General Discussion Forum

Topic: Video Game Wars-Their Importance

Showing 1 to 15 of 15

AuthorMessage
Avatar

J_Bitties

1. Posted:

Two threads have popped up recently spelling doomsday for the Wii because for 1 week Sony and Microsoft sold more (in NA, no where else) than the 50 million unit machine. To me? Didn't care, it was expected with the price drop and business is business, but one thing I've never got a solid answer to is...who cares?

From a business standpoint, I get the competition of being number one because, in theory, competition breeds creativity, but what is the big deal with gamers in an uproar of their favorite system being number 1! This isn't football, baseball, soccer, etc...it's a business and even if Nintendo were to somehow drop to second, what's it matter? it's not going to prevent them from releasing a system next gen just like it didn't prevent them last gen.

I just want to know why people get so wrapped up in system sales and who's in first because, to me, it doesn't matter at all.

J_Bitties

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

2. Posted:

I think the only reason for a gamer to be concerned over if their console gets #1 or not is exclusives. Would the Wii be getting Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter Tri and others if it didn't hold 1/2 the market? On the other side of the coin I know for certain that if the 360 or PS3 were in the #1, as much as their fanboys will say otherwise, they would be getting the shovelware like the PS2 did and the Wii is getting now.

Having said that the Wii currently has almost 50% of the entire market and is one of the best selling consoles of all time (third now I think). There isn't any real good reason to worry about sales because its very unlikely it will lose its "first place" and there is no way that the Wii will fall into obscurity like the Dreamcast or even partial obscurity like the PSP.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

J_Bitties

3. Posted:

Skywake, I think you make a lot of sense but...ok, where I think you take the take of you want your favorite to succeed, there seems to be a ton of gamers (dare I say the majority that call themselves 'hardcore') that would sacrifice there systems success just to see someone else fail and that's what makes no sense to me.

I mean, just look around the different vg boards to see the amount of hate the different groups have for one another, and that's where my 'who cares' come in. do I like the PS3? No, but do I want Sony to fail or care if they surge in sales? Nope.

J_Bitties

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

4. Posted:

I am not a psychologist but let me do a bit of a Dr Phil on this:
#1. Their parents only got them one console. They can't enjoy the "other console" so obviously nobody else can either
#2. Nobody else is enjoying this "other console" so to fit in they "need" to not like the other console either
#3. "Radiohead are so overrated". People crave to be different and liking the most popular thing is conformity

and like I have said before... the word "hardcore" has more in common with terms like "indie" or "underground" than anything else. People use it as some sort of "gaming cred" and it rarely means what it sounds like it means

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

J_Bitties

5. Posted:

Firkraag wrote:

'Their Importance'? Haha

Maybe it's important for the losers who actually fight over it.

Wow, thanks for adding nothing to the conversation except to put a less intelligent spin on what I was saying.

Skywake, I think you're really onto something with your comments. They ring with a lot of truth.

J_Bitties

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

6. Posted:

The funny thing is the Wii wasn't even that far behind in sales that week.

From a business standpoint, having healthy competition is better because it keeps you on your toes about the quality of your products.

Edited on by WaLzgi

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Edwin

7. Posted:

People care about video game wars (and other things like sports teams, the kind of car they drive, and anything else they choose) because they are unconsciously identified with whatever system they chose. They say (unconsciously), "I bought system x, it is now a part of who I am. I must therefore defend system x because an attack against system x is an attack against me."

Edited on by Edwin

Edwin

Nintendo Network ID: Edwicket

AuthorMessage
Avatar

orlick

8. Posted:

I think it is funny. Console wars are very entertaining. They are good for that.

It is not a logic thing, I guess....people just think Nintendo is a 'criminal' for selling to 'casuals' who buy more games than the 'hardcore' and have been in the game market forever, and want to see them 'punished' by a general electronics giant whose console's #1 selling point a high definition DVD format.

So yeah -you've come a long way, baby, grab a Slim and be sure to get a new Sony widescreen HDTV and pick up a 1/2 dozen bluray movies at wlamart after you throw your wii in the dumpster ;)

Hardcore Marketing FOREVER!

I mean seriously, just buy game you want to play, whatever they may be....

Ben Cartwright: You and your education.
Adam Cartwright: Education is progress! Now what have you got against it?
Ben Cartwright: I don't have anything against education - as long as it doesn't interfere with your thinking!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sean_Aaron

9. Posted:

I don't get it myself. I used to own a Jaguar as my only console and I enjoyed it whilst I had it, but ultimately I could get many of the same games and more besides that I couldn't by getting a Playstation so I jumped ship -- the fact that the Playstation was "more popular" had no bearing on that. Same with the Wii. My only question is: does the console I own satisfy my gaming needs; are there personal must-haves that don't exist on it that I can only get elsewhere. The answer is "no" so I have a Wii (well, two of them) and that's just fine by me. If Nintendo closed up shop tomorrow, I'd still have the Wii and be happy with that!

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stuffgamer1

10. Posted:

J Bitties wrote:

This isn't football, baseball, soccer, etc...it's a business and even if Nintendo were to somehow drop to second, what's it matter?

Why does it matter if your favorite sports team does or does not do well? You have absolutely nothing to do with their performance, and yet fans take sports so personally! To me, that makes even less sense than being a fan of a gaming company. At least with the gaming company, they're making a certain kind of games you like, and hardware you like. With a sports team, they're just playing the game, same as every other sports team.

Even though I have all three consoles, I can't help but play favorites in different ways. I'm a life-long Nintendo fan, so of course I want them to do well with the Wii. I'm also a fan of the Playstation brand, and I want to see Sony do the right things to get ahead as well. Microsoft, not so much. At this point, I have my 360 for Netflix and exclusive games, and mostly the former. :P

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Firkraag

11. Posted:

Was my replies really deleted, really?

Mod: Yes, trolling is trolling. You don't like the topic don't post in it.
Firk: Just because I happen to disagree does not mean I'm trolling. However strongly I do it.

Edited on by Firkraag

There he goes, Firkraag. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. - My VGscore

AuthorMessage
Avatar

J_Bitties

12. Posted:

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

J+Bitties wrote:

This isn't football, baseball, soccer, etc...it's a business and even if Nintendo were to somehow drop to second, what's it matter?

Why does it matter if your favorite sports team does or does not do well? You have absolutely nothing to do with their performance, and yet fans take sports so personally! To me, that makes even less sense than being a fan of a gaming company. At least with the gaming company, they're making a certain kind of games you like, and hardware you like. With a sports team, they're just playing the game, same as every other sports team.

Even though I have all three consoles, I can't help but play favorites in different ways. I'm a life-long Nintendo fan, so of course I want them to do well with the Wii. I'm also a fan of the Playstation brand, and I want to see Sony do the right things to get ahead as well. Microsoft, not so much. At this point, I have my 360 for Netflix and exclusive games, and mostly the former. :P

Ok, I get your argument to a point, but you missed the point of the topic. I get that you like things about every system, so I think you're on board with most who posted here, but what I'm talking about is...ok, in the end, the 360 really is my favorite system, I just like the games more than the Wii but not by much. Anyways, does it matter to me if the 360 is number 1? Do I care that Nintendo is number 1? No! As long as I get games I want to play, who cares about sales, who's where etc. I'm not a shareholder, I don't have money in any of these companies, so what's that matter? All three to some degree are seeing success, they'll be around next gen, so my question isn't whether or not it's foolish to like one system over they other, it's why is it so important to have your system number 1 when, in the end, it has zero effect on your life in the end.

BTW, until they start handing out trophies and have tournaments between the developers of the big 3, loving the teams that represent your area will always make more sense then routing for a video game company to be number 1.

Although, a Super Bowl of developers would be a beautiful disaster.

J_Bitties

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stuffgamer1

13. Posted:

@J Bittles: Well, if you're a fan of something, don't you want it to do really well? Maybe even better than the other somethings that it's competing with? I still don't see much of a difference between games and sports in the "what you root for" aspect...though I do still think it makes MORE sense to want your game company to do well than the sports team that just happens to be near where you live. :P

I don't really care if Wii or PS3 is ahead in sales, just as long as Microsoft is in a distant third (joke, sort of-ish ;)). I just want them to sell well, and if PS3 is outselling Wii all of a sudden, that's a sign that Wii isn't doing too well lately (one of several signs, and the others have already been discussed around here). I want Nintendo to do something about it to guarantee long-term success and apparant value of their console. Makes sense, yes?

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

AuthorMessage
Avatar

J_Bitties

14. Posted:

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@J Bittles: Well, if you're a fan of something, don't you want it to do really well? Maybe even better than the other somethings that it's competing with? I still don't see much of a difference between games and sports in the "what you root for" aspect...though I do still think it makes MORE sense to want your game company to do well than the sports team that just happens to be near where you live. :P

I don't really care if Wii or PS3 is ahead in sales, just as long as Microsoft is in a distant third (joke, sort of-ish ;)). I just want them to sell well, and if PS3 is outselling Wii all of a sudden, that's a sign that Wii isn't doing too well lately (one of several signs, and the others have already been discussed around here). I want Nintendo to do something about it to guarantee long-term success and apparant value of their console. Makes sense, yes?

No, it still doesn't and that's the point. Is Sony going to end up making a PS4 regardless of position? Yes. Is Microsoft going to make the 720 or whatever they want to call the next one regardless of position? Yes. Is Nintendo going to make another system...well, you see where this is going. My point in all of this, is that it is pointless. It's pointless to argue sales, it's pointless to argue who's first, and it's pointless to care. XBox is in 2nd right now and has that stopped any company from making quality games for that system? Nope. Same goes for Sony and it's true for Nintendo as well. That's why the silly bickering and the silly caring about who's first and who's last is just that, silly.

Again, your comparison of video games to sports is equally as silly. When it comes to sports, there is a tangible goal. There's a first and last place and there's a positive and negative effect on where you finish and how other players/owners/gm's etc. view you. EA is the prime example of how this doesn't happen in gaming and how the war is just a phantom made up by gamers with too much time. How many generations do we go through EA saying they'll pulll back support on one system to concentrate on two other systems only to back track and, in the end, show equal support? We're going on two generations at least now.

Anyways, if you feel the need to argue for a number 1 system over another in sales that you have no stake in, then I'm sorry that is all you can find time to do in your life, but it's not for me. More power to all three, I hope all three companies do great because I'm a gamer. Games come first, no matter who owns them or what system they are, and it's hard for me to take anyone who calls themselves a gamer seriously when they argue these silly system sale arguments.

J_Bitties

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stuffgamer1

15. Posted:

As I just said, I don't actually personally care who's in "first." I'm just concerned about the possible ramifications of the Wii remaining at the current price relative to the other consoles, as its sales may suffer as a result. No Wii owner should want to see that happen. You can't say that relative sales don't matter, either. Multisystem games DO have a history of not showing up on systems that didn't do too well (a lot of games skipped Xbox late last generation). The race appears to be much closer this generation, but is that any reason to get careless? Heck, no!

So technically, I only care how Nintendo does relative to the competition because selling less than the competition could have bad results for my gaming enjoyment, regarding what titles DO get released.

And as a person who has always thought organized sports fandom is extrodinarily stupid, I found my point quite meaningful. Clearly, you disagree. I suppose a lot of people do. But it makes sense if you understand where I'm coming from.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P