Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 801 to 820 of 12,088

TheKingOfTown

Jaz007 wrote:

In agree that game like GTA shouldn't be made, but it's not because of the crimes in them, so much as the sex, filthy language, and whatnot. I would love a GTA without those things that I could still run over people, steal, and whatnot in. I think just higher standard should be had in general for developers. I also agree that it does affect gamers like me when stuff in those games. It's very frustrating when you see a great looking game ruined by the F bomb. Another question about when you make something on how it affects someone, is that anything has that potential. Captain America could affect somebody in the wrong way. I personally think that what's wrong in of itself should be a the bases for the most part though. There exceptions though.

Umm, so sex and language is bad, but running over people is okay? That makes absolutely no sense.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

Jaz007

TheKingOfTown wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

In agree that game like GTA shouldn't be made, but it's not because of the crimes in them, so much as the sex, filthy language, and whatnot. I would love a GTA without those things that I could still run over people, steal, and whatnot in. I think just higher standard should be had in general for developers. I also agree that it does affect gamers like me when stuff in those games. It's very frustrating when you see a great looking game ruined by the F bomb. Another question about when you make something on how it affects someone, is that anything has that potential. Captain America could affect somebody in the wrong way. I personally think that what's wrong in of itself should be a the bases for the most part though. There exceptions though.

Umm, so sex and language is bad, but running over people is okay? That makes absolutely no sense.

I don't think that hey should explode in Mortal Kombat gore, but I generally think that language and sex is worse than violence.

Jaz007

Aviator

technotaylor98 wrote:

But cursing and sex have no place in video games whatsoever.

But they have place in other forms of art, books, movies, tv shows, music, paintings, sculptures.

Also, I'd like to remind you that you probably got into this world through a combination of both cursing and sex, so there's that too.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

CaviarMeths

Unpopular opinion: EarthBound really wasn't that good.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

ArabPikachu

I don't think banning videogames with curse language would be successful.

However, It'd be great if more videogames deemphasized sex.

But they have place in other forms of art, books, movies, tv shows, music, paintings, sculptures.

I get annoyed by depictions of sex in videogames but it's even more annoying when live actors are having extramarital affairs with each other in movies and tv shows.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/amunity/go/shield/privateProfile

Nintendo Network ID: Fikachu

WhiteNoise17

Ahem.. while not my favorite Shadow the Hedgehog is the most interesting character in the Sonic the Hedgehog series because:
1. He has an interesting(but convoluted) back story.
2.His dark attitude is a good balance for the peppy other characters. Though he does come across as emo sometimes.
3.He does not use "THE REAL TRUE POWER OF TEAMWORK!!" I mean who seriously says this?

Capcom at E3: Guys we're sorry about how we've been treating Mega Man so we're gonna make it up to you by releasing the Mega Man Cancelled Collection with all the titles we cancelled in the condition they we're in just before we pulled the plug. Now who wants Street Fighter X Monster Hunter?

Oragami

technotaylor98 wrote:

This is my last post about this matter, so any further mentions @me won't be answered.
I do love it how everyone has these "embrace everyone" and "an opinion can't be wrong" philosophies, yet they seem to only apply to those who don't have Biblical opinions.

These are the top 5 best selling games of all time.
Tetris (Rated E)
Wii Sports (Rated E)
Minecraft (Rated E/10)
Super Mario Bros. (Rated E)
Mario Kart Wii (Rated E)
Anyway, see y'all later! i'm leaving this thread being I have an actual life to get back to, and some good old non M-rated games!

Edited on by Oragami

New PS4 owner
Yeah, guitars are cool.

My musical project Comet Tail made a couple of recordings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zUoWWO1v4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evBddvrm2U

Aviator

CaviarMeths wrote:

Unpopular opinion: EarthBound really wasn't that good.

I'd agree. Earthbound seems to be a big thing because a bunch of fanboys made a huge deal about it.

It is an okay JRPG, overrated way too much.

technotaylor98 wrote:

"an opinion can't be wrong"

An opinion can be wrong though.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Red_XIII

Some games handle M-rated stuff well, and for artistic merit as opposed to gratuitous smut and ultraviolence. EG Persona 4, Catherine, Spec Ops: The Line.

Red_XIII

Mickey

Egh, I'm a huge fan of Mario, but I don't like Super Mario Sunshine. Nothing against anyone who does, and I understand why someone would like it, I just couldn't get into it.

technotaylor98 wrote:

I do love it how everyone has these "embrace everyone" and "an opinion can't be wrong" philosophies, yet they seem to only apply to those who don't have Biblical opinions.

Well it obviously couldn't be because "Biblical opinions" don't usually involve embracing everyone.

Have fun with that actual life, brother.

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

CaviarMeths

I had no idea we were even discussing biblical opinions... I thought this was about the correlation between violence and video games...

Playing the victim is a pretty popular hobby though, I guess. It's easier to handle being wholly and unequivocally wrong if you just assume everyone is persecuting you.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

shaneoh

technotaylor98 wrote:

I have no problem with violence in games as long as it is not overkill and you are fighting for a good cause (like in Call Of Duty).

You do know that the good cause you speak of is a matter of opinion. One man's terrorism is another man's freedom fighting. I used to play a strip poker game on the Amstrad when I was 3. 23 years later, with plenty of violence, sex and cursing experienced in games and I still have a clean criminal record, have never played a game of strip poker and swear a lot less than I did as a child. Personal experience dictates that the only reason a video game could influence a person in any way is if that person was already mentally disturbed, and even then the game wouldn't be at fault, that person would already be planning on doing what they were going to do.

Think about it, they don't just go to the store and pick up a random game off the shelf, they look for something specific, they do research first. You don't buy a book without looking at the blurb, not if you had any serious intention of reading it.

technotaylor98 wrote:

Common sense also tells me that if you only play Mario games, then you will probably not have thoughts about doing anything worse than stomping a turtle.

Strangely I find the idea of stomping a turtle more abhorrent than killing a person. Not saying either is right, but what the hell is a turtle gonna do?

Here's an unpopular opinion, an M rated game doesn't mean it is filled with sex/violence and or swearing, the concepts and experience itself may be more than a younger person can understand.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

kkslider5552000

Aviator wrote:

I'd agree. Earthbound seems to be a big thing because a bunch of fanboys made a huge deal about it.

It is an okay JRPG, overrated way too much.

You know, there are many RPGs I prefer to Earthbound (especially its sequel), but its one of the few games I legitimately get annoyed when people try to downplay it. I don't think I necessarily get why people love the game, but I have an idea.

But before that "a bunch of fanboys made a big deal about it" is a stupid complaint because that describes everything ever that became more popular after its initial release. Wow so fans make a big deal about a thing they care about, what fascinating insight.

First of all, if you played this when it first came out and were like....8-14 years old, I can totally see why you would fall in love with the game. It's the young people on their journey through the ridiculous pop-culture America world, and considering how it is an SNES JRPG, young gamers getting a deep connection to a game like that at that time makes a lot of sense to me. Especially since I'm always a believer that a silly story can still keep you seriously invested. I mean, there's stuff like how you can get homesick and call your Mother to feel better or that you can buy a teddy bear to protect you and you actually drag it behind you on the overworld. Or the beginning of Jeff's part with Tony followed by riding the most shamelessly happy creature. It's just cute and really endearing. Not to mention the most well thought out and "adding to the world" guidebook ever. Even when I was going through comedy that I felt was fairly hit or miss or grinding, it was just so genuine and interesting. I think a real hardcore fan of the game could describe it better than I could but there's a real heart to the game that even most of my favorites could probably not hope to compare to.

And beyond all that, I'm confident in saying that the only games that are like Earthbound are games made a decade+ later that are inspired by Earthbound. That alone earns it my respect.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

8BitSamurai

"Unpopular Gaming Opinions"

Mickey wrote:

technotaylor98 wrote:

Well it obviously couldn't be because "Biblical opinions" don't usually involve embracing everyone.

Have fun with that actual life, brother.

Untitled

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

creeprtrainer52

my unpopular game opinion is that all 2d sonics suck sonic generations is the best lost world second best andSA2sucks

creeprtrainer52

Chrono_Cross

But before that "a bunch of fanboys made a big deal about it" is a stupid complaint because that describes everything ever that became more popular after its initial release. Wow so fans make a big deal about a thing they care about, what fascinating insight.

Earthbound's popularity kicked in long after it released. Mainly due to its lack of a VC release.

Gamers want what they can't have. They really wanted Earthbound on the Wii's VC. So, whether or not it was intentional, most Nintendo fans hyped up the game (regardless of ever playing it). This irrational urge produced years and years of news stories, forum topics and forum posts revolving around the lack of a single game on a single online service.

The hype doesn't make it a great game or even good. Its status is god-like (just like its successor: Mother 3), but its quality is nowhere near that and thus, gamers with brains realize its initial hype/praise was unnecessary. (Example: The Dark Knight)

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

kkslider5552000

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Earthbound's popularity kicked in long after it released. Mainly due to its lack of a VC release.

Gamers want what they can't have. They really wanted Earthbound on the Wii's VC. So, whether or not it was intentional, most Nintendo fans hyped up the game (regardless of ever playing it). This irrational urge produced years and years of news stories, forum topics and forum posts revolving around the lack of a single game on a single online service.

The hype doesn't make it a great game or even good. Its status is god-like (just like its successor: Mother 3), but its quality is nowhere near that and thus, gamers with brains realize its initial hype/praise was unnecessary. (Example: The Dark Knight)

This is misinformed. From everything I've read and understand, it was Ness' appearance in the Smash Bros games (especially Melee) that really made the series known to most people and thus why they cared. Starmen.net was shockingly well known back then too. This doesn't surprise me much considering Smash Bros has essentially revived 2 series and is probably the main reason we got Fire Emblem. The lack of VC release and controversy and the Mother 3 translation (and the game itself) added to that, but it was already a legit cult classic. That's why Tron in the 80s was considered a failure, but was considered a success for VHS release and was considered worth making a big sequel for eventually in 2010. It's why Shadow of the Colossus is more popular now than a majority of the games from 2005.

Also, don't give me the "smart people realize its overrated" line. Some of the smartest people I've ever met are big Earthbound fans, first of all. Second of all, if you don't like the game, that's fine. But don't pretend there's some unquestionable, objective reason for why a beloved game sucks just because you don't like it. Or at least if you do, have the decency to actually have reasons for why it sucks instead of pretending to have some level of superiority because you don't like a video game.

Of course I'm fairly certain you didn't mean that, but if you were trying to be sarcastic or humorous...it didn't work. It just came off as sad and pathetic.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Chrono_Cross

it didn't work. It just came off as sad and pathetic.

You mean like your posts? lol

his is misinformed. From everything I've read and understand, it was Ness' appearance in the Smash Bros games (especially Melee) that really made the series known to most people and thus why they cared. Starmen.net was shockingly well known back then too. This doesn't surprise me much considering Smash Bros has essentially revived 2 series and is probably the main reason we got Fire Emblem. The lack of VC release and controversy and the Mother 3 translation (and the game itself) added to that, but it was already a legit cult classic. That's why Tron in the 80s was considered a failure, but was considered a success for VHS release and was considered worth making a big sequel for eventually in 2010. It's why Shadow of the Colossus is more popular now than a majority of the games from 2005

Oh, please, save your silly excuses for own fantasy world. Super Snash Bros. Melee and a fan website are the causes of the game's praise?

Yeah, right. Dark Souls' popularity is solely on word of mouth and hype. People heard it was difficult, told other people they need to check it out and the fanbase overly praised it as the second coming. The similarities? Earthbound was overly hyped via word of mouth and was thoroughly hyped for quite some time. You cannot deny this, the debacle was flourishing for years after the release of the Wii.

In other words, if Nintendo released it when it was intentionally supposed to, expectations wouldn't be so high. Don't blame us for disliking an overly hyped bland RPG, blame yourselves for not closing your mouths.

Also, don't give me the "smart people realize its overrated" line. Some of the smartest people I've ever met are big Earthbound fans, first of all. Second of all, if you don't like the game, that's fine. But don't pretend there's some unquestionable, objective reason for why a beloved game sucks just because you don't like it. Or at least if you do, have the decency to actually have reasons for why it sucks instead of pretending to have some level of superiority because you don't like a video game.

As with most things, I try to avoid bringing nostalgia into the midst of things. Regarding video games, there are very few games I share a strong (let alone an existing), nostalgic bond with. I like to be realistic, and aside from Earthbound's graphical art direction and music, consider it either archaic or average.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

-Juice-

@Chrono_Cross That's a pity, because games are a form of art and can't be understood with a realistic point of view. You'll only truly enjoy games for what they are if you stop being so analytical and start being more emotional.

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

DiscoDriver43

When ever i see someone whine about games not having instruction manuals i am like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3DlIrvoHg (warning strong language) How many people actually read the manual.

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic