Forums

Topic: Who likes English and writing?

Posts 21 to 35 of 35

Magi

Ya know...when I was growing up there were plenty of people (and maybe still are) who initially state that we speak "American" in the US. They'd eventually concede that we actually speak English. But now that I'm older, I kind of wonder if a case could be made for speaking "American"? Is there enough of a difference? Or is it just patriotic rubbish?

Magi

Aviator

I remember I saw a picture of a sign once. It was a student asking for a tutor who spoke English and American.

I think though that it should be referred to as English. You don't speak French speaking Canadians saying they speak Canadian.

Also, now that I have completed my Ext essay, I love English a whole lot more.

Edited on by Aviator

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

theblackdragon

@Magi, @navi: given that American English is markedly different in terms of pronunciation, spelling, and patterns of speech, I think an argument does exist in terms of teaching/learning 'American' as opposed to British or Australian. Are they entirely different? No. Will a speaker of one understand the others? Possibly, but it depends on regional slang and/or speech pattern/word choices, and also the depths of the accent being taught.

Granted, to the complete beginner, the difference wouldn't be there, but in terms of a student actively looking to pick up an authentic American accent and natural vocabulary, i don't see how that's a problem. Same goes for the person describing their language as 'American' — at this point, it's kinda true IMO :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Aviator

I think the argument (which is probably not clear in my post at all) is that it shouldn't be referred to as simply American, but rather American English.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

theblackdragon

@navi: didn't the sign ask for 'English and American', though? granted, i didn't see it for myself (and thus can't tell from the context whether it was written by a native English speaker or not), but from the sound of it, they're clearly asking for AmE as opposed to BrE or AuE. If they chopped it up a bit due to lack of finesse, more power to them for attempting to seek help for that, y'know? :3

also, given this thread, i thought the 'English' part was a given? Since we don't have an official language, a case could be made for 'American Spanish', 'American Creole', 'American this, that, and the other language' as well, but when people from outside countries think 'American', they think 'English'. You don't see East Asian businessmen learning French or Spanish in order to deal with American businessmen. You don't see workers at Indian call-centers taking classes and workshops to 'eradicate' their native accents in order to speak French or Spanish to American customers.

BEST THREAD EVER

Adam

J'aime d'ecrire beaucoup, mais je deteste l'anglais. Je suis un anana.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

theblackdragon

Adam wrote:

Je suis un anana.

no wonder i've always thought you were so awful. je déteste les ananas. :3
mangues aussi.

BEST THREAD EVER

CorporalPegasus

English? Writing? Wat is dat allemaal? Ik snap niks van dit topic. En ik ben geen ananas. En ook geen sinaasappel.

Edited on by CorporalPegasus

IGOR!

Eel

The only language allowed in this site is English.
Don't make me lock this thread.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Rensch

I'm a journalism student so I naturally have some interest in writing. English isn't my native language but I have no problem writing in it. It might be interesting to do something in English and work in an English-speaking country for a few months.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

Missingno

I've always been told I'm good at writing, but I haven't published much because I tend to disagree, heh.

Missingno

Bikeage

Dost think lesseth of thee for scribing with electrons and nost quill? Thou vernacular pleaseth, mechanical ascription without. Forsooth, hope yet dwells within thy language of Brittanica!

"Put. That. Coffee. Down. Coffee's for closers only."

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.