General Discussion Forum

Topic: When It Turns 2010 are You going to Call It "Two Thousand Ten" or "Twenty Ten?"

Showing 61 to 80 of 89

AuthorMessage

Turbo_Genesis_64

61. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

@Turbo: so what were we supposed to call the year 2000, twenty-zero? it would've happened on its own, 2001 or not.

Technically, the new millennium began in 2001. It was still the 20th Century in 2000 so call it "Twenty Hundred."

Edited on by Turbo_Genesis_64

EXPERIENCE MORE.... Arcade-quality graphics, awesome sound, "turbo-charged" game play, exciting TurboChip games... It's the incredible Turbo Genesis 64 Entertainment SuperSystem Experience. There's more fun, more challenge, and more excitment ready for you today!

AuthorMessage

3DS

62. Posted:

i'll call it 2020

Conduit 2 = 2150-8520-4215 - Nickname = Conor
3DS = 0817-3849-1308. Name = [NL] 3DS
Goldeneye FC = 2768-9180-5064 Nickname = [NL] 3DS
Skype = Conor3000

AuthorMessage

3DS

63. Posted:

i mean 2010

Conduit 2 = 2150-8520-4215 - Nickname = Conor
3DS = 0817-3849-1308. Name = [NL] 3DS
Goldeneye FC = 2768-9180-5064 Nickname = [NL] 3DS
Skype = Conor3000

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

64. Posted:

@Turbo: did I mention the millennium? I'm talking about pronunciation... even without that book already released, we'd still have been calling the year 2001 'two-thousand one' (or 'two-thousand and one' depending on the person) because the year prior had been the year 'two-thousand'. it's the natural progression of numbers (as we count them aloud), and also, i don't think anyone would even understand what i was talking about if i called it 'twenty-hundred'. o_O;

also, lol, DSi, best typo ever :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

Turbo_Genesis_64

65. Posted:

@Blackdragon

Think of it this way, it's the year 2000 not the year 2,000!

EXPERIENCE MORE.... Arcade-quality graphics, awesome sound, "turbo-charged" game play, exciting TurboChip games... It's the incredible Turbo Genesis 64 Entertainment SuperSystem Experience. There's more fun, more challenge, and more excitment ready for you today!

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

66. Posted:

@Turbo: ... you've completely lost me now. both are two-thousand.

BEST THREAD EVER
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

Turbo_Genesis_64

67. Posted:

@blackdragon

How would you pronounce 1900, Miss Smarty?

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

68. Posted:

@Turbo: people don't say 'twenty-hundred' or 'thirty-hundred', though... twenty-two hundred, sure, and thirty-three hundred, again, sure... but when there's a round tens-value number at the beginning of a year, you don't say '(that number)-hundred'; you go back to thousands to express it for the first nine years, and then after that it could either be expressed in thousands or double tens-values (twenty-ten, twenty-eleven, twenty-twelve, etc.)... and there's no need for names, dude.

i mean seriously, pronounce it however you like wherever you are, i'm just saying i'd get funny looks and/or end up laughed at if i tried pronouncing it the way you suggest here in the US.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER

AuthorMessage

Turbo_Genesis_64

69. Posted:

@blackdragon

I think in some ways we are both right and I'm sorry I snapped at you.

About the whole hundred thing, it's pretty common even outside of dates. Like you try to buy a car and you ask how much and they say Twenty-Three Hundred or (2,300).

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

70. Posted:

@Turbo: notice you don't see a car advertised as 'twenty-hundred bucks'; it would be 'two thousand'. Same for 1000, the year would be 'one-thousand' as well as the price of the car, as 'ten-hundred' just sounds... weird. :3

BEST THREAD EVER

AuthorMessage

Turbo_Genesis_64

71. Posted:

@blackdragon

Just rub some more salt in the wound!

Two Thousand stresses 2,000 years, while Twenty Hundred stresses 20 Centuries.

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

72. Posted:

@Turbo: but 2000 years is twenty centuries; the 'centuries' part doesn't need to be stressed unless you're actively discussing centuries, and even then you'd be saying 'twenty centuries' (or 'the twentieth century', in which case you'd be discussing the 1900's)... are we crossing wires somewhere or something? ^^;

BEST THREAD EVER

AuthorMessage

Turbo_Genesis_64

73. Posted:

Well, all I know is I'm calling it Twenty Ten! I have to get some sleep.

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

74. Posted:

DKC2 is calling my name, too. enjoy your sleep. :3

BEST THREAD EVER

AuthorMessage

luigiman2

75. Posted:

It's two thousand ten.

Enjoy the CHEESE of life.

AuthorMessage

Turbo_Genesis_64

76. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

DKC2 is calling my name, too. enjoy your sleep. :3

Wow, how late did you stay up playing vidoe games?

AuthorMessage

NotEnoughGolds

77. Posted:

Deux zero uno null

NotEnoughGolds

AuthorMessage

Turbo_Genesis_64

78. Posted:

Well, blackdragon's "two thousand" doesn't sound too bad for 2000, but for 2100 -- "two thousand one hundred" can't compare with "Twenty One Hundred."

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

79. Posted:

@Turbo: as I said before (plz to see reply 68), 'twenty-one hundred', 'twenty-two hundred', 'twenty-three hundred', etc. -- those are fine, because there's no round number (ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety) in the initial tens space. As long as it's not a round number, saying it as '(tens-value) hundred' (as would be in the case of the year 'twenty-one hundred') won't get you laughed at or ridiculed. :)

BEST THREAD EVER

AuthorMessage

WanderFan91

80. Posted:

Actually, Turbo, for 2100, I'd say Twenty One Hundred. Sounds more sensible to me.

AKA StarBoy91
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Check out my Personal Super Famicom Recommendations
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
23 and proud =)
To each their own