Forums

Topic: Where are the best places to buy video games?

Posts 1 to 20 of 20

Kizzi

I live in the US, and I was wondering what are the best place to buy video games, besides the internet, I don't shop online.

3DS: 4081-5713-4255
wii: 0919 8248 3945 8359
Brawl: 3866 8155 2677
MK: 4167 4898 3288
excite bots: 1848 9258 6300

Slapshot

I personally use Gamestop for GBA to newer games. Other than that I go to our massive local Flea Market to find those rare old obscure games that are so hard to find.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

SilentJ

I shop at Best Buy and use the Reward Zone Gamer's Club for points that lead to gift certificates. Only for brand new games though. For older games I go to Gamestop or a place in North Hollywood called Gamedude.

PSN ID : MrPink78

LinktotheFuture

I shop at Best Buy and use the Reward Zone Gamer's Club also. A great deal indeed.

The chickens are restless.
3DS Friend Code: 1547-5282-6926

theblackdragon

if you don't use the internet, there's local hobby shops or small stores that may sell video games (check your phone book), there's chain stores devoted to games (GameStop, Game Crazy, E/B, etc.), there's video rental or electronics stores that may have a section devoted to games (Best Buy, Circuit City, Blockbuster), and then there's big stores that sell all kinds of stuff and may have a limited game selection (Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc.). There's also Craigslist, where you may be able to find people in your town wanting to sell their used games, and then as slapshot82 recommended, flea markets can also be a place to pick up video games for fairly cheap (watch out for bootlegs, though).

Rare or limited edition games will usually be out in the dedicated game shops instead of places like Wal-Mart or Target, or maybe you'll see a big advertisement on TV that you can only get (insert game here) at (insert store here) and they'll release it with a huge fanfare and all that. Wide-release first-party games like Rhythm Heaven or New Super Mario Bros., you'll be able to find just about everywhere (and probably for a slightly lower price at Target or Wal-Mart as opposed to GameStop or similar). Dedicated game stores are more likely to take trade-ins than big stores, and they may be able to special-order something for you or put something on hold for you for a few hours until you're able to get down there and get it, while large stores may have a policy against that kind of thing. It all depends on what you're looking for, really.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Danny_August

Gamestop, GameCrazy...Major chains are okay, you can get some decent trade cred and still pick up new games...If you live near a small town, you might find a Hastings...They have music, movies, books and games...They trade, sell new and used and I think possibly buy...Gamestop, etc is nice on used, you get 7 days on used at Gamestop to take a used title back for full cred...If you buy the edge card, you get a 10% increase on trade cred and 10% off used...Unfortunately you have to be subject to GameInformer...It rather is a pitiful excuse for a game mag....

Direct quote: Bork, Bork, Bork

Knux

If you go to Gamestop,be VERY careful. Today,I went to Gamestop and I bought a used copy of Paper Mario:The Thousand Year Door. Well,guess what? I took it home,put the disc in my Wii,and it wouldn't read it. The reason the disc was messed up was because the disc was scratched up horribly in the VERY MIDDLE CIRCLE AT THE BACK OF THE DISC!! I took the game back to Gamestop and got my money back,thankfully.
Then,I order a new copy from Amazon and a used copy of Luigi's Mansion.

Knux

Slapshot

Oh yeah I use Best Buy too. Forgot that one and Target has a tendency to suprisingly get in obsure games every now and then really cheap.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Pegasus

SuperSonic1990 wrote:

If you go to Gamestop,be VERY careful. Today,I went to Gamestop and I bought a used copy of Paper Mario:The Thousand Year Door. Well,guess what? I took it home,put the disc in my Wii,and it wouldn't read it. The reason the disc was messed up was because the disc was scratched up horribly in the VERY MIDDLE CIRCLE AT THE BACK OF THE DISC!!

How does that pertain to Gamestop? Something like that is possible at any place which sells used games. The few times I do buy used copies I always ask to check on the condition of the disc beforehand. That might have saved you the hassle to begin with.

Edited on by Pegasus

Mario Forever! (free nipple suit and gratuitous butt-shots included)
PSN: MisterMumbles82

Knux

Pegasus wrote:

SuperSonic1990 wrote:

If you go to Gamestop,be VERY careful. Today,I went to Gamestop and I bought a used copy of Paper Mario:The Thousand Year Door. Well,guess what? I took it home,put the disc in my Wii,and it wouldn't read it. The reason the disc was messed up was because the disc was scratched up horribly in the VERY MIDDLE CIRCLE AT THE BACK OF THE DISC!!

How does that pertain to Gamestop? Something like that is possible at any place which sells used games. The few times I do buy used copies I always ask to check on the condition of the disc beforehand. That might have saved you the hassle to begin with.

Well,thanks for the advice. I think I will do that from now on.
Now that I remember,Best Buy even did something wrose...

Edited on by Knux

Knux

Atlantis1982

Pegasus wrote:

SuperSonic1990 wrote:

Plus the one I went to when I boght Capcom vs SNK the counter guy actually cleaned up as much with the disc. It works fine.

Atlantis1982

Charlie_The_Unicorn

I like to use Bestu Buy or Gamespot. They often have a larger inventory than other stores.

Tomena Sanner: Because dancing businessmen are awesome.

Kaeobais

EB Games is where I go (don't know if that's in the US, but I'm pretty sure Gamestop is almost identicle). I've found 3 gamecube games there that I'd been looking for forever. Yet they still don't have Alien Hominid D: Best buy is also great. Their selection is quite large. I occaisonally use HMV, but that's usually for new releases that I can't find anywhere (MadWorld was one of them).

The best strategy in the game: go up stairs and pause balls.

irken004

i'm a MVP member at Game Crazy so i go there although I do occasionally go to Target or Gamestop (just got Star Fox Command and Musashi: Samurai Legend at Gamestop today)

Wiiloveit

Shop around if you're in the UK, although the best ones are Play, Zavvi, Amazon and Gamesbasement IMO

Wiiloveit

Burn

<rant> Working at a GameStop for a few years, I can tell you the worst thing you can do is trade in your games for store credit (and don't even get me started on cash trades). People do it because it's fast and easy. Bought a $50 game? Sure! We'll take it off your hands for less than half it's original price. Believe me, everyone, buying/selling games is best done online. </rant>

Edited on by Burn

No.

mariofan5000

I Recommend GameStop,Best Buy or Target.

mariofan5000

Burn

To be honest, buying used games at GameStop is a good deal only because you can return them within a week for a full refund (or longer if you get a warranty). Think of it as an expensive, but ultimately free "rental."

No.

Electricmastro

There's a store called GameOverVideoGames. They sell Atari, Sega, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, etc., but I don't think it's commercial everywhere.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

Zach777

Amazon.com has been where I've found the best prices.

Switch Friend Code: 2533-4777-6888
Wii Friend Code: 5530-6075-2319-8028
3DS Friend Code: 0173-1350-1794
NNID: Zach777
AC:NL Dream Address: 4500-2207-2260
Pokémon GO Friend Code: 0296 8052 5792

Switch Friend Code: SW-2533-4777-6888 | 3DS Friend Code: 0173-1350-1794 | My Nintendo: Zach777 | Nintendo Network ID: Zach777

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.