Showing 41 to 60 of 86
41. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 01:50 BST
Fox, I'm sorry for your losses and those you've witnessed through the war. It's rough, and I've seen my share as well. We can move on from that discussion.
On to the news bit... Those talking point allegations, they're from the former Press Secretary McClellan? The same secretary McClellan who wrote a hatchet-job book against Bush? And when said book was not scathing enough for publisher Public Affairs Books, it compelled McClellan to ratchet it up a bit? That McClellan made those allegations on FOX competitor MSNBC? Forgive me if I don't buy it outright, 'cause to me it doesn't pass the smell test. If this happened, there'd be email records, or some disgruntled FOXer would provide proof.
Either way, I appreciate you keeping the conversation mostly elevated and above the racial prejudice accusations and other nonsense that gets tossed about when someone disagrees with Mr. Obama.
Edited on Thu 10th September, 2009 @ 01:51 by Vendetta
Ex cineribus resurgoWii / Speak / Music: 3991 9961 5576 0184 · · · · Mario Kart Wii: 3609 8999 1445· · · · · · · ·Alien Crush: 1934 4006 9660The Conduit: 2622 0458 3119· · · · · · · · · · · · · · Water Warfare: 4726 5832 1608· · · · · · · Onslaught: 0388 6842 8268
42. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 02:09 BST
@Vendetta: Ah, I'm not surprised you're skeptical of McClellan. He left conservatives a little pissed off about his post White House activities. There is another source I'll try to track down that came from a less, shall we say, controversial figure. I'll post it if I can find it.
And I'm glad we can drop that "other" discussion. I honestly enjoy some friendly political discussions and even arguments, but the only thing down that road is heated words between members and a locked thread.
"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."
Treaty of Tripoly, article 11
43. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 02:41 BST
orlick wrote:Finally Obama is following the Bush playbook in Afganistan. That one should really hurt the news media who exploited antiwar protests in a failed attempt to drive Bush Jr from office....Huh, I guess the thread will devolve in Obama bashing. Not too surprising, there. To repond to your quote, I guess we should just be lucky that Obama hasn't followed Bush's gameplan in the Middle East too much. After all, he hasn't started a war under false pretenses like Iraq, has he?Oh, Snap!
Finally Obama is following the Bush playbook in Afganistan. That one should really hurt the news media who exploited antiwar protests in a failed attempt to drive Bush Jr from office....
Huh, I guess the thread will devolve in Obama bashing. Not too surprising, there. To repond to your quote, I guess we should just be lucky that Obama hasn't followed Bush's gameplan in the Middle East too much. After all, he hasn't started a war under false pretenses like Iraq, has he?Oh, Snap!
What is the sound of a snap not snapping?
I was bashing the meida actually - but then - if you cannot tell the difference between the Obama administration and the news media I guess you cannot be blamed.
It is also hard to tell the differnce between Obama's strategy in the Middle East vs Bush, for all the criticism Bush got. Its nice to have 'democracy' in the middle east - then Hamas can gain power through general election, that is validation I guess. Just so people vote, that solves all the problems.
Ouir elected officials are pretty brave after all - and they are good at 'listening'. "Let's have a towne hall meeting - what do YOU think? I will cover my balls in the meantime. Say - who's gonna pay for my election, its been 18 months must be time to start campaigning again."
Ben Cartwright: You and your education. Adam Cartwright: Education is progress! Now what have you got against it? Ben Cartwright: I don't have anything against education - as long as it doesn't interfere with your thinking!
44. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 02:43 BST
I honestly don't know what is so offensive about it.
Mario is my homeboy! It matters not how you play. What matters...is how you fall.[00:49] PhoenixSage doesn't understand what's so hot about Metal's momFor friend codes, check my backloggery.VGM Bronze Medal - 37 Points
Nintendo Network ID: MetalMario64
45. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 02:44 BST
I know, I watched it in my civics class today, and there really wasn't anything bad about it.
Wii friend code: 4851 0320 2775 0243 MarioKart Wii: 3008 3258 4955 Super Smash Bros Brawl: 3180 1076 7318
46. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 02:45 BST
Its offensive to hear view points other then your own.
47. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 02:47 BST
Obama did change the speech - confirmed/.
His first speech was along the lines of 'what can you do to help the president as a student.'
So cause of the controversy he threw his changeup and did the rah rah rah pull up your boot straps speech.
48. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 02:49 BST
We live in a world where it's honorable if a NBA star tells us to stay in school, but if the President says the same thing people are paranoid for hidden agendas.
EXPERIENCE MORE.... Arcade-quality graphics, awesome sound, "turbo-charged" game play, exciting TurboChip games... It's the incredible Turbo Genesis 64 Entertainment SuperSystem Experience. There's more fun, more challenge, and more excitment ready for you today!
49. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 02:55 BST
Actually the world does not change very much. If you do not have personal responsibilty, well.....
50. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 03:13 BST
The speech was about personal responsibility! Stay in school and be prepared for life's disappointments.
Obama is a living success story, he didn't come from money, he only knew his father for 3 months of his life, but he worked hard and with a brilliant, God given mind he became successful.
Bush Jr. on the other hand, he's success was largely due to connections and family wealth rather than hard work and intellect.
Edited on Thu 10th September, 2009 @ 03:15 by Turbo_Genesis_64
51. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 03:29 BST
1. I was actually pretty impressed with Obamas speech to the kids regardless of it being rewritten or not. After all the talk of forced community services to children for takin grants/loans, So called stimulus plan (responsibilities?) to finally hear him tell the kids in this country that they need to get to the real life in America and step up to be real Americans and actually go to work and keep a job and make something of themselves instead of America is where you live free off the government mentality that has utterly swept this nation actually impressed me. It was very unexpected to me.
2. What I dont like is that he goes to the school and tells these kids this and at the he is recently mocking Americans that do Not agree with his ideals on healtcare reform. I dont care if your for it or not or where you get your media. He speaks very unpresidential and laughs and mocks while speaking in wholes about "those/these people" who do Not agree with him. He then states "whats there soultions about healtcare, what are they doin? ...... Exactly Nothing! (while laughing). That is just NOT presidential and does NOT show the responsibility that you would expect from the single most powerful person on this planet. These people do have voices and express them the president doesnt want to hear them out and could care less and its obvious by the mocks and laughs. 3. If you think all the fuss is about Republican/Democrat/Independents........ Well your a subject of a media bias. This country has moved so far away from its founding and our party system is the absolute blame. McCain and Obama are one and the same. There is little to no difference in most all the politicians.... its just some can hide the corruption better than others. 4. Obama is in the proccess of resurging the war overseas. His war will be focused on Afganistan instead of Iraq/Iran. 5. Learn your history guys. Democrats have started nearly every war we have every had or been involved in. World War 2, Vietnam, Cold War, etc. Up until the last 8 year that party was known as WarMongers. The parties change to opposite the one in office with media bias, our whole country is literally injected with it through TV, Papers, etc. 6. General Electric owns ABC, NBC and its affiliates. GE is promised to get the majority of the "Green" jobs that will be made thru the Stim Package and it totals revenue in the Trillions. Do the Math on that one and you will find you bias. Fox well.... its become ridicalous as well. I stick with no TV news at all nowadays. 7. The Tea Party Gatherings were one of the first true American Spirit Gatherings this country has seen in a long time. I did not attend myself but understand that the true meaning of them was NOT to bash Obama it was simply Americans that want to see this country become America again. A self sufficient, hard working, producing country that it used to be. Not government run/ forced labor and high taxes.
3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!
52. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 03:42 BST
*5. Learn your history guys. Democrats have started nearly every war we have every had or been involved in. World War 2, Vietnam, Cold War, etc. Up until the last 8 year that party was known as WarMongers. The parties change to opposite the one in office with media bias, our whole country is literally injected with it through TV, Papers, etc. *
WWII - US supports allies unitl Peral Harbor FORCES them to war....
Korea- stop the spread of communism, divided country, stalemate.
Vietnam - starts under Kenenedy, Increases under Johnson after JFK's death. Anti Communism, domino theory. Supposed to be a supportive force, stop the invasion of North Vietnam, prop up an impotent govt.
Cold War - inevitable. Who rebuilds war torn Europe - the Marshall Plan or the Ten Year Plan?
I do not blame 'Democrats' for any of those wars. It is easy to call them 'mistakes' now, but it was always about strategic planning/communist arm wrestling then.
It is surprising no one seems to takes serioulsy the daunting challenge of 'nation building'. Obviously we have VERY strategic interests in the Middle East, but no, it is about 'nation building' Right.
It should be noted - despite the image of the US as an arrogant bully, - the people of this country have historically been VERY isolationist. 'We' were pulled hard into WWI by Wilson and look what it took for us to get directly involved in WWII. But it goes with the territory.
Edited on Thu 10th September, 2009 @ 03:44 by orlick
53. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 03:54 BST
Slapshot82 wrote: "7. The Tea Party Gatherings were one of the first true American Spirit Gatherings this country has seen in a long time. I did not attend myself but understand that the true meaning of them was NOT to bash Obama it was simply Americans that want to see this country become America again. A self sufficient, hard working, producing country that it used to be. Not government run/ forced labor and high taxes."
Ironically, most of those Tea Parties took place at public parks that are paid for by taxes. And I'm sure they drove to these tax payed parks on public, paved roads that are also paid for and maintained by taxes. O_o
Edited on Thu 10th September, 2009 @ 03:58 by Turbo_Genesis_64
54. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 04:11 BST
You guys can't compare WWII to the 2nd Iraq War because Iraq wasn't attacking us or even threatening us. Plus, Democrats led us to victory against Worldwide Fascism in much less time than the Republicans have been able to bring stability to Iraq.
The whole spreading democracy argument is a joke because we send half our jobs to China and their human rights record is horrible and they spy on us all the time too.
Edited on Thu 10th September, 2009 @ 04:17 by Turbo_Genesis_64
55. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 05:00 BST
Well, at least he's getting some Change accomplished.
Now Playing: Bioshock
56. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 06:08 BST
I find the American education system truly frightening for the ignorance it spreads.
1) The Korean and Vietnam wars were trying to stop the spread of SOCIALISM, not Communism. Communism became a better word for apparent evil to use for the witch hunts, but at no stage was any Soviet or Socialist asian state Communist.
2) The Cold War was not a war. It was a standoff.
Obama's speech was great. American kids should spend more time in school, and hopefully do some reading outside the American education system, which is far more interested in brainwashing than the typical American will ever admit.
Incidently, those Americans who are given the opportunity to step outside and away from their country and learn something about the broader world do tend to recognise this.
Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)
57. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 06:10 BST
58. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 07:05 BST
I'm pretty sure the Tea Party protestors weren't protesting state and local taxes that maintain roads and parks...These people aren't anti-government anarchists, they are just against the federal government growing and taking control of more aspects of people's lives.
Edited on Thu 10th September, 2009 @ 07:10 by brooks83
59. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 07:23 BST
Turbo+Genesis+64 wrote:Ironically, most of those Tea Parties took place at public parks that are paid for by taxes. And I'm sure they drove to these tax payed parks on public, paved roads that are also paid for and maintained by taxes. O_oI'm pretty sure the Tea Party protestors weren't protesting state and local taxes that maintain roads and parks...These people aren't anti-government anarchists, they are just against the federal government growing and taking control of more aspects of people's lives.
The real judge of a President durning their time in office is if they brought the Nation Debt down. Since 1945, Every Democrat President has brought down the National Debt!!!!
The same can not be said about Republicans. The last Republican President to bring down the National Debt was Richard Nixon, some 36 years ago.
All other Republicans since, have spent like crazy and have made us enslaved to Chinese buinsees men. There is nothing wrong with responsible taxes as long as the country is still growing and knocking off its debt.
Here's the truth about the two parties and the National Debt:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_debt_by_U.S._presidenti...
Edited on Thu 10th September, 2009 @ 07:28 by Turbo_Genesis_64
60. Posted: Thu 10th Sep 2009 07:49 BST
@The Fox:Don't ever pull the stunt of using an MSNBC article to bash Fox News. That's about as one-sided as Nintendo using a hit piece against Sony. It's too easy to see through. McClellan was a useless press secretary and a sellout dirtbag. End of story. I also daresay that MSNBC leans more than "a little" to the left when you have anchors like Chris Matthews getting "thrills" up their legs over Obama speeches. And Matthews used to be a competent journalist too... it's a shame.
Besides, anyone who doesn't think MSNBC is getting their cue cards from the Obama White House war rooms is just as silly. This is politics we're talking about here and any given White House is going to shill out information to the source they know will represent it in the best light.
@Turbo Genesis 64:"The real judge of a President durning their time in office is if they brought the Nation Debt down. Since 1945, Every Democrat President has brought down the National Debt!!!!"
Obama has nearly tripled our nation deficit and, should he get all his policies pushed through, will more than double our national debt in due course. So much for that part of hope and change.
Facts hurt. Bush was wrong to do the same things that Obama is expanding on now. And the fact of the matter is that this whole debacle has turned into nothing more than Democrat/Republican party bashing when in fact both sides are to blame while those of us working away every day in middle America are hurt by it. The Tea Parties (which at least Fox has the honesty to cover and give a voice to, where the other networks choose to merely act as though they don't exist) were a reaction not just to Obama but to both parties in the federal government trying to expand it into an ever-increasing nanny state. Slapshot82's mention of General Electric having a huge stake in the green jobs market and thus propping up the president's policies through their news networks should also be a message well heeded. What he said about McCain and Obama being two sides of the same coin is also completely true. Both would have taken this country in the same direction; while Obama is going at jet speed, McCain would have merely taken us there are highway speed.
And the next time I hear someone nay-say a comment because it's "devolving into Obama bashing," I'm pretty sure I'm going to snap. We had to hear nothing but Bush bashing from the left for eight years (including books and even a movie about the assassination of the man) but you leftists can't even take the slightest fact-based criticism of your own president? Utterly pathetic.
Edited on Thu 10th September, 2009 @ 13:09 by Jockolantern