Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 921 to 940 of 12,088

Magikarp3

Artwark wrote:

Now I can understand why some people like Arin can't appreciate masterpieces because of what they feel about them but this isn't the case. Whenever Nintendo makes great games and when it ages, people complain so much about it I mean for crying out loud, many of the games that Nintendo makes was revolutionary heck its like saying that Super Metroid isn't good anymore because prime is waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy better.......what kind of stupid gamers are there these days.

There's points that I agree and disagree about with the video, and I think that the style of delivery (and especially the intro) makes it a little harder to watch it without naturally thinking of counterarguments. That being said:

There's one really fantastic observation made here. The original Legend of Zelda and LttP had an implicit story. It was a story made up of the player's actions - you see that through Arin's gripe with the treasure chests and how they feel. Ocarina of Time's story is explicit. The majority of it is written out prior to the player's interaction with the game, and the explicit story takes precedence over what a player feels when they're running through the dungeon.

What's happened is that new IPs tend to start with a core idea and then layer dressings around it to make the full game. And when making a sequel, the developers assumed that the dressings were what defined the game, and so they kept those constant and inserted a new core. But games are bought and enjoyed by their cores, so when you jump into a sequel and find the core's completely different to what you expected, you get mad.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

Memeboy3

I honestly think that Critical Hits should be an optional feature in RPGs.
I don't want to lose because I'm having a bad day, I want to lose because I didn't do a good job at training or fighting.

S'up
I love Anime and Wii U and 3DS games with Barry and Ross.
And Im playing Super Mario 3D World, KI:U, Colors, etc
My friend code:
3711- 7655 - 4325
My Nintendo network ID :Pokelover10

Geonjaha

Artwark wrote:

Now I can understand why some people like Arin can't appreciate masterpieces because of what they feel about them but this isn't the case. Whenever Nintendo makes great games and when it ages, people complain so much about it I mean for crying out loud, many of the games that Nintendo makes was revolutionary heck its like saying that Super Metroid isn't good anymore because prime is waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy better.......what kind of stupid gamers are there these days.

It's kind of ridiculous how people start talking about how its silly to criticise a game that has aged badly, while claiming it's one of their favourite games of all time. A game not aging well is a big issue, and to be honest as someone who first played Ocarina of Time only when the 3DS version came out, I have to say it was the only Zelda game I didn't finish. It got so boring and drawn out. A lot of what Arin says here I agree with, and is why I stopped playing it. Taking time away from the player is never a good thing, and all those minor delays add up to just elongate the game.

Hell, I was disappointed with Ocarina of Time if only because of how empty the world is. It takes several minutes to get anywhere, and on the way there's nothing to see. Hyrule Field is a huge area filled with practically nothing. Oh yeah, there's maybe 2-3 little secret holes with 5 rupee chests in them, but those aren't satisfying to find with such pathetic an award. In a way it almost felt like they built this huge world, then only had time to add in a couple of actual landmarks, from which the story connects; A to B to C. At the time the spectacle of it was what impressed people, and the fact that it isn't that impressive nowadays just means its seen as an alright game (That is unless you played it at the time - nostalgia goggles galore; "It's a masterpiece, anyone who doesn't like it just cant appreciate it or is wrong!").

I wont argue that Ocarina of Time wasn't revolutionary, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about how well it holds up today, and why I honestly find it funny that some people believe it's the best game ever made. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'm entitled to not share it.

Jollykarp wrote:

There's points that I agree and disagree about with the video, and I think that the style of delivery (and especially the intro) makes it a little harder to watch it without naturally thinking of counterarguments.

That's pretty much exactly the point he was trying to make. He was simply pointing out how stupid it is that some people, upon realising the video was about to criticise some aspects of Ocarina of Time, felt the need to jump to its defence without even hearing his arguments. It's a level many people will unfortunately sink to just because "someone said something bad about my favourite game! I'm going to take it personally and be ready to defend it against anything!"

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

steamhare

kingston589 wrote:

The first good mario kart was double dash

While I agree that double dash is the earliest mario kart that I still enjoy playing, I did enjoy the SNES and N64 games when they were originally released. They've just aged very badly.

