Forums

Topic: What are you listening to right now?

Posts 161 to 180 of 2,108

Jhena

Being an alien is the best. Life is too unlimited to be normal and there are too many worlds to visit to stay in one place^^

materia-aliens

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

RancidVomit86

On PUBG tonight like

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

BanjoPickles

I've been listening to a lot of Tom Petty over the past few days. He's an interesting artist in that I prefer his latter-day albums (1994-2014) to his earlier, more popular work. Wildflowers, Highway Companion, Mojo, and Hypnotic Eye are all superb!

I tend to do this with artists, after they pass. I delve deep into their bodies of work. I did it with Leonard Cohen, David Bowie, Prince, and now I'm doing the same thing with Tom Petty. It's funny because even though he was very successful, I also think that he was also vastly underrated!

BanjoPickles

bimmy-lee

@BanjoPickles - You’ve had no shortage of music to listen to in 2017 if you’re doing retrospectives when an artist passes! I just listened to Full Moon Fever with my daughter this week. That’s my favorite Petty album, but I agree that his late career work was every bit as good as his early and mid work. I’d add the She’s the One soundtrack to your fine list of albums. The couple Traveling Wilburys’ albums are also fine additions to any collection.
Edit - It IS amazing that he was so prolific and well known, yet he’s probably not on many “favorite artist ever” lists. Just good, simple rock and roll. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing too mindblowing, but you’d be hard pressed to find a more consistently good discography.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

JoeDiddley

Misplaced the eponymous Rage Against The Machine album, so a bit of John Coltrane

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

BanjoPickles

@bimmy-lee

Absolutely! There is always a treasure trove of music, just waiting to be unearthed. Full Moon Fever was really good, as was TW Volume 1 (I never could warm up to Volume 3).

I think what makes him great is the character in his voice. There's just a likeable element to his music. It wasn't designed to be flashy, or ahead of the curve. Like you said, just good old rock and roll that you can chill out to.

BanjoPickles

Octane

@bimmy-lee As much as I'm a fan of all the member of the Traveling Wilburys, it has to be one of the most inconsistent music groups when it comes to quality and sound. It's all over the place! Hearing Roy Orbison's golden voice being followed up by whatever sounds Bob Dylan is producing is always been a bit of a mood killer. I preferred Dylan's earlier works. I have no idea what happened in the late 70s/early 80s, but it didn't do his singing any favours IMO.

Octane

spizzamarozzi

bimmy-lee wrote:

@spizzamarozzi - I have Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous on vinyl. Real nice live album. I’ve listened to a fair amount of Chet Powers and Quicksilver Messenger Service as well. The others are hard to make out, but I’m real curious about top row, third from the left. I’m curious about them all actually. I don’t recognize the other covers, but I could have listened to them.

@bimmy-lee top row, third from the left is a record called Gil & Jorge by Gilberto Gil and Jorge Ben, two brazilian guitar heavyweights. It's a superb record of dueling spanish guitars and wild, sciamanic brazilian vocals. I highly recommend you listen to it -
here's a track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL-MWkMb07A

the other albums are:

top row, left to right:
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum (1968, terrific proto-metal from San Francisco)
Alexander 'Skip' Spence - Oar (1969, psychedelic songwriter and lunatic, sort of an american Syd Barrett)
Gilberto Gil & Jorge Ben - Gil & Jorge (1975)
Les Rallizes Denudes - Yodo-Go-A-Go-Go [Flightless Bird] (collection of demos from legendary japanese noise rockers - the cover depicts the japanese airplane that was hijacked by a group of red army terrorists which included the bassist from the band)

bottom row, left to right:
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous (1978)
Dino Valente - Dino Valente (1968, reverb drenched singer-songwriter from the east coast)
Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails (1969, a piece of San Francisco psychedelic history)
Arthur Brown - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown (1968, british lunatic that fused theatrical performance with psychotic sound collages)

As the end of the year is the worst time to import records from oversea (everything gets lost in the post during Christmas), I'll have to make do with what I find in the shops/fleamarkets at least until mid-January. And then I'll have to build a new set of shelves for 2018...

Edited on by spizzamarozzi

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

bimmy-lee

@Octane - I have a couple exceptionally unpopular music opinions, and one of them is that I just don’t care for Bob Dylan. I don’t know what he’s good at other than writing songs. I recognize his place in music and cultural history, but I just don’t care for or listen to his music. That’s just me, and I’m happy for the vast majority of people who enjoy his music. So I don’t think he really has any business being in the band, but if he had to be; he should have been relegated to rhythm guitar and song writing. I’m a huge Roy Orbison fan, and I don’t think really anyone had any business on the microphone when he was in the room. All that being said, I still really enjoy TW Volume One. Like @BanjoPickles, I’ve never really warmed to Volume Three, but I feel like it has a place in my collection as a musical oddity.

@JoeDiddley - Haha, a natural next choice when Rage isn’t handy. Live at Birdland?

@spizzamarozzi - An exciting list to check out. After getting the list, I still only knew about the the artists I previously mentioned. I followed the YT link to Gilberto Gil and Jorge Ben. Splendid. I will delve into them together and individually. Thanks.

limby-bee was a jerk.

JoeDiddley

@bimmy-lee Live At The Village Vanguard. I do love Dylan, but then I also love Roy. I have a Roy mug at my desk at work.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

BanjoPickles

@bimmy-lee

And I'm of the opposite opinion. Dylan was my second musical love (after the Beatles). I totally get why he's divisive, and his 80's output was mostly bad (save for Infidels and Oh Mercy). Blood on the Tracks, Desire, Street Legal, Time Out of Mind, and Love and Theft are some of my favorite albums.

That's the beauty of music, though. We all hear different things.

BanjoPickles

bimmy-lee

I’ve started my yearly month long run of Christmas music today. Bing Crosby, Mariah Carey, Johnny Cash, Mannheim Steamroller, Phil Spector comp, choir music, I love it all.

@JoeDiddley - Black Bayou. Live Coltrane is hard to beat. Pretty magical.

@BanjoPickles - Yeah, I think I picked the most divisive way possible to say that I don’t really choose to play Dylan, but he certainly doesn’t cause me to leave the room or change the station. I had a long run with him when I was younger and finding my footing musically outside the bounds of radio pop, and then I just sort of filed him away after that. Seeing that list of albums makes me feel kind of silly. There’s so much to like musically that it’s a waste to talk about what I don’t like. I have a couple other whoppers of “don’t really care for their music” that I’ll try to keep private as it doesn’t really accomplish anything constructive.

limby-bee was a jerk.

BanjoPickles

@bimmy-lee

Haha! Yeah, I have my own list of whoppers! One of my good friends gives me grief because I'm not a fan of:

-Steely Dan
-Radiohead (the exception being The Bends)
-Nirvana (my least favorite of all of the big Seattle bands)
-The Who (with the exception of Quadrophenia, which also had a lot of filler)
-Bjork (her music does nothing for me)
-The Black Keys (I appreciate what they do, but it doesn't do much for me).

I think that I reached a point, some years back, where I realized that there isn't really a wrong way to listen to music. I mean, my favorite album of 2013 was Paul McCartney's New! Haha! Yes, he's recorded better albums, better songs, but I needed to hear that album at that specific time (I had just moved cross country, I didn't know anybody, and New was the sort of sunny/happy/familiar album I needed). As corny as it sounds, music is meant to be the universal language, and I love that people can make suggestions, discuss the merits of different artists, and peacefully meet in the middle. 🙂

BanjoPickles

bimmy-lee

@BanjoPickles - I like that McCartney album too, and I know so many people who can’t stand it who are otherwise Beatles/McCartney fans. My wife and I moved cross country once, so I can relate to that feeling of isolation/what have we done? I’m totally with you on Nirvana. They’re one of my whoppers. Dave Grohl’s drumming is otherworldly, but other than that, there’s nothing there for me at all beyond a bit of the old nostalgic time machine effect. I started out loving the Black Keys, and then pretty quickly turned on them, though I still give that hip hop collaboration a spin from time to time. Can’t think of the name of it right now.

It is great how music seems to be one of the last mediums where people can generally agree to disagree. I guess maybe it’s because even music we don’t like can still speak to us on some sort of primitive level. One time though, a guy wanted to fight me because I don’t like Tupac. Alcohol was involved, and we were both being belligerent. We shook hands the next day and agreed to disagree.

limby-bee was a jerk.

RancidVomit86

Drop so hard. RL Grime always killing it.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic