Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 961 to 980 of 12,088

CaviarMeths

Maelstrom wrote:

Anyone who regards Other M as the best Metroid game is not a fan of the core elements of the metroid series.

Anyone who takes it upon him or herself to define a "true" fan of any series deserves to be ridiculed.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

kingston589

FurretG wrote:

Mario Kart: Double Dash is poo poo (the level design is horrendous)
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are horrible games (hoping ORAS will fix most of my complaints)
All Sonic games (besides CD) are garbage

Wow

Edited on by kingston589

Currently Playing: Smash Bros, Ducktales Remastered and Bayou Billy
Youtube: PlatTheFormer
Steam: PlatTheFormer

Nintendo Network ID: kingston589

Maelstrom

Kodeen wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Maelstrom wrote:

Anyone who regards Other M as the best Metroid game is not a fan of the core elements of the metroid series.

Anyone who takes it upon him or herself to define a "true" fan of any series deserves to be ridiculed.

"True fan" and fan of primary gameplay elements are not the same thing. One is some sort of die hard fan club president with matching pillow cases thing, and the other is what Maelstrom was talking about.

^

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Check in for new sheets every Monday. There's lots of Fire Emblem arrangements coming.

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

GuSolarFlare

just because I dislike a game doesn't mean it's bad(to anyone other than me)
likewise games I like don't need to be good, sometimes a bad game can be more fun than a good one(especially if it's a messy game filled with funny glitches)

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

CanisWolfred

GuSolarFlare wrote:

just because I dislike a game doesn't mean it's bad(to anyone other than me)

Personally I'd word it as "Just because I think a game is bad doesn't mean everyone else has to agree", with the addendum "...but I still very much hold the right to call it bad".

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

I-U

Maelstrom wrote:

I can't think of single core element that's completely missing from Other M. It's got the general face of Metroid's settings, the shooting combat, the hostile atmosphere, exploration for hidden items and expansion of setting based on an increasing arsenal. I'd also argue that anyone who regards Other M as their favorite have been better fans for the Metroid Series than these "true fans" who have only contributed negativity towards the franchise for nearly 4 years. Most of time I wonder if anyone who ranks Other M as their least favorite entry in the series is even capable of discussing their favorite Metroid game at length. I laugh a bit every time I see Super Metroid and Metroid Prime sitting a top a fan's rankings, because it's empty now that bashing Other M has become the favorite thing to do as opposed to valuing and discussing the experiences brought by what are commonly the top 2 entries.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

8BitSamurai

I-U wrote:

I'd also argue that anyone who regards Other M as their favorite have been better fans for the Metroid Series than these "true fans" who have only contributed negativity towards the franchise for nearly 4 years. Most of time I wonder if anyone who ranks Other M as their least favorite entry in the series is even capable of discussing their favorite Metroid game at length. I laugh a bit every time I see Super Metroid and Metroid Prime sitting a top a fan's rankings, because it's empty now that bashing Other M has become the favorite thing to do as opposed to valuing and discussing the experiences brought by what are commonly the top 2 entries.

Fairly NSFW

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

I-U

Do you think I'm going to waste nearly 30 minutes watching a video bashing a game that I enjoyed? I already wasted too much of my time responding to Maelstrom.

Edited on by I-U

8BitSamurai

I-U wrote:

Do you think I'm going to waste nearly 30 minutes watching a video bashing a game that I enjoyed?

Just countering your point that Other M haters apparently have nothing constructive to say and that Other M bashing has become the norm and is now empty.

CanisWolfred

I-U wrote:

It's got the general face of Metroid's settings,

How?

I-U wrote:

the shooting combat,

H- actually, you're sorta right. I'd argue that the shooting was completely different here and serves a much different purpose, and completely alters the once deliberate pacing of the series, but I won't say it's not there.

I-U wrote:

the hostile atmosphere,

How?

I-U wrote:

exploration for hidden items

Again, I'd argue that's its different, has a different feel and purpose, but you're right that it's there, just in a different form.

I-U wrote:

and expansion of setting based on an increasing arsenal.