So I guess I agree and disagree depending on how I look at it.

steamhare

Storytime7

Jollykarp wrote:

There's points that I agree and disagree about with the video, and I think that the style of delivery (and especially the intro) makes it a little harder to watch it without naturally thinking of counterarguments. That being said:

There's one really fantastic observation made here. The original Legend of Zelda and LttP had an implicit story. It was a story made up of the player's actions - you see that through Arin's gripe with the treasure chests and how they feel. Ocarina of Time's story is explicit. The majority of it is written out prior to the player's interaction with the game, and the explicit story takes precedence over what a player feels when they're running through the dungeon.

What's happened is that new IPs tend to start with a core idea and then layer dressings around it to make the full game. And when making a sequel, the developers assumed that the dressings were what defined the game, and so they kept those constant and inserted a new core. But games are bought and enjoyed by their cores, so when you jump into a sequel and find the core's completely different to what you expected, you get mad.

The thing is, he makes the mistake of assuming that because Miyamoto was inspired by exploring in his childhood, Zelda is only about exploration. That is completely incorrect. Zelda is an Action-Adventure franchise, and exploration is only one characteristic of that genre. It does not really matter if the player is not able to discover everything about the world through exploration if other aspects (the sense of adventure, for example) are enhanced in the process. The core was not changed, it evolved to suit advancements in what could be done with games.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to backtrack to where you last used the magic mirror or go to Hyrule Castle to get back to the dark world in ALttP? In that sense, warping back and forth in OoT does not take much longer than in ALttP. Sure, you could always use the flute (which also requires a bit of waiting), but that's an optional item (again, correct me if I'm wrong). At least OoT had the decency to give players the item needed to warp around the world. You should read that NeoGAF post someone linked earlier if you really want to see the flaws in Egoraptor's argument. I only read some of it, but the post seemed to do a good job countering his points.

Geonjaha wrote:

That's pretty much exactly the point he was trying to make. He was simply pointing out how stupid it is that some people, upon realising the video was about to criticise some aspects of Ocarina of Time, felt the need to jump to its defence without even hearing his arguments. It's a level many people will unfortunately sink to just because "someone said something bad about my favourite game! I'm going to take it personally and be ready to defend it against anything!"

That depends on if those people knew his opinion on the game before watching the video, because his sequelitis videos are not always negative (his video comparing Classic Mega Man and Mega Man X, for example). Also, just because someone disagrees with him does not mean it is because they didn't listen to his arguments or got upset because he criticized their favorite game. Some of the things he says in the video are either blatantly wrong, contradict other things he said in the past, or just show too much of a bias to really be worth taking seriously. For example, he talked a lot in his Mega Man sequelitis video about how important it is to teach players about a game, but then praises the original Zelda for doing none of that (because Zelda is apparently about exploration only, which also apparently means doing nothing to help players know where they're supposed to go). One of the good things about games like ALttP is that, while the player is told where to go, the game doesn't tell you how to get there (leaving you to explore the world and find a way to the dungeon yourself). I'll stop because I'm starting to go off on a bit of a tangent, but this brings me to a somewhat unpopular opinion in the gaming community:

Egoraptor is not the game design expert his fans make him out to be, and disagreeing with him does not make someone a delusional fan of the games he criticizes.

Storytime7

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5304-9315 | Nintendo Network ID: storytime7

kkslider5552000

kingston589 wrote:

Yes.

I honestly don't know how anyone tolerated the controls for the game (especially Super Circuit) before Double Dash

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

HappyHappyist

kkslider5552000 wrote:

kingston589 wrote:

Yes.

I honestly don't know how anyone tolerated the controls for the game (especially Super Circuit) before Double Dash

I started on DD, then played earlier titles, and i couldn't handle the slippery controls.

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

TheKingOfTown

I love DD, but the controls after playing the newer games are very jittery.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

Geonjaha

Storytime7 wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

Also, just because someone disagrees with him does not mean it is because they didn't listen to his arguments or got upset because he criticized their favorite game.

When did I say this isn't the case? The fan in his cartoon talked about writing his pre-emptive arguments, as in, before he had even heard the argument. That's what he was mocking. Why are so many people getting offended by a little caricature that by their own claims, isn't even making fun of them?

The honest truth is that if you went in ready to argue against anything he said then you're deluding yourself into thinking the game is perfect, and coming in extremely biased. No game is perfect, and every game has its flaws. If however, you actually watched the video and listened to it before responding to what he had to say with what you believe (not just trying to find a counter-argument to every negative point), then yeah - the joke at the beginning wasn't trying to make fun of you answering back.

