Forums

Topic: DS sound now only works with headphones

Posts 1 to 7 of 7

deadly_by_design

I've had my DS for about 10 months, and it's been great so far. Like the title says, its sound no longer plays audibly. What you hear through headphones sounds just fine, but that's the only way you're going to hear it. Has this happened to anyone else?

I tried to think back to anything unusual that may have happened. The only thing I can think of is from last weekend. I was visiting my parents' house, and used my mother's iPod Touch earbuds in my DS. Later that day, I had the sound down, so I didn't notice. Played a game of Mario Kart DS w/ my nephew, and that's it. The next time I booted up the DS, probably 2-3 days later, I confirmed the sound issue. (and recalled that I probably had no sound during the Kart session, in retrospect)

Thoughts?

deadly_by_design

theblackdragon

did you break off part of your headphone connector inside the hole or something? there could be a bit of metal down inside there that the system senses as a pair of headphones and is sending signals to... the DSi won't play audible sound when (it thinks) there are headphones connected.

in fact, i just tested this theory with a piece of tin foil... the DSi's speakers stopped playing while the foil was inserted.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

bboy2970

this same thing happened to my Game Boy Color many years ago. What theblackdragon said sounds logical though.

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970

theblackdragon

eh, i'd at least try and shine a light down in there before sending it in for repair.

BEST THREAD EVER

FATEM

That happened to my DS a couple of years ago.Nothing in the headphone port, volume was up but there was no sound. I just ignored it and about a month later the sound came back. But that was on a DS Phat so it may not have any relevence.

FATEM

deadly_by_design

If it's possible that some metal rubbing off inside could do that, rather than a piece physically dislodging, it might be the case.

/edit/
Problem solved. I "plunged" the jack by using a 3rd, different pair of headphones. It seems to have removed whatever was confusing the DS.

Edited on by deadly_by_design

deadly_by_design

theblackdragon

@deadly.by.design: i've actually had headphones that did have metal rub off from the jack... it was way back when I was little, though, and they were really cheap headphones. that's why i thought of it. glad you got it working again.

BEST THREAD EVER

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.