Forums

Topic: What makes a game "Overrated?"

Posts 61 to 72 of 72

J_K

Mickey It's the best RPG because sony media told him it was when he was growing up or that perhaps it was his first rpg (or a very early one), or some other reason.

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

grenworthshero

I used to despise everything about PlayStation growing up, and I played Final Fantasy VIII for a while and decided Final Fantasy was horrible, and PlayStation as well. I only played Final Fantasy VII a few years ago, and I've never played a better RPG than that. I don't know how to describe it, they just did everything right. I love the Materia system, and battling is better than it's ever been in the series, besides maybe FFX, which has a great battle system. The story is great, and the characters are complex. Since then every other RPG has tried to emulate it which has led to the belief that Cloud and Sephiroth are just "emo" because of the countless clones that followed them. Everyone in the game has a complex backstory, and the soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in any game. I'm not trying to change your opinion if you don't believe it's the best RPG ever, but it's certainly not overrated. FFVII changed RPGs at the time, and it was to RPGs what OoT was to adventure games. I didn't play it as a kid, since I was a Nintendo fanboy as a kid, but when I tried for the first time a few years ago, it blew me away, and taught me that RPGs don't have to be boring and tedious. I'm sure, being a Nintendo site, the most popular RPGs on here are Chrono Trigger and FFVI or maybe FFIV, but, in my opinion, FFVII is much better than any of those games. The only thing that comes close, to me, is Final Fantasy IX.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

CanisWolfred

grenworthshero wrote:

I used to despise everything about PlayStation growing up, and I played Final Fantasy VIII for a while and decided Final Fantasy was horrible, and PlayStation as well. I only played Final Fantasy VII a few years ago, and I've never played a better RPG than that. I don't know how to describe it, they just did everything right. I love the Materia system, and battling is better than it's ever been in the series, besides maybe FFX, which has a great battle system. The story is great, and the characters are complex. Since then every other RPG has tried to emulate it which has led to the belief that Cloud and Sephiroth are just "emo" because of the countless clones that followed them. Everyone in the game has a complex backstory, and the soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in any game. I'm not trying to change your opinion if you don't believe it's the best RPG ever, but it's certainly not overrated. FFVII changed RPGs at the time, and it was to RPGs what OoT was to adventure games. I didn't play it as a kid, since I was a Nintendo fanboy as a kid, but when I tried for the first time a few years ago, it blew me away, and taught me that RPGs don't have to be boring and tedious. I'm sure, being a Nintendo site, the most popular RPGs on here are Chrono Trigger and FFVI or maybe FFIV, but, in my opinion, FFVII is much better than any of those games. The only thing that comes close, to me, is Final Fantasy IX.

Haha, I actually agree with you on most counts. Honestly, I do think FF7 is one of the best RPGs out there, at least from an objective standpoint. Even though I'm still on the first disc, I can already see a lot of the points you made, and I can't wait to see more of it. In fact, I'd also say it has a lot of charm to it as well, with plenty of humor and quirky momemts to offset the drama. I love it when a game does stuff like that, and I hate it when a game gets too serious all the time. Personally, there are plenty of games I enjoyed more because they excelled in certain areas that I care about most, and appeal more to my tastes. Still, there are few games that did virtually everything well the way FF7 did. I can't really say I have any complaints with it, other than petty stuff like the battles are too slow and you can't save Limits for when you need them most. I just love talking to people about their favorite games.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

grenworthshero

My friend forced me to play it the first time. I was reluctant, having been so against everything PlayStation before that. The battle system did seem a little slow at first, but you can change the settings to make it go a lot faster, and you really should if you're used to RPGs. At the time, the Active Time Battle thing was pretty new, so they kept it slow. Like most good RPGs, it doesn't really get good until after the first half, which makes sense to a good story arc.

Kingbuilder

Final Fantasy IV and IX on the other hand started off good, and stayed good. C:

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

grenworthshero

Kingbuilder wrote:

Final Fantasy IV and IX on the other hand started off good, and stayed good. C:

We'll have to agree to disagree on FFIV. That game was fun, but the story was pretty much horrible. I got tired of everyone dying and then coming back and dying again, and then everyone comes back in the end. And then whatshisface betraying you and then coming back and betraying you again.

Kingbuilder

grenworthshero wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree on FFIV. That game was fun, but the story was pretty much horrible.

Final Fantasy IV is my favorite in the series. I think it has a more developed and complex plot than most RPG's and other games that are being made nowadays. But, to each their own, I guess.

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

Adam

I want to play football in space.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

CanisWolfred

Kingbuilder wrote:

grenworthshero wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree on FFIV. That game was fun, but the story was pretty much horrible.

Final Fantasy IV is my favorite in the series. I think it has a more developed and complex plot than most RPG's and other games that are being made nowadays. But, to each their own, I guess.

FF4 has a very complex plot, sure. Now if only the gameplay were even half as good as the story, it might've actually been fun.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

grenworthshero

Honestly, I don't remember much of the plot from FFIV, because I just got annoyed so many people died, and then it didn't even matter because it turned out no one actually died, and the constant betrayal/sorry-I'm-on-your-side/Oh-wait-not-really?yes-I-am-I-swear. Then, there were a lot of other annoyances, like the final boss switcharoo.

shingi_70

Even if something is good it will be considered overrated.

Being called overrated is a good thing though it means your so good that even if you make a crap product people give you the benefit of the doubt.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.