How?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Mickey

I-U wrote:

Do you think I'm going to waste nearly 30 minutes watching a video bashing a game that I enjoyed?

Getting a second opinion isn't what I'd call wasting time. :/ I mean, I enjoyed the game as well (years ago, hard to say what I'd think nowadays) but you should at least give it a chance, dude.

Also, "better fans?" Like, the only explanation for liking a game that others dislike is that you're better than them at being a fan of the series?

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

I-U

8BitSamurai wrote:

Just countering your point that Other M haters apparently have nothing constructive to say and that Other M bashing has become the norm and is now empty.

I want to be countered on my other point. I'd gladly watch a 30 min. video of this guy praising Metroid Prime's or Super Metroid's design and/or storytelling.

@Mickey: It's more so that they haven't been b****ing for nearly 4 years about a game they disliked not that they are going against the general opinion.

Edited on by I-U

8BitSamurai

I-U wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

I want to be countered on my other point. I'd gladly watch a 30 min. video of this guy praising Metroid Prime's or Super Metroid's design and/or storytelling.

Except he does mention numerous times the aspects on which the Prime series / Super Metroid succeeded and Other M failed miserably.

CanisWolfred

I-U wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Then this video?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

8BitSamurai

CanisWolfred wrote:

I-U wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Then this video?

And then that one. Didn't even remember it, thanks for linking it.

I-U

Have any of you heard of the Anatomy of Metroid that talks about Super Metroid's game design? If you've read that, that's the kind of video message I'll listen to for 30 minutes from a Metroid fan.

CaviarMeths

I wonder where the future of the series actually lies. SSB4 is using the Other M Samus character model and has a stage from the game. Seems to me that Nintendo hasn't treated the game with the same abandon as some of the players. The Twilight Princess models for Link and Zelda are still being used, but not the Prime model for Samus.

I think Nintendo is aware that there are people who will always be mad that Other M isn't Prime 4, but I'm not sure it will affect their creative decisions in the future. America is the key market for Metroid games and Other M sold just as well as both Prime sequels there.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

8BitSamurai

CaviarMeths wrote:

I wonder where the future of the series actually lies. SSB4 is using the Other M Samus character model and has a stage from the game. Seems to me that Nintendo hasn't treated the game with the same abandon as some of the players. The Twilight Princess models for Link and Zelda are still being used, but not the Prime model for Samus.

I think Nintendo is aware that there are people who will always be mad that Other M isn't Prime 4, but I'm not sure it will affect their creative decisions in the future.

Personally, I think it'll depend a lot on what George Luc--- Sakamoto is going to do. If he's going to continue with this direction I can easily see Metroid going long dormant. Though I think Nintendo is going to rethink it after the mediocre sales and reception of Other M.

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

Maelstrom

@I-U It lacks the feeling of independence. The feeling that no one constantly tells you where to go. And metroid games have been about exploration, not about Samus herself.

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Check in for new sheets every Monday. There's lots of Fire Emblem arrangements coming.

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

CaviarMeths

8BitSamurai wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I think Nintendo is aware that there are people who will always be mad that Other M isn't Prime 4, but I'm not sure it will affect their creative decisions in the future.

Personally, I think it'll depend a lot on what George Luc--- Sakamoto is going to do. If he's going to continue with this direction I can easily see Metroid going long dormant.

At least Sakamoto didn't spend 2 decades mucking around with the classic games to the point where they were nearly unrecognizable.

Hard to say though. If we use the Star Wars comparison, I would say that Episode 7 is looking to have more in common with the OT and The Phantom Menace than with the other two prequels. TPM was a bad movie, but it was probably the most "Star Warsy" prequel of the three, if that makes sense.

It's different with Metroid though. For one, most would regard the classic Metroid series (including Fusion) a separate entity from Prime. With Other M though, Nintendo really seemed to be dedicated to doing something different from both (for better or worse, depending on who you ask). I'm not convinced that dedication has changed, but Sakamoto may decide he's done with the series. His comments in interviews seem to suggest that.

But considering the 8 year gap between Super Metroid and Prime, the two games widely regarded as the best in the series, I'm inclined to roll my eyes at all this "the series is going dormant" talk.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic