Forums

Topic: What Game are YOU currently playing?

Posts 3,521 to 3,540 of 3,688

Tyranexx

Golden Sun (Wii U VC) - A very interesting and (so far) fun RPG. Using and experimenting with Djinn is quite an experience, and the story is interesting (if not a little windy at times). I'm about eight hours in and last saved the game in Imil. I'll be catching up to Mia (and likely adding her to my party) during my next session.

Steamworld Dig (3DS) - I picked this up during the recent eshop sale. Needless to say that once I started playing it, it's been hard to put down at times. I never thought mining ore would be this much fun.

Video Corner: Every JRPG Ever
Currently playing: Twilight Princess HD, Ever Oasis

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

subpopz

Farcry 3 - PC
Trine - PC
Killer Instinct - PC

(I'm working on some of my Steam backlog )

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

MarcelRguez

@Tyranexx Those games are fantastic. About Golden Sun, keep in mind that it's relatively short by JRPG standards and that, plot-wise, the sequel is actually the second act of the first game. Without spoiling anything, the original climaxes at what would be the "mid-game climax" of other JRPGs (I like to compare it to the World of Ruin in FFVI). It's still a very satisfying experience and it's not like it ends abruptly, but if you want to experience the whole story, you'll want to play the sequel as well.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

gcunit

Dipping in and out of so many games at the moment...

First play of Splatoon 2 today - reason I never got too into the original was lack of off-tv play, so I'm loving how intuitive and easy it is in table-top mode with split joy-con. Played about 10 regular turf war battles and topped my team's scoreboard every single time - is it just me that cares about that or is just that other people don't get how to play it?

Getting back into Super Mario Odyssey having made the mistake of going after more moons than necessary on first playthrough and getting a bit jaded by it, now I'm picking up the pace a bit.

Received my PS Vita in the last week and loving how well the PS classics play on it. I'd bought a bunch for my PS3 but never got round to starting any of them, but Vita is perfect for them. Tried some Suikoden (seems legit good), Spyro, Crash Team Racing, and the first Jak & Daxter - all of which live up to their reputations on first impression. Also did a quick test of Vita's remote PS3 play, picking up my ICO save, and it seems perfectly playable to me. The odd stutter, but nothing that detracts from the added accessibility this could give me to my PS3 library.

Edited on by gcunit

Use the 'ignore' button, it works.

Currently playing: Rocket League; Splatoon 2; Super Mario Odyssey; Fire Emblem; Suikoden; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; Gravity Rush; Ratchet & Clank; Red Faction: Guerilla; Fez; FIFA 18

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

MarcelRguez

@gcunit You're just starting with Splatoon, I take it? Your score on the scoreboard is very dependent on your weapon class. Chargers will usually end up at the very bottom, for example, because the role of that weapon is not to ink as much turf as possible, but to neutralize threats. Rapid-fire weapons have an easier time making it to the top, generally speaking.

The same thing happened to me, I didn't understand what was happening until I began to try out different weapons and understood what they bring to the table a bit better.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Tyranexx

@MarcelRguez: Don't worry, I'm already planning on playing Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Part of my motivation for starting the first Golden Sun now (other than the fact that it's been sitting on my Wii U for ages) is that I'll be redeeming a discount voucher from My Nintendo for the second game that expires in about a month. I've always heard great things about the two GBA entries, and many seem to think The Lost Age is the best one.

Video Corner: Every JRPG Ever
Currently playing: Twilight Princess HD, Ever Oasis

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

MarcelRguez

@Tyranexx Glad to hear that! About which one's best, I think it's a bit of a toss-up. TLA can't beat the charm of the first game (and I like that cast better), but some of TLA's scenarios and story beats are more memorable, and the game feels even more "16-bit JRPG" than its predecessor. Can't go wrong with either one, really.

Be sure to get all djinn and beat the secret boss in the original before you password-transfer your progress to the sequel.

MarcelRguez

Anti-Matter

Super Mario ODYSSEY.

