Forums

Topic: NintendoLife profiles accesible through Google - How to make them private?

Posts 1 to 5 of 5

LostHeaven

A friend of mine told me she googled my name and, to my disbelief, it seems one of the results was my NintendoLife profile page. I tried it myself and found out the profiles do show up when searched in Google.

How can I correct my profile's privacy settings so it doesn't show up on search engines?

Thank you

Edited on by LostHeaven

My collection: people.ign.com/realinho/games
Xbox Live: Realinho | Apple Game Center: Realinho | Steam: Realinho

3DS Friend Code: 4382-2401-9157 | Nintendo Network ID: Realinho | Twitter:

edhe

Change your username?

Otherwise, I don't think you are able to do anything about it.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Vincent294

Realinho wrote:

A friend of mine told me she googled my name and, to my disbelief, it seems one of the results was my NintendoLife profile page. I tried it myself and found out the profiles do show up when searched in Google.

How can I correct my profile's privacy settings so it doesn't show up on search engines?

Thank you,
Realinho

The reason is it closely matches what was searched on Google, and unfortunately, unless NLife contacts Google, they have no control over it. I mean, Google searches for the most relevant sites imaginable, and that's what's relevant. This is all up to the search providers. Of course, maybe NLife could contact Google, though that might be overkill.

Vincent294

My Nintendo: Vincent294 | Nintendo Network ID: Vincent294

theblackdragon

A good rule of thumb is that if you don't want it to be found via Google, don't post it online. I'm afraid our profiles (not everything visible on the 'Edit Profile' page like your e-mail address or the 'real name' field, but your viewable public profile) are public information. If your real name is not anywhere in your signature or profile, Google auto-updates their searches every so often, so that hit for your real name should go away in a month or three provided you haven't used it anyplace else here at Nintendo Life (our forums and site are all publicly viewable).

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Hardy83

Good looks for the most relevant site for the words or terms used in the search.

Google will look at all sites they are able to look at, that include site forums.
If someone specifically puts your username in it, and it's not something generic like monkey, you're profile will most likely show up.
And Nintendolife being at the top either means you only use this username on this site, or Nintendolifes site is very efficient at loading. Or search engine optimization.

The only way for this not to happen is if Nintendolife asks Google to have their site de-listed from their search, which, as a site dependant on ads to make revenue, will never happen.
So your out of luck. You're profile will always be searchable. The only way to avoid this is to not post of forums, any forums. Ever.

Hardy83

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.