Forums

Topic: What are the best 3D Mario(s) in your opinion?

Posts 141 to 160 of 217

Chrono_Cross

nintendogamerftw wrote:

@Badknux
Are you kidding me?!
The level design in Sunshine was atrocious. Some of the levels didn't work well and often followed this pattern.
"Oh, you spent the last 10 minutes climbing up there, but fell. Too bad, do it again!"
Or at least that was what the friends I was playing with said.

It wasn't just that.
Retracing your steps 8 times in pointless objectives was just the first. The camera angles and FLUDD's ability is really dull, poor, and irritating to the max. The worse part about this game is the point that you cannot get 120 stars unless you find every, and I mean EVERY blue damn coin in every level so you can purchase a Shine Sprites at that store in Delfino, which by far is the laziest thing I've ever seen in a Mario game: Find coins to buy Shine Sprites rather than going through a fun level and actually feeling like you deserved it rather than this poor excuse.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Kid_A

Chrono+Cross wrote:

nintendogamerftw wrote:

@Badknux
Are you kidding me?!
The level design in Sunshine was atrocious. Some of the levels didn't work well and often followed this pattern.
"Oh, you spent the last 10 minutes climbing up there, but fell. Too bad, do it again!"

It wasn't just that.
Retracing your steps 8 times in pointless objectives was just the first. You realize this is done in every 3-D Mario game, right? You go to the same level 8 times to do different objectives. That's how they work

The camera angles and FLUDD's ability is really dull, poor, and irritating to the max. Opinion

The worse part about this game is the point that you cannot get 120 stars unless you find every, and I mean EVERY blue damn coin in every level so you can purchase a Shine Sprites at that store in Delfino, which by far is the laziest thing I've ever seen in a Mario game: Find coins to buy Shine Sprites rather than going through a fun level and actually feeling like you deserved it rather than this poor excuse You go to a fun level to find the blue coins, and finding 10 of them really feels like an accomplishment so...I can't agree with you on that one

Edited on by Kid_A

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Kid_A

Xkhaoz wrote:

@Odnetnin Yes, SMS2 would be the best thing since sliced bread. And SMSs level design is super mega totally fun awesome.

Seconded

Chrono_Cross

@Kid_A
It's pointless to look for blue coins. It's a waste of time and it takes a lot of time to find them all when you could be playing a level.
It's laziness and makes the game look bad. Galaxy never did this and even SM64 didn't exactly do this, this bad.

"You go to a fun level to find the blue coins, and finding 10 of them really feels like an accomplishment"

So going to the same Level for the 9th time is fun to you when your attempting to find all of the blue coins when your more than likely not going to find them all in that attempt? Nice logic.

Just for you.

Chrono_Cross

Oh and did I mention that Sunshine's difficulty throws many gamers off with all the horrid camera angles that get you killed and the overall cheapness that occurs?
A cool thing about Sunshine is that Yoshi is in it.

But wait a minute?
He dies when he touches water and SMS is engulfed in water. Now how stupid is that?

Just for you.

Adam

Kid_A wrote:

Chrono+Cross wrote:

The camera angles and FLUDD's ability is really dull, poor, and irritating to the max.

Opinion

What else could it be but opinion? If you're going to debate opinions on a video game, you can't just write off other opinions that you can't think of a good response to by saying they are what everyone already knows they are.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

mrchillz

All mario games are a million times better than any other game. Mario 64 is not only my favorite mario game but my favorite game ever. This new mario bros game for WII, is very good as well. In a historical perspective, Mario 64 revolutionized games. I would rate them 1-64 2-sunshine 3-galaxy.

mrchillz

Timwario

While I'm fine with everyone's opinion, I hope none of you actually hate galaxy. Maybe you didn't like it and don't prefer it, but I hope no one thinks it BAD. All Mario games are masterpieces. I know I might say bad stuff about sunshine, but I still think it's a masterpiece. I hope everyone's just comparing these games but not saying their camera is bad or it's control are bad alone. Their camera and controls are better than any other 3d platformer I've played.

Edited on by Timwario

Timwario

Axoloth

nintendogamerftw wrote:

@Badknux
Are you kidding me?!

Ahem. Did Galaxy (or 64 for that matter) have a haunted house where you could jump through the roof and end up in someone’s bathtub? I think not!
Oh, and why does everyone say FLUDD replaced Mario’s skill set? 'Cuz, it didn't. With hovering it wasn't exactly easy to pin-point where you would land, I mean, if you had to go to that one little platform, it was easier to jump. So I found myself using both FLUDD and Mario's own abilities.
However, if you by chance jumped too far or something, you could always save yourself with FLUDD, so FLUDD just made things easier IMO. And yet, Sunshine was still more challenging than Galaxy...

Edited on by Axoloth

I have a Backloggery now! Nothin' fancy, but feel free to add me as a friend.
[21:15] Axoloth joined the conversation
[21:16] Axoloth: I love you, dead chat
[21:17] dead chat runs away
[21:17] dead chat has left the convers...

Adam

Land on platforms with hover FLUDD is not hard. Otherwise it'd be pretty darn useless. You couldn't save yourself with FLUDD in your very own example if that were the case.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

cheetahman91

I'm not particularly fond of FLUDD.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

Kid_A

Chrono+Cross wrote:

@Kid_A
It's pointless to look for blue coins. It's a waste of time and it takes a lot of time to find them all when you could be playing a level.

It's not pointless because you get rewarded with a Shine Sprite! You could argue that it's pointless to do all the comets in SMG because all you get is a star. I guess we both have different definitions of "pointless"
It's laziness and makes the game look bad. Galaxy never did this and even SM64 didn't exactly do this, this bad.
See, I don't think it's lazyness. Nintendo tried to bring in a new gameplay concept, and a lot of people didn't like it. But I don't think it was lazy. The "easter egg hunt" has always been a part of the 3-D Mario gameplay--with Sunshine they just added in a new "easter egg" for people to find. Different strokes, I guess, but I actually enjoyed finding the blue coins.

"You go to a fun level to find the blue coins, and finding 10 of them really feels like an accomplishment"

So going to the same Level for the 9th time is fun to you when your attempting to find all of the blue coins when your more than likely not going to find them all in that attempt? Nice logic.
Well, again, it's just my opinion. I simply love all the levels in this game, so I had a great time exploring them--even if I did have to do it a lot. Most of the blue coins were pretty simple to find, IMO. The game has such incredible draw-distances that you can spot them a mile away. And what fun would the game be if you could find all the blue coins in a single run-through? You do want a challenge, right?

Kid_A

Chrono+Cross wrote:

Oh and did I mention that Sunshine's difficulty throws many gamers off with all the horrid camera angles that get you killed and the overall cheapness that occurs?
Didn't throw me off. Sunshine was the first game I ever beat 100%, and I never noticed any camera problems (but I was pretty young when it came out and didn't really pay attention to such things). I still think that Sunshine had a better camera than SM64. There are only two levels that I remember having problems with the camera--the pinball-like level with the 8 red coins, and the one in the amusement park where you have to climb the fences to get to the top of the ferris wheel. And what "cheepness" were you talking about?
A cool thing about Sunshine is that Yoshi is in it.

But wait a minute?
He dies when he touches water and SMS is engulfed in water. Now how stupid is that?
Stupid, or challenging? If you could take Yoshi absolutely everywhere it would make things way too easy. He jump like a madman and eat every enemy. If he could swim as well it would be too easy. What was stupid, in my opinion, was the "juice meter" that limited how much time you could ride Yoshi before he had to eat another fruit.

Chrono_Cross

Super Mario Galaxy's comet runs are not pointless due to the fact that your actually doing a fun level and enjoying yourself, rather than finding blue coins and spending hours of boredom doing so.

*It's not pointless because you get rewarded with a Shine Sprite! *
Nintendo are gods at making video games and they could have done something else rather than put blue coins in evry level for the hell of it, which is laziness.

And what "cheepness" were you talking about?
Hello? You played the game you should know all the cheap ways of dying in this pathetic excuse of a Mario game.

Stupid, or challenging? If you could take Yoshi absolutely everywhere it would make things way too easy. He jump like a madman and eat every enemy. If he could swim as well it would be too easy.
It'd be too easy? More like it'd actually give you a chance, rather than angering you. SMS angers me in everyway from stupid things like "Yoshi dies from touching water" to collecting "blue coins". I mean come on, Super Mario World didn't do this with Yoshi so why should Sunshine?

Just for you.

I think that Sunshine was the best in the series so far. It's soundtrack was great, and the level design was fantastic. The gameplay was good, FLUDD just takes some time getting used to. Super Mario 64 will always hold a special place in my heart, but it just doesn't stack up to Sunshine's precise...well, everything!

And as for Galaxy, jeez! What a big ol' mess.

Edited on by

Timwario

Anyone that hates super mario galaxy has to has digustingly awful gaming tastes, and probably has a microsoft bias.

Timwario

Is that right?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.