Forums

Topic: Will 2010 end up being one of the best years for gaming ever?

Posts 1 to 20 of 27

Mabbit

so far, were almost 11 months into 2010 and so far, its been a pretty darn good year for gaming. Super Mario Galaxy 2 stands out as having the highest meta score of all the games this year, but games such as Red Dead Redemption, Halo: Reach, Starcraft II, and cave story also getting really high scores as well. then theres games that reinvent themselves or shift our view on the medium as a whole, such as Metroid: Other M, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Rock Band 3 (with its new guitar with 120 buttons), and Limbo. finally, theres the games that finally get the reboot they deserved and sometimes even invoke nostalgia like Sin and Punishment 2, Super Street Fighter IV, Donkey Kong Returns, and Goldeneye 007. Some of the biggest innovations to shock the industry arent even games, with new adaptions like Kinect, Move, and even OnLive for the consoles.

So far, i think that 2010 has been an excellent year for gaming, and it may just get into the hall of fame for all its great games, but what do you guys think, will people be remembering 2010 in the next 10 years or will it just be remembered as the year "when those miners got stuck"

Heisenberg says "relax!"
The user formerly known as briunj04
PSN=mabbit04/Summoner name(LoL)=briunj04

SuperMarioFan96

Well, I'd say it's definetely the Wii's best year, but idk about everything else or the "ever" statement.

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

Supermarioman

Yeah, this has been a really great year overall, you have forgotten to mention a lot though, games like Disney's Epic Mickey, Fallout: New Vegas, Monster Hunter 3, NBA Jam's triumphant return, Platinum Games in general, God of War 3, and especially LBP 2 are all large titles, all of which so far released are highly rated, 2010 is fighting 2007 for best year for gaming.

Supermarioman

SuperMarioFan96

LBP 2 isn't out until 2011 now.

I think you guys are focusing too much on the Wii. It's a GREAT year for the Wii but maybe other consoles have seen better years. Or, consoles from past generations have seen better years. Just my thoughts, but it is a great year for the Wii.

My Backloggery

Noire

We're getting Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

Hell. To the. Yes.

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

Mabbit

Supermarioman wrote:

Yeah, this has been a really great year overall, you have forgotten to mention a lot though, games like Disney's Epic Mickey, Fallout: New Vegas, Monster Hunter 3, NBA Jam's triumphant return, Platinum Games in general, God of War 3, and especially LBP 2 are all large titles, all of which so far released are highly rated, 2010 is fighting 2007 for best year for gaming.

i wouldve listed them, but that wouldve just made the post into a big list of games that came out his year. but i can if you want me to:

BlazBlue Continuum Shift, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, CoD: Black Ops, Skate 3, Madden 11, Dragon Quest IX, Sonic 4, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Red Steel 2, Bayonetta, No More Heroes 2, Just Cause 2, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, Super Scribblenauts, Shantae, (I would say Final Fantasy XIV, but it suuuuuucks!) Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Joe Danger, Trauma Team, The Art of Balance, Super Meat Boy, Lost in Shadow, WoW: Cataclysm, Bit. Trip. Runner, Castle Crashers (for PS3), Enslaved.

yeah, thats all i can think of

Heisenberg says "relax!"
The user formerly known as briunj04
PSN=mabbit04/Summoner name(LoL)=briunj04

SuperMarioFan96

briunj04 wrote:

Bit. Trip. Runner

And after tomorrow Bit.Trip FATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, maybe this is gaming's greatest year ever!

My Backloggery

ReddLionz

Yep. Good year. Very good year. Yep.
but i kinda agree with SMF because other consoles have had better years but we dont know completely because some of the highest-hyped games are yet to be released like Goldeneye, Black Ops, Gran Turismo, and Donkey Kong.

Edit: Bit Trip Fate is tommorow! w00t!

Edited on by ReddLionz

"Just do It" -Nike
GAMECENTER ID: ReddLionz --- Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 2535-5186-6845--Mario Kart Wii: 2277-7632-9262---Excitebots: 2665-2900-1186---Excitebike World Rally: 5242-1980-4163---Wii Number: 8286-0065-1295-5374

NintendoWorld1

If you include Super Mario All Stars then you're so right...

NintendoWorld1

BedCommando

Best year? Well let's see.

• Truly a year of new IPs that would last us a lifespan of great games, here we go! Castlevania, Contra, Double Dragon, Mega Man, Metroid, Punch Out!, The Legend of Zelda,
    1991*
  • Debut of the SNES, which is arguably the greatest console ever made due it's powerful library, and strong release with titles like Super Mario World, F-Zero, and Final Fantasy IV
  • Sega brought in Sonic with his blast processing to compete with the SNES
  • Love it or hate it, Tecmo Super Bowl came out and started the football craze that Madden beats like a dead horse to this very day.
  • One word...BATTLETOADS
  • You ask a fan of fighting games what their first fighter was, and you'll get Street Fighter II
    1992*
  • FPS may not have been born here, but it was nutured and refined so well you couldn't tell the difference with the release of Wolfenstein 3D.
  • Huge comeback, and one of the contenders for best game ever, Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past came out, and cemented Zelda as a series that will always improve and provide nothing sub-par of amazing.
  • Turning the racing genre on it's head, Super Mario Kart was released.
  • On the Sega side of things, Sonic 2 came out. With the introduction of Tails, and some of the best speed-platforming, it's no wonder why everyone favours this one.
  • Also, the RTS genre was born with Dune II on PC
  • Finally, 1992 was the time when most of us saw our first FATALITY with the debut of Mortal Kombat, and because of this, the birth of the ESRB.
    1997*
  • Goldeneye was released and finally proved that a console shooter can indeed outperform a PC shooter with it's introduction of headshots, and 4 player splitscreen.
  • As much as I hate this game, but FInal Fantasy VII also came out, which appearently is a big deal to alot of gamers.
  • The first of many "Metroidvania" was released with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Adapting alot of the core mechanics from Metroid, and blending it with the atmosphere of Castlevania, it took platforming to a whole new, darker level.
  • Original Fallout was also released, which was huge for PC gamers.
  • Honorable mentions go to Oddworld and Mario Kart 64
    1998*
    -Ever heard of a perfect game? If not, this year spawned some of the biggest candidates, let's do a quick rundown.
    Banjo-Kazooie, Grim Fandango, Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid, and of course, what can be said as the Holy Grail of gaming, The Ocarina of Time.
    1999*
    -Super Smash Bros completly turning the fighting genre on its' head.
    -The Dreamcast bringing in real online play.
    -Konami bringing in a whole new take on Horror with Silent Hill
    -Tony Hawks' Pro Skater also came out, and everyone of us loved it, you cannot deny.
    -Unreal Tournament also came out that year, and while it didn't have the effect UT2k4 would have, 2k4 wouldn't be here without the first.
  • MMORPG genre made it's debut with Everquest.

Edited on by BedCommando

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (OnLive)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)

Punny

In my eyes, this year was fantastic for video games, particularly Nintendo. E3, anyone?

I'm back (for the moment)!

SMEXIZELDAMAN

No it won't 3DS comes out NEXT year

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

irken004

I wouldn't say the BEST year ever... the DS didn't have as many good games this year. DSiware and Wiiware pretty much sucked most of the year so far. There have been quite a few good Wii games though, and Nintendo practically won E3.

CanisWolfred

Best year for gaming? No. Best year for the Wii, most likely, but I certainly hope it isn't.

PunnyGuy wrote:

In my eyes, this year was fantastic for video games, particularly Nintendo. E3, anyone?

It still isn't as good as E3 of 2004 or 2005. Now those were events to behold. Loads of great game announcements, particularly on the Gamecube, and many of them turned out to be as good as people had hoped. Ah, those were the days...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RandomApple7

I think its been a great year for gaming ( exept for the DS and PS3 )

RandomApple7

TKOWL

RandomApple7 wrote:

What are you talking about? We got two of the greatest DS titles (Warioware DIY and Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver) this year!

Backloggery | Art Blog

Nintendo Network ID: Ryanknight-TKOWL | Twitter:

RandomApple7

Dragoon wrote:

RandomApple7 wrote:

What are you talking about? We got two of the greatest DS titles (Warioware DIY and Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver) this year!

Yeah those were great games but pokemon seemed easy and like it lacked something.

RandomApple7

CanisWolfred

Dragoon wrote:

RandomApple7 wrote:

Yeah, the DS had as many great games released as it's had for the last couple of years. The PS3 has actually had more great games released than it's had in a while. I'd say there's no loss there. No console is really hurting for great games right now, asside from MOVE and Kinetic.

RandomApple7 wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

RandomApple7 wrote:

Yeah those were great games but pokemon seemed easy and like it lacked something.

Pokemon is always easy and what it lacks is innovation (although in this case, it's a remake so it wouldn't have made sense!)

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.