easier on the servers, that's one thing and I'll deal with it without complaint, but if it's supposed to be easier on me, it's kinda not

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

theblackdragon

yes, it's incredibly laggy. half the time i wind up overscrolling on accident, and then i have to fight to get the screen focused on where it needs to be again.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Happy_Mask

Same here, but that's probably because I use an IPad. :3. But on the rare occasion I use my Computer, it does seem a tad laggy.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

JustAnotherUser

I see.
Ok, that's fine and makes sense.
I should really add another exception for NintendoLife.
Sorry if I caused any trouble.

Edited on by JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser

SMEXIZELDAMAN

The "lazyload" thing looks cool. I love scrolling through a list of noobs and watching them turn into real avatars

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Happy_Mask

I can't read articles anymore on my I pad, just the forums. When I load an article, my screen just blacks out. D: Not sure if this is my I-pad stressing to me that this is just too much or what.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.