Forums

Topic: We found the stray dogs owner...

Posts 1 to 5 of 5

Retrowire

This is an update to my original thread: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/general_discussion/stray_d...

Again, thanks to everyone for your advice and though we truly fell in love with the dog within those 5 days of keeping her, we located her owner and reunited the two. Our neighbors are the ones that found the lost dog flyer and gave it to us. The german shepherd certainly did look like the one in the photo, the flyer also mentioned in BIG BOLD letters that "WITHOUT DAILY MEDICATION SHE WILL NOT SURVIVE." We had a feeling that she had some sort of condition, so we did some research and found that she has a common German Shepherd disorder called EPI. It has to do with weak pancreas, and because of it, anything she eats, never gives her ENOUGH nutrients so she's ALWAYS hungry.

Either way, we were disheartened because we did love the dog, but we knew it was best to give her back to her family.

The troubling thing is, that the owner was a complete jackdonkey.

When I first called him, he answered the phone. He was a fast talking southern man. Quite rude, he was the type that doesn't want to give you any room to speak. When I tried to just inform him that his dog is happy and healthy he was quick to disregard my words and say whatever he wanted to say. He told me that he would come by at 1:00pm that day to pick up his dog after work so I just assumed that he was rushing to get to work. I can understand that, maybe he's a busy guy.

So 1:00pm arrives and so does he. He's got a nice, clean expensive looking truck. His hair is buzzed short, he wears Oakley shades. This man is obviously well off. Either way, I approach the man and shake hands, I tell him that the dog is in a kennel in the back and I try to lead him to her. He says, "Oh no problem, just let her out." I figure, well the man is on strange property, I wouldn't follow me into the backyard either. I go to my wife who is with the dog and ask her to let the dog out, she does and as expected, the dog runs around the house, to the owner. I couldn't see the owner from here, he did speak in a friendly way with the dog, but he quickly got her in the bed of his truck.

We came around with her old collar, the old orange, busted, loose one that was dangling off of her neck the day she arrived. I told him, "You can keep the new collar we got her, it fits her well." he said, "Nah, it's fine." He removed the collar and handed it back to me, took the old one and put it around her neck. I then offered the toy rope bone that we got her as a free item to take with him, I tried handing it directly to her and she tried taking it, but he said no. The dog was whining and crying. I know that could've been because of excitement of being with the new owner, but she was paying way more attention to my wife and I than him.

My wife tried explaining to him that we kept her fed and watered, gave her exercise everyday but he was always quick to interrupt her with things like, "I bought this dog for $3000 dollars from the Czech Republic." and "You know if you just let her go she would've found her way home." He was speaking of this dog as if she were a status symbol, a luxury item. He was talking to us as if we were criminals who had stolen his dog! Let her go? She was roaming the environment for 2 days alone before we found her and took her in, I don't think she intended on "coming home" and even if she was, it only takes less than a day for a car to hit your nice $3000 dollar imported dog. He seemed so ungrateful. We spent time, money, energy on his dog, his "property" and he just says things like that?

After all was said and done, the man shook my hand again, said "Preciate' it. Thanks." and got in his truck and drove off. It was over in less than 5 minutes. My wife started to cry. I felt a little empty. We told ourselves that if the man doesn't at least say "Thank you" then we'd say something about it. But he did in a way. It just didn't feel right. We felt as if he just came by, took his dog back and left. I know he didn't state a reward in the lost dog ad, but if you were told that a stranger fed your dog, gave it a new collar and toys, you should at least offer to compensate the cost of those things.

In the end, the whole experience just left a sour taste in my mouth. Anyways, I just thought I'd update everyone that was engaged in the previous thread about the incident.

Retro Gaming Enthusiast. Nintendo Fan. Amateur Video Game Historian. Electronics Hobbyist.

Tasuki

So in the end it all worked out then. Its nice to know when a pet is reunited with its owner.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Retrowire

Tasuki wrote:

So in the end it all worked out then. Its nice to know when a pet is reunited with its owner.

It worked out, but it's hard not to have the feeling of thinking that the dog is back with the owner she left for a REASON. Ugh... She wanted that toy rope bone. Why couldn't she just keep it?

Retro Gaming Enthusiast. Nintendo Fan. Amateur Video Game Historian. Electronics Hobbyist.

Tasuki

Retrowire wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

It worked out, but it's hard not to have the feeling of thinking that the dog is back with the owner she left for a REASON. Ugh... She wanted that toy rope bone. Why couldn't she just keep it?

Maybe he has more then enough toys for her? At least that would be my guess.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.