Forums

Topic: What are your religious views?

Posts 321 to 340 of 340

V8_Ninja

I only believe in one things, and that thing is...

Untitled

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

zezhyrule

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@ByDarwinsBeard: I find that very interesting. I also grew up in a family professing to be Christian and going to church, but I would hesitate to say I was a very good Christian at the time, or even that I had any real faith at all. That all changed when I visited a friend's church, now my home church. Now I can combine the knowledge I built up over the years with real faith.

I'm going to strongly disagree that a scientific view could possibly point to anything BUT the existence of a Creator, though. Everything I see in the world, plus the mere fact that I CAN see it, is simply too wildly improbable to explain any other way. The wonder of creation is a means to increase the awe at God's majesty and power...it's Satan who wants to deceive people into thinking it came about any other way; a dangerous road indeed.

/me presses 'like' button

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

Noire

I believe in the Great Black Dragon Goddess. :3

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

Noire

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@Feenie: And here I thought you listed something Mia-related...

Baaaaaah, It'd be Jenna as you well know, and as I think I may have already mentioned her in this thread... no need to overkill, right?

There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

CanisWolfred

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

I'm going to strongly disagree that a scientific view could possibly point to anything BUT the existence of a Creator, though. Everything I see in the world, plus the mere fact that I CAN see it, is simply too wildly improbable to explain any other way.

Ironically, I'd have to agree with this statement. Or rather, I can't disagree with it. Currently, No scientist can properly and definitively explain how the universe came into existance. Even the Big Bang theory is insufficient, because even if it were absolutely true, where did the "proto universe" come from, and what caused it to suddenly expand? We'll probably never get the data to answer that, so There's always the chance that it could've been caused by a higher power. Therefore, it is unlikely that science will ever be able to disprove creationism.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Noire

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@Feenie: Whoops, I meant Jenna! No idea where "Mia" came from just there.

lol no prob, it still got us to the right place :3

But yes, I believe in two goddesses of the sexy, and if you mouth off about either of 'em it's time for me to highkick somebody's face. :kungfuface:

ByDarwinsBeard

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@ByDarwinsBeard: I find that very interesting. I also grew up in a family professing to be Christian and going to church, but I would hesitate to say I was a very good Christian at the time, or even that I had any real faith at all. That all changed when I visited a friend's church, now my home church. Now I can combine the knowledge I built up over the years with real faith.

I'm going to strongly disagree that a scientific view could possibly point to anything BUT the existence of a Creator, though. Everything I see in the world, plus the mere fact that I CAN see it, is simply too wildly improbable to explain any other way. The wonder of creation is a means to increase the awe at God's majesty and power...it's Satan who wants to deceive people into thinking it came about any other way; a dangerous road indeed.

The issue isn't with science disproving the existence of a creator, that's not possible, you can't prove a negative. The issue is that the burden of proof for the existence of a creator has not been met by any means. If you can provide any real compelling evidence for the existence of a god, or that the bible is anything but a series of fables, some loosely based around historical events, I'd certainly like to see it, but you would be the first to do so.

I believe our future depends powerfully on how well we understand this cosmos,
in which we float like a mote of dust in the morning sky.
-Carl Sagan

PSN/XBL: ByDarwinsBeard
Monster Hunter Tri - Name: Panza - ID: NG5FJA

Tsuchinoko

@Mickymac You run into the same argument with the higher power theory as you do with the big bang theory. Either way, you don't know what created the original progenitor. Yes, you can answer away the proto-universe thing by saying a "higher power" created it, but what created the higher power? And saying a higher power is infinate is just a lazy way of saying you don't know. This answer doesn't work for me.

oh, and Flying Spaghetti Monster BTW, just in case anyone asked. The creator is a divine, wonderous being indeeeeed. haha

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Stuffgamer1

@ByDarwinsBeard: That would kind of defeat the purpose of faith, now wouldn't it? Even Douglas Adams had that one right.

Fact is, though, that it requires just as much faith to argue AGAINST Creation by God as it does to argue FOR it, if not more, simply because of the way nature points.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Spoony_Tech

@ByDarwinsBeard. Funny thing is science gets disproved ever day as our knowledge of our existence grows. How can you not see the things of the Bible become more and more real as we near Christ second coming. It says in the Bible all things that were once right are now becoming wrong in today's society! That's just one of the many things that proves that the Bible is real. I'm a born again Christian and the more I read the Bible the more I believe in its truths. Not a knock on your knowledge but Darwin was also a Christian and did not believe his theory to be true. If he would have understood that we would have used his theory to be science then he might have never said anything at all. The power of prayer does work and the lord has always taken care of my needs!

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

ByDarwinsBeard

Tsuchinoko wrote:

@Mickymac You run into the same argument with the higher power theory as you do with the big bang theory. Either way, you don't know what created the original progenitor. Yes, you can answer away the proto-universe thing by saying a "higher power" created it, but what created the higher power? And saying a higher power is infinate is just a lazy way of saying you don't know. This answer doesn't work for me.

Not to mention that the big bang theory doesn't state that the universe came from nothing. The big can can be traced back to a point called the Planck Era, or Planck Time. This is the first minuscule instant of time, and before that it is currently imposable to measure back any further than that, and we may never be able to. before that point the very idea of time and "something" may very will be irrelevant. so, yeah, we don't know exactly how the universe began, but that doesn't mean there is any justification to insert a deity to explain it.
Even if they can disprove all of science, they still have to prove their god.

I believe our future depends powerfully on how well we understand this cosmos,
in which we float like a mote of dust in the morning sky.
-Carl Sagan

PSN/XBL: ByDarwinsBeard
Monster Hunter Tri - Name: Panza - ID: NG5FJA

HolyMackerel

I don't subscribe to any religion. I find it particularly interesting that the human race got along pretty well before people started enforcing structured belief patterns upon one another. It's also interesting to follow the twists and turns of the larger belief systems through history. That said, religion works very well for those who benefit from it so I would never turn anyone away from their beliefs.

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

Everything I see in the world, plus the mere fact that I CAN see it, is simply too wildly improbable to explain any other way.

Well that's very debatable, but rather too involved to discuss here. A thought experiment done by Christian philosopher René Descartes (intending to guarantee the existence of God) turned out unable to prove that it was not a devil manipulating his perceptions to see and experience the world as he perceived it. (His only conclusion was, famously, I think, therefore I am.) It's a well-known thought experiment that is still unprovable.

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

The wonder of creation is a means to increase the awe at God's majesty and power...it's Satan who wants to deceive people into thinking it came about any other way; a dangerous road indeed.

While I can understand the faith behind your sentiments, the Satan statement is jumping too far to conclusions imo. It's too broad a statement to be useful or justifiable. One would only be able to know that for sure if one had a dialogue with Satan (assuming his existence) to specify his intentions, rather than making assumptions. And that would be a rather, er, interesting dialogue. O_o

Isn't it wonderful that, if there really is a God, he gave us the ability to reason and discuss such things, and that we have so much freedom that we could deny him if we choose so.

HolyMackerel

Tsuchinoko

@Bydarwinsbeard Hence the Flying Spaghetti Monster reference.

One of the main problems I have with organized religion in general is that most of the arguments that some religious people, namely certain sects of protestantism, try to prove their beliefs in the most general, obscure way that really could apply to just the existance in a thinking force in general. I've already seen people in THIS thread also say that because the universe can't be created from nothing, science can't be proven and all that, "God" must exist. Singular, , masculine pronoun, capitalized G God. The problem is, you're using these arugments to try and prove a specific deity exists, but these arguments are so general they could apply to really anything. For all we know you're proving the existance of something that created us, and we were farted into existance by a giant purple cat.

Most people disprove science, but they aren't proving their specific diety, which is kind of a backwards argument. Its anthropomorphizing very general things to fit personal preferences and biases.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.