HappyHappyist wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

kingston589 wrote:

Yes.

I started on DD, then played earlier titles, and i couldn't handle the slippery controls.

I agree with this as well actually. Even the GBA version seemed terrible compared to later titles.

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

kkslider5552000

HappyHappyist wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

kingston589 wrote:

Yes.

I played every Mario Kart before the next Mario Kart was released, so I can tell you it is at least partially the fault of those older games on their own instead of how it changed. Because someone would bring that up because they stopped sucking at Super Circuit after 50 hours or some nonsense so the controls MUST be good.

DreamyViridi

Admittedly, I rather enjoy playing Mario Kart: Super Circuit but that might be due to nostalgia, since I played it as a kid. I never made true progress on it back then, but I still had fun with it. I've recently found myself playing it now and actually making progress through it, I never knew about the 'Extra' tracks until recently! I don't really find the controls too problematic (especially if I play as Peach for some reason...). I hold it above SMK and MK64 but with that said though, I feel it was indeed Double Dash where the series really took off.

As for that Sequelitis video..., well, I would've respected it more but the random swipes at Skyward Sword were a bit unnecessary. If not for those parts, I would've been laughing the whole way through and really thought about his points.

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

DiscoDriver43

Probably not too contraversal, but Pokemon Red and Blue has not aged well at all. Once you play X and Y, you can't go back.

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

Red_XIII

The new OOT video was just BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD. Not because it was a controversial opinion. In all honesty, whereas the previous sequelitis were about the game design, here it was just a nit-picking rampage. ALTTP was not perfect, hell it had some problems that Arin had with OOT. The locked room puzzles are weak (Weaker than OOT), the game has as much problems to do with talking to townsfolk, the exploration is limited, etc. Also, you can only equip one item at a time, which means lots of inventory fiddling. Also, if he wants do criticize Skyward Sword, could he do it in a video that is about Skyward Sword?

I thought that video was one long F!#( you to Jontron.

Red_XIII

WhiteNoise17

I think someone on this thread said the same thing before but I love(not like)grinding in games, so much so in fact its one of my favorite parts of and RPG running around into a battle and fighting the surrounding enemies until I can one hit kill them is satisfying to me.

Capcom at E3: Guys we're sorry about how we've been treating Mega Man so we're gonna make it up to you by releasing the Mega Man Cancelled Collection with all the titles we cancelled in the condition they we're in just before we pulled the plug. Now who wants Street Fighter X Monster Hunter?

Mickey

Can't help but notice that this "the new sequilitis sucked" opinion has gained quite a bit of popularity in the thread for unpopular gaming opinions...

I guess my unpopular gaming opinion would be that I enjoyed it. I can't say I agree with it, since I haven't played either of the games that he talks about and thus can't form a real opinion on them (and I always make a point to try not to steal opinions from Internet Celebrities I like), but it was an entertaining video despite that fact.

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

kkslider5552000

Egoraptor is a hypocrite whose knowledge of anything about gaming beyond level design in gaming is probably on the level of my knowledge of quantum physics. That being said, no one has actually disputed most of what he's said, mainly because it's subjective and from a purely level design perspective there's not much I could argue about. I actually agree with a lot of it, mainly because later Zeldas relied less on his problems with it (usually) and had a good enough story and interesting enough world to justify doing slower not fun things for atmosphere. Whereas most of the time OOT is just LTTP with more text and world backstory (and ALBW did that better)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000

Maelstrom wrote:

Anyone who regards Other M as the best Metroid game is not a fan of the core elements of the metroid series.

This isn't an unpopular opinion because it's hard to dispute.

LzWinky

Metroid is a boring series anyway

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Dreamz

Unca_Lz wrote:

Metroid is a boring series anyway

Now there's an unpopular opinion.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Maelstrom wrote:

Anyone who regards Other M as the best Metroid game is not a fan of the core elements of the metroid series.

This isn't an unpopular opinion because it's hard to dispute.

To be fair, in the series I would say that only the original Metroid, Super Metroid, and Metroid Zero Mission really embody the core elements you speak of. People complain about Other M's linearity and lack of freedom, but I found Fusion is be just the same, and while the Prime series was a bit more open, they also became gradually more linear as the series went on.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic