Forums

Topic: What are you listening to right now?

Posts 341 to 360 of 2,088

Forgotten_Arctic

CONTAINS EXPLICIT LANGUAGE

Edited on by Forgotten_Arctic

Nothing is better than playing a game and having a character say something like, "What was your name again? I forgot. Oh! Forgotten!"

Forgotten Arctic

3DS Friend Code: 3154-0349-0002 | My Nintendo: Forgotten | Nintendo Network ID: forgottenarctic

PCkid

@BougieBeetle I'm absolutely sure of that.

That man ripped so much things that it's insane.
Have a look at "What's the buzz" from Jesus Christ Superstar...

Do you feel like a plumber being invisible after a touch on a star item ? LOL

@bimmy-lee I love France ! Wine, cheese, baguette and Debussy !

PCkid

DenDen

Stone sour - reborn

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

BougieBeetle

@Ryu_Niiyama Thanks for the recommendations! Just got done listening to La Stravaganza, indeed a great piece. I'll have to work my way through all those Haydn quartets!

I never played strings myself but if I ever had inordinate amounts of time and money I'd love to learn the cello. I played trumpet in high school band, but I was never very good at it. Now I just whistle.

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

BougieBeetle

@PCkid That's another interesting one! Again, not sure if I'd say "theft" or "inspiration" but either way it's clear where Mr. Kondo got the idea.

One I noticed recently comes from Mort Garson's Plantasia, an influential electronic album from 1976. Check out 13:14 (Concert For Philodendron & Pothos) and tell me if you don't hear a certain princess' lullaby...

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

Ryu_Niiyama

@BougieBeetle No problem. I never get to talk music with anyone. My tastes are too out there I guess. (which is weird. I grew up on 90's alternative rock and lite grunge...and jpop.)

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

PCkid

@BougieBeetle WOW, it's again a pure plagiarism if you want my advice.

I really appreciate Debussy and trust me, Kondo like him really much too, especially in some Zelda's tracks.

Debussy rêverie and a certain "end theme" from A Link to The Past for example.

Koji KonLOL.

PCkid

PCkid

Another "inspiration" ? Hell yeah, no doubt about it.

This is a song from the year 1982, so way before the fairy theme... starts at 0:54.

PCkid

BougieBeetle

@PCkid Lol, I'm enjoying hearing all these! I think, in fairness to Mr. Kondo, you could probably do this with a lot of modern video game (or film) composers. Musicians often incorporate things they've heard, whether consciously or unconsciously, and the standard for music plagiarism (at least in the United States) is fairly high. John Williams' Imperial March from Star Wars is rather infamously similar to Mars from The Planets, for example.

Even classical composers did it, though. Check out Tortoises from Carnival of the Animals, it's just a slower tempo version of Infernal Gallop by Offenbach (aka the French Can Can).

BougieBeetle

@Ryu_Niiyama Most of my friends' eyes glaze over when I start to talk about classical music, lol. But I also grew up on alt rock and classic rock (favorite band was They Might Be Giants), and of course video game soundtracks. I didn't get into classical music until relatively recently.

bimmy-lee

@PCkid - This is the lamest possible conversation to have here. All art is inspired by other art. If you can accept that, maybe you could appreciate that Kondo brought variations on classical compositions to video games, which is pretty amazing actually. If you were to compose a song, or program a game, would it be completely new and ground breaking, unlike anything the world has ever heard or seen, or would it be inspired by every piece of art you’ve ever admired?

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

PCkid

@BougieBeetle That's great ! I knew for Holst and Williams but never payed attention to Galop Infernal and Tortoises !
And you're absolutely right about plagiarism all over the place. There is a band that trillions of people simply adore like thy are gods blah blah blah... MUSE.

Listen Bliss from 2009

And now, the music from TOP GEAR from 1992

And a mashup of the two tunes

@bimmy-lee inspired, inspired, inspired...ehmmm the nice way to say stolen...

Edited on by PCkid

PCkid

bimmy-lee

@PCkid - Or is “stolen from” an ignorant way to say “inspired by”? This conversation your pushing is reminiscent of an angsty teen who just realized their favorite DJ or hip hop group has been sampling Blue Note jazz tracks. Have you just now realized that everything is everything else? You, me, everyone else... we cannot create something original as we’re completely defined by our past experiences and influences. Some creations vary further from their inspirations, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are inspired. Most artists are eager to talk about the artists who inspired them. If you truly feel this way, then it should be impossible for you to appreciate anything other than maybe early humans clacking rocks and sticks together around a fire.

limby-bee was a jerk.

bimmy-lee

@PCkid - That makes no sense. By all means, continue this stolen music conversation you’re having with yourself.

limby-bee was a jerk.

PCkid

@bimmy-lee From my perspective, what makes no sense is your ideology.
Experience in life a little more bimmy and you'll see the light...

PCkid

bimmy-lee

@PCkid - Not to worry, I’m always in search of new life experiences. It’s been my experience that experiences lead to this ideology. One of the first things an experienced art/music/writing instructor will teach us is that there are no new ideas. Instead, they encourage us to put our own spin (guided by our own influences and experiences) into the long existing themes of mankind. I’m not the only person here who has mentioned this, I’m just the only one outwardly annoyed thumbing through lame YT videos to follow an actually interesting conversation about classical compositions. A conversation you’re trying to derail with your mission to discredit Koji Kondo. These videos are obvious in the same way that stating a Switch port looks/runs better on other platforms is obvious, which you also like to do. It’s base.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic