Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,781 to 6,800 of 12,088

Heavyarms55

@Ralizah I would want new features. Real functionality.

When Sony brought VR to a home console, without needing a 2000+ dollar gaming PC? That was a big deal and a pretty awesome new feature - despite the fact that I can't play VR games - I was very impressed.

Then you have Nintendo, which didn't "reinvent the wheel" with Switch. They made the simple but brilliant change of making the first truly practical hybrid game device.

Back in the day Sony made waves by having first, CD and then DVD support built into their systems which was a big deal at the time and a very nice bonus - I for one watched DVDs on my PS2 for years!

Xbox having an internal hard drive and groundbreaking online support were two amazing new features at the time as well.

Other examples: GBA-SP having a rechargeable battery and lit screen or N64 with the analog stick and 3D graphics. 3DS with streetpass and 3D visuals. The whole PS360 generation of standardized out of the box wireless, rechargeable controllers.

These are just some examples of the kind of improvements over the years that I would want from a new device.

These are the kind of new features and functionality that I'm looking for in a new product. And looking at PS5 and XboxX all I'm seeing are improved versions of the same stuff we already have.

I never bought a PS4 Pro, why? Because all it is is a better PS4 with no other real changes. And looking at PS5, the only thing I am seeing is PS4 Pro+ with the rule that PS4 Pro+ games can't be played on the older machines. Same with XboxX. Yes there's a lot more power under the hood and you've got things like faster loading times, better graphics and whatever 3D audio is ( I've read about it but I don't think I'll really understand it until I can hear it for myself ) but that just doesn't impress me.

I don't know what the next big feature in gaming will be that impresses me, but so far, PS5 and XboxX haven't.

In a big way PS5 and XboxX remind me of my main complaint with smartphones. We get new versions that although they have better tech under the hood, they aren't adding anything new that really affects my regular use of the device.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Miles456

Really unpopular opinion, but I think animal crossing new horizons is the worst game in the mainline series.

The game, in my opinion, is nothing but a glorified happy home designer with some basic, BASIC features of the series. The value of money is close to nothing, there are no upgrades or unlocks in sight after the first month of playing, plus so much more.

But let's start at the top. This game is fundamentally different from the rest of the mainline games. To some, this is absolutely, without a doubt, the best animal crossing game. However, from my perspective, the game makes some major sacrifices to be, in my eyes, advertising and social media friendly.

Let's start with the value of money. In past games, money gave the freedom to do what you wanted. It tied to furniture, shops, shop upgrades, home upgrades, etc, and was the main driving force to do the various tasks the game provided you (fishing, catching bugs, gyroids, fossils, etc). This created the ever addicting loop. You do fun, yet short and repetitive tasks to earn money to unlock more stuff till you run out of money then you do tasks and the loop continues.

So, let's say that money stopped giving you that reward. All of a sudden, the upgrades and unlockables were suddenly stopped, let's say about a month in (which is almost nothing in animal crossing), and all you were left with were the short tasks. All of a sudden, the want and need to complete these small tasks becomes next to nothing.

"BUT MILES" you might be saying, "THAT'S NOT A VALID COMPLAINT. THERE ARE NOOK MILES. LITERALLY ITS A BUTTON AWAY". And yes there are nook miles. But what do they do? They give out quality of life updates at best, and SHUDDERS DIYs at worst. Boy DIYs i'll get to them in a sec. Even though it can be considered a valid effort, nook miles do nothing to fix the basic problems of the game and splitting into two currencies.

Upgrades, or the lack thereof. One of the things I was most excited about seeing in ACNH was the unlockables that would happen down the line. The crazy large shops, just what would they look like on a crisp 1080p HD screen? Guess that dream is going down the drain. Hope you love your PhOTo REAdY island cause it's all you're gonna see. This is definitely the more pet peeve of complaints, but this game just looks like it was made to be shared on social media, and shared only.

In many ways, this game really feels like a glorified happy home designer with basic elements from the GC version with no charm.

