Forums

Topic: What Game are YOU currently playing?

Posts 3,701 to 3,720 of 3,887

subpopz

Switch - Just started Octopath Traveler (starting late cause I had to finish Ys VIII first). Love how this game looks.

PC - Wolfenstein: The New Order. As much as I wanted to support Wolfenstein on the Switch, I got the 3 new ones during a Steam sale about the same time New Colossus came out for Switch. I'm glad I did. Portable would be nice, but I honestly don't think I could play this with analog sticks, even supplemented with motion.

Switch - Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8D, NES Online (Dr. Mario only)
3DS -
PC - The Witcher 3, Nier: Automata, Mortal Kombat XL

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

Ralizah

@subpopz I like mouse aiming, but hate using the keyboard to control movement and whatnot, so I typically play FPS on PC with a gamepad, which... isn't ideal. Good motion controls are a great fix for this, though. Playing DOOM on the PC with the DS4's gyroscopic aiming enabled is pure bliss, especially considering you can use the mouse sensitivity settings to customize the feel of it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

subpopz

@Ralizah I got Doom on Switch and I got through it with motion controls and I appreciate the effort they put into it, but gamepads are just awful for me for FPS. Doom was a bit more forgiving as a lot of the targets were huge demons, so there was room for inaccuracy as you were likely to hit it somewhere. I don't think I would have enjoyed Wolfenstein at all with a pad, the human targets are way smaller than demons and I'd never get a headshot except via pure luck. Gamepads in FPS, to me, feels like trying to aim with an Etch A Sketch.
I agree on the keyboard bit, there's no analog control of speed and lacks the precision control a left analog provides. But the mouse to me is so superiour to the right analog that it trumps the loss of left analog.

What I would like to try, if it were possible, would be a Wii Nunchuk or a left Joycon for movement and the mouse for aiming/looking.

3DS -

Ralizah

@subpopz Agreed on the imprecision of right-stick aiming for shooting. It's why I play every FPS like Splatoon now (broad movements on the stick, homing in with motion). Even with aim assist, dual analog isn't great.

I tried playing Wolfenstein with M+K, but I found parts requiring multiple key presses (for example, running into a slide before jumping) almost impossible, so I just dealt with the lacking precision when playing on a controller in order to feel comfortable running around, jumping, etc.

Which is probably a big reason why I mostly ignored FPS games until now.

For context, I've been playing games with M+K for years. It's great for strategy games, civ building games, games like FTL, etc. But I've just never been able to get used to it with action and/or platforming titles, and purely because of the keyboard. I just can't grok keyboard movement.

I'm really, really hoping DOOM Eternal doesn't abandon Steam like Fallout 76 did.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

6ch6ris6

@Ralizah i prefer controller in shooting and asction games too. i am actually more precise with controller than with M+K

Steam: ACAB or 6ch6ris6
waiting for a pricedrop on switch

subpopz

@Ralizah That Wolfenstein running into a slide default was pretty bad. I had to remap those keys as I couldn't contort my hand to pull it off easily.
Action, platforming, basically anything other than FPS & sim-type games, I use a gamepad for on PC.

Something like this I think could be nice to get the best of both worlds. I'd like to find someone who has one or find one on display to see how it feels before dropping that kind of money on it in case I don't like it.
I could sit in my comfy chair with this on the left armrest and a mouse on the other.

3DS -

Ralizah

@subpopz I'm... not quite certain what I'm looking at. I've never seen anything like that before.

Anyway, I bought the Steam Controller years ago because it promised the best of both worlds, but I really, really dislike those touch-sensitive pads. It's a super-interesting design, but playing games with it is actively un-fun.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

CanisWolfred

6ch6ris6 wrote:

@Ralizah i prefer controller in shooting and asction games too. i am actually more precise with controller than with M+K

Same. I just don't find using a keyboard very comfortable in general (the normal way, at least, I just hover one hand over the keyboard so I can avoid most of that discomfort, while the other hand gets to rest or use the mouse. Doesn't work when I play games, though, since I can't just switch up mid-fight). I don't know what set up everyone else has, but I've never had the kind of room a mouse seems to demand in a high-octane setting. I always have to lift it up the thing and readjust it, and in a high octane action game that requires mouse aiming, my mouse rarely spends much time on the actual desk. My desk has a separate board underneath that I've tried to use, too, and that just makes the setup even worse - now either my hands are too low, or stretch out trying to reach the keyboard - either way, it just goes from "uncomfortable" to "unbearable." The best experience I've had was with a trackball mouse I bought from Best Buy 2 years ago, which circumvented the limited usability space issue all together. Problem is, that kind of mouse is pretty fragile and wears out quickly, while also being pretty expensive...I wound up going back to a laser mouse, since they were cheaper and I didn't have to replace them after 4-6 months...

I might consider getting a "gaming keypad" like the one @subpopz linked, though...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

SlimFreakinFast

I've been playing the absolute HELL out of of Etrian Odyssey V. Cannot put that game down.

3DS Friend Code: 2251-9111-5026
Switch Friend Code: 2633-3307-5709

I always enjoy a good conversation about vidya gamyez

subpopz

@Ralizah @CanisWolfred It's a nifty idea. It kinda sits like a stationary mouse (and is shaped kinda like one so it should be more comfy than a flat keyboard) for the left hand. Has keys for finger access and an analog for the thumb. It's looks like a really good idea, I just wonder if it's as good in practice.

I had the same mouse problems, @CanisWolfred. But the most recent one I got is programmable and has multiple DPI sensitivity settings which alleviated most of that, since the travel distance for the same movement is a lot less. Once the settings are set, I just change the DPI with a click of a button on the top of it behind the scroll wheel, so I can change it between game and normal modes. I can use it on the small area of my chair armrest now, even in intense games (I'm an armchair PC gamer, I don't sit at a desk)

3DS -

Ralizah

@SlimFreakinFast When I first got it, I cleared the first three stratums in about two weeks. When that series hooks me, it hooks me good.

Ralizah

CanisWolfred

@subpopz Seems to be out-of-stock in the US. I never heard of gaming keypads before, but Razer seems to be on cutting edge. I looked at a whole bunch online, and most of the others just looked like half a keyboard with varying degrees of ergonomic design. Only a few of them actually tried to make it a specialized tool, which is what I'm looking for. I might wait for a V3 or whatever, though. I've seen a few people note that the glue on the current Tartarus model degrades over a few months, turning it into a sticky mess. The D-Pads seems fairly low-quaility, though better than most others, as far as I've read...most don't even bother with a D-pad. The Logitech G13 is the only other competing brand that caught my eye, but it just looks too specialized and way too expensive for me to justify a purchase. I'm not going for the pro gaming curcuit, I just want PC gaming to be comfortable enough for me to actually wittle away at my massive backlog. Controllers won't help much in anything built for a mouse, and since I prioritized consoles, right now I have an awful lot of PC games that might never be played at this rate.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

SlimFreakinFast

@Ralizah man, does it ever! I think I'm going at about that same pace. I bought it on sale a few months back, finished Yo-kai Watch, and then blasted through the first two stratums and I'm currently working on the third. I love how you can tailor your party to perfectly work with eachother.

What characters were in your party?

Ralizah

@SlimFreakinFast From memory:

A Cannon Bearer Dragoon who prioritized throwing up bunkers and blasting bosses with a maxed out Buster Cannon (also maxed out Prep Artillery and Phys ATK Up)

An Impact Brawler Pugilist who was my main damage dealer and tore through bosses with two attack skills: early on, Thunder Fist; later game, Titan Killer. Always rocking a maxed out Overexertion for maximum effect, of course.

A Deathbringer Harbinger who was built for both good damage, debuffing, and inflicting status effects. Frigid Reap + consistent poisoning makes short work of enemies.

An Elemancer Warlock whose sole job was to keep spamming Clever Strike each turn (good damage output for less resource investment than trying to focus on elemental spells)

A Graced Poisoner Botanist who focused on healing and using a maxed out Smoke Bomb for good damage every now and then.

Given the lack of traditional classes in comparison to other games in the series, I couldn't just roll with my default party build I've always used in the past. It's a bit harder to cover your bases in this one with the diverse skillsets at play. So I wanted to create a party where everyone had good offensive potential, in addition to performing other necessary functions. Helped a ton for late-game boss fights, which get very tough.

I'm sure there are way more well-optimized parties built around chaining damage, but I found chain skills to be an annoyance, so I never used them.

Early game I had built my Pugilist for binds, but I found her potential as a raw damage-dealer was much more valuable. Especially if you go into battle prepared to use the union skill "chain blast" in the first turn, which is often a life-saver.

I don't think you've unlocked legendary names for your characters yet, but once you do, they dramatically increase the amount of customization involved.

If you ever want to play around with different builds without first committing to them, you could always use the EOV skill sim: https://waifusims.com/EOV/skillSim.html

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

NEStalgia

Just got into Octopath this past week, played it a little here and there and am absolutely loving it! Still wrapping up CH10 of XC2 as well. And intermittently fiddling with fighting games, the Forzas and random other games.

NEStalgia

SlimFreakinFast

@Ralizah That sounds wicked!

What I use is a Pugilist, Masurao, Fencer in the front row and shaman and warlock in the back row.

I named the Pugilist's legendary title Asura because he constantly belts out extra attacks. I use the hell out of Blood Wrath (where he attacks a random enemy when he takes damage) combined with Overexertion and Thunder Fist, plus One-Two-Punch combined with Double Punch or Corkscrew and he gets like 5 attacks each turn

The masurao is a Bladedancer. I generally Reblossom with Armor Pierce, Swallow Soar, or Whirlwind and she just tears things apart with her high damage output and insane number of attacks each turn with Hell Blade

The fencer's legendary title is called Soul King (in homage to Brook from One Piece). He's basically a chain machine! When combined with the multiple attacks from the Pugilist and the Masurao, he chains multiple times each round.

The Shaman is just called the Divine. He provides buffs each turn, from DEF to ATK and, once buffed, the characters heal a bit of the damage that they deal. That, combined with Appease Spirits (which provides HP with each character's turn) keeps them alive and well pretty much no matter what.

My warlock, just called Black Mage, spams elemental spells each turn. The Unity skill, Hex, also comes in handy with the Fencer's chains. With Hex, elemental attacks have a chance to cause a status ailment.

This game is just great. Depending on what skills you go for, your team becomes a well-oiled machine!

Anti-Matter

THIS !
Untitled

I'm in the Mission to get rid Grocks in the Baumkuch Base. This will gonna tough.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (99 / 100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4 (95 / 100)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 with all expansion packs and DLC (93 / 100)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90 / 100)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90 / 100)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

Vinny

Back to Odin Sphere on the Vita.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

ReaderRagfihs

The only constant for me in the Etrian Odyssey series is that I must have a character in my party named "Cow Patty".

Everything else is fair game.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread
Wii/DS games online post shutdown

FireMario887

Sonic Forces................... Oh wait, wrong topic. Sorry folks, can someone please direct me to what are YOU currently watching topic?

...............Jk, mostly.

FireMario887

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic