Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,761 to 6,780 of 6,965

CanisWolfred

Bunnymentendo wrote:

Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark have not aged well. I couldn't get used to their controls, they always felt clunky to me.

Thankfully, every console FPS developer since the release of Halo: Combat Evolved has agreed with that sentiment, because yeah, in terms of controls and basic movement, those two really have not aged well. The best aspects were in regards to weapon and level design, the way enemies reacted to players based on where they're shot (why is this not more common?!), the variety of levels and setpieces, and their general atmosphere. Honestly, you should try the Timesplitters games if you ever get the chance. It takes the design philosophy of 007/PD and combines them with modern console FPS controls.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

MegaSwitch

Sometimes I wish PokemonMysteryDungeon, would replace the main series.
The plots are better. And I like the concept of a turn based RPG that does not switch to a battle screen every time you get into a fight. It keeps the action going.

Edited on by MegaSwitch

MegaSwitch

MegaSwitch

@GyroZeppeli also, I forgot to mention that I like Mystery Dungeons difficulty alot better.

MegaSwitch

ReaderRagfish

I grew tired of the mainline Pokemon games after Black/White, but wasn't really a fan of mystery dungeon either. Just seemed kind of unbalanced. Granted, I only played Blue Rescue Team.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Tyranexx

I liked Blue Rescue Team overall. The plot was refreshingly different in terms of anything Pokemon-related, some of the missions were fun, and exploring dungeons in and of itself was also a novelty for me at the time.

That said, what drove me away from the series was the finicky recruitment for some more powerful Pokemon plus those 99 floor dungeon monstrosities....Soooo much frustration. I also lost a Friend Bow of all things at one point. I was careful about saving, but quick saves only get you so far in that game.

I've heard later entries were more merciful, but the post-game's imbalanced ridsk/reward system drove me away from the series entirely.

Ironically I ended up liking the first Pokemon Ranger more.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started
Currently playing: Pokemon Ultra Sun, any non-RPG on the SNES Classic

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Xploder9825

Here's a very unpopular opinion: I think E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial on the Atari 2600 was a good game if you read the manual.

Xploder9825

ReaderRagfish

@GyroZeppeli Super Meat Boy was alright, but it wasn't really that hard unless you were going for 100% completion. And with the way the game works, you can just mindlessly throw yourself at the game and eventually you'll come away victorious.

MegaSwitch

@RibbonLass I keep forgetting to buy ARMS. I played one of the test fires and really enjoyed it. A fighting game where theres no secret techniques or tricks and all you need is a good strategy is right up my ally way.

MegaSwitch

Anti-Matter

RibbonLass wrote:

ARMS is the best Nintendo franchise of all time!

Agree...!! 😆

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NEStalgia

@MegaSwitch I keep doing forward quarter circle, reverse halve circle, up HP, z right to down quarter circle right, LK 3/4 circle forward back,, HP+HK->LP......nothing is happening!

I've grown to love the fighting genre in spite of it's flaws but...dang, every time I look at KoF or GG/BB's movesets, or the 100+ moves per character in Tekken, my eyes water.

NEStalgia

ReaderRagfish

@NEStalgia I'm pretty used to them, but I have friends who can't pull off a shoryuken to save their lives.

Agriculture

I did not care for the Half-Life series.

Agriculture

TheAwesomeBowser

Mario Odyssey was 2017's GOTY.

Check out my Mario Maker troll level! Level code: 4CDF-0000-03CE-3189
Steamed Hams!

NEStalgia

@Agriculture this ^^. Half-Life 1 was pretty amazing for its time. It really took the shooter genre that was just blowing stuff away in corridors and added a cinematic aspect, particularly the first few chapters, that kind of defined the future evolution of shooters/AAA story telling through present. HL-2 was terrible though. The story is incomprehensible, incomplete, and the shooting is bland. And the storytelling method means you miss half the story.

NEStalgia

subpopz

@NEStalgia The storytelling method of HL2 is still one of the best, IMO. That you are always in Gordons viewpoint, only knowing what he sees and hears, makes it incredibly immersive. Story is pretty simple and easy to follow, so this kind of immersion works without the need for cutscenes showing things going on elsewhere.

subpopz

Agriculture

NEStalgia wrote:

@Agriculture this ^^. Half-Life 1 was pretty amazing for its time. It really took the shooter genre that was just blowing stuff away in corridors and added a cinematic aspect, particularly the first few chapters, that kind of defined the future evolution of shooters/AAA story telling through present. HL-2 was terrible though. The story is incomprehensible, incomplete, and the shooting is bland. And the storytelling method means you miss half the story.

I agree that Half Life 1 is much better than Half Life 2. The worst thing about Half Life 2 is that you and the enemies move so slowly that the combat is about bullet sponging and picking up health and suit energy.

Agriculture

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic