Forums

Topic: What was your last beer?

Posts 101 to 120 of 120

bimmy-lee

@Lloiddd - I’ve had warmed beer once. It was a sour, and brewed to be served warmed. It was an unusual experience. It felt appropriate for the holidays. I’ve had quite a few cellar and room temp beers as well. In the US, we tend to refer to beer that isn’t cold as “warm”, but a lot of the world probably refers to it as room temperature. There are many beers brewed to be consumed this way, but it isn’t really common here. In my experience, if I find myself at a micro brew with a cellar option on gravity tap; I’m certain it’s a quality place. Cold beer is a recent event in the timeline of beer.

@Octane - I’ve had lots of warm German potato salad. It’s a sugar and vinegar base with big chunks of potato, bacon, carrot and green onion typically. It’s not the mayo style. I’ve always wondered if it’s German-American potato salad or German potato salad. I guess you answered that question.

@Ralizah - Variety is the spice of life. Spiked lemonade and root beer are welcome here. I thinks it’s interesting that, while most are nostalgically celebrating the last day of last year, you choose to celebrate the first day of a new year. More often than not, I’m not capable of celebrating the new year because I celebrated the old year way too heartily.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@Ralizah Hard Lemonade? Wtf is that?

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Ralizah

@bimmy-lee Well, you know, a new year is a symbolic starting place, a time to set resolutions to do and be better. That's worth celebrating. For example, one of my goals was to lose 50 pounds this year, and, so far, I'm over halfway to my goal!

I do make sure to drink plenty of water in between drinks to dilute the effect of the alcohol on my ability to function responsibly, though.

@ThanosReXXX An alcoholic drink with a malt liquor base designed to taste like sugared lemonade.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

bimmy-lee

@Ralizah - Well done! Hope you continue right down the path to your goal. The power of accountability is strong. Even if we’re only accountable to ourselves, stating a goal out loud holds extra incentive.

@ThanosReXXX - It’s a really common alcoholic beverage in the US now. Not sure exactly when they became commonplace, maybe in the late 90s/early 00s. Mike’s Hard Lemonade and Smirnoff are two of the big brands. They sprang out of the flavored malt beverage market.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@Ralizah So spiked lemonade then, like @bimmy-lee said?
I think "hard" lemonade is a "slightly" too literal translation from German into English...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Oh, wait... So there actually IS something called hard lemonade in the US?
There's spiked drinks in a can here, but they don't call them hard lemonade, but simply pre-made mixed beverages.

There's all kinds of variants too: whisky and cola, gin tonic, passoa orange juice, or vodka orange juice, and of course various beers with lemonade in them, like Radlers.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Octane

@bimmy-lee They have the mayo version too. Potatoes with onions, bacon, carrots and vinegar is just baked potatoes to me

Octane

ThanosReXXX

@Octane I was thinking the exact same thing...

Ralizah

@ThanosReXXX Ah, yeah, Mike's Hard Lemonade is an actual brand here. Quite popular. The root beer is actually called something different, a long name I don't remember. But it's just alcoholic root beer. My first time trying one, even though I'm quite a fan of root beer and usually try more obscure brands when I get the chance. I've yet to find one I've enjoyed more than Barqs, though.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Yes, they’re sort of beer alternatives. We have a “malt beverage” market, totally different from the malt beers we discussed a few weeks ago, though there can be beer malt beverages. Colt 45 is a malt beer. Something like Saint Ides special brew is what we’re talking about here. Flavored malt beverages, like alcohol infused sodas. Lemon was always one of the most popular flavors, and I think that’s what birthed the spiked lemonade specialty market. It became a go to drink for people who don’t really care for beer, and they emerged before craft beer was everywhere in the US; so they serve a market. Before craft brewers had large distribution, the options at an average pub were Miller, Budweiser, maybe a local beer, and a beer alternative like a spiked lemonade.

The radlers are beer infused with lemonade/lemon juice, these are lemon flavored drinks. I’ve also seen some of the pre mixed liquor drinks in a can. I haven’t had one I really enjoyed. They’ve all been pretty gross, but I remain open minded on the subject. When I want a mixed drink though, I really enjoy making my own. It’s part of the fun.

Edit - Your pics didn’t load when I wrote my response, I haven’t had any of those cans, but I would try them.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

bimmy-lee

@Octane - I wish that was a standard baked potato around here. I’d enjoy them a lot more. The bare bones baked potato to me is just dressed in butter, sour cream, salt and pepper. It leaves too much potato flavor which leads to the occasional overly earthy bite. I make them at home on the grill, but I rarely order them out at a restaurant.

@Ralizah - I’m always on the hunt for a new root beer. Barq’s is definitely the best, commonly available root beer in my opinion as well. You’re probably thinking of Not Your Father’s brand spiked root beer.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ogo79

@bimmy-lee barqs root beer is the best ever. mug tastes like bug spray. yes
i drank bug spray before to know this.
smartguys

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

bimmy-lee

@ogo79 - So good. It’s the only one with bite (TM). I’m also in on their cream ale, and the elusive Barq’s grand prize: Red cream ale. It’s pretty much impossible to not get some bug spray in your mouth when you use it. The wind demands it. It’s the price you have to pay to be sort of bug free.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

bimmy-lee wrote:

When I want a mixed drink though, I really enjoy making my own. It’s part of the fun

Yes it is. Which is why I also always mix my own Cuba Libres. Also allows for perfect parts measuring,
to suit the personal taste...

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee And as for your baked potatoes: that sounds like luxury potatoes, not standard.
Over here, baked potatoes are just that: baked potatoes. Just cut up into wedges, stick 'em in a pan with hot butter or olive oil, add some salt and pepper, or any other spice you like, and bake 'em.

Sometimes, we add rosemary and sea salt, which is already a step up from "ordinary" baked potatoes,
and if we REALLY want to go all out, we add small bacon cubes and onion rings, and bake that altogether.

There's also various kinds available, if you don't feel like preparing the potatoes yourself: you got your completely peeled wedges, your wedges with the skin still on them (often used for baking in the oven or on the BBQ, making "country style" potatoes) or ready to go mixes of any of the previously mentioned.

There are mixes with potato slices and a rich helping of various kinds of sauces, but over here, those are called "potato dishes" or "oven potatoes", but not baked potatoes, even though (obviously) the dish still gets baked in the oven. That's Dutch for you...
(and I've translated it as is, to make it even clearer what distinctions are made in that language)

And finally, there's also complete potato dishes, or vegetable dishes, which do not just contain wedges or tiny round potatoes, but also various vegetables, often with some kind of garlic butter or oil sprinkled on top, and that's then stir fried, so it's literally just baked potatoes and vegetables, but that's too long of a word/sentence, and potatoes ARE vegetables, so over here, it's just called vegetable stir-fry.

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - They all sound good to me. I don’t order baked potatos at restaurants often (I’m usually in on a mashed or fried potato variant), but I like what I make at home. I like smaller potatoes, vent them, pack them in foil with way too much butter, pepper, salt, and garlic cloves; then bake directly on the coals for so long the butter burns the skin, and the outside of the potatos get crunchy. I try not to cook with foil, but it’s a necessary ingredient here.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Well, that doesn't sound too shabby either. Might have to make a mental note of that, for the next BBQ...

Lloiddd

Ah so it's room temperature. Interesting. I thought they warm it somehow with heat.

@Octane warm potato salad is sold in parts of US as "German food" (from generations of Americans). It's definitely not the creamy/mayonnaise based one, it's more like sweet and sour more like 4 bean salad but with potato and heated.

Note sure if they actually (still) eat it in Germany.

FC Switch and 3DS 2810-1724-7536

ogo79

@bimmy-lee
yeah i remember that red one too
cant find it anywhere.
all hail barqs

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

bimmy-lee

Just doubled down on a couple Dogfish Head World Wide Stouts from the cellar. A two year old standard variety, and an oak aged vanilla from last winter. As Borat once said, “Wa wa wee wah!”

limby-bee was a jerk.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.