Forums

Topic: Don't have WEP for WiFi connection

Posts 1 to 13 of 13

DigitalDreams

Last Autumn I put a deposit down on the Animal Crossing 3d. Well, the release date is again moved (I'm sure for the better) which is why I bought a used Animal Crossing Wild World. Good thing too because it seems I cannot get a WiFi connection with my router so my character can travel. Can't get my ID either. Glad to find this out now because I can return a used game but a new one.....

**For Internet surfing, my 3ds is fine with the WPA key. But not the WiFi connect. I am posting this to find out if in the near future, will there be a download to make the Nintendo 3ds compatable with WPA? **

My router is a d-Link Wireless 300 DIR 615. The specs are on: ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DIR-615/DIR-615_ds.pdf . I believe I am reading the spec sheet correctly - no WEP, only WPA.

I am rather surprised that this system is not WPA compatible since:
1. the WPA has been out for some time now (and is much, much more secure than WEP),
2. Nintendo dc'd the USB connector, and
3. the 3DS is considered to be "new" technology.

(scratches head)

Helpful insight is appreciated

Edited on by DigitalDreams

DigitalDreams

Aviator

DS games cannot do anything above WEP I' pretty sure.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

NintenDude97

The 3DS itself is compatible with WPA security (when it's in 3DS mode), but when running a DS game (in DS mode) it's not able to connect to a router with WPA security.
There probably won't be an update to make DS games compatible with WPA, cuz DS games were only designed to connect through WEP. idk what you can do except buy a new router.
Hope that helped.

DigitalDreams

Thank you. My main problem is getting my 3DS to have a WiFi connection. I even tried the connectivity resource, "My WiFi Technology", on my 7 mo old Asus gamers 18.5" laptop. Didn't help. : (

Is there a tech head out there that could review the specs of my router (shown in my first post as URL) and help me with connecting my Nintendo DS Connection WiFi?

Without connection, there isn't any sense in buying any games that require WiFi which would pretty much render my Nintendo 3DS as useless to me. Paying the initial $300 or so would be a waste. Yep, I bought it before the price drop for my aging father to have something to do. I have inherited it and have really grown to like it. I have a Nintendo Wii, Xbox, Playstation, and play a popular online pc game. Also still own all but the Cube of the Nintendo consols and the games I have enjoyed with each.

Being computer literate, I have built pc's and found solutions to many problems personal pc's can shoot at me. My printer, three pc's, and two laptops are connected by hardwire and wireless to my router. Only my Asus laptop is on at any given time so crossover interference shouldn't be a problem with connecting my 3Ds.

This little blue box (my 3DS) has me stumped. lol

DigitalDreams

BenAV

You should be able to just go into the settings, enter your Internet password and everything to do with the 3DS should work absolutely fine online.
You've already mentioned that browsing the Internet works, so that's a good sign.
Have you tried playing any 3DS games online (such as Mario Kart 7 or Kid Icarus: Uprising) or have you tried accessing the eShop or anything like that?

Animal Crossing: Wild World will not work through WPA due to it being a DS game and the DS was not compatible with WPA, but any 3DS games or apps should work perfectly fine.
Do you have the blue Internet bars on the top left hand corner of the top screen when you're on the home menu?

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Sean_Aaron

The DSi and variants work with WPA, but as others have said DS games that support WiFi have catered to the original DS limitations, so in my case I simply don't partake as I'm not willing to downgrade my WiFi security for the sake of a game. I'd say it's a bit goofy that the games have their own WiFi code rather than somehow patching into the system, but I suspect the DS was much like the Wii in that the game carts actually have their own separate boot code rather than being loaded by a OS on the device itself.

Personally I'd wait for a 3DS Animal Crossing game (if one doesn't already exist - not a series I follow) which should work fine with your WiFi setup.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

ImDiggerDan

If you really want to play DS games online, you could turn your encryption on your router off. You will probably still be able to secure your connection using MAC filtering.

This lets you list which devices you allow to connect to the router by entering their unique MAC addresses. It can be a pain to set up, especially if you have a lot of devices and don't know how to find their MAC codes, but it should work.

Director of Four Horses. Developer of Digger Dan games.
On sale on the Nintendo 3DS eShop from 19th May 2016.
www.fourhorses.co.uk

Twitter:

Wheels2050

I ended up buying a cheap ($13) USB wifi adapter that sets up a WEP access point purely for my DS. That way I can play DS games online without having to mess with my router and interrupt other people using it, and just unplug it from my PC when finished.

If you can shop online, I'd recommend getting something similar.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

abek809

Wheels2050 wrote:

I ended up buying a cheap ($13) USB wifi adapter that sets up a WEP access point purely for my DS. That way I can play DS games online without having to mess with my router and interrupt other people using it, and just unplug it from my PC when finished.

If you can shop online, I'd recommend getting something similar.

yo i just googled this problem and your answer came up, i dont know if you can private message people on this website, but i just want to know what the name of the wifi adapter you got was because im having the same problem with my animal crossing ds game on the 3ds and i cant mess around with my router. please please please get back to me, thank you!!

abek809

FOREST_RANGER

@abek809 You should realize that you are replying to a post from several months ago. Other than that, welcome to the NintendoLife forums!

EDIT: and while I don't have an answer, good luck on getting help!

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

Gamepro

You can also set up a wi-fi hotspot on your smarthphone.
EDIT: rtfm!

Edited on by Gamepro

Gmail: [email protected]
3DS name: Gamepro.

3DS Friend Code: 4785-4228-5487

PhotoJim

Gamepro wrote:

You can also set up a wi-fi hotspot on your smarthphone.
EDIT: rtfm!

But rarely a WEP one. WEP is deprecated because it can be broken and infiltrated in only two or three minutes.

PhotoJim

Nintendo Network ID: PhotoJim

theblackdragon

If you can't change your router settings, you can always use the Nintendo WFC USB dongle on your computer to set up a NDS-accessible hotspot — the official ones are very rare now since they were discontinued, but you can pick up chinese knockoffs from eBay if you're interested.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.