Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 941 to 960 of 12,088

unrandomsam

Unca_Lz wrote:

Metroid is a boring series anyway

I agree for the most part. I like e.g Super Metroid when stuff is happening but I hate all the messing around in between.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Pityflame

I think Mass Effect sucks
I think Star Fox is boring
I think Assassins Creed is too loud
I think Banjo Kazooie is boring af
I think Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is a great game
Animal Crossing DS sucks
Brawl > Melee
Iwata should not retire
Iwata should not die
Sun Chips are the real

Pityflame

CanisWolfred

Dreamz wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Metroid is a boring series anyway

Now there's an unpopular opinion.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Maelstrom wrote:

Anyone who regards Other M as the best Metroid game is not a fan of the core elements of the metroid series.

This isn't an unpopular opinion because it's hard to dispute.

To be fair, in the series I would say that only the original Metroid, Super Metroid, and Metroid Zero Mission really embody the core elements you speak of. People complain about Other M's linearity and lack of freedom, but I found Fusion is be just the same, and while the Prime series was a bit more open, they also became gradually more linear as the series went on.

I always considered the core aspects of Metroid to be it's exploration and Atmosphere. Most Metroid games have a set path, you're only exploring around for stuff you missed or to try to find the next destination. It's the non-handholdy approach while also leaving some rewards for going the wrong way that make the game feel fun to explore, especially when you gain new tools. I think Metroid II is the only one where there are things you can do in different oreders and stuff. It's not the lack of freedom that's the problem with Other M, it's the blantant lack of freedom - There's no figuring things out for yourself. You're not finding new tools, you're given them. I think there are still missile power-ups at least, but suddenly going back for them feels less rewarding - they're no longer nice little things you stumble upon while trying to find your next destination, they're your only reason to go back to places.

And then there's the completely different atmosphere, which really grinds my gears. Most metroid games had a sense of loneliness to them, the feeling of being a stranger in a strange and dangerous land, who is vulnerable at first, but slowly gains the ability to overcome the dangers this world provides. This was brought on from a range of things: the music, lighting, pacing, structure, even little things to the way enemies behaved and the way Samus moved tended to convey a certain atmosphere. And not only does Other M completely change a lot of this, it tended to do the opposite, and even had conflicting moods that just did not seem to mesh at all. Samus is supposed to be a traumatized woman still trying to prove herself as a bounty hunter, yet she seems highly capable from the word go, showing few signs of fear as she's rushing through areas, mowing down enemies left and right, sometimes even getting right into their faces to do so. It just doesn't feel like Metroid at all. In fact, it feels like a confused mess...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Retro_on_theGo

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

Probably not too contraversal, but Pokemon Red and Blue has not aged well at all. Once you play X and Y, you can't go back.

Red and Blue suck. The only reason to like them is out of Nostalgia. This comes from a giant Pokemon fan. But you have to be fair and understand they were the first Pokemon games.

TheKingOfTown

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

Probably not too contraversal, but Pokemon Red and Blue has not aged well at all. Once you play X and Y, you can't go back.

Red and Blue suck. The only reason to like them is out of Nostalgia. This comes from a giant Pokemon fan. But you have to be fair and understand they were the first Pokemon games.

I don't know. I kinda like their super simple mechanics. And I find the crude graphics kinda charming.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

MarkS27

I prefer the battle mode in Mario Kart 8 more than Mario Kart 7, Wii and DS's battle modes.
Hides in bomb shelter

MarkS27

3DS Friend Code: 3282-1883-4630 | Nintendo Network ID: MarkS27

Memeboy3

MarkS27 wrote:

I prefer the battle mode in Mario Kart 8 more than Mario Kart 7, Wii and DS's battle modes.
Hides in bomb shelter

I thought I was the only one!

S'up
I love Anime and Wii U and 3DS games with Barry and Ross.
And Im playing Super Mario 3D World, KI:U, Colors, etc
My friend code:
3711- 7655 - 4325
My Nintendo network ID :Pokelover10

Chrono_Cross

Pityflame wrote:

I think Mass Effect sucks
I think Star Fox is boring
I think Assassins Creed is too loud
I think Banjo Kazooie is boring af
I think Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is a great game
Animal Crossing DS sucks
Brawl > Melee
Iwata should not retire
Iwata should not die
Sun Chips are the real

I'm glad you're taking advantage of this topic.

Regardless of how painful it was to read that.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

HappyHappyist

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

I played Red a month ago, first game in the series I've played. I enjoyed it. but my brother overwrote the save file, so i haven't returned to it yet.

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

CanisWolfred

TheKingOfTown wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

I don't know. I kinda like their super simple mechanics. And I find the crude graphics kinda charming.

That's kinda nostalgia talking, for better for for worse. I love playing the originals, but I won't deny that they're very rough in pretty much every category.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NavySpheal

The best battle mode IMO was Bomb-omb Blast from Mario Kart Double Dash. Pure chaos, and I wish it would return.

3DS FC: 4596-9744-5868
Buffalo wings are a gift from the gods themselves.

The_Ninja

Wind Waker and Majoras Mask > Skyward Sword > Every zelda game
Gen 3 is the BEST (IDK if this is populair or unpopulair) altough the sprites in B&W were animated, IMO so much better

The_Ninja

3DS Friend Code: 1891-2599-4796

TheKingOfTown

CanisWolfred wrote:

TheKingOfTown wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

That's kinda nostalgia talking, for better for for worse. I love playing the originals, but I won't deny that they're very rough in pretty much every category.

But Pokemon Platinum was my first Pokemon game, so nostalgia has nothing to do with it.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

TheKingOfTown

I guess if the GBA counts.

steamhare

The_Ninja wrote:

Wind Waker and Majoras Mask > Skyward Sword > Every zelda game
Gen 3 is the BEST (IDK if this is populair or unpopulair) altough the sprites in B&W were animated, IMO so much better

There are people who prefer each gen for whatever reason. I don't think any gen actually has a solid majority.

steamhare

Nintendo_Ninja

Got a few more:

Japanese developers will exist as long as the industry does
EV and IV stuff shouldn't be taken out of Pokemon, because it adds a layer of depth
Every gen has something special, but as I said before, gen 1 is overrated
Mega Evolution shouldn't be in the main game in Pokémon and it should be only accessible after beating the Elite 4
There can never be enough Pokémon

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

FurretG

Mario Kart: Double Dash is poo poo (the level design is horrendous)
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are horrible games (hoping ORAS will fix most of my complaints)
All Sonic games (besides CD) are garbage

Nintendo Network ID: FurretGamer
Friend Code: 3196-4873-0225

3DS Friend Code: 3196-4873-0225 | Nintendo Network ID: FurretGamer | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic