Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 861 to 880 of 12,088

CanisWolfred

CaviarMeths wrote:

R_Champ wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

How is something objectly the best fim ever made? It's all subjective, there is no objective ranking of these things.

There is taste in film, but no, there is absolutely a such thing as objectively good filmmaking. That's why people go to film school, and pretty much the only reason that Citizen Kane is often considered the best film of all time.

In academia "objectivity" is usually just a pretentious way to say "my opinion is better than yours!!!!!!111."

No, it really isn't. There is no opinion in objectivity. It's an unbiased critique of the technical aspects of the film. Things like direction, music, lighting, photography, acting, editing, sound, these are all things that are objective qualities of a film. How is it subjective to say that a scene is too dark to see? Have you seen Alien vs Predator: Requiem? Half the movie is unwatchable because it's too dark to see. That is an objectively bad movie.

I don't know why some people have a hard time understanding the concept of objectivity in films. We can generally all declare that Sonic '06 is a horribly designed, buggy game, but no, film is entirely a matter of taste. There's no such thing as bad movies.

I'll give that there are some things that can't be easily disputed, but ultimately they do not determine the quality of the movie (or game, TV show, etc.). They are simply the basic requirements to be a decent movie, and none should be judged soley on those merits. Most movies don't actually make it to the big screen unless they check all those boxes. There a hell of a lot more to movies than that, and that's where it becomes heavily subjective. There is ultimately no right or wrong with storytelling, only what someone likes or dislikes, and there are an innumerable amount of reasons why someone might like or dislike a story or aspects of it, many of which probably don't make any amount of logical sense, even to that person. Ultimately the things that academia tends to focus on are simply what a certain group of people all agreed they like, and to be quite honest, they don't always reflect the interests and opinions of the majority.

And "good" and "bad" are by their very definitions subjective terms.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Jaz007

General guidelines of what most people like are taught. A lot of thig a you listed are subjective, he quality of acting can be debated by different people, the directing can be debated, the lighting can be debated, the music quality can be debated, sound can be debated, and editing can be debated. I might have missed somethings, but pretty much everything you said isn't truely actually objective. It's subjective. To press the point, a movie like Sharknado is actually a good well made movie if you think about for a second. It's a comedy, it's all carefully engineered to be what we generally think is bad to an extreme, that it's hiliarious. It's actually good, because we laughing at it and enjoy it. It's what it's supposed to be, a different type of comedy. It takes talent to make a move like that. From your objective standpoint, it's bad, but when you think about and bring subjectivness, it's good.

Jaz007

8BitSamurai

I didn't get any enjoyment out of Sharknado, in fact it almost gave me a migraine.

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

CaviarMeths

CanisWolfred wrote:

I'll give that there are some things that can't be easily disputed, but ultimately they do not determine the quality of the movie (or game, TV show, etc.). They are simply the basic requirements to be a decent movie, and none should be judged soley on those merits. Most movies don't actually make it to the big screen unless they check all those boxes. There a hell of a lot more to movies than that, and that's where it becomes heavily subjective. There is ultimately no right or wrong with storytelling, only what someone likes or dislikes, and there are an innumerable amount of reasons why someone might like or dislike a story or aspects of it, many of which probably don't make any amount of logical sense, even to that person. Ultimately the things that academia tends to focus on are simply what a certain group of people all agreed they like, and to be quite honest, they don't always reflect the interests and opinions of the majority.

Which is all fine, as long as you have no interest in film making or critique. Film isn't just an art, it's also a craft. There are skilled craftsman and unskilled ones. Every product is subject to opinion, but that doesn't stop them from being objectively good, bad, or somewhere in between.

And no, Sharknado is most definitely an objectively bad film. That's why it's famous as a comedy. It's so bad that you can't help but laugh at it. It is subjectively good because it is objectively bad.

You guys are on like subjective and objective are two mutually exclusive terms. Like if a film is objectively good, it couldn't possibly be subjectively bad or vice versa. It doesn't work that way. What you like has no effect on the actual quality of the film.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Chrono_Cross

CanisWolfred wrote:

Once you start trying to say your opinion is objectionably correct, you lose every ounce of credibility you ever had. Just sayin'.

Respect, credibility, what's next?

I'm on a roll with you this week. haha

Oragami wrote:

Oh, and BTW @Chrono_Cross, I wasn't lying about how smart I was. I don't care if you (or anyone else for that matter) believe me or not.

I wasn't lying, either.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Arminillo

Nintendo_Ninja wrote:

I've got some more:

Snivy is overrated

That is something ive never heard before.

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

WhiteNoise17

As much as I love her as a character and her backstory I wish Nintendo would stop shoving Rosalina down our throats and do more with Daisy, who in my opinion is way better than Peach as I believe her kingdom was only in jeopardy once and she was kidnapped once. They could show more respect for Luigi's 'girl'. Though I'll admit I can't stand that annoying 'Hi I'm Daisy" she seems to only and always say.

Capcom at E3: Guys we're sorry about how we've been treating Mega Man so we're gonna make it up to you by releasing the Mega Man Cancelled Collection with all the titles we cancelled in the condition they we're in just before we pulled the plug. Now who wants Street Fighter X Monster Hunter?

kkslider5552000

CaviarMeths wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Which is all fine, as long as you have no interest in film making or critique. Film isn't just an art, it's also a craft. There are skilled craftsman and unskilled ones. Every product is subject to opinion, but that doesn't stop them from being objectively good, bad, or somewhere in between.

And no, Sharknado is most definitely an objectively bad film. That's why it's famous as a comedy. It's so bad that you can't help but laugh at it. It is subjectively good because it is objectively bad.

You guys are on like subjective and objective are two mutually exclusive terms. Like if a film is objectively good, it couldn't possibly be subjectively bad or vice versa. It doesn't work that way. What you like has no effect on the actual quality of the film.

This discussion is too good for the shameful lack of thought that brought this up in the first place.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

VmprHntrD

One of them probably not stated here already in so many pages, that the classic/vintage video game market feels that the old games are not really your own but they are communal property that you're only allowed to do certain things and not others to them because there's the off chance it will affect the cash value of the game for other individuals into it for the monetary value. I still live in the world where you pay for an item, you can do what you wish with it.

My Personal Video Game / Accessory List
http://tanooki.byethost16.com/

shaneoh

tanookisuit wrote:

One of them probably not stated here already in so many pages, that the classic/vintage video game market feels that the old games are not really your own but they are communal property that you're only allowed to do certain things and not others to them because there's the off chance it will affect the cash value of the game for other individuals into it for the monetary value. I still live in the world where you pay for an item, you can do what you wish with it.

Not unpopular at all, nor is the view that if games are not being sold for a certain amount of time then they are free to access by illegitimate means.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

ArabPikachu

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I enjoyed Megaman X7.

Welcome to the "I like Mega Man X7" club

http://www.capcom-unity.com/amunity/go/shield/privateProfile

Nintendo Network ID: Fikachu

swordx

Mickey wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

We can all declare that Sonic '06 is a horribly designed, buggy game,

Um... dude? Like, I hate to break it to you, but... like, there are people out there who... uh... I mean, I'm not saying I'm one of them, but... yeah.

What I'm trying to say is that there are people out there who can honestly say they like Sonic 06 to some extent.

Yeah I might have kinda sorta liked the Silver levels...And maybe the Sonic levels when they weren't glitching out, too...

swordx

Mickey

swordx wrote:

Mickey wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

We can all declare that Sonic '06 is a horribly designed, buggy game,

Um... dude? Like, I hate to break it to you, but... like, there are people out there who... uh... I mean, I'm not saying I'm one of them, but... yeah.

What I'm trying to say is that there are people out there who can honestly say they like Sonic 06 to some extent.

Yeah I might have kinda sorta liked the Silver levels...And maybe the Sonic levels when they weren't glitching out, too...

We just met, but I already don't know you anymore.

Edited on by Mickey

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

RR529

I like pre-rendered backgrounds, and wish we'd see more of them.

The way they looked in FFX, NG:DS, and Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale were gorgeous.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Kewlan

I like Skyward Sword.

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

SkywardLink98

Kewlan wrote:

I like Skyward Sword.

It's really sad that this is the unpopular opinion.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

Nintendo_Ninja

Also, I think that Zelda 2 (although it was good) should be the one and only side scrolling Zelda title. I have no idea why people would prefer it compared to a top down view or 3D game.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

Nintendo_Ninja

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Kewlan wrote:

I like Skyward Sword.

It's really sad that this is the unpopular opinion.

I know, right?! It was hailed as the best Zelda that ever was like a year or 2 ago (which was pretty exaggerated), and now it's the black sheep of the franchise instead of Wind Waker. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst either.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic