Forums

Topic: What are you listening to right now?

Posts 101 to 120 of 2,108

bimmy-lee

@MegaTen - Thanks, my intention was to highlight the uplifting power of music. I agree, we’re all resonating our own little song. If you’re tuned in, it’s beautiful music. Glad to see you back here posting about music and life.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

spizzamarozzi

I think our Noel wanted to do his own version of a Chemical Bros./Goldie/Gorillaz kind of tune but presented as if it were The Great Gig in the Sky, cos everything he does he think it's "psychedelic" now.
Not really digging the tune, it's a bit empty but it's still better than the first single "Holy She Bangs Mucky Fingers Mountain". The video is boss though but the song sounds like Ubisoft advertisement music.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

bimmy-lee

I’ve been listening to Earth A.D. / Die, Die My Darling by Misfits steadily since Halloween. Great album. It’s always within arm’s reach, but I’ve been playing it heavily for the horror themes. Death Comes Ripping into Green Hell is as good as it gets, and both were covered (not nearly as well) by Metallica. I love the couple Glenn Danzig Misfits albums, but I’m completely out on Jerry Olney Misfits.

@spizzamarozzi - Let me preface by saying I realize this is a bit absurd and on a whim, but ever since your first post here mentioning Nirvana (UK), I’ve been digging around my collection for a wonderful compilation album of US/UK underground psychedelic rock. I acquired it years ago, and now I can’t find it. So here’s the absurd part. Any idea what I’m talking about? It had a lot of bands I’d previously never heard of, and it was a gem. I think it even had a Nirvana tune. I’m only asking because you seem well versed in the genre, and I can’t imagine there are that many comps of underground psych out there. Could be way wrong though.

limby-bee was a jerk.

bimmy-lee

@SMEXIZELDAMAN - Beautiful. Who are the musicians? It sounds familiar in the last six or seven minutes, but I can’t place it.

@Anti-Matter - Great video. Talented pop and lockers, and I love, love, love the MJ mural.

limby-bee was a jerk.

spizzamarozzi

@bimmy-lee there's actually a ton of underground psych out there, mostly collecting bands that only had a handful of 45s out - very underground stuff. It would help immensely if you could at least remember one artist for sure, or a song, so we could at least narrow it down to a specific theme/geographic location/label. Most of these compilations, though different, tend to have certain key artists. Was it vinyl or CD? The most commercially successful psych compilation was "Nuggets - Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era", which was reprinted numerous times and easily available in shops - maybe that found a way into your collection?!

However I have uploaded a picture listing all the various artist compilations that feature a Nirvana UK track, please take a look.

Edited on by spizzamarozzi

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

bimmy-lee

@spizzamarozzi - Wow, I should have known there was a wealth of comps out there. I started researching from the top of the list you provided and found it pretty early. I believe it’s Illusions From the Crackling Void. My copy is a CD. I bought it loose from its case at a trade show. The vendor didn’t know much about it other than that he enjoyed it. iTunes couldn’t read it (I don’t think it’s a bootleg, but seemed like a CD from early in the medium), so I’ve never gotten the playlist and didn’t take time to do internet research when it was in my possession. I lost track of it long enough ago now that I couldn’t remember the title. Unfortunately, I don’t think I have it anymore. I’ve looked just about everywhere. I have a habit of loaning albums and instantly forgetting who I loaned them to. Maybe I’ll find it years from now and think of you. I do have a copy of Nuggets, very good. Thanks so much for spending some time looking it up. I suppose I could have done the same thing, but then I would have missed out on some decent human interaction.

Edit - The only reason I knew Nirvana was on the comp was because the disc was sealed in a plastic bag with a hand written sticker saying something like, “Rare Psychedlic Rock featuring Nirvana”. I never even knew which track was actually Nirvana. The reason I bought it was because I had seen some Nirvana vinyl at the same show a year prior. They were quite pricey and seemed to be causing a bit of a stir. My interest was piqued.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

SMEXIZELDAMAN

@bimmy-lee Idk m8 but the piece is Antonin Dvorak's "American" Quartet; Flute concerto number 12. in f major, I think.

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

bimmy-lee

@SMEXIZELDAMAN - Thanks, I guess it only sounds familiar then, as I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly listened to one of his arrangements. My daughter and I listen to classical during her art time. We’ll check his stuff out.

limby-bee was a jerk.

SMEXIZELDAMAN

@bimmy-lee It's a very popular piece and I wouldn't be surprised if you'd just heard it randomly somewhere.

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

bimmy-lee

@MegaTen - If you, or anyone else, ever have the time to post something here on the topic of techno (sorry if that’s a blanket/ignorant term) and it’s sub genres, I would find it fascinating. Sort of something along the lines of “techno for beginners” is what I mean. I don’t care if it’s a long essay, a short dive into the subject, or a link to a good read; I would devour it. I’ve been exposed to more music that I enjoy within the genre in the the last couple months in this forum than the entirety of my life prior, and I would really like more information.

One thing that has interested me so far is that someone (I think it was you) posted a video that included some clips from a Belgian news story from the late 80s with video inside different clubs highlighting a new sub genre/dance craze/sub culture, and I really enjoyed it. The music in the video really reminded me of stuff I heard in the late 80s and early 90s here in the states in the form of bass tapes. Bass tapes were a bit of a blip on the radar here, they were produced to maximize amped up vehicle sound systems. My neighbor was really into the whole scene, and I used to help him tweak his system and listen to the results with him. I think I may have been listening to stolen techno music from across the pond, overlayed with some vocals (often stolen from early rap), and heavily produced for the sole purpose to crush speaker boxes and subs. Most of the tapes he had were seriously bootleg, and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if every bit of music on them was taken from multiple genres and mixed together to make the tape. I’ve always meant to research it.

Edit - And it’s fine if you don’t have the time/desire to do that too. I’m not trying to pressure you into educating me.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

bimmy-lee

@MegaTen - Totally understand. If/when it shows up, I’ll read it.

limby-bee was a jerk.

bimmy-lee

@MegaTen - Thank you, it’s honestly and truly an honor to be on that list. I enjoy every one of your posts. They teach me about music, and I am grateful for that.

@roy130390 - Man oh man did I go through a long, dark Soundgarden run after Cornell passed. I think he’s a Freddy Mercury level vocal talent. Screaming Life through Superunknown is one of the great studio album lineups in the history of music in my opinion. One of the quintessential bands in the brief but wonderful grunge movement. Alice In Chains as well. I was lucky to be in my formative years when great albums were getting churned out of the Northwest non stop. A great time to be alive. I juuuust listened to Core last weekend. Purple is probably my favorite STP album (saw them live on that tour), but Core is just hardcore rock and roll.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Linked2thaPast

I've actually been listening to the rock and roll pioneers recently. Mainly leadbelly, howling wolf and a little bit of woody Guthrie and hank Williams.

Linked2thaPast

roy130390

@bimmy-lee Wow, great taste and knowledge! Same here mate, I really regret that I had the opportunity to go see Cornell when he was with Audioslave and I didn't. I hope that Eddie stays with us for a long time, there has been too much loss when it comes to grunge. I really envy you, I was never able to see any of them live...
I think I'm the same, Purple is probably my favourite but man, i definitely see why Core is the most popular. When Scott was in his best moments, he was definitely something else.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

StephenYap3

I'm listening to the Level 5 music from Super Bomberman 4. I dunno why, it just sounds good.

StephenYap3

bimmy-lee

@Linked2thaPast - I’m starting to feel like I’m stalking this forum today, but I just can’t let those mentions slip by without giving you a big thumbs up. You’ll probably never hear finer 12 string guitar work than Leadbelly. If rock and roll is a tree, he’s one of the roots. Possibly the tap root. Every one of his songs is a story. They’ve been covered by everyone from Cream to Nirvana. Hank Sr. might be just as influential. You’re listening to the roots of modern music as we know it. It’s the absolute apex of my musical interests.

Edit - My daughter’s first album was Leadbelly Sings for Children.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic