General Discussion Forum

Topic: Why?

Showing 1 to 20 of 28

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Danny_August

1. Posted:

One thing that I don't quite understand is the majority of the players that post online seem to have a negative outlook. There are many naysayers and it is rather disheartening. I almost wince when I scout information from most media online. The sources tear down Nintendo and their products. Comments lead to the same conclusion. I make my way to a site entitled NintendoLife.com and I see the same down stride in attitudes. Why can't they do this? Why can't they do that? I recall as a child the Atari 2600 and the countless hours I played it. I had this console late in it's life right before the Nintendo Entertainment System was released. I don't recall much naysaying in those days. With the NES, I played for hours on Super Mario Bros before I even moved onto a new title. I have always looked forward to new titles but I would never say that I "expect" as much I see today. Another post, the poster complained about DSiWare and why there is not an abundance of titles. Why can't we just be happy we have the DSi? I know I am! I don't naysay NIntendo for a lack of titles, I more over yearn and wait in anticipation for what is to come on the DSi. I have had my Wii since the dawn of WiiWare and I have seen where it has taken us. Just relish in the though of what will happen with DSi! That is about all...Thanks for listening...

Direct quote: Bork, Bork, Bork

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CowLaunch

2. Posted:

Aye, those are fair points. Many of us on here do seem to think that Nintendo have some sort of feudal obligation to entertain us.

CowLaunch

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

3. Posted:

Why can't we be happy that we have the DSi? Well, I can answer that only for myself, but that's because it offers nothing special and isn't worth the higher price. Nintendo has begun catering more to a different audience, so it shouldn't be unexpected that long-time fans are a bit disappointed sometimes -- though not all the time -- even if you aren't among them.

Perhaps the negativity is generally exaggerated, but you should expect that on any website. That is just how the internet works. Those who are upset are the ones most likely to be incited to speak up and speak loudly. Generally if something pleases me, I'll say at the most, "Yay!" and/or "This looks fun." But if something is disappointing, I like to explain myself. Maybe that seems like bad logic, and maybe it is, but if I am enjoying a game, I tend to play it more than talk about it. :)

I don't think this site is particularly negative though. I'm pretty happy with my Wii, and while I have no interest in the DSi, I'm also not upset about it because I don't play handheld games much.

CowLaunch wrote:

Aye, those are fair points. Many of us on here do seem to think that Nintendo have some sort of feudal obligation to entertain us.

Well, they are an entertainment company. Maybe they aren't "feudally obligated," but it is their job to make entertaining products. It's not outrageous to share one's disappointment when one of their products doesn't live up to our expectations. People would do the same for movies, music, books, etc.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

4. Posted:

Danny+August wrote:

One thing that I don't quite understand is the majority of the players that post online seem to have a negative outlook.

when you realize that the people happy with what they've got are busy playing what they've got, it starts to make more sense. :)

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stevie

5. Posted:

I would agree with your point to a certain extent for a lot of sites, but this just seems to be a problem with the Internet in general, you look at any video on youtube, new music/film release and the comments are full of people who seem to have nothing better to do than moan and complain, usually in a very nonconstructive way.

However i have been visiting this site for about a year now + usually don't sign up to a site to post comments etc, but i did decide to about a month or so ago just for the reason that most articles/comments on this site are positive, or if they are negative its usually in a constructive way and leads to debate about how said problem could be solved without trolling/brash statements etc

In summary there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism and discussion in a forum, that is what they are there for.

This is good

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CowLaunch

6. Posted:

__adam wrote:

Why can't we be happy that we have the DSi? Well, I can answer that only for myself, but that's because it offers nothing special and isn't worth the higher price. Nintendo has begun catering more to a different audience, so it shouldn't be unexpected that long-time fans are a bit disappointed sometimes -- though not all the time -- even if you aren't among them.

Perhaps the negativity is generally exaggerated, but you should expect that on any website. That is just how the internet works. Those who are upset are the ones most likely to be incited to speak up and speak loudly. Generally if something pleases me, I'll say at the most, "Yay!" and/or "This looks fun." But if something is disappointing, I like to explain myself. Maybe that seems like bad logic, and maybe it is, but if I am enjoying a game, I tend to play it more than talk about it. :)

I don't think this site is particularly negative though. I'm pretty happy with my Wii, and while I have no interest in the DSi, I'm also not upset about it because I don't play handheld games much.

CowLaunch wrote:

Aye, those are fair points. Many of us on here do seem to think that Nintendo have some sort of feudal obligation to entertain us.

Well, they are an entertainment company. Maybe they aren't "feudally obligated," but it is their job to make entertaining products. It's not outrageous to share one's disappointment when one of their products doesn't live up to our expectations. People would do the same for movies, music, books, etc.

True, but such disappointment can express itself in the market, if people don't think the DSi is providing enough they won't buy it. A lot of people seem to feel a sense of entitlement, especially where the Virtual Console is concerned. I'm not having a dig at anyone, I get just as annoyed that Super Mario Kart isn't out yet. I just thought that Danny August's point of view was refreshing and I tried to express this in a self-deprecating manner. Of course you are right when you say that people who are enjoying their games all the time are naturally under represented on forums. This site is generally good fun I think, and there are quite a few threads focusing on what the best games are, but the internet can't be a bunch of people shouting 'Hooray!'

CowLaunch

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stevie

7. Posted:

Completly off topic, but while I'm in rant mode can i just say i HATE the over-use of the following words on the tinterweb

1.EPIC
2.FAIL
3.WIN
4.OWNED/PWNED
5.ANY COMBO OF THE ABOVE

Makes my blood boil

This is good

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

8. Posted:

I'll be honest with you, Danny, and say that I REALLY don't think most people who post here have a negative outlook. Some of them do, yes, but it's just a vocal minority. The rest of us are pretty big fans and are relatively forgiving of the Big N.

PS--you've got one of my favorite avatars here!

Edited on by Philip_J_Reed

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

9. Posted:

CowLaunch wrote:

True, but such disappointment can express itself in the market, if people don't think the DSi is providing enough they won't buy it. A lot of people seem to feel a sense of entitlement, especially where the Virtual Console is concerned.

Well, disappointment should express itself in market. That's basic supply and demand. If we don't like what they offer, we shouldn't buy it until they offer something that is in demand... Though a few years ago I might have, I'm not going to buy a DSi now just because Nintendo made it. I don't think it provides enough, and that seems like the perfect reason not to buy it.

And yes, I do feel a sense of entitlement, not that Nintendo should do anything I ask them to (well, really, they should, but that's because I'm special ;)), but that they should deliver what they promise. I'm still upset that Earthbound was the first VC game announced years ago, and now looks like it'll never come out. I think I'm entitled to that, but if anyone disagrees, I am just expressing my view, and you can, too. I am of the opinion that you can end the most negative post possible with a smiley and it should be read with a positive tone of voice. :)

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CowLaunch

10. Posted:

__adam wrote:

Well, disappointment should express itself in market. That's basic supply and demand. If we don't like what they offer, we shouldn't buy it until they offer something that is in demand... Though a few years ago I might have, I'm not going to buy a DSi now just because Nintendo made it. I don't think it provides enough, and that seems like the perfect reason not to buy it.

That's basically what I was saying.

Just out of curiosity, is there a smiley that conveys sarcasm? I'm pretty new to this internet forum stuff, and one of the biggest drawbacks seems to me that you can't always express the tone of voice you that intended.

P.S. I think everyone on this site is special.

Edited on by CowLaunch

CowLaunch

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stevie

11. Posted:

CowLaunch wrote:

P.S. I think everyone on this site is special.

Is that sarcasm I detect :-)

Edited on by Stevie

This is good

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

12. Posted:

@ Stevie
Haha

@Cowlauncher
No smiley that I know of. I suppose you could use Mr. Winky or Mr. Toungy. ;) :P
I'm pretty bad at recognizing "tone of voice," too, as you can tell. I don't know how I could have thought you were being serious there... How embarrassing!

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MarkyVigoroth

13. Posted:

I play what I like. Things are as simple as that.

(However, Nintendo should beef up their European/North American VC releases...)

..."Twilight"? I'd rather read "My Immortal."

Credits: http://fav.me/d2gq0yf <- NOT my stamp

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sean_Aaron

14. Posted:

I don't sense much negativity here at all. Try reading any of the comments in pretty much any Wii thread on Eurogamer -- even if it's a good game review the trolls are still in force. The Wii discussion board on the forum is so bad there that someone created an invite-only Wii Discussion Group so new game titles could be discussed without becoming a troll fest.

Nintendo Life: you've never had it so good!

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bones00

15. Posted:

I'm digging this site's forums much more than gamefaqs since you're taking more seriously and not given all these negative responses that I'm used to receiving there.

3DS FC: 3136 6642 8964. 
Twitter, PSN, Steam, Game Center IDs: Bones00

Twitter: Bones00

AuthorMessage
Avatar

jpfan1989

16. Posted:

You are positive and content with what your given.... I like you

3DS:: 1805 2437 5220
Nintendo Network ID PhoenixFalconer
Skype:: Legarto_the_green

AuthorMessage
Avatar

zane

17. Posted:

__Stevie wrote:

Completly off topic, but while I'm in rant mode can i just say i HATE the over-use of the following words on the tinterweb

1.EPIC
2.FAIL
3.WIN
4.OWNED/PWNED
5.ANY COMBO OF THE ABOVE

Makes my blood boil

What about the worst of the worst? -FIRST!!! Bleurgh :(

Old Nintendofan from up north...

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Omega

18. Posted:

Danny August wrote:

One thing that I don't quite understand is the majority of the players that post online seem to have a negative outlook. There are many naysayers and it is rather disheartening.

I do not really agree with that. I even think that the opposite is true. At least for WiiWare and VC-Reviews I have noticed, that whenever a new game comes out or is announced there are (too) many who say things like "I want this.", "I buy this as soon as possible.", "I'll get this.", etc. This almost borders on fanboy talk. I'm really glad that there are also people with a critical opinion. Actually too few, IMHO.

Edited on by Omega

Ωɱɛɡɑ

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MarkyVigoroth

19. Posted:

__Stevie wrote:

Completly off topic, but while I'm in rant mode can i just say i HATE the over-use of the following words on the tinterweb

1.EPIC
2.FAIL
3.WIN
4.OWNED/PWNED
5.ANY COMBO OF THE ABOVE

Makes my blood boil

...really?
There are two types of messages that make me want to "Luigi-claw" (http://nintendrawer.deviantart.com/art/super-mario-bros-page-21-72788311) the commenter:
1) sentences that use "has" and "is" incorrectly on purpose ("Can I has DSi now?"; "I is a Chain Chomp!")
2) REALLY stupid requests ("Please ban me from your site. Please. PLEASE!")

Then again, I rarely use Internet slang (or even real slang) myself.

..."Twilight"? I'd rather read "My Immortal."

Credits: http://fav.me/d2gq0yf <- NOT my stamp

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CowLaunch

20. Posted:

MarkyVigoroth wrote:

__Stevie wrote:

Completly off topic, but while I'm in rant mode can i just say i HATE the over-use of the following words on the tinterweb

1.EPIC
2.FAIL
3.WIN
4.OWNED/PWNED
5.ANY COMBO OF THE ABOVE

Makes my blood boil

...really?
There are two types of messages that make me want to "Luigi-claw" (http://nintendrawer.deviantart.com/art/super-mario-bros-page-21-72788311) the commenter:
1) sentences that use "has" and "is" incorrectly on purpose ("Can I has DSi now?"; "I is a Chain Chomp!")
2) REALLY stupid requests ("Please ban me from your site. Please. PLEASE!")

Then again, I rarely use Internet slang (or even real slang) myself.

I'm not one for lol-speak, but I kind of figure that it's me that's out of step.

Edited on by CowLaunch

CowLaunch