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

gcunit

@MarcelRguez I see. Thanks for the explanation. Doesn't seem all that 'balanced' for it to work like that, but now at least I finally know I'm not as naturally gifted at Splatoon as I thought

Currently playing: Rocket League; Splatoon 2; Super Mario Odyssey; Fire Emblem; Suikoden; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; Gravity Rush; Ratchet & Clank; Red Faction: Guerilla; Fez; FIFA 18

roy130390

@MarcelRguez The first entry is one of the few classic RPG that I completed 100%. I'm still surprised about how such a vast game was on the GBA and it's still one of my favourites to this day. I was never able to play the second and third one though, and for some reason everytime I planned playing them on my computer I always ended up doing something else. Probably because I'm not much of a PC gamer (even with a controller) and prefer consoles and handhelds.

@Tyranexx Enjoy it mate! I was never able to play the sequels but the first one was truly amazing.

Right now I'm still playing Monster Hunter Stories, trying to get everything to 100% completion while I wait for my copy of FE Warriors (which definitely has to arrive tomorrow). I finished all the new places and bosses added in post-game content and I'm enjoying PVP quite a lot. Every week or two new dlc arrives (new monsters, armor and tournaments) so it always feels like I have something to do and I'm having a blast experimenting with monsters and their elements. I have FF15, Skyrim and Dying Light too, but while I'm definitely enjoying those I just can't seem to put this game down.

Edited on by roy130390

roy130390

MarcelRguez

@gcunit No problem. And yeah, it's a bit of a bummer when you realize that haha.

@roy130390 Agree wholeheartedly, even if it's not my favorite JRPG on the system (that would be Mother 3). The main issue I have with these classic-style JRPGs is that most of them feel very generic and adhere to DQ's/FF's template a bit too much. Golden Sun does a well, but it brings enough new stuff to the table to have its own personality. Great games for sure.

MarcelRguez

Anti-Matter

Super Mario Odyssey, again.
I had reached Luncheon Kingdom.

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

Bunkerneath

The disturbing Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+, just can't stop playing it

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat

gcunit

@MarcelRguez But then what I don't get is, if using the default weapon achieves the best coverage and gets you the most experience points, why do people use anything else - where's the incentive?

MarcelRguez

@gcunit Same reason why people pick support roles in other games. Either it suits their playstyle better, or that mode, or their team. Reusing the example of the charger, there are entire games that we shouldn't have won if it were by our skill level alone, but just because we had a really good charger on our team, it cleared the way for the rest of us to press on. In the end, even if you cover the most turf on your team, it"s not much use if you lose.

Another example: in ranked, there's a mode called Splat Zones in which your team needs to keep a certain area of the map covered on your ink for a certain amount of time in order to win. When I was starting, I brought a blaster to that mode, because most novices tend to make the mistake of staying within the splat zone, which means it was easier to stay out of their range and bazooka them from afar.

That said, the game is not perfectly balanced by any means, and one reason why it isn't is the maps themselves. There are maps to which I don't bring a roller, for example, because I'd just be cannon fodder for longer-ranged weapons. There's lots of variables to it all, and part of the game is learning multiple weapons, knowing what works and what doesn't on each map and making sure you fit your role correctly.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

RancidVomit86

Been playing a lot of Killing Floor 2. It's just all out chaotic fun.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Ralizah

GoNNER (still trying to beat second boss room in my runs) and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (after spending days cleaning up various side quests, I think I'm going to focus on progressing the story for a while). I also plan on starting a game on PC or PS4 tonight. Oxenfree, Yakuza 0, Doki Doki Literature Club... something along those lines.

Oh, and it won't be long before I'm the proud owner of a digital copy of Mighty Gunvolt Burst.

So, as usual, bouncing from game to game in rapid succession like some sort of maniac.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

EdFairway

Majora's Mask 3D. Bizarre and darker than any other Zelda

Edited on by EdFairway

Based on the wisdom of Carlin: "You're born into this world with a ticket to the show. When you get an internet connection, you have a front row seat"

RancidVomit86

@Ralizah It must be Yakuza 0

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic