Forums

Topic: Video games can never be art

Posts 101 to 120 of 123

Aviator

Lz, I was asking why was it revived because of the topic in question, which I personally think is all very very stupid.

@mnementh Sorry for having an opinion.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Aviator

How was I attacking?

QUEEN OF SASS

You know
But I'm just like

Aviator

Yea, and I would like to know how I was attacking, so in future, I don't upset you.

QUEEN OF SASS

You know
But I'm just like

Aviator

mnementh wrote:

All right, sorry if it was just an opinion. I thought that you're attacking me ala the Marvel/Disney issue, but I might have misunderstood that as well.

No, no. I was referring to J Bitties, seeing as he knew about how badly Marvel sold on Wii. Apologies if that offended you, I was supporting you infact.

@Token_Girl Not as cute as you!

Edited on by Aviator

QUEEN OF SASS

You know
But I'm just like

mnementh

@Aviator - my sincere apologies. Every-time I post something in that PS3/360 area I get attacked sort of. You're right in fact, I shouldn't have revived this thread lol. Sorry. I don't think it was a 2nd grader response though, I was joking also. But thanks for supporting me and explaining it to me, it was pretty ambiguous to me and I wasn't sure I re-edited the post about Marvel to thank you.

Edited on by mnementh

So ends a saga older than time itself.
The World's oldest and fiercest army has been led to victory, and a lost generation
is delivered from its fear of extinction. As the sun sets over the
field of conflict the dinosaurs disperse, hoping never to set foot
in this place a...

Percentful

Aviator wrote:

mnementh wrote:

All right, sorry if it was just an opinion. I thought that you're attacking me ala the Marvel/Disney issue, but I might have misunderstood that as well.

No, no. I was referring to J Bitties, seeing as he knew about how badly Marvel sold on Wii. Apologies if that offended you, I was supporting you infact.

@Token_Girl Not as cute as you!

Awwwwwwwwww. :3 :3 :3

Edited on by Percentful

Just let it happen.

3DS Friend Code: 5026-4947-0924 | Nintendo Network ID: Percentful

Aviator

Untitled

Edited on by Aviator

QUEEN OF SASS

You know
But I'm just like

Kholdstare

lol i can always tell which topics get locked by seeing theblackdragon as the recent posting person ... i guess not in this case but most of the time

☆FRIEND CODES☆

PSN ID: Kholdstare77

3DS
1289 8322 9889

romulux

this is the best response-

"Eurogamer: I know you like your films. What's your take on Roger Ebert, who said videogames will never be art?

Warren Spector: You're trying to get me in trouble, aren't you?

Eurogamer: As someone who's making a game with a distinctive art style, it would be great to know what you think about the games are art debate.

Warren Spector: That's another one where I almost don't care. If we haven't already won, we're inevitably going to win. Videogames are just coming out of the period where I describe them as the medium adults don't get. Roger Ebert is like the adult. He doesn't get it.

The fact is if we haven't already reached the point where this is true, we're very close to reaching the point where everyone plays games, in the same way that everyone goes to the movies and everyone watches television. We're really at that sort of point where everybody plays games.

As younger people grow up and as twenty-somethings have kids and they start gaming - it's not like the twenty-somethings are going to stop playing games when they get to 30, 40 and 50. We're becoming a mainstream medium where everybody plays.

Eventually, some other thing will come along that I don't get or you don't get and we'll all say, "Oh, those kids today, that stuff isn't art." The same thing happened with movies. Go back to the early days of movies. Go back to the early days of the novel, for crying out loud. That can't be art. Go back to the days when people gave Shakespeare a hard time.

Whatever medium adults don't understand can't be art. Eventually those adults go away and new adults take their place, and some other medium takes the place of the thing that everybody hates. We're coming out of that period now. What Roger Ebert thinks is completely irrelevant."

eat it, ebert!

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

StarBoy91

Why was this thread revived?

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

Adam

Because someone had something to add, and creating a new thread would have been redundant. Why not?

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Kaeobais

irken004 wrote:

110percentful wrote:

They may not be art, but I'd rather play a video game than look at a stone version of a decapitated naked person.
(that was stereotyping art, I love art also.)

I agree actually. Why look at something realistic (like the Mona Lisa) when we can play something that has a cool art style (Windwaker, for example)

100% agree.

The best strategy in the game: go up stairs and pause balls.

LzWinky

Video Games aren't art because they are BETTER than art

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

JGMR

Videogames can be a form of art, most of the time. Everything that is an expression, made to enrich one's imagination can be called art. It is the sole universal language of the human spirit. Super Mario Galaxy can definitely be considered as a masterpiece while games like Call of Duty are mere simulations that do not focus on the enrichment of imaginations at all.

Certain archetypes are mostly always in place. The eternal youth, the young child, the damsel in distress, the hero/protagonist, the wizard (old wise man for instance, who dies in most of the well-known stories), the manipulator/antagonist, the unification of a couple, etc etc etc.. and combinations of these are possible too It can be very interesting to play videogames with educated eyes,

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

JGMR

By the way the Mona Lisa was made to show people the androgynous nature of a human being (the wholesome/holy being; masculine & feminine aspects fully integrated in one's life)...

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

romulux

StarBoy91 wrote:

Why was this thread revived?

because that interview was new. sometimes on the internet, new information that's relevant to a discussion arises, and we humans like to debate such things to further the argument and enhance our own understanding and what not. in time you'll get the hang of this "forum" thing.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

StarBoy91

@romulux - I understand how the forums work. I've joined NintendoLife last August, and have participated in the site, mostly the forums, since then. I was just wondering why you revived this particular thread, is all. Do not take that as a sign that I don't know how the forums function, because I do.

To each their own

SonicMaster

romulux wrote:

because that interview was new. sometimes on the internet, new information that's relevant to a discussion arises, and we humans like to debate such things to further the argument and enhance our own understanding and what not. in time you'll get the hang of this "forum" thing.

Woah man, he's been on the forums longer than you (if you didn't check that by clicking his avi, I'm under the impression you don't know how these forums work.) Think before you say, man.

Edited on by SonicMaster

SonicMaster

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.