Next up, Multiplayer. Animal Crossing was always better when shared with family and friends. However, there was always a common complaint that even if you visited a friend, there really was nothing to do except mess around and visit shops together. In New Leaf they addressed this complaint almost perfectly with Tortimer's Island. They presented minigames, a nice tropical setting and mini rewards for completing those small minigames.

In New Horizons? Nothing. Not one thing. No island to visit. No minigames to play. There aren't even any shops to browse like in main street. Some of my fondest memories were playing ACNL with my sister. Those minigames, despite being simple, were fun.

And god forbid you actually want to visit someone's island once. The process takes forever the UI is clunky, and overall is just more trouble than it's worth.

Last point (I know this is a long read) The life and charm of the series has been sucked dry. Even looking at what's here. The characters are bland, have no life, and repeat the same things over and over and over again. Half of the cast in the previous game is MIA (like Brewster) or do little to nothing (like isabelle). There's no purpose for half of these people to even be here, and the result is a lifeless town no matter what you do.

This game is only good in a picture. It looks interesting like there's depth and options. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous. But aside from that it's missing everything that made animal crossing what it was.

It's just sad to see. As a fan of the series ever since wild world, I've never had my dreams crushed so badly like this. I pray that this is a one-time thing, and that it recovers at some point. I'd be very sad if this is how the series goes from here on.

And thanks for making it this far

Hopefully from a future writer lol

Miles456

@Miles456 OOP and I never got back to DIYs. In short they're the worst. Collecting materials is the most boring and tedious activity ever in animal crossing. Getting furniture from DIYs worsens the whole money value issues. The menus for crafting is a hot mess. The WHOLE THING is a hot mess. But yeah lol. OH and mystery islands also suck ok rant over sorry

Edited on by Miles456

Hopefully from a future writer lol

LzWinky

@Miles456 For the sake of not triple posting, I suggest using the "Edit" button instead

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

JoeDiddley

I prefer SMT IV Apocalypse over SMT IV.

It might even be my favourite SMT game of those I’ve played so far (probably 8 ish). The story isn’t as bad as people make out. And the battle system is the most fun and refined yet. Having a map also helps immensely.

I wouldn’t mind if SMT V follows this direction.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

JoeM103

@Heavyarms55 If you search for 8D audio on youtube you'll find loads of examples. They work best with a good set of headphones rather than speakers. Have a look for anything by Pentatonix, they seem to be a bit ahead of the game with all this stuff as I believe they recorded a full album using it.

It's pretty cool as a novelty but i cant see myself trading out my queen albums any time soon.

JoeM103

Switch Friend Code: SW-3487-3999-7859 | My Nintendo: Meadie

JoeM103

My unpopular opinion - Animal Crossing seems like the most dull game I have ever seen. I cant understand it's popularity. the way I see it games are amazing because they allow you to virtually do something that would be impossible (or improbable) in real life. Want to experience the battlefield without the commitment and danger? Call of duty. Want to race your friends on crazy courses with silly weapons? Mariokart. Want to explore a deserted alien world? Metroid. If i wanted to endlessly fish and catch bugs theres literally nothing stopping me doing that in real life.

I know that's not always the point of games but I just don't see the hook that has got so many people onto Animal Crossing that other simulators don't ever see.

JoeM103

Switch Friend Code: SW-3487-3999-7859 | My Nintendo: Meadie

Wargoose

@JoeM103 the hook is the design aspect of it. Going from a tent with a sleeping bag on an island, to a mansion on an island you've helped design. The fishing and bug catching are just a means to get cash. The fun is in the development of your island over time. Once you've got everything looking the way you want it, it becomes a bit boring. It takes a while to hit that point though, and it's quite a relaxing game to play for 15 minutes every now and then

Wargoose

Heavyarms55

@JoeM103 I've put around 500 hours into the game between New Leaf and New Horizons and in all honesty I still don't really know how to explain why I enjoy it. But I do feel like it's just a game you have to play yourself to understand.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Anti-Matter

@JoeM103
Animal Crossing is a Life Simulation game, NOT an Action game / RPG / Strategy / Metroidvania / Survival / etc.
When you expect Animal Crossing must have something Adrenaline Rush or Quick pace, you will get nothing.
Animal Crossing is a Slow pace game, though you can speed up the day by Time Travel.
Animal Crossing is like vegetarian game when you expect Action games like meatatarian game.
Why Animal Crossing is so addictive for some peoples ? Because it felt like you have interest with something like Ikebana / Tea ceremony / Zen meditation.

Anti-Matter

Dogorilla

Anti-Matter wrote:

@JoeM103
When you expect Animal Crossing must have something Adrenaline Rush or Quick pace, you will get nothing.

Tell that to the scorpions and tarantulas...

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Anti-Matter

Dogorilla wrote:

Anti-Matter wrote:

@JoeM103

Tell that to the scorpions and tarantulas...

And.... Bees. 😆
Run or your face get stinged !

Anti-Matter

Buizel

JoeM103 wrote:

If i wanted to endlessly fish and catch bugs theres literally nothing stopping me doing that in real life.

Good for you. But fishing and bug catching aren't really the most accessible (or moral, depending on who you ask) things to do in real life, especially if you live in a city. Plus the effort required and the reward gained are quite different between game and reality. A big part of the appeal of Animal Crossing is building your own personalised space...which unfortunately many do no have the luxury to do in real life (at least, not to the extent that Animal Crossing lets you).

I get that it might not appeal to everyone. To be honest, I enjoy the game - but at most can maybe get 20 or so hours out of each title before I move on to something else. Conversely, some will easily get hundreds of hours!

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

MarioVillager92

@Anti-Matter Or in New Horizons' case, wasps. Funnily enough, honeybees don't sting you if you fail to catch them. They just fly away. lol

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Krull

@JoeM103 Amen, my friend. Animal Crossing - there’s no story; no skill requirement; no character progression. I see it as just a glorified, albeit very charming, clicker. It has no attraction for me at all. However, I can see why others like it, and I’m impressed by people who build replicas of Hyrule or whatever. It’s just not for me.

Bit like Minecraft - I can see the appeal, but it’s not an appeal to my personal tastes.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

iKhan

Here's one that's become increasingly unpopular as of late.

Characters who didn't originate in a video game or who have never been on a Nintendo console will NEVER be in Smash Bros.

Those are the rules. And despite being bent and stretched, they have NEVER been broken.

No Goku, no 2B, no Masterchief.

Oh and while we're at it, Microsoft isn't putting Halo on Switch. I think the only internally developed Microsoft IP that might show up on a NIntendo platform are those from Rare, or Rare Replay.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

I always found it interesting that Cloud was shown in a 3DS Final Fantasy spinoff you've all already forgotten existed, the same direct that confirmed Cloud for Smash 4. That's an odd coincidence...?

I'm undecided if the "has to be on Nintendo already" is as definitive a rule as always or if Sakurai has just gotten lucky though. I mean, were obscure spinoff games the deciding factor for why certain popular characters were in Smash? But yeah, a non-video game character is never gonna be in Smash. Rights issues alone would kill Goku being in Smash, I assume.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Zuljaras

I really dislike the Shantae games even if it claims to be in the Metroidvania genre that I love so much.

Animation style it just looks like a fanservice games for horny people. It puts too much emphasis on playful girls and I just can't take them seriously even for a game.

kkslider5552000

Zuljaras wrote:

I really dislike the Shantae games even if it claims to be in the Metroidvania genre that I love so much.

Animation style it just looks like a fanservice games for horny people. It puts too much emphasis on playful girls and I just can't take them seriously even for a game.

I'm not sure what's funnier about this statement, "claims to be Metroidvania" or "playful girls". Especially with your Dracula avatar, I imagine this is being said by SoTN Dracula's voice and it is the funniest thing.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic