Forums

Topic: What psn final fantasy game I should start with you think?

Posts 21 to 31 of 31

CanisWolfred

blink83 wrote:

I dont get your first sentence..... Yeah about the "avy" or whatever (took me awhile to relize what you meant by that......) I read about games alot mainly before I buy them so I know what Im getting into. And Im psychd for lbp2

Well, then I'll just delete it...

And reading about the games before you get them is generally a good idea, especially if there's no way to try it first.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kevohki

Well FF7 is the easiest out of the PS1 Final Fantasy games. However, be warned that FF7 (as well as FF8) devolve into simplistic redundancy that requires no strategy whatsoever. The stories are good but both games' battle system and upgrade systems (Materia for 7, Junctioning for 8) are severely broken and easily abused making your characters completely overpowered even if you don't grind EXP (8's is so bad that you can easily finish the game with characters not even leveled into double digits). These systems essentially make every single character the same (except for each characters specific limit breaks) because every character can equip every magic, summon, skill, etc. that the game offers. This also makes investing in more than three characters pointless and repetitive. The games are fun but they are extremely broken due to these systems. You might not realize it on the first play-through but coming from someone who has completed 7 and 8 multiple times, it makes me wonder why people don't take off their fanboy goggles when they immediately declare FF7 as the best in the series when the Materia system is god-awful and makes the game no challenge whatsoever. It's still not as piss-easy as FF10 though, lol.

I consider FF9 the best of the PS1 games. It mixes the best of the new with the best of the old. Every character is useful and serves a specific purpose which increases the game's difficulty and forces you to use strategy when deciding which characters to take into battle and what abilities to equip on certain characters. Every character is vastly different as well (only one character can steal, only one can use black magic, only two can summon and use white magic, only one can use blue magic, only one can throw weapons, etc, just like how it used to be before FF7 came around and dumbed down the series mechanics. It did good in the story department and graphics but those are what made so many people overlook FF7's faults back in the late 90s). The upgrade system is balanced with learning abilities from equipment and weapons and you can't break the 9999 damage mark with a single attack (which was a major problem with 7 and 8, even making the strongest optional bosses a cakewalk). Enemies are harder and the main villain is one the best in the series (severely underrated). FF9's setting also returns to the fantasy setting whereas 7 and 8 (and all recent Final Fantasy games except 12 to an extent) are hung up in futuristic settings (8 even going as far as in space). Pro or con, you decide. I always enjoyed the fantasy FF games the most (IV, VI, IX). FF9's sidequests are more involved (Chocobo Hot and Cold, etc) than the previous two FF's (7 just had you breeding chocobos which was pretty boring). The major knock I can level against 9 is that FF8's card mini-game/sidequest was far superior. FF9's card game was forgettable. FF9 does have it's faults (auto-regen is overpowered, you can level up quickly by nerfing a strong monster in the game) but you can easily solve these problems (don't use it, don't do it). Unlike in 7 and 8 where the systems were the problem instead of just one ability or two that you could decide not to utilize at all.

If you are new to the series, start with 7. If you want a challenge, start with 9. 8 has decent story and is worth playing through if you haven't already.

People might even accuse me of hating on FF7 but honestly, rarely anybody points out that game's many faults and instead just calls it overrated without basing that label on anything (however, FF10 has since taken over as the defend to the death by fans game in the series, a good game but yes, it had it's problems as well). FF7 is a great game (has one of the best stories and wow factors if you played it when it first came out), but yes, it is severely overrated by the fans (me being one of them for a time until I replayed and looked at it without bias).

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

CanisWolfred

^Some people don't consider those problems. FF6 has similar problems, but few people actually complain about it. Heck, some people love abusing the system.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

7 is ok (although was much better when originally released), 8 always sucked, 9 I didn't play much of but it's usually considered the underrated gem of the main series.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Noire

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that people absolutely worship Final Fantasy VI and yet turn around and absolutely hate Final Fantasy VII? They're like... really similar in a whole lot of ways. :/

Anyways you should start with VII. IMO it's the best of those three, and it's the first to come out, so there's really no question in my mind. :3

Edited on by Noire

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

LzWinky

Because VI is beautiful and VII looks like crap!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

Mickeymac wrote:

lz2010 wrote:

What you talking about? They both look like crap.

According to you

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

lz2010 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

lz2010 wrote:

What you talking about? They both look like crap.

According to you

I could really say the same to you. In all seriousness, I actually prefer the designs in FF7 to FF6. Maybe its just the color palette and the anime characters?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

feder

7 or 9. I feel like 7 is more techno-fantasy and 9 is more standard fantasy, so whatever floats your boat is what you should get. I didn't like 8 at all, so I can't suggest that.

feder

Bassman_Q

If you want to play the best FF, I'd go with FF VI. It has the deepest plotline and biggest cast of characters, though given I have not played FF 7 or 8. However, you're going with PSN so I recommend FF9. Thats what I did with my psp, and the story's almost as amazing as FF VI's.

Edited on by Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q

Nintendo Network ID: QwikStix42

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.