Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,161 to 7,180 of 7,253

Anti-Matter

@MarioLover92
Sometimes i felt alienated by my choices to be different because i don't even like to dive in such that lousy lifestyle (playing smartphone games instead dedicated video games, MMO / MOBA, too much Marvel / lousy Western music or movies, etc).
I still love my Mom but i don't feel i want to communicate with other family members since we have completely different interest, i don't even like their interest and they don't even care with my interest. With such a disconnection like that, there is NO WAY i can talk my interest to them since they will not interest with my choices so why should i keep talking with them if i get alienated by my choices ? I will stay away from them since i will not getting anything positive feedback from them since they will not like me due to my different interest.

I felt i can find the TRUE friend from other peoples who are completely not from my family relatives. They might have connection when i talk about specific video games. The only way i can share and communicate with my interest without get alienated.

Sometimes i felt this world is NOT fair / doesn't make a sense for me. What is popular things by most peoples sometimes is NOT interesting for me and vice versa. I felt keep being alienated and forgotten by society just because i am different. Sometimes I felt this universe, the Earth i lived on has something completely wrong and they shouldn't be exist here because they keep alienating me with their lousy things for me.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

LzWinky

Ralizah wrote:

@Dogorilla I honestly prefer that approach over multiple difficulty options. Games are often at their best when they're balanced with a certain level of difficulty in mind (which is why I oppose introducing difficulty options to Souls games, for example, and think that the EO series should never have introduced multiple difficulty options), but an assist mode makes it where less skilled players can still have fun with the game.

I think it's a good way to make players of all skill levels happy.

I enjoyed Celeste’s and Xenoblade 2’s difficulty options. If the game is too grindy or difficult, I can adjust it as I go and wish more games would do it.

Current games: Pokemon Shield

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

cryptologous

@darkfenrir here's a thought experiment: "yes I actually don't enjoy difficult games because I find them stressful". Once again, difficulty is a facet of design. If you are going to have difficulty options, they need to be fully considered and implemented in tandem with the rest of the game's core components with the same level of care. @Dogorilla bringing up Celeste is a fairly decent example. If you aren't going to take the necessary steps to do this though, leave the difficulty options out of the game. Either make assist features and difficulty settings a fully realised investment, or spend those funds on making your sole, intended experience as solid as it can be.

I can't tell if you do or don't like grinding at this point so I'm a little confused with that second part.

cryptologous

darkfenrir

@cryptologous I could see why you wanted them to be that way, but I just rather something that can help. I don't mind if it's not cared for as much, just that I have a choice to! Pretty sure most games easy mode or harder mode is just less damage gotten / less hp on enemy, and for me? That's already good enough. I don't need them to go all fancy like. Yes, it's good if they really pour it all out, but I'd rather just a hotfix like that than none.

For grinding it just depends for me, sometimes if I enjoy the core loop I don't mind the grind because it's just more playing of what I want. But in the end I mostly play for the story, I don't seek challenges unless it's the occasional roguelites I enjoy. Like Wizard of Legend or Hades are the two I really enjoy, while I can't enjoy Dead Cells as much for some reason.

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Grumblevolcano

Grinding is nothing more than a precursor to microtransactions, the foundations are laid with a ridiculous grind and then microtransactions are added to either get extras from the grind or to make the grind easier. Take away the grind and most microtransactions have no purpose.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

iKhan

Ralizah wrote:

@Dogorilla I honestly prefer that approach over multiple difficulty options. Games are often at their best when they're balanced with a certain level of difficulty in mind (which is why I oppose introducing difficulty options to Souls games, for example, and think that the EO series should never have introduced multiple difficulty options), but an assist mode makes it where less skilled players can still have fun with the game.

I think it's a good way to make players of all skill levels happy.

Wow, I actually believe the exact opposite. I dislike "assist modes", because instead of allowing less skilled players to fully experience your game, they just cut out pieces of the experience altogether.

I think the correct way to deal with decreasing difficulty for less skilled players is to make the game less punishing and more forgiving. For example, I am absolutely awful at 2D Mario games. And honestly, Nintendo's approach of giving you a win button doesn't make the games more fun for me. I would much rather have a mode where Mario has a health bar or something, where I still feel the impact of taking damage, but I'm allowed to screw up more before having to suffer severe consequences. Then as I begin to feel more confident, I would ramp up the difficulty just like I do in other games.

I kind of see it as an accessibility matter. Not everyone comes from the same skill level or literacy, and different people learn skills at different rates. As someone who just isn't good at 2D Platformers as a whole (the only one I really spent any significant time with before adulthood was Aladdin on the SNES), I would love for indie darlings like Hollow Knight to have an easy mode

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Dogorilla

@iKhan Well it depends on the game. The Mario games that have items that just send you straight to the end of the level if you die enough times are useless for improving at the game, like you said. But going back to the example of Celeste, you can use the assist mode to slow the game down by 10% intervals or give yourself infinite dashes or invincibility, and you can turn any of those features on and off whenever you want. The game is probably best played without using any of those, but if you're finding it too difficult you can just slow the game down slightly to help you get past a tricky section. It doesn't take away from the experience, it's just a nudge in the right direction.

I agree with you that games should be accessible to people from any skill level, but I think assist modes can be a good way of achieving that, depending on how they're implemented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCyD3XoJgM

KoekiieWoekiie

The main Persona series should stay Playstation exclusive.
/s

KoekiieWoekiie

kkslider5552000

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Grinding is nothing more than a precursor to microtransactions, the foundations are laid with a ridiculous grind and then microtransactions are added to either get extras from the grind or to make the grind easier. Take away the grind and most microtransactions have no purpose.

You're right nowadays. But in the early days it was because JRPGs didn't want to rely as much on unfair difficulty to extend the length of their games, so they had bs grinding instead!

tbh, I can't think of a game that was improved with grinding. I'm sure it exists, but its not coming to mind. Any game with it I remember at best, being great DESPITE that.

NB, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Ryu_Niiyama

iKhan wrote:

It blows my mind that SoulCalibur's fanbase is so much smaller than Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter.

I not usually a fan of watching video games, but SoulCalibur (any of the games honestly) is just so damn fun to watch with the variety of weapons and the use of 3D space.

I think part of that is chalked up in part to how divisive the entries past II have been. II was EVERYWHERE, III was in arcade limbo until ps2 got it (but that cuts off the people they sucked in with xbox and GCN versions of II), IV was good aside from yoda being cheap as all get out (worse than Link), and V nearly killed the franchise. There is a reason VI is a step back in the timeline to undo the mess of V. Also IMO due to the its similarity to VF as a technical fighter rather than a juggle combo fighter like Tekken makes it less "exciting" to folks that don't live and breathe Fighting games. Kinda like why SF III as amazing as it is was popular with Fighting community but not with casual players. Hence the mothballing of the series and the psudo reboot with IV.

That being said in a similar vein I think VF deserves WAY more love than it gets. But that franchise is pretty much dead (for new entries, it is still played).

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Buizel

KoekiieWoekiie wrote:

/s

Why do you think that?

I think the Switch would be ideal for the series. Portability really lends iteself to perform small day-to-day activities.

Buizel

LzWinky

Buizel wrote:

KoekiieWoekiie wrote:

/s

Why do you think that?

I think the Switch would be ideal for the series. Portability really lends iteself to perform small day-to-day activities.

/s means sarcasm

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

iKhan

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Also IMO due to the its similarity to VF as a technical fighter rather than a juggle combo fighter like Tekken makes it less "exciting" to folks that don't live and breathe Fighting games.

What is a technical fighter vs a juggle combo fighter.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

LzWinky

iKhan wrote:

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Also IMO due to the its similarity to VF as a technical fighter rather than a juggle combo fighter like Tekken makes it less "exciting" to folks that don't live and breathe Fighting games.

What is a technical fighter vs a juggle combo fighter.

Not Smash.

kkslider5552000

Here's a good one: None of y'all ever actually bought Chibi Robo, stop pretending Ziplash killed a series that was barely alive.

Buizel

LzWinky wrote:

Buizel wrote:

KoekiieWoekiie wrote:

/s

Why do you think that?

/s means sarcasm

Thanks. How did I go for so long not knowing that? Also the opinion wouldn't have been too out of place in this thread anyway - there have been some questionable opinions here!

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Here's a good one: None of y'all ever actually bought Chibi Robo, stop pretending Ziplash killed a series that was barely alive.

To be fair, that was on one of Nintendo's poorest selling systems in the Gamecube (and towards the end of its life in the West). They've never really given the series much of a chance.

Buizel

kkslider5552000

Buizel wrote:

To be fair, that was on one of Nintendo's poorest selling systems in the Gamecube (and towards the end of its life in the West). They've never really given the series much of a chance.

It was on DS and 3DS (before Ziplash). In terms of Nintendo failures, it wasn't like Sin and Punishment 2 where they heavily promoted it and it still failed to sell. But it also wasn't Excitebots. Go back to Excitebots if you want to see a real example of a lack of marketing hurting a game, and one that would've had a bigger audience.

HobbitGamer

...I enjoyed Ziplash

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Buizel

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Buizel wrote:

It was on DS and 3DS (before Ziplash). In terms of Nintendo failures, it wasn't like Sin and Punishment 2 where they heavily promoted it and it still failed to sell. But it also wasn't Excitebots. Go back to Excitebots if you want to see a real example of a lack of marketing hurting a game, and one that would've had a bigger audience.

Wasn't aware of the DS game - it seems neither of those made it to Europe. And the 3DS game was another spin-off to my knowledge.

That said...I can't comment too much as the only game I've played in the series is Zip Lash!

Buizel

DarthNocturnal

The original is one of my favorite Gamecube games. I do have Ziplash w/ amiibo, but I've yet to play it. I got it for $15 (new), so, if it's a dud, I can feel good knowing that I only paid as much as the amiibo itself was worth.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic