Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,781 to 6,800 of 6,820

Ralizah

Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise is arguably the best game on the Xbox 360, and I'd put it against most of Nintendo's best games.

DKC games are OK. Flashy, but they were still pretty solid platformers. I still wouldn't put them up against the best platformers of that gen, though, like Yoshi's Island or Rocket Knight Adventures.

I haven't played enough of Rare's N64 games to have an opinion on them, however.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

CreamyDream

Not only do I disagree with all of you on the DKC games, but I actually think Donkey Kong Country 2, 3, Returns, and Tropical Freeze are better games than any 2D Mario, and I think 2D Mario is better than Yoshis Island. (I never played Rocket Knight so I can't comment on that)

Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World are the first games I have ever played, so the amount of nostalgia i have for them is immeasurable. But Yoshi's Island's levels are so poorly paced and the scoring system is abysmal. The game expects you to explore every nook and cranny and take your time but also never get hit. It's truly absurd; the game is only fun if you ignore the scoreboard altogether. And even then, the insta-death pitfalls and spikes are extremely annoying in such long levels. Woolly World vastly improves on Yoshi's Island in almost every way.

SMW has nothing particularly wrong with it, but I just don't enjoy it as much as the DKC games. I don't like how once you're familiar with SMW, you can just fly over entire levels, and I don't like the abundance of the auto-scrolling levels. My favorite part of SMW is the bonuses and secrets, but I think DKC2 simply handles that a lot better.

DKC2 games, in general, convey a sense of adventure and conflict much better than any Mario game which feel more like a series of platforming challenges rather than an adventure.
Also, DKC3 is the only game to actually improve and upgrade the overworld map design that was started by SMB3; it does an excellent job of making everything feel like a cohesive world.

Edited on by CreamyDream

CreamyDream

MisterPi

I remember thinking viva piñata was gonna be a game I absolutely loved. But then I played it and found it didn't hold my attention at all. I enjoy it in theory. Of their 360 days though, yeah that has to be the best game they made from that era

MisterPi

kkslider5552000

Out of every commonly stated opinion about BOTW, with the exception of weapon durability, all of them are accurate. Both positive and negative. Literally all bits of high praise or complaints you've seen about the game are correct on some level.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

Snaplocket

CreamyDream wrote:

I think Octopath Traveler's art style is very unappealing and just different for the sake of being different without any thoughtful reasoning.
The sprites and the environments simply dont look like they mix well at all. I know "that's the point" but that doesnt change the fact that it doesnt mix well at all.

It's a cheap style gimmick

On one hand, this a totally fair opinion and I would really like a big budget HD version ala FF XV. On the flipside, I've seen enough 8-bit throwbacks and semi-low budget 3D JRPGs (Xenoblade 2, Tales series, Shining Resonance, YS VIII, Legend of Heroes franchise) that it makes for a nice change of pace. It reminds me of Four Swords Adventures and I kinda like the look but not crazy about it either.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

HappyAxiom

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Out of every commonly stated opinion about BOTW, with the exception of weapon durability, all of them are accurate. Both positive and negative. Literally all bits of high praise or complaints you've seen about the game are correct on some level.

Why make an exception for opinions about weapon durability? Just curious...

HappyAxiom

Meowpheel

Probably because the game drowns you in weapons so them breaking is basically meaningless.

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DarthNocturnal

While the durability system “works“, I dislike how none of the weapons feel special. Weapons and weapon upgrades felt like a milestone in prior games, and there's nothing in place to let you make a weapon feel more like it's yours (like in Skyrim; yeah, all weapons of the same type and material look the same, but yours is automatically more awesome, especially after you upgrade it and maybe give it an enchantment, plus it's own name).

I'd settle for weapons dulling (instead of breaking), and a smithing system that takes a few pages from the game's cooking system. Let you create your your own “Master Sword“.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

LuckyLand

In my opinion Super Mario World is the worst 2D Mario game ever (except Super Mario 2 Jap / Lost levels probably)

I totally agree with @DarthNocturnal about the weapons in Breath of the wild

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

DarthNocturnal

@CreamyDream

Why? What's wrong with it? I mean I know “crafting” is apparently a marketable thing which has kinda cheapened it.... but they already had us digging around for materials in Skyward Sword for gear upgrades. Might as well go all the way.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

CreamyDream

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@CreamyDream

Why? What's wrong with it? I mean I know “crafting” is apparently a marketable thing which has kinda cheapened it.... but they already had us digging around for materials in Skyward Sword for gear upgrades. Might as well go all the way.

Breath of the Wild had the player spend a lot of time pausing and using the inventory menu.

I completely disagree with you because I think the more time spent in the menu and the less time spent adventuring, the more boring and pace-breaking the game is.

I honestly dont think taking your time to augment your sword with the Orb of Flame is interesting at all; it wont change the way you approach situations in any meaningful way. You'll just hit the thing and it'll go on fire now, or poison, or do a tad more damage.

I prefer unlockables that actually change the way you play and interact with the world and enemies like the Hook Shot or Deku Leaf. Crafting is boring

Edited on by CreamyDream

CreamyDream

Meowpheel

Assuming you can't craft a hook shot

Edited on by Meowpheel

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DarthNocturnal

Clawshot > Hookshot. I want to be Spider Link again.

@CreamyDream

I don't really have exactly how it'd work worked out in my head, aside from maybe borrowing some mechanics from cooking. Iron ore + ruby = fire sword? Add more iron for durability or attack? And hey, crafting alternate versions of old Zelda tools could be rad; craft a shock clawshot that can be used to connect power conduits, anyone?

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

kkslider5552000

HappyAxiom wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Out of every commonly stated opinion about BOTW, with the exception of weapon durability, all of them are accurate. Both positive and negative. Literally all bits of high praise or complaints you've seen about the game are correct on some level.

Why make an exception for opinions about weapon durability? Just curious...

Because it misses the point of what the game was trying to with its variety of weapons that are easily found on enemies among other places.

Like, you can have a problem with it but you should have a problem with how the game handles weapons in general instead because in context of how it works and the game it is in, it was the right choice.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

DanteSolablood

@DarthNocturnal I'm pretty sure you can get a Zelda Mash Up pack for Minecraft Switch Edition... you can craft all the swords you like & all the moblins you like will spawn at night. Problem solved.

Danté: Old, cool & wise (the latter two are lies)
3DS FC: 1461-6243-5395
Switch FC: SW-4146-5915-6308
"Friendship is rare, hand me that shotgun buddy, hand me that chair."

Twitter:

DanteSolablood

@DarthNocturnal Well, just download the Adventure Time Mash Up pack. You still get a blonde sword wielding hero.... plus you get a shapeshifting dog!

Yes, Adventure Time & Zelda are interchangeable... now THAT'S an unpopular gaming opinion!!

Danté: Old, cool & wise (the latter two are lies)
3DS FC: 1461-6243-5395
Switch FC: SW-4146-5915-6308
"Friendship is rare, hand me that shotgun buddy, hand me that chair."

Twitter:

HappyAxiom

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Because it misses the point of what the game was trying to with its variety of weapons that are easily found on enemies among other places.

Like, you can have a problem with it but you should have a problem with how the game handles weapons in general instead because in context of how it works and the game it is in, it was the right choice.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly but let me tell you how I feel about BotW's weapon system: I HATE it. Breaking and switching weapons constantly isn't fun to me. It's the sole reason why I strongly dislike BotW.

HappyAxiom wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Out of every commonly stated opinion about BOTW, with the exception of weapon durability, all of them are accurate. Both positive and negative. Literally all bits of high praise or complaints you've seen about the game are correct on some level.

Why make an exception for opinions about weapon durability? Just curious...

The reason I asked you my previous question though is as follows. Liking or disliking something in a video game is always someone's opinion and you can't tell anyone they're wrong about it. You can disagree, but the only time you can say someone else's opinion is flat out wrong is when that opinion physically or mentally hurts other people. A weapons system in a video game is not one of those cases.

HappyAxiom

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic