Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,261 to 7,280 of 12,088

shazbot

@Anti-Matter Yeah, I can see the audience to whom it would appeal, and I recognize its polish, but, subjectively, I hate the gameplay loop. Not enjoyable for me. That said, I wouldn't review it because I know it's not a style of game I enjoy.

shazbot

Blooper987

@shazbot maybe I just didn’t play it for enough time, but I found the gameplay to be a little repetitive and lacking in strategy. Granted I’m not a huge fan of rogue likes. I think Enter the Gungeon is the only one I find entertaining but I prefer games with set out challenges that I can learn and become better and better. I definitely see that Dead Cells is well made it just isn’t fun or challenging in a gratifying way.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

porto

Zuljaras wrote:

I really dislike Splatoon and ARMS. I find them extremely unappealing.

I'm not a big fan of that genre to begin with, so I'd agree.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

porto

Since you all loved my last ones I gave a new one. I won't be so uptight this time lol

• I don't like sports games. I never understood the appeal despite playing plenty.
  • I like what Nintendo's been doing with their rereleases. It gives people a chance to play games that they didn't because it was on the Wii U.
  • I don't like difficult games. Call me a wimp, but it just gets me angry and it doesn't make it fun.
  • In Other Waters is a beautiful game. I loved it!
  • I prefer the puzzle Zelda style rather then Breath of the Wild.
  • The best Zelda game is Skyward Sword. I don't know why, I've just always loved that game.
  • I can't stand Pokemon.

Edited on by porto

porto

kkslider5552000

Slowdive wrote:

Metroid: Samus Returns completely misses the point of what made the original so special, namely: dread and isolation.

That's...huh.

Like I'd never consider that. That's probably true enough.

...but y'know...it's a way better video game still shrugs

(the first 2 Metroids don't hold up, sorry, they really don't)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Anti-Matter

@Apportal
I never like mainstream sports such as soccer, basketball but i have interest with other sports such as Athletic sports and some Martial Arts.

Anti-Matter

Zuljaras

@Apportal "I don't like sports games. I never understood the appeal despite playing plenty."

Same here I literally can't play sports games. Yet the stupid FIFA sells like crazy. But I will go even further. I dislike racing games as well. With one exception Mario Kart. Also racing in GTA is fine.

Xyphon22

@Apportal @Zuljaras For me, it depends on the sport. Basketball is my absolute favorite sport, but I've never been able to get into basketball games (at least the sim ones, I love NBA Jam and the like). The controls are always so convoluted, I'd much rather just step outside and play on my real life hoop. I haven't played any in forever, but I've always liked football and golf games, so I'm looking forward to the new PGA2K game, maybe because I like golf but suck in real life so I can actually be good in a video game. Can't stand soccer in either real or virtual form, so yeah, never got the appeal of FIFA.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

porto

@Xyphon22 I’ve always thought I’d be good at basketball, but I’ve never got around to practicing.

I like soccer very much, and before COVID-19 I used to play in a team. But I can never get into sports games. Way too complicated lol

porto

NEStalgia

@Shadowthrone Minecraft normalized "empty world, build your own fun sandbox" as "the standard gameplay of the era". Though I'd lump it with GTAV. Technically there's nothing wrong with "digital legos" as an amusing game for creatives and children, but the way it swept the industry as a social media driven whirlwind where there was no "there" there, just unnerves to no end. Then again, I end up hating almost everything that unfolds as a social media driven frenzy. It's usually the worst things that everyone gravitates to because everyone else gravitated to it, without really knowing what they like about it.

@Slowdive Most of those arguments come down to "I don't like the art style", "I won't have colors in my Metroid!", "I bleed darkness". It's strange, the game is technically no more desolate and isolated than any other metroid. There's no more life forms there. The environment is natural environments with some animated waterfalls in the back or something. It's equally desolate. But it's colorful and moves faster. Most old GB and NES games felt "desolate" even ones that shouldn't. Something about the sound design and empty backdrops gave everything a sort of depressing feel, even if it was happy. That's one of the ways that Mario 3, even over Mario 2 became so special, it was one of the few NES games that didn't leave a weird emptiness inside when you were done playing it.

@Zuljaras @TheFrenchiestFry Splatoon is the first and only online shooter since Quake 1 that I actually find highly addictive and always engaging to return to and get totally hooked on. I think it comes down to the short matches and the weapon variety making it play completely different all the time. Switching between rollers, chargers, and splatlings makes it play like a whole other game. No other online shooter appeals to me even slightly....I get bored almost instantly. Splatoon, I get hooked every single time.

OTOH Smash bores me to tears. I play the story mode and then never touch the game again. It's briefly amusing, even briefly addicting, but burns itself out fast and feels like little more than button mashing, even if I am applying skill to get particularly hard fights.

@shazbot Similar to Minecraft, I find so many of the "social driven" obsessions to ring hollow. Dead Cells is a stone-ugly shallow, repetitive game that got over-hyped on the inter-tubes along with dozens of others. It's yet another one of the "incredibly hard just to be incredibly hard" games that have become a sub-genre of their own largely by a relatively niche echobox group of internet obsessives. See also, every From Software game ever. I know there's a niche that likes it, but it's just that, a niche.

-Agreed on Twitch/Discord!
-I love online random multiplayer in Splatoon and Arms....but generally in absolutely nothing else.
-Mostly agreed on PC master race being $$$$$, though consoles seem to be heading that route too. Butall the PC master race people will miss no chance to tell you they're doing it because it's cheaper....They can all explain endlessly why it's so much cheaper, yet whenever I run the numbers I never come up with the same results (Saying this as a former PC gamer for a decade who's last rig was over $3000 and lost 3 $450 video cards, 1 $150 PSU, and 2 $175 HDDs over 2 years...... I started buying consoles and haven't looked back, glancing occasionally every time someone insists it's cheaper....today unlike "back then.")
-Animal Crossing's loop has always been fine until ACNH. It was never a game you play for hours, it was a game you play for 15-70 minutes to check in on your island and take care of things, and it worked beautifully. ACNH broke that by basically making it a mobile gatcha loop without real money, where endless "engagement time" is required to grind endless in-game currency, to buy the never-ending upgrades, items, and changes.
-Retro classics.....they are fun, but IMO they're only fun if you're returning to them after having played them when they were new. I don't think they work, at all, coming to them now as though they were new. I can play original LoZ and find it as engaging as I did in the 80's....but, like riding a bike, it comes back to you the feelings and thought processes you had back in the 80's when you played it, so it's like a continuation. If I hadn't played it in the 80's and tried now I'd find it cumbersome, horrendously unintuative, overly simplistic, and generally dull. Worse than the retro classics though is the new indies that try to mimic retro classics as though blind to the flaws of those eras. Like Dead Cells........

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
"Animal Crossing's loop has always been fine until ACNH. It was never a game you play for hours, it was a game you play for 15-70 minutes to check in on your island and take care of things, and it worked beautifully."

Really??
I am playing ACNH right now for straight 5 hours again.

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter With ACNH I can believe that - because they made the whole thing around mobile-like gatcha mechanics designed to keep you interacting with the game for as long a time as possible. Granted, mobile games do it to keep you spending money, while ACNH is a traditional game without the continuous spending....but the mechanisms in the game are similar, even if it's not actually taking money from you. I find I end up playing for much longer periods of time, not because I'm having so much fun I want to keep playing, but because the way the game is designed, you have to keep playing to grind currency and resources....

You have complex island designs you want to build....and to do that you need a lot of bells, and to get a lot of bells you have to grind for long periods of time! Even you don't like that - that's why you time travel

NEStalgia

porto

Anti-Matter wrote:

Really??
I am playing ACNH right now for straight 5 hours again.

I have never played a video game for that long I typically play 30-60 minutes then take a break. The only time I can really get any game time is at night, where I play for 2 hours or so before going to bed. They say its bad for you though so I haven’t done it in a while.

Edited on by porto

porto

Zuljaras

@Apportal This is the right way to game. I have been obsessed with some games in the past and played all night long and then some more (damn you World of WarCraft!!!). It felt good but not for long. The burn out might make you hate games for a while and it is not healthy.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
What are you talking about?! 🤨
Both ACNL and ACNH are still have grinding activities.
Don't say ACNH is more like mobile games than ACNL.
I still have to work hard and do grinding on both ACNL and ACNH.

I did Time Travel on both ACNL and ACNH,
I did Lazy Camper Trick on ACNL to make my stuffs inside my bag bought by any Lazy campers with 2.5 until 5 times higher than actual prices,
I planted tons of Non native fruits and harvested all of them on both ACNL and ACNH,
I reset the game so many times for getting at least 1 Wanted villager on both ACNL and ACNH,
I applied custom pattern on the road to make street path on both ACNL and ACNH, I have to build my money more than Million bells to build the bridges and other outdoor objects on both ACNL and ACNH,
I spent a lot of times for house furnishing on both ACNL and ACNH,
I spent more than 7 hours to make my island planning design for Terraforming project with CorelDraw from my laptop on ACNH,
I have to grinding the time to get all stuffs from every single type of villagers on both ACNL and ACNH,
I still have to do tons of special things before getting Golden Tools on both ACNL and ACNH.

There are TONS of activities i did on both ACNL and ACNH so DO NOT say ACNL is not more grindy than ACNH.

Anti-Matter

Blooper987

@Anti-Matter @NEStalgia the only reason I like New Leaf more is cause I don’t like the crafting and building or the way there slowly rolling out updates that should’ve been in at the beginning.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

Anti-Matter

@Blooper987
Crafting and building are way more better activities on ACNH than on ACNL.
It feels like a semi RPG game where you have to collect materials and plan your activities before crafting.
I really understand of seasonal updates being applied on ACNH to prevent spoilers from seasonal events but it doesn't mean ACNH is worse than ACNL.
Even on ACNL still have a huge update Welcome Amiibo with returning 50 villagers, additional special villagers, new NPC Harvey, trailer van, quick way to summon specific villagers and getting rid the unwanted villagers, Tickets from reward after doing something to redeem new furnitures which in ACNH has been expanded into Nook Mile points.
Even on ACNL have no crafting and building but it still have grinding activities that i can put into more than 1,500 hours on ACNL.
Grandma Audrey broke my gameplay record with her 3,500 plus hours.

Anti-Matter

I-U

Slowdive wrote:

Metroid: Samus Returns completely misses the point of what made the original so special, namely: dread and isolation. The game was built around the limitations of the Game Boy hardware, and you cannot replicate or even enhance such a unique experience in the way MercurySteam did. It is very well explained by TheGamingBritShow and Game Maker's Toolkit

I don't want these developers ever again handling the franchise, or any other Nintendo one.

There are some good ideas in Samus Returns and the game looks solid on the 3DS, so I would be fine with them getting a chance at Metroid again with an original game. I don't want to see MercurySteam on another remake though entirely due to how much of Metroid II was lost in the new game. Samus Returns felt too predictable compared to the original in terms of where and how Metroids were fought. It didn't help either that the melee counter caused enemies to have a more predictable pattern as to give indication of when the counter could be done successfully. Personally, Samus Returns is one of my least favorite games in the Metroid Series and I do enjoy playing the original Metroid II more.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

shazbot

@Xyphon22 I 100% agree on hoops! Play in 2 different leagues (When real world stuff isn't happening) and you couldn't pay me to pick up a basketball game. But maybe it's because we're too close to the real thing.

@NEStalgia Have you ever played Rogue Legacy? That's my straight-up favorite rogue-lite. I can still hear the creaky door every time you enter the castle. I think Dead Cells vaguely reminds me of the fun I had with that. I enjoyed the challenge in getting through my first run of Dead Cells, and I can appreciate the polish of the game, but for the life of me I can't imagine beating the game with 5 Boss Cells on to find the 'secret ending.' I recently picked it up again after a couple of the updates, and it's still fun to me but -whew- makes me wish cheats were still a thing.

Also, seems like my unpopular gaming opinions are less unpopular than I thought.

@I-U I have this on 3DS, but haven't played it yet. Even if it's your least favorite, still worth playing through?

shazbot

Cotillion

Slowdive wrote:

Metroid: Samus Returns completely misses the point of what made the original so special, namely: dread and isolation. The game was built around the limitations of the Game Boy hardware, and you cannot replicate or even enhance such a unique experience in the way MercurySteam did. It is very well explained by TheGamingBritShow and Game Maker's Toolkit

I don't want these developers ever again handling the franchise, or any other Nintendo one.

@Slowdive I agree and expand that to some other Metroid games. Metroid was so much about the isolation and that's been lost in the modern games. You were always alone, trying to survive while completing the mission. Not saying they're not good games, but I hated when Fusion added that AI to guide and talk to you. Samus suddenly had support and someone to talk to and Prime 3 added more characters. It stripped that dread and isolation. I admit to not having tried Other M as of yet despite loving most of the other games in the series. It just looked so un-Metroid like, with Samus taking orders and whatnot.
The first 2 Prime games maintained the isolation aspect fairly well, though, IMO.

Cotillion

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic