Forums

Topic: Why the hiatus in 007 games?

Posts 1 to 6 of 6

Don

Does anyone know why no 007 games were released in the past few years? Is it due to poor sales of last few 007 titles or Activision or EA lost rights to the franchise?

Don

Tasuki

It's because when it comes to 007 games people are to nostalgia for GoldenEye on N64. That game raised the bar really high for 007 games. As a result the last few games got really bad reviews which equaled to poor sales.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

They probably should have kept with the Call of Duty style of gameplay the Goldeneye remake used.

That one was liked well enough (even though it obviously wasn't as popular as the original), so more games of that style couldn't have hurt. Light puzzles with the gadgets, and the option to play through the levels more inconspicuously in addition to guns blazing should have been enough to set it apart from CoD.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tasuki

@RR529 IIRC, the problem with the GoldenEye remake was that it launched around the same time as Black Ops did. Most people who bought GoldenEye then we're people who were nostalgia for the N64 version, where as CoD fans skipped it and just went with Black Ops then.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

kkslider5552000

Goldeneye Wii was a very underrated multiplayer game so I am sad they didn't properly follow up on that. I'm probably the only one, but I kinda wished they remade The World is Not Enough next (which I have more nostalgia for).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ryu_Niiyama

I think that 007 games are sort of two hit wonders as licensed games. Goldeneye was a hit of course but the rest of the n64 games didn't draw as much buzz. The gamecube era games were great but most of them ditched a known Bond except From Russia with Love and Everything or Nothing (my favorite bond game) and then you get the Daniel Craig and the remakes (legends and goldeneye) and I think by then people had other better games to play an not enough attachment to Bond to play them anyway. So until they can come up with that special blend or are willing to put a fake bond back at the helm there will be no 007 games for a while.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.